or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 1979

post #59341 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer View Post

Have made some small changes in the room and thought I would calibrate after the new conditions!

That is appropriate if the changes involve moving speakers or changing acoustical treatments. It's probably not necessary if the changes were something like moving furniture a little.

Jeff
post #59342 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I am not sure I am following you. If you got a calibration result that was "perfect", why did you do the calibration again?

Have made some small changes in the room and thought I would calibrate after the new conditions!

OK that makes sense. It's always a good idea to make some notes about mic placement etc when running Audyssey so that you can repeat known good circumstances if necessary.

 

I'm surprised you are getting very big differences between one calibration and another if you are using essentially similar mic positions for each run and if nothing of any great  significance has been changed in the room (speaker/sub placement etc). Usually there are differences but they are fairly small if a second calibration has been made while using the same mic spots, number of measurements and so on. It's a pity you don't (I assume) have any form of measuring gear so that we could see what is really happening. In the absence of that, all I can suggest is you run Audyssey again, following the Audyssey 101 (linked in my sig) as closely as possible and see if you can recapture that terrific result you had before.

post #59343 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer View Post

Have made some small changes in the room and thought I would calibrate after the new conditions!

That is appropriate if the changes involve moving speakers or changing acoustical treatments. It's probably not necessary if the changes were something like moving furniture a little.

Jeff

 

:)  I think that depends on his degree of Audyssey Obsessive Syndrome... advanced patients report re-running Audyssey because someone borrowed a book from one of the shelves at the back....

post #59344 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

smile.gif  I think that depends on his degree of Audyssey Obsessive Syndrome... advanced patients report re-running Audyssey because someone borrowed a book from one of the shelves at the back....

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's funny. I remember when I first got my avr with Audyssey during Christmas we had decorations around the family room and even though Chris with Audyssey told me there was no need to rerun after the decorations are put up I went ahead and reran Audyssey just for peace of mind.
post #59345 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

smile.gif  I think that depends on his degree of Audyssey Obsessive Syndrome... advanced patients report re-running Audyssey because someone borrowed a book from one of the shelves at the back....

I've done some small things in the room recently so I think I have good qualifications to redo the calibration ;-)!









Soon finished :-)!
post #59346 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer View Post

I've done some small things in the room recently so I think I have good qualifications to redo the calibration ;-)!









Soon finished :-)!

That is going to be one very nice room!
post #59347 of 70885
*sigh*
I wish I had the opportunity to make those kinds of changes....
post #59348 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Thanks for the feedback.  Just to be certain that I'm doing the FR sweep correctly using OM, I have my Integra set to Dolby PLIIx (Audyssey off) and I was using Track 2 (monophonic short sine sweep).  I guess in this mode this track is playing to all speakers because when I wanted to measure only the sub, I had to turn off both of my external amps that are driving my LCR and 4 surrounds to avoid having any other speakers chirp.
A mono sound played with PLIIx Movie mode will come only from the center speaker (well, 60 dB separation). If it comes from L/C/R that seems to be Music mode. If it also comes from the surrounds something odd is happening.

The L/R sweeps can be used for those channels.
post #59349 of 70885
Fischer - that thing on the ceiling is the most impressive diffusor I have ever seen. Are you using an acoustician for your design?

Jeff
post #59350 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer View Post

I've done some small things in the room recently so I think I have good qualifications to redo the calibration ;-)!



Fischer, are those the JBL 5732 high power screen arrays? smile.gif
post #59351 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

smile.gif  I think that depends on his degree of Audyssey Obsessive Syndrome... advanced patients report re-running Audyssey because someone borrowed a book from one of the shelves at the back....

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's funny. I remember when I first got my avr with Audyssey during Christmas we had decorations around the family room and even though Chris with Audyssey told me there was no need to rerun after the decorations are put up I went ahead and reran Audyssey just for peace of mind.

I think you qualify for treatment in the Audyssey Wing of the Neurosis Center LOL!!  

post #59352 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

*sigh*
I wish I had the opportunity to make those kinds of changes....

You and me both, Selden....

 

I hope the little girl moved out the way before the initial speaker test. I guess she did - I didn't spot her plastered onto the back wall :)

post #59353 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Fischer - that thing on the ceiling is the most impressive diffusor I have ever seen. Are you using an acoustician for your design?

Jeff

Yes I have acoustician that helps me with everything
post #59354 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Fischer, are those the JBL 5732 high power screen arrays? smile.gif

It's JBL 3732 (mains) and 4645c (subs)
post #59355 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer View Post

It's JBL 3732 (mains) and 4645c (subs)

Well, the little girl standing in front of those scary things reminds me of Poltergeist saying "They're .. HEre."

Jeff
post #59356 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post


Thanks batpig,

I calibrated both systems but for testing I turned off Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume and used the exact same source to test to minimize the variables. I don't have a reliable SPL meter on hand that I can use (just an iPad app) so I didn't conduct any measurments. However, the difference in volume is obvious.

The rooms are in fact very different but it is the larger room with taller ceilings that sounds much louder - that's what's suprising. The larger room 2,650 cubic feet and has hardwood floors, I'm running 8ohm Polk RTi towers with a matching centre, dipole surrounds and back surround speakers. The quieter room is about 1,000 cubic feet but it's carpeted, I'm running 8ohm Energy RC towers with a matching centre and dipole surrounds. Both setups are powered by Denon 331x receivers and I have a 12" Velodyne sub in each room.

Even though I expect the room with the hardwood floors to be livelier I'm surprised at how much louder it actually sounds at the same volume level, is this normal?

Carpets absorb the sound, ever seen carpet in a concert hall, not!  Hardwood floor and wood on the walls check out the "LA Disney Concert Hall"

post #59357 of 70885

Audyssey Announces DSX 2

 

http://www.audyssey.com/about/press-releases/2013/01/10/audyssey-announces-dsx-2-stereo-surround-expansion

 

I am looking forward to see how good that is! I bet Onkyo will be the first one with it :)

post #59358 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Carpets absorb the sound, ever seen carpet in a concert hall, not!  Hardwood floor and wood on the walls check out the "LA Disney Concert Hall"

1.  Carpets absorb HF sound but do little/nothing for the LF.

2.  Not a valid comparison since the concert hall is a place for music production/creation while the home room is for music reproduction/recreation.  What you are suggesting is analogous to those who make speakers in the materials and shape of a musical instrument with the expectation that it will sound like the instrument when playing recordings.  Illogical.

post #59359 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

1.  Carpets absorb HF sound but do little/nothing for the LF.
2.  Not a valid comparison since the concert hall is a place for music production/creation while the home room is for music reproduction/recreation.  What you are suggesting is analogous to those who make speakers in the materials and shape of a musical instrument with the expectation that it will sound like the instrument when playing recordings.  Illogical.

Thanks Kal. I suppose it's possible that my perception that the playback volume is lower has to do with the absorption of high frequency sounds. I guess I'll have to pick up a sound meter to see if there is a real difference in volume. I didn't feel the need to get one given that I had just relied on Audyssey to set everything up but the volume disparity in my two HT setups has me curious.
post #59360 of 70885
Hey guys, I bought a Denon AVR-3313 about a week ago and I'm quite happy with the SQ. It seems to capably drive my 7.1 setup consisting of 8 ohm Polk RTi towers and matching centre, surrounds, and surround back speakers. The AVR doesn't seem to have any problems delivering clean sound at the reference level.

However, not having heard what Audyssey XT32 can do I was wondering whether those of you who have moved from XT to XT32 feel it would be worth it to spend an additional $850+tax to move up to a 4520. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW, my setup is not in a dedicated HT room, it's in a family room that is not in anyway treated and includes furniture such as a coffee table between the MLP and the center channel. As well, speakers are not necessarily placed in optimal locations (e.g. the sub is off in the front left corner - a full 6 feet away from the front left main speaker). I guess I'm wondering whether upgrading to a better version of Audyssey is worth if the room is never going to be ideal, or in other words, in such a setting is the jump to XT32 likely to be more or less beneficial than for those looking to squeeze the last bit of performance from their speakers in an otherwise ideal environment?
Edited by EVT - 1/22/13 at 9:02pm
post #59361 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

1.  Carpets absorb HF sound but do little/nothing for the LF.

2.  Not a valid comparison since the concert hall is a place for music production/creation while the home room is for music reproduction/recreation.  What you are suggesting is analogous to those who make speakers in the materials and shape of a musical instrument with the expectation that it will sound like the instrument when playing recordings.  Illogical.

 

Hello Kal

 

1.  Carpets absorb HF sound but do little/nothing for the LF. Agreed 

 

2.  Not a valid comparison since the concert hall is a place for music production/creation

 

I am sorry to disagree.  I am not suggesting anything! I am saying that concert halls are made with a lot of wood that's all, and yes I prefer the sound of a concert hall than a cinema.

post #59362 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Carpets absorb the sound, ever seen carpet in a concert hall, not!  Hardwood floor and wood on the walls check out the "LA Disney Concert Hall"

 

That is true, but they generally have absorption and/or diffusion on the ceiling then to compensate. If you have a bare ceiling and a bare floor in a domestic room then you are likely to have problems with reflections. For most of us, with carpeted floors, the floor acts as the absorber and the ceiling is left untreated, giving a balance. If you have a bare floor at home, then it may be worthwhile to treat the ceiling at the major reflection points.

post #59363 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

Thanks Kal. I suppose it's possible that my perception that the playback volume is lower has to do with the absorption of high frequency sounds. I guess I'll have to pick up a sound meter to see if there is a real difference in volume. I didn't feel the need to get one given that I had just relied on Audyssey to set everything up but the volume disparity in my two HT setups has me curious.

 

A treated room will usually require a higher setting on the MV than an untreated one - by treating the room you are removing energy from it (absorbing it) so it's logical to expect that it will 'not sound as loud'. 

post #59364 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

Hey guys, I bought a Denon AVR-3313 about a week ago and I'm quite happy with the SQ. It seems to capably drive my 7.1 setup consisting of 8 ohm Polk RTi towers and matching centre, surrounds, and surround back speakers. The AVR doesn't seem to have any problems delivering clean sound at the reference level.

However, not having heard what Audyssey XT32 can do I was wondering whether those of you who have moved from XT to XT32 feel it would be worth it to spend an additional $850+tax to move up to a 4520. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW, my setup is not in a dedicated HT room, it's in a family room that is not in anyway treated and includes furniture such as a coffee table between the MLP and the center channel. As well, speakers are not necessarily placed in optimal locations (e.g. the sub is off in the front left corner - a full 6 feet away from the front left main speaker). I guess I'm wondering whether upgrading to a better version of Audyssey is worth if the room is never going to be ideal, or in other words, in such a setting is the jump to XT32 likely to be more or less beneficial than for those looking to squeeze the last bit of performance from their speakers in an otherwise ideal environment?

 

XT32 is a substantial step up from XT, especially in the way it equalises the bass. One could argue that the less ideal the room, the better the electronic EQ you need. 

 

Here is the difference between the various flavours of MultEQ:

 

h)2.   What is the difference between the various versions of MultEQ?

 

Only you can say if it is worth spending the extra, but there is no doubt that XT32 is a significant upgrade over XT (I did that exact upgrade myself FWIW). I heard immediate and obvious benefits to the bass. This was before I treated my room - the difference would, I expect, be more subtle now.

post #59365 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Hello Kal

I am sorry to disagree.  I am not suggesting anything! I am saying that concert halls are made with a lot of wood that's all, and yes I prefer the sound of a concert hall than a cinema.

A concert hall is for PRODUCTION of music, a listening room is for REPRODUCTION of music. Characteristics ideal for one are negative for the other.
post #59366 of 70885
I have in ceiling speakers and I have a ceiling fan close to the mains. Does the ceiling fan cause reflexions?
post #59367 of 70885
I received this email this AM. As I hear more, I will let you know:



(I'm not sure why I was "privileged" to get this.)
post #59368 of 70885
I have question regarding Audyssey based on my observation:
I have my subwoofer volume set very low (due to having an Antimode 8033 in the chain). During the Audyssey subwoofer calibration, the poop-poop-poop sound is heard (very soft), then 2nd round of poop-poop-poop is heard again but at a slightly louder volume. In the end, I got a +3.5dB on the LFE trim. AVR is Denon 3312.

Is it normal that Audyssey will do a 2nd round if the 1st round is too soft??

I don't think I can increase the subwoofer volume (on the sub amp plate) because the Antimode will clip during it's own calibration.
post #59369 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I have question regarding Audyssey based on my observation:
I have my subwoofer volume set very low (due to having an Antimode 8033 in the chain). During the Audyssey subwoofer calibration, the poop-poop-poop sound is heard (very soft), then 2nd round of poop-poop-poop is heard again but at a slightly louder volume. In the end, I got a +3.5dB on the LFE trim. AVR is Denon 3312.

Is it normal that Audyssey will do a 2nd round if the 1st round is too soft??

I don't think I can increase the subwoofer volume (on the sub amp plate) because the Antimode will clip during it's own calibration.


+3.5 is a good setting. Do you mean a second round back to back? Audyssey normally goes through each speaker and sub 6 or 8 times depending on the Audyssey version you have.
post #59370 of 70885
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

I have in ceiling speakers and I have a ceiling fan close to the mains. Does the ceiling fan cause reflexions?

 

Probably.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)