or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2093

post #62761 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Wow. Of course, most folks like some extra bass-it's almost universally true at lower volumes that boosted bass freqs enriches the SQ. But that's what DEQ is for.wink.gif

I think it all depends. Depends very much on the program material, indeed. For movies, I usually settle with the trim level set by Audyssey, but I can defend the OP's father whenever it comes to 2.0 ch stereo music (redbook CDs), especially some oldies that do lack bass in the recording. In my experience I did have to increase the sub trim in the AVR to +10 dB or even to +12 dB, and it was still not enough. YMMV. smile.gif

 

Yes, agreed. See my post to Beast. I always forget that people use their theater systems for music.  

post #62762 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

Depending on how loud one listens 10 or 12 dB may not be unreasonable. My informal testing showed that at -20dB on the master volume, by 40 Hz or so DEQ turned bass up by 10 dB (using test signals encoded at -20dBFS). But IMO the DEQ process is superior to blunt force turning up of the sub, once you get appropriate offsets for non-movie material.

 

Yes, just as I always forget people use HT systems to listen to music, I often forget that not everyone listens at close to Reference, as I do.  HST, DEQ should take care of the bass anyway as you say.

post #62763 of 70892
I use my music system to watch movies occasionally... wink.gif
post #62764 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Yes, agreed. See my post to Beast. I always forget that people use their theater systems for music.  

And some of us use our music systems for home theater. wink.gif

post #62765 of 70892
Perhaps a silly question.

We're advised to place the calibration mic at ear level.

What I want to know is so they mean so the top of the mic is at ear level? Or so the base of the mic is at ear level? Thus the top a few inches higher
post #62766 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krismc1 View Post

Perhaps a silly question.

We're advised to place the calibration mic at ear level.

What I want to know is so they mean so the top of the mic is at ear level? Or so the base of the mic is at ear level? Thus the top a few inches higher

Top.
post #62767 of 70892
Hello gents. I'm a new owner of an Onkyo TX-NR818, and I'm about to try my very first calibration using Audyssey. I've read the FAQS, and I'm aware what hardware is required to get the "Best possible results".

That being said, I'm not inclined to purchase $75 of hardware that I will probably only use once or twice, so I've come up with an alternative that might give decent results.

Has anyone tried using a wire music stand base, and electrical tape to tape the mic base to the tip of the music stand pole? Seems to me that it would mimic a real boom mic stand rather nicely, for no money.
post #62768 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Wilhelm View Post

Hello gents. I'm a new owner of an Onkyo TX-NR818, and I'm about to try my very first calibration using Audyssey. I've read the FAQS, and I'm aware what hardware is required to get the "Best possible results".

That being said, I'm not inclined to purchase $75 of hardware that I will probably only use once or twice, so I've come up with an alternative that might give decent results.

Has anyone tried using a wire music stand base, and electrical tape to tape the mic base to the tip of the music stand pole? Seems to me that it would mimic a real boom mic stand rather nicely, for no money.

$75? A decent boom mic stand can be purchased for considerably less than that. And, if you are being diligent, you will re-run the calibration every time something changes in your listening room, which is more often than you might think. So, rather than being stuck with a less-than-optimal solution which is likely to make calibrations more difficult and less accurate, what don't you make the investment in a good mic stand? I don't think you will regret it.
post #62769 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Wilhelm View Post

Hello gents. I'm a new owner of an Onkyo TX-NR818, and I'm about to try my very first calibration using Audyssey. I've read the FAQS, and I'm aware what hardware is required to get the "Best possible results".

That being said, I'm not inclined to purchase $75 of hardware that I will probably only use once or twice, so I've come up with an alternative that might give decent results.

Has anyone tried using a wire music stand base, and electrical tape to tape the mic base to the tip of the music stand pole? Seems to me that it would mimic a real boom mic stand rather nicely, for no money.


Here you go... $25.00 for the stand:

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Stands-MS7701-Tripod-Microphone/dp/B000978D58


You will also need this... $10.00 for the adaptor:

http://www.amazon.com/CM01-Camera-Digital-Recorder-Adapter/dp/B001GWCC4I/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1371743623&sr=1-4&keywords=on+stage+mic+adaptor


NOTE: As AJ has stated in his post above, you WILL use the stand more than once or twice! wink.gif


...Glenn smile.gif
Edited by Glenn Baumann - 6/20/13 at 9:05am
post #62770 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Wilhelm View Post

Hello gents. I'm a new owner of an Onkyo TX-NR818, and I'm about to try my very first calibration using Audyssey. I've read the FAQS, and I'm aware what hardware is required to get the "Best possible results".

That being said, I'm not inclined to purchase $75 of hardware that I will probably only use once or twice, so I've come up with an alternative that might give decent results.

Has anyone tried using a wire music stand base, and electrical tape to tape the mic base to the tip of the music stand pole? Seems to me that it would mimic a real boom mic stand rather nicely, for no money.


Here is another option as long as your music stand base has a 5/8" -27 threads.


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GWCC4I/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #62771 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Here you go... $25.00 for the stand:

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Stands-MS7701-Tripod-Microphone/dp/B000978D58


You will also need this... $10.00 for the adaptor:

http://www.amazon.com/CM01-Camera-Digital-Recorder-Adapter/dp/B001GWCC4I/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1371743623&sr=1-4&keywords=on+stage+mic+adaptor


NOTE: As AJ has stated in his post above, you WILL use the stand more than once or twice! wink.gif


...Glenn smile.gif


Well ok, I bow to your guys' sage advice. No use being penny wise and pound foolish. I guess if I spent over $2k for a new projector, receiver and screen...I can pop for another $35. smile.gif
post #62772 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Here you go... $25.00 for the stand:

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Stands-MS7701-Tripod-Microphone/dp/B000978D58


You will also need this... $10.00 for the adaptor:

http://www.amazon.com/CM01-Camera-Digital-Recorder-Adapter/dp/B001GWCC4I/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1371743623&sr=1-4&keywords=on+stage+mic+adaptor


NOTE: As AJ has stated in his post above, you WILL use the stand more than once or twice! wink.gif


...Glenn smile.gif



Thanks for the link, I just ordered this smile.gif
post #62773 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I use my music system to watch movies occasionally... wink.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Yes, agreed. See my post to Beast. I always forget that people use their theater systems for music.  

And some of us use our music systems for home theater. wink.gif

 

Touché ...

post #62774 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Wilhelm View Post

Hello gents. I'm a new owner of an Onkyo TX-NR818, and I'm about to try my very first calibration using Audyssey. I've read the FAQS, and I'm aware what hardware is required to get the "Best possible results".

That being said, I'm not inclined to purchase $75 of hardware that I will probably only use once or twice, so I've come up with an alternative that might give decent results.

Has anyone tried using a wire music stand base, and electrical tape to tape the mic base to the tip of the music stand pole? Seems to me that it would mimic a real boom mic stand rather nicely, for no money.

 

Might work. Might not. But if you get any problems and seek help here, the first thing you'll be told is "get a mic stand".  O paid less than $20 for mine and have had it for a few years now. Google around. There's a good one linked in the FAQ answer on this topic.

post #62775 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Wilhelm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Here you go... $25.00 for the stand:

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Stands-MS7701-Tripod-Microphone/dp/B000978D58


You will also need this... $10.00 for the adaptor:

http://www.amazon.com/CM01-Camera-Digital-Recorder-Adapter/dp/B001GWCC4I/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1371743623&sr=1-4&keywords=on+stage+mic+adaptor


NOTE: As AJ has stated in his post above, you WILL use the stand more than once or twice! wink.gif


...Glenn smile.gif


Well ok, I bow to your guys' sage advice. No use being penny wise and pound foolish. I guess if I spent over $2k for a new projector, receiver and screen...I can pop for another $35. smile.gif

 

 

You got it! :)

post #62776 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Here is another option as long as your music stand base has a 5/8" -27 threads.
Does every mic stand has 5/8" -27 threads? Is it universal worldwide (including those from region where metric mm is the norm)? I know camera tripod mounting is universal...but not sure about mic stand.

Do you install the CM01 adaptor to the end of the horizontal boom? Is it possible that there are boom without thread? I'm referring to those cheap made in china stuff.
post #62777 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Does every mic stand has 5/8" -27 threads? Is it universal worldwide (including those from region where metric mm is the norm)? I know camera tripod mounting is universal...but not sure about mic stand.

Do you install the CM01 adaptor to the end of the horizontal boom? Is it possible that there are boom without thread? I'm referring to those cheap made in china stuff.


^^^

"Do you install the CM01 adaptor to the end of the horizontal boom?"

Yes, the adaptor mounts to the end of the horizontal boom.



"Is it possible that there are boom without thread?"

I would think that the thread is pretty much standard.



"I'm referring to those cheap made in china stuff."

Just purchase the Mic Stand suggested in the above posts...Very inexpensive indeed!

Do you live outside the USA?


...Glenn smile.gif
post #62778 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Does every mic stand has 5/8" -27 threads? Is it universal worldwide (including those from region where metric mm is the norm)? I know camera tripod mounting is universal...but not sure about mic stand.

Do you install the CM01 adaptor to the end of the horizontal boom? Is it possible that there are boom without thread? I'm referring to those cheap made in china stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

^^^

"Do you install the CM01 adaptor to the end of the horizontal boom?"

Yes, the adaptor mounts to the end of the horizontal boom.



"Is it possible that there are boom without thread?"

I would think that the thread is pretty much standard.



"I'm referring to those cheap made in china stuff."

Just purchase the Mic Stand suggested in the above posts...Very inexpensive indeed!

Do you live outside the USA?


...Glenn smile.gif

+1 on Glenn's comments, very inexpensive indeed and you will be using it way more than you actually think.
post #62779 of 70892
Since my dual subs are relatively close to my main listening position and also on a hardwood suspended floor I opted to up the isolation ante and I purchased these Boom Microphone Stand isolators which are supposed to isolate the microphone from destructive resonances.

As to there effectiveness I cant comment but I figured hey what the heck it probably could not hurt... it is all about isolating the mic right! wink.gif


I purchased these Primacoustic Tripad Isolators:

http://www.primacoustic.com/tripads.htm


Purchased from here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/primacoustic-tripad-tripod-mic-stand-isolator


...Glenn smile.gif
post #62780 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Since my dual subs are relatively close to my main listening position and also on a hardwood suspended floor I opted to up the isolation ante and I purchased these Boom Microphone Stand isolators which are supposed to isolate the microphone from destructive resonances.

As to there effectiveness I cant comment but I figured hey what the heck it probably could not hurt... it is all about isolating the mic right! wink.gif


I purchased these Primacoustic Tripad Isolators:

http://www.primacoustic.com/tripads.htm


Purchased from here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/primacoustic-tripad-tripod-mic-stand-isolator


...Glenn smile.gif

Nice, Glen! I especially hate that foot-tapping resonance. smile.gif
post #62781 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Since my dual subs are relatively close to my main listening position and also on a hardwood suspended floor I opted to up the isolation ante and I purchased these Boom Microphone Stand isolators which are supposed to isolate the microphone from destructive resonances.

As to there effectiveness I cant comment but I figured hey what the heck it probably could not hurt... it is all about isolating the mic right! wink.gif


I purchased these Primacoustic Tripad Isolators:

http://www.primacoustic.com/tripads.htm


Purchased from here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/primacoustic-tripad-tripod-mic-stand-isolator


...Glenn smile.gif

Hi Glenn,

Me thinks those isolators are not meant to isolate the mic from "destructive resonances" (whatever that means), but from sound reaching the mic through wood (like in your case the hardwood suspended floor) where it travels faster than in plain air. smile.gif Those "destructive resonances", aka "room modes" are dependent on your room dimensions and as such are calculatable. You may look up a room mode calculator on the Net for more info on your room! smile.gif
post #62782 of 70892
Quote:
Me thinks those isolators are not meant to isolate the mic from "destructive resonances" (whatever that means), but from sound reaching the mic through wood (like in your case the hardwood suspended floor)

Well I guess it's a good thing he clearly understood that as he stated that's the specific reason he bought them wink.gif

BTW the product description said "disruptive resonances" not "destructive" and also clearly refers to isolating the mic from vibrations transmitted through the floor.

Quote:
Those "destructive resonances", aka "room modes" are dependent on your room dimensions and as such are calculatable.

Nobody was talking about room modes at all until you brought it up. Not sure what the point of your post was.
post #62783 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Well I guess it's a good thing he clearly understood that as he stated that's the specific reason he bought them wink.gif

BTW the product description said "disruptive resonances" not "destructive" and also clearly refers to isolating the mic from vibrations transmitted through the floor.
Nobody was talking about room modes at all until you brought it up. Not sure what the point of your post was.

Please feel free to look up "vibrations" and "resonance" and "room modes" and you will see how they are interrelated, or in other words mean the same thing. smile.gif
post #62784 of 70892
If it's the same thing why did you feel the need to post and draw a distinction between room modes and vibration reaching the mic through the hardwood floors? The latter is what the product claims to deal with, and it's also what the OP stated he bought them for. So what are you talking about again?????
post #62785 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

If it's the same thing why did you feel the need to post and draw a distinction between room modes and vibration reaching the mic through the hardwood floors? The latter is what the product claims to deal with, and it's also what the OP stated he bought them for. So what are you talking about again?????

Did I make a distinction between room modes and vibration? I don't think so. I was talking about sound travelling through wood faster than through plain air, wasn't I? And that is supposed to be the purpose of such isolators: to prevent sucha phenomenon. smile.gif They won't take care of room modes, no way!
Edited by mogorf - 6/20/13 at 3:23pm
post #62786 of 70892
Nobody said they would take care of room modes, but more importantly nobody was talking about room modes until you brought them up. Thus, I still don't understand why you even posted your comment in the first place.
post #62787 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Nobody said they would take care of room modes, but more importantly nobody was talking about room modes until you brought them up. Thus, I still don't understand why you even posted your comment in the first place.

Vibration = resonance = room modes! cool.gif
post #62788 of 70892
It's like talking to a wall sometimes. Why don't you just go to the product page and read the description. http://www.primacoustic.com/tripads.htm
post #62789 of 70892
Everything is context. molecules have vibrations, modes, and resonance spectroscopy can be used to study them .

So the meaning of words can be multiple and depends on context.
post #62790 of 70892
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Nice, Glen! I especially hate that foot-tapping resonance. smile.gif

I've been working at a television station for 7 years, and been in radio for over 30 years, and have never seen cheap foam pads on mic stands. This is a time tested solution:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_mount
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)