or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 1679

post #50341 of 70890
Can someone recommended Tripod that can be used for all measurement points for Audyssey MultiEQ XT without having to move the sofa?

So a tripod small enough to be placed on the sofa seat, and tall enough to reach ear level when placed infront of the sofa.

I was looking at Microphone boom stands, but it doesnt look like I can buy one that allows the Audyssey mic to be facing the ceiling.

I will order this tripod if all else fails: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #50342 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

am i "hurting" anything audyssey is doing by lowering those crossovers to 80?

By lowering them, you aren't getting any EQ applied to the frequencies between 80Hz and the original crossover points.
post #50343 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

I was looking at Microphone boom stands, but it doesnt look like I can buy one that allows the Audyssey mic to be facing the ceiling.

There's an adapter which can be used with the boom arm stands:

http://www.amazon.com/CM01-Camera-Di...9168684&sr=8-1
post #50344 of 70890
Ahh now its getting pricey. I think im going to go with a 57" tripod as listed here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #50345 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

Ahh now its getting pricey. I think im going to go with a 57" tripod as listed here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You'd be far better off with a mic stand, but not a cheap one. I made the mistake of buying a cheap one, before spending a bit more on a decent one.

If you want to do it once and do it properly, get the adapter and one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-BL3-Ult...9169266&sr=1-1

It's the same stand that Audyssey supply with their Pro Kit.
post #50346 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

By lowering them, you aren't getting any EQ applied to the frequencies between 80Hz and the original crossover points.

thanks. i wish it didn't sound so much better to me leaving the crossovers at 80 at least for the center channel. i really want to do audyssey the "right" way... i may try some more calibrations with new measuring positions.
post #50347 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

thanks. i wish it didn't sound so much better to me leaving the crossovers at 80 at least for the center channel. i really want to do audyssey the "right" way... i may try some more calibrations with new measuring positions.

Have you experimented with re-positioning your center channel. Without a picture of your room there's quite a bit of guesswork involved - however moving your CC forward if it is recessed, or on a shelf, and aiming your CC at your ear level seating position may help your situation.
post #50348 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

looking for some guidance...i have been doing a lot of audyssey testing with my Onkyo 709 (i'm one of the ones having to use the MUSIC curve because of the Onkyo glitch). I notice that Audyssey sets my main/center/surround crossovers to 100hz or 120hz. i know they are "rated" to do 80 on the mains and 100 on the surrounds, but i know that being rated to do that doesn't necessarily make it so. Still, things sound so much better to me when i lower the crossover to 80 on the center and mains. am i "hurting" anything audyssey is doing by lowering those crossovers to 80?

I'm the opposite audssy puts my mains and center at 40 and 60 but I raise it to 80. I'm wondering do I loose the eq?
post #50349 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post


I'm the opposite audssy puts my mains and center at 40 and 60 but I raise it to 80. I'm wondering do I loose the eq?

No
post #50350 of 70890
My mains+subs have a null of -7db@55hz. Subs alone have a -17db@55hz null.
Would you EQ the subs alone first with multiple subs filling in the -17db null, or fill in only -7db as the mains and sub have that size null combined....

Then run Audyssey....i corrected for the -17db because Audyssey calibrates subs alone, but combines them later...i think
post #50351 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

My mains+subs have a null of -7db@55hz. Subs alone have a -17db@55hz null.

kg, how did you get to these conclusions, care to share?


Quote:


Would you EQ the subs alone first with multiple subs filling in the -17db null, or fill in only -7db as the mains and sub have that size null combined....

How can someone controll the "fill in"?


Quote:


Then run Audyssey....i corrected for the -17db because Audyssey calibrates subs alone, but combines them later...i think

How did you correct for the -17 dB?
post #50352 of 70890
Multiple subs around the room fill in the null, which makes scense when i add in the mains, the null is reduced.

The null is produced by the location of the main quad subwoofer system up front, but the null is a killer. With a sub on either side of the main LP they fill in the null across the seating position.

I have an Omnimic system from PE, super software and mic combination. I love it....

Here is the main sub and the main sub + aux sub
post #50353 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

Multiple subs around the room fill in the null, which makes scense when i add in the mains, the null is reduced.

The null is produced by the location of the main quad subwoofer system up front, but the null is a killer. With a sub on either side of the main LP they fill in the null across the seating position.

Whatever you say!
post #50354 of 70890
I watched Dispicable Me the other night after filling in the null, and rerunning Audyssey... I have to say the bass has never sounded so full, it was weird to sit at any place on the sofa or measure anywhere on the sofa and it measures the same, cool stuff that multiple subs...
post #50355 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Whatever you say!

I wouldnt of believed it if i didnt measure it myself, and build the sub, its sick.

What do you use to measure your systems over there, i see alot of great equipment you guys install, i hope you are not crawling around on the floor looking for the right spot LOL
post #50356 of 70890
Per crutchfield, using two subs will not make things better in my 16 x 16 ht room, especially running adyssey xt since it can not detect two separate subs.

What do you guys think?
post #50357 of 70890
i was having audio drops and subwoofer was cutting out on my denon 1609.

i checked to see if everything was set to small. also for crossovers it set (i cant remember which was which) 80, one at 90 and another at 120. so i changed the two down to 80.

now the audyssey light is red, not green. cant find anything in the manual on this but is audyssey still enabled? the system sounds the same as before as far as i can tell.
post #50358 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

now the audyssey light is red, not green. cant find anything in the manual on this but is audyssey still enabled? the system sounds the same as before as far as i can tell.

If there is no red or green light, then MultiEQ is off. The Audyssey light glows red when the Audyssey MultiEQ system is switched in. It glows green when MultiEQ is on and Dynamic Volume is also turned on. The Dynamic Volume feature compresses the dynamic range of the sound, which can be helpful for late night listening. Your manual will tell you how to turn it off if you don't want it on.
post #50359 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez81 View Post

Per crutchfield, using two subs will not make things better in my 16 x 16 ht room, especially running adyssey xt since it can not detect two separate subs.

What do you guys think?

They havent a clue to multiple sub placement. Having two dimensions the same doubles axial modes , but its not impossible to fix it. Fix the sub response before Ausyssey gets it, you can over drive your sub with Audyssey attempting to fix a null, good thing the best it can do is add 10db to any given frequency, but thats enough to over drive a sub.

Multiple subs are not co-located, they are placed mid wall on four oposing walls. I lucked out and will only need two on either side of the LP and a huge group front center...

Read Welti-Devantier
post #50360 of 70890
^^^^ unless you live in Hungary, multiple subs dont work there
post #50361 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

If there is no red or green light, then MultiEQ is off. The Audyssey light glows red when the Audyssey MultiEQ system is switched in. It glows green when MultiEQ is on and Dynamic Volume is also turned on. The Dynamic Volume feature compresses the dynamic range of the sound, which can be helpful for late night listening. Your manual will tell you how to turn it off if you don't want it on.

actually his 1609 model works a bit differently.

there are two red/green lights:

1) the MultEQ light is green when Audyssey is on "default" settings, and red if you have changed something (this became the box / no box thing on later models)

2) the Dyn EQ/Vol light is green when both Dyn EQ+Vol are on, and red when only Dyn EQ is on (and Dyn Vol is off)

@ Luisfc -- this is discussed on pg 33-34 of your manual. The light changing from green to red is just letting you know that you changed something away from the way it was set after running Audyssey. Nothing to worry about
post #50362 of 70890
^^^
I should have waited for the Denon Jedi master (batpig) before I answered. Thanks for weighing in with the right answer.
post #50363 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

i was having audio drops and subwoofer was cutting out on my denon 1609.

i checked to see if everything was set to small. also for crossovers it set (i cant remember which was which) 80, one at 90 and another at 120. so i changed the two down to 80.

now the audyssey light is red, not green. cant find anything in the manual on this but is audyssey still enabled? the system sounds the same as before as far as i can tell.

Actually, if you had bothered to read even a few posts before yours, lowering crossovers is a no-no. You can raise crossovers any time you wish, but Audyssey only corrects to the lower F3 point. Lowering the crossover below that produces an unEQ'd hole in the response.


Max
post #50364 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Actually, if you had bothered to read even a few posts before yours,


Max

i respectfully and sincerely apologize to you mr. high and mighty.

i did not read the 1680 pages and 50381 posts of this thread. you see, i came home from work tired. i hope you can forgive me for not reading the last few posts before mine. again, i am sorry, mr. perfect.
post #50365 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

actually his 1609 model works a bit differently.

there are two red/green lights:

1) the MultEQ light is green when Audyssey is on "default" settings, and red if you have changed something (this became the box / no box thing on later models)

2) the Dyn EQ/Vol light is green when both Dyn EQ+Vol are on, and red when only Dyn EQ is on (and Dyn Vol is off)

@ Luisfc -- this is discussed on pg 33-34 of your manual. The light changing from green to red is just letting you know that you changed something away from the way it was set after running Audyssey. Nothing to worry about

thanks
post #50366 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

i respectfully and sincerely apologize to you mr. high and mighty.

i did not read the 1680 pages and 50381 posts of this thread. you see, i came home from work tired. i hope you can forgive me for not reading the last few posts before mine. again, i am sorry, mr. perfect.

I get the same thing for starting a thread that already exsists.....oh well
post #50367 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

I think your case needs some careful troubleshooting.

If you don't mind, here are some starter questions:

1. What speakers do you have?
2. What trims were set for your other speakers and sub?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My "problematic" front L/R speakers are humongous Sound Lab electrostatic panels (3 feet wide and 8 feet tall) which are indeed very/very inefficient needing an absolute minimum of 100 watts per channel; The input gain set by Audyssey had to be maxed at +12dB and that brought their output to barely 70dB.
I tried using the XLR connections instead of RCA connections of my Integra DHC-80.2 (11 volts output versus 5.5 volts) and ran them directly to the XLR inputs of my front L/R amplifier, but that did not raise the gain of the amp/speakers in any measured way, the output of the speakers stayed the same at 70dB.
Since my front L/R speakers are incapable of producing the recommended 75dB level i figure i should use that baseline number of 70dB output and lower the input trim gain for all other speakers in my system to match that same level; I noticed afterwards that my system finally sounded like it should after being equalized by Audyssey, with much/much better balance between front/rear/center channels.
The trims set by Audyssey MultEQ XT32 for all other speakers were fine, all centered around - 5dB to + 2.5 dB on a scale of - 12dB to + 12dB with all speakers reaching 75dB with plenty of spare gain available for proper calibration, but all had to be lowered by about 5dB.
So, apparently due to my "especial" circumstance, the maximum sound pressure level that can be achieved in my HT room is to be no higher than 100dB (NOT that THX figure of 105dB) after using calibration by Audyssey MultEQ XT32 AND properly setting input gain and output level for all channels. Not that i am planning listening to music or watching a movie at such high levels, but why is it up to Audyssey to control that exclusively and not we, the users ? What if anyone's HT system is capable of outputting distortionless sound at 107/110 dB level and yet its main A/V processor precludes him from doing so ? Hmm...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos
post #50368 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My "problematic" front L/R speakers are humongous Sound Lab electrostatic panels (3 feet wide and 8 feet tall) which are indeed very/very inefficient needing an absolute minimum of 100 watts per channel; The input gain set by Audyssey had to be maxed at +12dB and that brought their output to barely 70dB.
-
Marcos

Marcos, I looked into the specs of your Sound Lab panels just to check their efficiency. These speakers are typically rated at 88 dB which I wouldn't call "very inefficient", at that rate in a "normal" room they should easily fit into the +/- 12 dB trim range of Audyssey.

Some tips:

1. Can you swap the speaker cables on one of the SL panels with the center speaker (just for test), rerun Audyssey and see if the max. out issue follows the speaker. If not, there might be some software issue inside the AVR, so best option would be to do a microprocessor reset, then rerun Audyssey again.

2. If the problem follows the speaker, there might be issues with the SL panel itself (actually both). Are you still under warranty?

Report back please.
post #50369 of 70890
Feri, i am very sure that the problem lies with the electrostatic panels; They have a bias adjustment control that seem to loose output over time that need to be raised occasionally, but you have to be very/very careful or you'd end up damaging the panels and needing factory servicing, as it happened to me some years ago; I can use the control only very sparingly and can only raise it briefly (no longer than 30 seconds or so) to increase output level for the speaker.
By using the bias control i was able to raise the level of the Left speaker, which was even lower than the Right speaker, to at least match that 70db level, but couldn't bring the level for both speakers any higher than that.
I bought the Sound Labs from a different speaker manufacturer that used them as comparison standard to their products and there wasn't any warranty involved, so when i needed those fussy electrostatic panels reconditioned it only cost me over $2,000.00 between repairs and shipping charges, ugh....
....And yet i love the sound of electrostatic speakers, especially the sound of a full range panel capable of reaching down to a measured 32~35Hz, although i have them crossed over to subwoofers at 80Hz.
BTW, thanks for the interest and suggestions !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos
post #50370 of 70890
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

you can over drive your sub with Audyssey attempting to fix a null

Do you have any proof of this? I thought the Audyssey algorithm limited overall boost to compensate for boost of any one frequency.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)