or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 8

post #211 of 70896
I see people turn off the HVAC etc., before running Audyssey. I did that, but I can't turn off my projector -- or I won't be able to see the audyssey setup from my receiver (an Onkyo TX-SR805). Note that this is the Audyssey incorporated in the receiver itself (Audyssey MultiEQ XT).

Audyssey seemed to run fine -- but I'm wondering if the projector's fan noise played a detrimental role. I did have it on the lowest fan setting possible (I have an Epson 810 pj).
post #212 of 70896
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

...I can't turn off my projector -- or I won't be able to see the audyssey setup from my receiver (an Onkyo TX-SR805).

I can't speak for Onkyo, but for Denon you just look at the receiver's display. It would seem pretty foolish to mandate a video connection... who's to say that you have your receiver hooked up to a tv?
post #213 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr View Post

I can't speak for Onkyo, but for Denon you just look at the receiver's display. It would seem pretty foolish to mandate a video connection... who's to say that you have your receiver hooked up to a tv?

True -- but its much harder to work just with the display.
post #214 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

True -- but its much harder to work just with the display.

Not as convenient but I didn't find it "much harder".
post #215 of 70896
Are there any "professional" reviews out there of the implementation of Audyssey MultiEQ XT, that is incorporated into the new Onkyo and Denon receivers?

Just curious as to whether it works as well as advertised? Does it really do what it is supposed to do?
post #216 of 70896
The Denon's of the recent generations have been reviewed in several mags. Some of us have actually measured the performance. I would think you could Google it.

http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/106mitr/
http://www.stereophile.com/musicinth...itr/index.html
post #217 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Maybe someday (or maybe it already exists in the PC or pro audio) you'll have a curve and you can grab and drag any point on it to make the shape you want.

Yes it does exist, take a look at the animation on the second row here:
http://www.lake.com.au/
post #218 of 70896
Very cool, thanks for the link.
post #219 of 70896
I am having a problem with audyssey on my Onkyo TX-SR605 crushing the highs with its equalizer. I tried mounting the microphone to the top of a metal rod standing upright instead of the chair like an earlier faq suggested, but that still didn't fix the problem. The MCACC function I had with a pioneer receiver didn't exhibit this problem and it set its equalizer just fine, so it has something to do with audyssey specifically.

More on my problem here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10951108
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10952623
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10953127
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10956935
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10957307

Does anybody have any ideas of what I might try to fix this problem before returning/exchanging the receiver?
post #220 of 70896
Thanks for the Ausyssey info... I guess really, we'll have to wait till these things are out to see how it works. If if there's one thing we ain't good at... It's waiting :-D

Cheers

Mikie
post #221 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post

I am having a problem with audyssey on my Onkyo TX-SR605 crushing the highs with its equalizer. I tried mounting the microphone to the top of a metal rod standing upright instead of the chair like an earlier faq suggested, but that still didn't fix the problem. The MCACC function I had with a pioneer receiver didn't exhibit this problem and it set its equalizer just fine, so it has something to do with audyssey specifically.

More on my problem here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10951108
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10952623
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10953127
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10956935
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10957307

Does anybody have any ideas of what I might try to fix this problem before returning/exchanging the receiver?

Does your version of Audyssey offer any options for FR curve? The default on the Denon 4806 is with significant roll-off but I preferred it with the flat setting.
post #222 of 70896
Don't think so.
post #223 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post

Don't think so.

Well, that could be it. I found the default Audyssey curve to dull the HF more than a bit.

Here's a dirtly trick: Put a tissue or fine handkerchief over each of the tweeters when you do the calibration and then remove them for listening.
post #224 of 70896
FWIW I can achieve the same effect of the audyssey equalizer by manually amplifying the lower frequencies and attenuating anything 2500hz or above, so I am pretty sure that the audyssey equalizer is doing something similar, though there doesn't seem to be any way of adjusting the settings it automatically determined.
post #225 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr View Post

I can't speak for Onkyo, but for Denon you just look at the receiver's display. It would seem pretty foolish to mandate a video connection... who's to say that you have your receiver hooked up to a tv?

Well on 2nd thought, since the projector will generally be on when the speakers are playing, would it make more sense to run Audyssey with the projector on -- in other words, so Audyssey compensates for the fan noise from the projector?
post #226 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Well on 2nd thought, since the projector will generally be on when the speakers are playing, would it make more sense to run Audyssey with the projector on -- in other words, so Audyssey compensates for the fan noise from the projector?

Actually I think the opposite would happen....any auto-eq system that picks up the fan noise is going to assume it is coming from the speakers, and therefore the speaker volume in that region of the spectrum is going to get adjusted to a level slightly below what it really should be.

Of course, with a NORMAL EQ, NOT the Audyssey, the user could sample the fan noise and then make a manual adjustment to the system EQ, making the speakers louder in that part of the spectrum.

That's one reason I've soured on Audyssey....lack of user control.
post #227 of 70896
Has there ever been any reports of Audyssey EQ XT introducing an audio delay?

I have the Onkyo 805 and I found that there is a substantial delay of 47-67ms (depending on how far i set the spkr distances). I experience this even when I disabled Audyssey and using direct/pure audio mode (minimal processing). Some of us suspect that the Audyssey filters could be introducing the delay even when turned off.

The lower model Onkyo 605, which uses the Audyssey 2EQ, does not have this problem.
post #228 of 70896
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGoD View Post

Has there ever been any reports of Audyssey EQ XT introducing an audio delay?

I have the Onkyo 805 and I found that there is a substantial delay of 47-67ms (depending on how far i set the spkr distances). I experience this even when I disabled Audyssey and using direct/pure audio mode (minimal processing). Some of us suspect that the Audyssey filters could be introducing the delay even when turned off.

Must you post this identical message in every single thread on this board that even mentions Audyssey? It's considered to be quite rude. Whatever you may suspect, the Audyssey circuitry is bypassed in pure audio mode; it would be quite fraudulent otherwise.
post #229 of 70896
Sorry, just trying to get down to what the problem is. Please understand.

Since there are only 2 recievers on the market currently that have this technology (onkyo 805 and the denon) so I have to ask around a bit to see if there is a problem with the Audyssey or if it is an Onkyo problem.

Since this technology is new for Onkyo owners, I figure that people who are familiar with this technology might have better answers.
post #230 of 70896
Well chalk me up as an Audyssey "Pro" fanboy. The SEQ is an exceptional room EQ and I am very impressed with the improvements I garnered from it in my system. I'm not going to bore anyone with a bunch of time-tired audio adjectives, just take it from an old dog that has been chasing the audio bone a long time, it's worth the effort to check it out.
post #231 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr View Post

Must you post this identical message in every single thread on this board that even mentions Audyssey? It's considered to be quite rude. Whatever you may suspect, the Audyssey circuitry is bypassed in pure audio mode; it would be quite fraudulent otherwise.

Why so defensive? How do you define "bypassed"? I'm a guitarist and many traditional guitar effect pedals had a bypass, but when bypass was selected the guitar signal wasn't truly/totally removed from the pedal's circuitry.

I suspect the same to possibly be true with Audyssey. That is to say, Audyssey may not affect the sound when in Pure Audio mode, but the signal might still be partially exposed to the Audyssey circuitry. Why else would there NOT be a delay in the multichannel inputs, yet there is one with every other input and sound mode?

I reviewed the 805/875 manual and unless I'm overlooking, nowhere does it say the signal doesn't run through Audyssey when in Pure Audio mode.
post #232 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

I reviewed the 805/875 manual and unless I'm overlooking, nowhere does it say the signal doesn't run through Audyssey when in Pure Audio mode.

I'm not familiar with the 805/875 topologies but it is typical that "Pure" modes completely by-pass all but the necessary processing chipsets. In some cases the power to auxillary processing circuits including video is switched off in that mode. Typically if it designated as "Pure" anything, the shortest signal path possible is used.
Using your anology, think of two switchable outputs (A or B) from your guitar; one going to the pedal control then pre-amp and one going straight to the pre-amp.. same idea....
post #233 of 70896
wonder how's the performance of those amps use Audyssey MultiEQ XT [say Denon 4308ci $2500 or Onkyo 905 $2100] vs Audyssey original sound EQ?
Audyssey EQ

and Audyssey EQ [$2500] vs SVS Audyssey [$unknown] since it has MultiEQ XT too?
SVS Audyssey

do I need to buy such stand alone EQ from either Audyssey or SVS?

tks
post #234 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I'm not familiar with the 805/875 topologies but it is typical that "Pure" modes completely by-pass all but the necessary processing chipsets. In some cases the power to auxillary processing circuits including video is switched off in that mode. Typically if it designated as "Pure" anything, the shortest signal path possible is used.
Using your anology, think of two switchable outputs (A or B) from your guitar; one going to the pedal control then pre-amp and one going straight to the pre-amp.. same idea....


"Pure" mode on the Onkyos disables the analog video circuitry and a few other functions nonessential to audio playback. "Direct" mode is the one that minimizes audio processing. I think they both can be engaged at the same time, but not entirely sure.
post #235 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by lienly View Post

wonder how's the performance of those amps use Audyssey MultiEQ XT [say Denon 4308ci $2500 or Onkyo 905 $2100] vs Audyssey original sound EQ?
Audyssey EQ

and Audyssey EQ [$2500] vs SVS Audyssey [$unknown] since it has MultiEQ XT too?
SVS Audyssey

do I need to buy such stand alone EQ from either Audyssey or SVS?

tks

The Audyssey XT is one of the better auto-eq's I've experienced. Obviously the SEQ has more processing power, so it has capability to take more room measurements and do more calculations to really fine tune a room. The answer to your question is that it depends on the room and your tastes.

You couldn't use the SEQ if you're not using an outboard amp because it is designed to be put between processor and amp. The SEQ uses the "XT Pro" software and works with an installers kit that has a calibrated microphone & pre-amp which runs on a laptop and then downloads the information for the filters to the SEQ. I believe both of the units you mentioned are "Pro" capable so you could have an installer come in and calibrate them with the kit. The "Pro" version does a great job with the subs so the SVS unit would be redundant.
post #236 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by lienly View Post

wonder how's the performance of those amps use Audyssey MultiEQ XT [say Denon 4308ci $2500 or Onkyo 905 $2100] vs Audyssey original sound EQ?
Audyssey EQ

The SEQ is superior to MultEQ XT on paper and in performance. For more info on the distinction: http://www.stereophile.com/musicinth...itr/index.html

Quote:


and Audyssey EQ [$2500] vs SVS Audyssey [$unknown] since it has MultiEQ XT too?
SVS Audyssey

No one knows but they have different applications. Apples vs. oranges.

Quote:


do I need to buy such stand alone EQ from either Audyssey or SVS?

So far.
post #237 of 70896
Kal,
You've talked to the folks at Audyssey a few times, did you have the occasion to ask if the performance of the "Pro" capable receivers & pre-pros will be on par with the SEQ?
post #238 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Kal,
You've talked to the folks at Audyssey a few times, did you have the occasion to ask if the performance of the "Pro" capable receivers & pre-pros will be on par with the SEQ?

I have not asked that because, afaik, none of the "pro-capable" units are, at this moment, really "pro-capable." Audyssey is developing the interface and then the software must be distributed. Will follow up at CEDIA.
post #239 of 70896
Running Audyssey on the new Onkyo TX-SR705 has clearly improved the sound; the bass is tighter, the mid-range sounds more open and surprisingly, the highs are more accentuated. This is different from many reports of Audyssey de-accentuating the highs (as the Audyssey website FAQ also says it does). Unfortunately, this receiver does not have setiings for "Audyssey" and "Flat"; so I don't know which target curve is being used, although I would suspect it is the "Audyssey" target curve. Using the Re-EQ function of the receiver is supposed to reduce high frequency output; so I could be wrong.
post #240 of 70896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuristix View Post

Running Audyssey on the new Onkyo TX-SR705 has clearly improved the sound; ...Unfortunately, this receiver does not have setiings for "Audyssey" and "Flat"....

Are you sure? Did you push the eq button on your remote several times? I own a Denon AVR 4806 and took for granted the Audyssey program on all AVRs had the same 3 settings (along with "Front").
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)