or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Phillips Blu Ray Player is...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Phillips Blu Ray Player is... - Page 3

post #61 of 222
Do you know of any BDs that have DTS-MA? Closest I've come is Kingdom Of Heaven.
post #62 of 222
This blog suggests every Fox title has one?

http://blogs.ign.com/chubigans/2006/12/

Excerpt:
"DTS-HD Master Audio: This is the new DTS codec for the next gen formats. Every single Fox Blu-Ray release has a DTS-MA track...in fact, nearly all of them only have the DTS option. Now here's the interesting thing: there is not a single product on the market today that supports DTS-MA. Even the PS3 can't decode this codec at the moment, but the March firmware is confirmed to update the PS3 to DTS-MA specifications. Even with that in mind, you still need a reciever to decode DTS-MA, and there's not one available right now. Heck, there's no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player on the market today that supports DTS-MA! "
post #63 of 222
My point is that they CANT do a firmware upgrade on the spot and out of the box.
They couldn't put up the display for Blu Ray and I had to explain to them why.
So. Yes. It is a big deal if you are trying to push the format down people's throats and it doesn't work correctly. Then you expect Joe 6 Pack to pay $899.00 for this player? What if Joe doesn't have internet!? Many don't. So that means that they can't go to AMAZON and get it for a deal or sale price, update it or even try and figure out how it works.

BTW! This is not my first issue with Blu Ray. My first issue was with the PS3; which I got rid of. Just wanted to make you aware that this is what some will deal with.
post #64 of 222
according to cnet the player has issues with audio support as well. that is why I got a ps3. even at $599 it is still the same price with less functionality.
post #65 of 222
I got a PS3 and it over heated and froze.
I've gone to Walmart many times and never saw the Phillips Blu Ray in action.
When I thought I had a chance today I stuck around to see what would happen.
.....NOTHING!
post #66 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPR Jose Ortiz View Post

I got a PS3 and it over heated and froze.
I've gone to Walmart many times and never saw the Phillips Blu Ray in action.
When I thought I had a chance today I stuck around to see what would happen.
.....NOTHING!

Sorry you had such misfortune with the BDP9000, I bought mine for $100 less than Amazon is selling it for right now, and couldn't be happier with it. I haven't even updated the firmware yet (been meaning to do that..) but the player has never glitched on me once after watching close to 25 Blu-ray discs. The player is quiet, super fast (like a SD-DVD player fast) and delivers great PQ and AQ. I would recommend the Philips for anyone looking for a non PS3 budget Blu-ray player, just shop around to get a good price.
post #67 of 222
I just hope you don't buy Open Season. That was the movie that didn't play on the Phillips Blu Ray disc.
post #68 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPR Jose Ortiz View Post

I just hope you don't buy Open Season. That was the movie that didn't play on the Phillips Blu Ray disc.

Actually Netflix should be shipping it out to me tomorrow, I will report on how the player handles the disc.
post #69 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

I just read a review that stated that the Philips can't output Dolby Digital via optical or coax, but only via HDMI. My receiver doesn't have HDMI, so it sounds like this product won't work for me.

I want to stay away from the Samsung unless I can be assured I have the latest chip - the one that doesn't make the picture look soft.

It seems like I'll be waiting for a sub $600 BluRay player - kind of wanted one with the release of Casino Royale in March.

I know for sure 100% it outputs dolby digital through coax, thats how its hooked up at my local electronics store. IMO I think the people that cant get it to work, dont realize they have to enable bit stream in audio out. Also, the nag screen with hdmi audio out not supported, that pops up, shows up if your display can not process the hdmi audio. however thats if you have the hdmi cable connected directly to the tv.

cheers.
post #70 of 222
That'll be great. Hopefully no one makes the mistake of paying for a Blu Ray movie they can't play on their Phillips Blu Ray Player.
post #71 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

CNET sort of agrees with what I am seeing. All Blu-ray players produce virtually the same PQ.


http://reviews.cnet.com/Philips_BDP9...-31899428.html

Cnet Exerpt:
"Performance
To test Blu-ray image performance, we put the Philips BDP9000 up against several other players we had on hand: the Panasonic DMP-BD10, the Samsung BD-P1000, and the Sony PlayStation 3. We spent several hours watching footage on these players and the verdict was clear: all the players we looked at offered extremely similar image quality. We looked at these players on the Pioneer Elite Pro-FHD1 and the Sony KDS-R60XBR2 at 1,080p over HDMI using our Gefen HDMI switch/distribution amplifier, and started off by watching Aeon Flux, one of the better Blu-ray releases in terms of picture quality. Despite there being tons of very detailed scenes, we found the players to be nearly equally sharp. Every time we thought we noticed a difference, we'd watch it on the other player and noticed that it was there too. Even when we thought we'd be able to notice some differences--such as the thin vertical lines on Chapter 9--we wound up feeling like none of the players had an edge. "

This may be true of the players tested but they left out the 2 best ones in my opinion. The Pioneer and the Sony. Too some people it does not matter but using the 24fps on these two players does make a noticable difference. These two players are the best if you ask me. I a/b a sony and a ps3 and at 60fps there is a little difference, but with the sony set to direct it looks much better on the movie Crank. The Pioneer is the same way with I would say about a 10% increase in pq over the sony.
post #72 of 222
Buy the Pioneer or the Panny----but if you want promised upgrades and 7.1 analogs and faster response---well, buy the Panny!----;0)
post #73 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPR Jose Ortiz View Post

I got a PS3 and it over heated and froze.

My first PS3 20gb died also...with the movie Descent inside...I sent it off to Sony and they replaced it with a brand new one...I never got my movie back though. The new one has been perfect.
post #74 of 222
Well, I've only had my Philips BDP9000 for a few days and have only played 4 movies on it - but I've had zero problems with it. Outstanding picture and sound with BD discs. I haven't updated the firmware yet, although will probably do that tonight.
post #75 of 222
I've had the BDP9000 for a little over a week, and have only played 4 BD movies on it, but so far I'm a very happy camper. No problems at all with the machine and terrific picture and sound. I'm using the optical out to the Yamaha AVR as my analog inputs are currently tied to my XA1.
post #76 of 222
I bought philips blu ray dvd player about a week ago and it's money.
post #77 of 222
Different experiences for different people I guess. (WAIT A MINUTE!?) Did they just merge my thread with another? LOL!

I have an HD DVD Player and never had any problems with any of my movies or the player.
I even have some of the movies that I ordered from xploitedcinema.com and not one issue.

This is exactly what I want from Blu Ray. Until then Imma have to hold off.
post #78 of 222
Many people just don't know that out of the box the Philips has a lower panel door that you must access to select the video out put selection...HDMI..Composite..etc.
The disc drawer will not open untill this is done.......then you must go into setup and select the audio out put.....PCM...Bitstream etc..................plus a few other selections........then the Philips plays great Blu-ray discs and up converts to 1080p on standard DVD's as well.....................I've had mine for a few weeks now and I'm very pleased with it.
And Paid $549.00 via Amazon with a couple of coupons from previous purchases.

You should update the firmwear as well .
post #79 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwisniski View Post

Actually Netflix should be shipping it out to me tomorrow, I will report on how the player handles the disc.

OK, I received Open Season on Blu-ray from Netflix and here's my impression:
My Philips BDP9000, still on the original firmware played the movie flawlessly. The disc looks amazing, clearly the best looking CGI animated movie I've witnessed in HD. The movie itself was ok, standard fare for these type of movies. SQ was average, not as bad as I've heard about but nothing to write home about either (I listened to the standard 5.1 track, not the PCM track).
Jose, I think you may have just encountered a few bad players, I hope you find happiness in your quest for a good BR machine.
post #80 of 222
Thread Starter 
Just got back from working three weeks in Miami and let me tell ya the weather down there is a far cry from what the Big Apple is handing us new yorkers currently.

WTF? I guess that means more and more titles to be explored on my Philips BDP9000 High Definition movie machine at the crib. Just to let those who know me from earlier posts, I did recieve a copy of the firmware update from Philips as they promised However have yet to load onto the unit. I've since watched Total Recall and also "Tears of the Sun" and damn this is for real! No problems at all playing these titles and they truly have convinced me that High Definition is alive and well for the movie buff.
post #81 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by VELOCITYOFHUE View Post

Just got back from working three weeks in Miami and let me tell ya the weather down there is a far cry from what the Big Apple is handing us new yorkers currently.

WTF? I guess that means more and more titles to be explored on my Philips BDP9000 High Definition movie machine at the crib. Just to let those who know me from earlier posts, I did recieve a copy of the firmware update from Philips as they promised However have yet to load onto the unit. I've since watched Total Recall and also "Tears of the Sun" and damn this is for real! No problems at all playing these titles and they truly have convinced me that High Definition is alive and well for the movie buff.

Good to have you back C., Florida, huh? I'm jealous, well I've had Blu-ray and HD movies to keep my mind off of the cold. Tell us how your BDP9000 is after the firmware update.
post #82 of 222
Costco in Canada now carries the philips player. Really pricey at 999. They also carry the RCA HDDVD at 599. Walmarts still carry the same RCA player since launch day and kept their prices at 688. At those prices, these things just won't sell.
post #83 of 222
Just an FYI for everyone, I was killing time at the Super Wal-Mart in Fishkill, NY this morning and saw this player boxed up with a clearance tag on it in the electronics center. Price check rang it up as $250!

I was content with my 360 HD-DVD add-on, but this price was too good to pass up. I bought it around 11:30 this morning, and there was one still there as I left, along with two Tosh D1's HD-DVD @ $225 a piece. They're in the back right hand side of the department, next to a bunch of the Durabrand 13 inch TVs.
post #84 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1091 View Post

Just an FYI for everyone, I was killing time at the Super Wal-Mart in Fishkill, NY this morning and saw this player boxed up with a clearance tag on it in the electronics center. Price check rang it up as $250!

I was content with my 360 HD-DVD add-on, but this price was too good to pass up. I bought it around 11:30 this morning, and there was one still there as I left, along with two Tosh D1's HD-DVD @ $225 a piece. They're in the back right hand side of the department, next to a bunch of the Durabrand 13 inch TVs.

Welcome to the forums Nick, I'm surprised you didn't snatch up the remaining players and then list them on that famous auction site You probably could've made a nice little profit. Hope you enjoy the Blu-ray player.
post #85 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwisniski View Post

Welcome to the forums Nick, I'm surprised you didn't snatch up the remaining players and then list them on that famous auction site You probably could've made a nice little profit. Hope you enjoy the Blu-ray player.

Thanks for the welcome, and it's funny, my wife had the same thought when I told her.

The only disc I bought (Saw III) played flawlessly, and in playing a few titles just to test it, it definitely seems to do a great job upconverting. I did the firmware upgrade first though, and had the same problems as some earlier who didn't burn the ISO using Nero. I found a freeware program that allowed me to burn the image, tried it again, and it no problems, though my update seemed to take longer than what some were reporting (closer to about 25 minutes than 15.)
post #86 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

Costco in Canada now carries the philips player. Really pricey at 999. They also carry the RCA HDDVD at 599. Walmarts still carry the same RCA player since launch day and kept their prices at 688. At those prices, these things just won't sell.

Canadian retailers are crooks! They can price as high as they want because they're in cahoots with the manufacturer (RCA, Philips, Nikon, Sony, Denon, Yamaha, for example, will not take care US-bought units under warranty -- some companies won't even look at your unit even if you pay them!!)
post #87 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1091 View Post

... I did the firmware upgrade first though, and had the same problems as some earlier who didn't burn the ISO using Nero. I found a freeware program that allowed me to burn the image, tried it again, and it no problems, though my update seemed to take longer than what some were reporting (closer to about 25 minutes than 15.)

I just did the upgrade on mine. I didn't have Nero so I used the freeware "ISO Recorder":

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

The upgrade went fine, and was definitely under 15 minutes.

Rick Moll
post #88 of 222
Has anyone successfully created an update disk using a Macbook Pro?

CD
post #89 of 222
Just FYI, this player is now selling from amazon.com for $549, with free shipping.
post #90 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

Just FYI, this player is now selling from amazon for $549, with free shipping.

Indeed they are. Mine shipped today - should be here Wednesday.

Just in time for The Prestige .....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Phillips Blu Ray Player is...