or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › Any combo players with Realta chip announced?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any combo players with Realta chip announced?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Is anyone planning a combo player that uses the same Realta chip as the Toshiba XA2?

jcg
post #2 of 10
The HD-XA2 has the Reaon chip which is the little brother to the Realta. Supposedly they are very similar with the Realta having more configurability. A well implemented player with the Reon really would be ideal -- SD DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray. I looked pretty hard and wasn't able to find anything. I ran out of patience and placed an order for the HD-XA2 to cover "two out of three of the important disc formats." My guess is that it will be a while before something like this is available. Since Samsung has introduced a Reon based player that does SD and Blu-ray, and is also rumored to be working on a dual format HD DVD/Blu-ray player thay may be the first with this ideal player. I just wonder how well Samsung would do in implementing something like this. Now that I have a player to hold me over for a while, I may just settle back and wait for Denon to do something.
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

Since Samsung... is also rumored to be working on a dual format HD DVD/Blu-ray player thay may be the first with this ideal player.

Where is this rumor coming from? I do recall in the first half of 2006, Samsung was rumored to be doing exactly this, but sometime during the summer, they issued a press release stating that no such project was planned. Of course, LG had almost the same modus operandi, and look who has the first hybrid player on the market.

I don't doubt this could be happening, but I'd LOVE to know where this rumor is being pulled from before I start getting my hopes up.
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Denon is using the Reon in their new 3930 and 2930 players (I believe), so it's possible that if they come out with a combo player it could use the Reaon.

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

The HD-XA2 has the Reaon chip which is the little brother to the Realta. Supposedly they are very similar with the Realta having more configurability. A well implemented player with the Reon really would be ideal -- SD DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray. I looked pretty hard and wasn't able to find anything. I ran out of patience and placed an order for the HD-XA2 to cover "two out of three of the important disc formats." My guess is that it will be a while before something like this is available. Since Samsung has introduced a Reon based player that does SD and Blu-ray, and is also rumored to be working on a dual format HD DVD/Blu-ray player thay may be the first with this ideal player. I just wonder how well Samsung would do in implementing something like this. Now that I have a player to hold me over for a while, I may just settle back and wait for Denon to do something.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post

Denon is using the Reon in their new 3930 and 2930 players (I believe), so it's possible that if they come out with a combo player it could use the Reaon.

jcg

No. Denon is using the Reon in the 2930CI and the Realta in the 3930CI and 5910/CI. The Realta handles bad edits and mixed cadences better.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsLabRat View Post

Where is this rumor coming from? I do recall in the first half of 2006, Samsung was rumored to be doing exactly this, but sometime during the summer, they issued a press release stating that no such project was planned. Of course, LG had almost the same modus operandi, and look who has the first hybrid player on the market.

I don't doubt this could be happening, but I'd LOVE to know where this rumor is being pulled from before I start getting my hopes up.

Maybe there isn't much substance to this rumor. My apologies. I thought I recalled talk of Samsung renewing interest in a player with LG getting into the market. The closest thing that I can find for support of this rumor is this piece by arstechnical where they state:

"Samsung will only ship a hybrid player if HD DVD turns out to be as popular as Blu-ray."

Link: Hybrid Blu-ray/HD DVD player coming, format war to continue
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

"Samsung will only ship a hybrid player if HD DVD turns out to be as popular as Blu-ray."

Link: Hybrid Blu-ray/HD DVD player coming, format war to continue

Well, it's more recent than last summer, which is good enough for me! Now that LG has broken the ice, I really think it's inevitable that combo players will start hitting the market soon. I didn't think it'd be Samsung, since they have such a close tie to BRD, but hey, I'd rather buy a Samsung than an LG.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
So the Denon 2930CI and the Toshiba XA2 are the only 2 players on the market (regardless) or format that use the Reon? And at this point no one else has annocnced anything?

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

No. Denon is using the Reon in the 2930CI and the Realta in the 3930CI and 5910/CI. The Realta handles bad edits and mixed cadences better.
post #9 of 10
Well, the Samsung BDP-1200 Blu-ray player is also supposed to have the Reon when it comes out in March. On paper it sounds a whole lot like the HD-XA2 -- only Blu-ray instead of HD DVD.
post #10 of 10
Denon is probably the only one I'd trust with a combo player. I'm growing increasingly unsatisifed with the 360 add-on as my HD-DVD solution, mostly for AQ reasons but also the noise of the 360 itself.

Integrated HD-DVD drive on a quieter 65nm 360 with HDMi would be great (and a good complement to my PS3). Otherwise, I'm likely to start hunting for an XA1 (always wanted one) and try the Frankenstein bit (more RAM, faster CPU, maybe cannibilize my 360 add-on drive and see if it works in the XA1), since I know I'll be frustrated with it's slower performance. Why can't Toshiba release a SILVER HD-DVD player?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dual Format Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › Any combo players with Realta chip announced?