or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Game Room Equipment & Accessories › ARCADE LEGENDS owner thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ARCADE LEGENDS owner thread - Page 2

post #31 of 250
FYI - For all, I talked to someone directly at Chicago Gaming and what he basically said is that the PC which is running the Arcade Legends machines has a hard drive on it (I forget exactly how big 40gig) but he said they have loaded EVERY game made for the machine on their test machine and the hard drive isnt even half full. So those of you worried about filling up too many games on your Arcade Legends machines ...aint gonna happen.

The only game packs I am missing is Neo Geo, Lost Treasures, Dragons Lair,Space Invaders. I got a guy I get all my games from for about 1/2 the price I've seen on eBay or the internet. I hit him up usually every other month even at 1/2 price these game paks are expensive!

P.S. I got my stand-up machine for $1500, told the wife I paid $700
post #32 of 250
I'm missing Midway Treasures (got the Blast Pack early and it had half those games on it...grrr), Dragon's Lair pack, Lost Treasures, Space Invaders, Pac-family, Casino and a few of the single packs. I think that's all. I hope if they offer an upgrade, it'll be able to work in conjunction with the first Arcade Legends; i.e. you have a screen that lets you start up with AL1 or AL2.
post #33 of 250
I just got the Sports pack for my Ultracade last night. It must be an earlier one because it has the 4 games (ex: Karate Champ) that were removed by Global VR for licensing issues. I was happy to see them in the game line-up after I installed.

Now all I need to get is the Pac Family Classics and Taito packs. Not sure if the Space Invaders pack will work with the Ultracade or if it is just for Arcade Legends.
post #34 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbott1701 View Post

I just got the Sports pack for my Ultracade last night. It must be an earlier one because it has the 4 games (ex: Karate Champ) that were removed by Global VR for licensing issues. I was happy to see them in the game line-up after I installed.

Now all I need to get is the Pac Family Classics and Taito packs. Not sure if the Space Invaders pack will work with the Ultracade or if it is just for Arcade Legends.

Old Sports Pack = me jealous.
post #35 of 250
where do you get these? Are they re-furbished?

Audi Dude
post #36 of 250
I got mine from HTMarket.com
I actually ordered an Arcade Legends, but the sent me the Ultracade. In the end I made out better since the Ultracade is but for commercial use and is pretty robust.

I am in the process of switching out the trackballs with illuminated ones. The ultracade control panel is pretty boring, so I am doing some mods to it.
post #37 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAAudioDude View Post

where do you get these? Are they re-furbished?

Audi Dude

The machine, i got from Home Arcade Corp in Lisle, Illinois.

www.homearcadecorp.com

I bought it new in 2004.
post #38 of 250
Anyone have Galaga for Arcade Legends? I am looking for this single pack. Thanks!
post #39 of 250
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoidx View Post

Anyone have Galaga for Arcade Legends? I am looking for this single pack. Thanks!

Ive never seen it as a single... only in the pacman pack.
post #40 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Ive never seen it as a single... only in the pacman pack.

Hmm. That stinks cuz I have everything in that pack minus Galaga. Wish there was a way I could just get the one game.
post #41 of 250
Check with this eBay seller, I think he has galaga individually. I've done business with him before and he is a stand up guy.

http://myworld.*********/socajr/
post #42 of 250
Also, FYI, Pacman, MsPac and Digdug are a little tricky yo use on the ultracade/arcade legends machines. The digital 8-way joysticks the cabinets use causes some "mis-moves." At least that has been my experience.
post #43 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbott1701 View Post

Also, FYI, Pacman, MsPac and Digdug are a little tricky yo use on the ultracade/arcade legends machines. The digital 8-way joysticks the cabinets use causes some "mis-moves." At least that has been my experience.

Dig Dug is fine. Pac & Ms. Pac are tricky cuz of the 8 way, but you can get used to it.
post #44 of 250
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbott1701 View Post

Check with this eBay seller, I think he has galaga individually. I've done business with him before and he is a stand up guy.

http://myworld.*********/socajr/

I can also vouch for this seller.
post #45 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I can also vouch for this seller.

I didn't see anything on this seller's store. I had to get to his name through typing it in eBay cuz that link is broken.
post #46 of 250
I'm confused....does this company actually license all the respective titles from their respective holders, ie: Taito, Konami, etc.......for sale exclusively with their cabinets?

Or is this nothing but a MAMECab for sale with only questionably legitimate MAME roms......
post #47 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I'm confused....does this company actually license all the respective titles from their respective holders, ie: Taito, Konami, etc.......for sale exclusively with their cabinets?

Or is this nothing but a MAMECab for sale with only questionably legitimate MAME roms......

I've been told by several sources that they are 100% legit b/c they buy the licensing rights to the roms from the original companies that own the games. That's why it took so long to get game packs out b/c of licensing, timeframes, etc. The software is proprietary and is called the Joshua OS. The system is on a PC, but it's not running any form of Windows. That's about all I know; hope it helps.
post #48 of 250
Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man definately hard to play...i thought it was just my game.
post #49 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedallas2005 View Post

Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man definately hard to play...i thought it was just my game.

Try playing Q*Bert!

In light of the Arcade Legends (1) machine's packs going out of print, I decided to trick out my machine before it's all gone. They're making new stuff for Arcade Legends 2 with an onboard system (no PC). This new standard machine comes with 125 games and no upgrades as of yet. Good thing theres' about double that available for AL1 or I'd be majorly ticked off.
post #50 of 250
You guys are adventurous to toss your $$ into a system with a propriatary OS and propriatary Roms.......

May I ask, why didn't you guys just do MAME......??
post #51 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

You guys are adventurous to toss your $$ into a system with a propriatary OS and propriatary Roms.......

May I ask, why didn't you guys just do MAME......??

I always opt for the legal way to do things, and I have a large tie to the video game industry, and always want to give creators of games their due share.
post #52 of 250
I agree with Humanoidx. Now if I didn't have the funds to to the legal thing, I might be more tempted to do a MAME.
I do like the idea of doing a custom MAME cabinet, though. I like to add personal touches, which is why I changed out the stock trackballs and put lighted ones in my ultracade. I'm also redoing the control panel overlays.
post #53 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbott1701 View Post

I agree with Humanoidx. Now if I didn't have the funds to to the legal thing, I might be more tempted to do a MAME.
I do like the idea of doing a custom MAME cabinet, though. I like to add personal touches, which is why I changed out the stock trackballs and put lighted ones in my ultracade. I'm also redoing the control panel overlays.

Yes, just to say I built one...just for the experience of it; that would be sweet. It may happen, as I have an empty cab that need a lot of work.
post #54 of 250
I'm still struggling to get my Sega Star Trek upright working. Those darn G08 vector monitors can be a real pain. If I can't get it to work, I might just end up with an empty cab myself.
post #55 of 250
What is a MAME?
post #56 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoidx View Post

I always opt for the legal way to do things, and I have a large tie to the video game industry, and always want to give creators of games their due share.

Do you think any of the money you pay this company in...well..wherever they are, is making it back to the guys who made the game? Its likely not, its probably just making it back to the companies that hold the licenses for the games and character likenesses.

But, whatever works for you is key here.
post #57 of 250
post #58 of 250
Another reason I went with the Ultracade is becuase I wanted a cocktail and I wanted it to do this:

"One of the most unique features is UltraCade's cocktail dual screen mode. Games that are two player simultaneous, will automatically mirror image the game screen to players allowing games such as Street Fighter II to be played on a cocktail, a feature never before offered in any cocktail table."
post #59 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbott1701 View Post

Another reason I went with the Ultracade is becuase I wanted a cocktail and I wanted it to do this:

"One of the most unique features is UltraCade's cocktail dual screen mode. Games that are two player simultaneous, will automatically mirror image the game screen to players allowing games such as Street Fighter II to be played on a cocktail, a feature never before offered in any cocktail table."

That is very cool...although I have to admit, the idea of playing streetfighter on a cocktail....I mean.....do you keep spare Carpal-Tunnal braces handy at the house?? Do you require your players take advil before any matches?

I was lucky...I've known about Mame for some time, and I was lucky to find a guy who literally gutted arcade cabs and practically gave them away for free....I had to force the guy to take money when I found the cab I wanted (he wanted to give me a sit down OUTRUN driving cab for free...tempting as it was, my wife would have beaten me with a stick if I'd shown up with that in the back of the truck).

Enjoy your cabs.....worst comes to worse, if the company goes belly up, you rip out the guts and build MAME cabs.
post #60 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Do you think any of the money you pay this company in...well..wherever they are, is making it back to the guys who made the game? Its likely not, its probably just making it back to the companies that hold the licenses for the games and character likenesses.

But, whatever works for you is key here.

It does work for me, and I'm not gullible enough to believe that the original programmers are going to see a dime out of this. But somebody had to do the work to pay for licensing, and get these game all legal for play on these machines. That is a philosophy that I respect, because someone actually did a good job making these legal, legit and great to play on a very nicely made cabinet for the home. If they make money, great. That's what's going to keep things like this going. The reason they're so friggin' expensive is because people have been just pirating ROMS from the get-go of MAME. I know MAME's creators had originally created the whole system to be a preservation of arcade games, and if it wasn't for them, we'd be much further in the dark about arcade emulation in general. But people have bastardized the system so much, they think it's the norm to get the pirated versions rather than pay for legit copies of games any more. I'd much rather dole out some hard earned cash and play something I know I paid for, than have to visit a bunch of porn/spam/warez sites or deal with torrents to grab a whole bunch of pirated games. That's my choice, and again, it works for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Game Room Equipment & Accessories › ARCADE LEGENDS owner thread