or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Nielsen/VideoScan sales ratios and Top 5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nielsen/VideoScan sales ratios and Top 5 - Page 6  

post #151 of 9375
As far as those who feel that Blu-ray has had way more releases recently and this is why the numbers look like they do for the weeks ending January 7th and 14th, we can look at what came out before that time and during it. The week of December 12th, 2006 had more HD DVD releases than Blu-ray releases. Same with the week of Dec 19th. For Dec 26th they each had 2 titles come out. The weeks that these numbers cover each had one title for Blu-ray and none for HD DVD. Those where "The Covenant" and "Crank". The next week we are likely to see (the one ending Jan 21st) might be a good one for HD DVD since they had more titles than Blu-ray for the 16th. The Weinsteins started running low and Universal hasn't done much since or have much announced for soon, so it is really the next week (the 23rd) where the number of Blu-ray titles is really starting to dominate the number of HD DVD titles released each week. For those who want to look at the release lists they are here:

2006 Release List

2007 Release List

For 2007, the only week scheduled so far through March that doesn't have more Blu-ray releases than HD DVD releases is March 6th, when HD DVD has one title scheduled ("The Good Sheperd") and Blu-ray doesn't have any scheduled at this point.

--Darin
post #152 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpower1987 View Post

WTF are you on! It is a lot more than just a drive change, the X360 was made for DVD, the architecture was built around it, any change to HD DVD will take a lot more than just a drive change. Add this to the fact that they would have to give 10m (expensive) HD DVD drives out for free if they had a retrofit program and made games on HD DVD.

They may release an update on the X360, but more than likely it will only be for a bigger HDD and HDMI.

I was in no way indicating that Microsoft wants to make game that only play on HD-DVD drives. They have no reason to the current 9GB DVD are working fine. All I saying it that 360 DVD drive and can be swapped out for HD-DVD just like in a PC or laptop. Take a look inside the 360.
post #153 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

You guys always celebrate at the end of the first quarter?

Given that some people here seemed to be celebrating after the kickoff, does that surprise you?

BTW: Even if HD DVD did have an 8:1 lead by August, they were probably smart to only say 3:1 given these numbers.

--Darin
post #154 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post

You're missing my point. Joe Sixpack didn't decide the DVD/DIVX war. What makes you so certain he'll decide the BD/HD DVD war? Chances are great that it'll be over before he even takes notice of the fact that high def discs exist.

Agreed. J6P is not the right term. J6P buys when the players are 90 bucks and any format decision has been made months or years earlier.
post #155 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

Q1 07 is a bad Q for HD DVD. The Brits at Dunkirk.....

With the Japanese poised to roll across Europe and the UK!

Wait a second, that doesn't sound right.

post #156 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueenergy View Post

I was in no way indicating that Microsoft wants to make game that only play on HD-DVD drives. They have no reason to the current 9GB DVD are working fine. All I saying it that 360 DVD drive and can be swapped out for HD-DVD just like in a PC or laptop. Take a look inside the 360.

Also the fastest HD DVD drives 2x are slower than the 12x DVD drive so games which utilise this extra bandwidth will either not work, or have longer loading times. There has been no 4x HD DVD drive shown.
post #157 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I have. ANd common sense would tell you that no one would purchase hardware if they can't see (in the near future) any new software. SI still favors HD DVD. Next year this time, I still see the SI looking pretty much the same except BD being in favor.

O.K.
post #158 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueenergy View Post

I was in no way indicating that Microsoft wants to make game that only play on HD-DVD drives. They have no reason to the current 9GB DVD are working fine. All I saying it that 360 DVD drive and can be swapped out for HD-DVD just like in a PC or laptop. Take a look inside the 360.

Microsoft wouldn't do this though, as they frankly don't care enough about who wins the format war to incur their own expense in such a crucially competetive segment for them as consoles. MS is on record both as saying that they will not integrate an HD DVD drive, and as saying that they would prefer digital distribution to both formats. If HD DVD starts to die, MS won't be the one to put themselves on the line to save it. Frankly they're already starting to pursue their true VC-1 ideal scenario via Live! movie distribution.
post #159 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

More like this time next month at the rate things are going.

It went from 86:100 to 93:100 in a single week!

Working in the corporate world, I don't look and numbers on a month to month basis as it's really volatile. Quarter over quarter, year over year, etc are far better forecast models to look at.

The playing field has been leveled, as expected. BD slacked during it's intro. HD DVD slacked when it got a hefty head start. Never underestimate your opponent. Don't believe me, ask the NE Patriots
post #160 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

Basically, I would have screwed up badly and had it been my job, I would expect to be fired

While you were wrong, you are admitting this much earlier than most would and provide great analysis of this data. If you were my employee, I would let you keep your job (I might check up on you a bit more). :-)

/carmi
post #161 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Numbers today simply don't mean that much. Neither format has a huge installed base of dedicated players.

We haven't hit the next phase where we get web/network connectivity, Managed Copy and more complex interactivity.

The goal is still the same for HD DVD. Get players out and get them into homes. Amazon still has brisk sales of the A2 (rank 12 for DVD players) and the Euro XE1 and E1 players look to be ready for larger delivery.

The only way to beat superior content is price with adequate content.

web/network connectivity for HD? Good luck :-) with that in next 10-15 years.

How will HD-DVD group bring more players out, when Sony is pumping PS3's as crazy? There is no way for HD-DVD group to bring 1/5th of the players out, compared to PS3 alone.

Not to mention that there is not enough content for HD-DVD for people to buy them. I mean seriously - how can anyone expect anything if less than 2 months after limited launch of PS3, BD is outselling HD-DVD 3x1?
post #162 of 9375
Are most PS3 games on BD's? I wonder if those videoscan numbers include those in BD sales.
post #163 of 9375
Obviously part PS3, part # of movie releases. The thing is, those factors will never reverse unless a studio defects, so the trend should continue.
post #164 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

The xob360 without the add-on will read DVDs....won't it?


Yes, but it won't play HD-DVD movies.
post #165 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

More like this time next month at the rate things are going.

It went from 86:100 to 93:100 in a single week!

Well, that's 7 points in one week. We're 2 weeks past this article. Based on this, albeit limited data, It is not unreasonable to assume that BD could be 7 points ahead by now.
post #166 of 9375
As soon as I opened and put an BD movie into PS3, I said it - war is over, BD has won.
post #167 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Working in a corporate world, I don't look and numbers on a month to month basis as it's really volatile. Quarter over quarter, year over year, etc are far better forecast models to look at.

The playing field has been leveled, as expected. BD slacked during it's intro. HD DVD slacked when it got a hefty head start. Never underestimate your opponent. Don't believe me, ask the NE Patriots

It's not that I don't appreciate your analogies D-Nice, it's just I think you underestimate the gravity of the momentum here.

BUT, I will say this - it will be frustrating (for all of us I think) if this is the only window into BD/HD DVD comparative sales we will see for awhile. Do we have a 'steady' source of Nielson info lined up for after this point?
post #168 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_r View Post

Are most PS3 games on BD's? I wonder if those videoscan numbers include those in BD sales.


I think that they all have to be on Bluray disks. I thinkthat developers have the option of BD9, BD25, or BD50.
post #169 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_r View Post

Are most PS3 games on BD's? I wonder if those videoscan numbers include those in BD sales.

All PS3 games are on BD, and no, games are not being counted here.

Man, some people truly are bewildered it seems!

(But rdjam said...)
post #170 of 9375
The numbers do bode well for Blu Ray but i'm not convinced that it's gone that far ahead of HD-DVD just yet. The lack of new HD-DVD titles in that period is pretty obviously a hinderance to sales. Now, looking at the BD sales, The Covenant was a brand new day and date release in that first week, sold okay yet couldn't even maintain a top five position the second week against four older catalogue titles. The percentages of the 2-5 titles are also markedly different between the two weeks so it makes sense that Crank sold very well in it's first week. The Descent was released on Dec 26th yet couldn't hold a top five place a couple of weeks later.

Volume sales must be fairly low in general still, especially if M:I III was touted around the 30,000 mark for both formats as the top seller a little while back. Basically, it's not going to take a massive amount of sales of a big day and date release to tip the balance percentage wise when it's competing against a load of catalogue titles. I would expect this trend to continue until HD-DVD has some major exclusives out consistently, if that ever happens again. I think then we'd see a more accurate representation.

Also, where do volume sales really stand in the scheme of things? Studios will need bigger sales of high profile titles because they'll make more profit per unit the more they press. That will also help to offset the production costs of the lesser titles. What none of this tells us is that Crank or Batman Begins or whatever title will sell more on one format or the other so i suspect they'd be more concerned with those individual figures. I still have a suspicion that on an equal title-per-title basis, things are probably fairly even right now.
post #171 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

All PS3 games are on BD, and no, games are not being counted here.

Man, some people truly are bewildered it seems!

(But rdjam said...)

You have some nerve for that comment "Man, some people truly are bewildered it seems!". It was a simple question and judging by some of the other resposes there apparently seems to be some disagreement as to whether or not those are included in the numbers. You are a very low-class and imature person, just like you childish "xbdestroya" name implies.
post #172 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

It's not that I don't appreciate your analogies D-Nice, it's just I think you underestimate the gravity of the momentum here.

BUT, I will say this - it will be frustrating (for all of us I think) if this is the only window into BD/HD DVD comparative sales we will see for awhile. Do we have a 'steady' source of Nielson info lined up for after this point?

Underestimate gravity of the momentum? Don't think so. I just look at things from "outside the box" instead of playing cheerleader when my team is winning.

For the record, I'm neutral. I want both formats to stay and coexist because I trust neither party to provide me with the current excellent PQ/AQ if one dies.

If I had to cheerlead something, it would be hybrid players
post #173 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_r View Post

You have some nerver for that comment "Man, some people truly are bewildered it seems!". It was a simple question and judging by some of the other resposes there apparently seems to be some disagreement as to whether or not those are included in the numbers. You are a very low-class and imature person, just like you childish "xbdestroya" name implies.

I would generally take the time to explain the name and all the associated baggage in a situation like this... but not today. Suffice to say that game sales are not included, and the only people who could *possibly* think that they are, are people for whom these numbers simply do not make sense otherwise.

Whether you found the answer to your prefered phrasing or not, consider it answered either way.
post #174 of 9375
People thinking games are being incorperated in the countings ar misinformed. Since it launch 5 million PS3 games have been sold.

http://www.news4gamers.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=20128

Wouln't that be a somewhat more disfigured inbalance?
post #175 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Underestimate gravity of the momentum? Don't think so. I just look at things from "outside the box" instead of playing cheerleader when my team is winning.

"Outside the box" is indeed a very corporate tone to take on the issue; says nothing, means less.

Either you underestimate it, and I am right, or I overestimate it, and I am wrong. We obviously both *think* the other is wrong; it would be a minor sign of insanity to assert positions in which one actually believes the contrary.

But, we'll just see what happens.
post #176 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

I would generally take the time to explain the name and all the associated baggage in a situation like this... but not today. Suffice to say that game sales are not included, and the only people who could *possibly* think that they are, are people for whom these numbers simply do not make sense otherwise.

Whether you found the answer to your prefered phrasing or not, consider it answered either way.

Once again, you continue with the personal attacks based on a reasonable question that does not support what you cheerlead at every opportunity. Instead of providing a link proving your claim that games are not included, you simply insult and continue with your arrogance and superiority complex. No wonder you support BD. Birds of a feather...
post #177 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_r View Post

Once again, you continue with the personal attacks based on a reasonable question that does not support what you cheerlead at every opportunity. Instead of providing a link proving your claim that games are not included, you simply insult and continue with your arrogance and superiority complex. No wonder you support BD. Birds of a feather...

You can call me arrogant and this and that, but now that you're asking for a link to prove it, it just goes that much farther in proving my own point.

These are stats tracking film sales on both formats; why are game sales even a question here? Do DVD sales track video games on DVD? Or CD sales video games on CD?

Logic, Jim R, logic.
post #178 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

Uh, yeah...

I kindly ask that all the amateur financial predictions please be kept to a minimum. Mark0 believe me when I say that Sony doesn't care *what* you're buying the PS3 for at this moment, so long as it entails either Blu-ray and/or game sales.

Sony can handle the gaming losses - this quarter proves that without a shadow of a doubt.

("Poor sales," good god is there no escape from this reasoning?)

Obviously no understanding of economics.
post #179 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipel View Post

People thinking games are being incorperated in the countings ar misinformed. Since it launch 5 million PS3 games have been sold.

http://www.news4gamers.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=20128

Wouln't that be a somewhat more disfigured inbalance?

How so ?
post #180 of 9375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post

Obviously no understanding of economics.

Do educate me on the matter.

(And it's finance, not economics... you are aware that those are two different areas of study, are you not?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Nielsen/VideoScan sales ratios and Top 5