or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Retail store speaker setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Retail store speaker setup

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hello. I've been doing car audio for a year or so now, but my knowledge of home audio is quite limited. I know throw myself on the mercy of the home audio forum. My friend owns a retail store and wants me to upgrade their audio situation. I've attached a little drawing to help make things clear.


The store area is about 60 X 20, concrete floors, probably a 15 foot ceiling, and racks of clothing throughout the floor area. The current setup are two old 15 inch cerwin vega floor speakers. No idea how old they are, but they have seen better days. The surrounds are totally gone on the woofers. The blue diamonds show where they're located. The problem with the arrangement seems to be poor coverage. It has to be turned up very loud in order to cover the whole store with sound, but the cashier at the bottom left gets blasted.

What would be the best way to get good coverage throughout the store and retain good sound quality. Wall mounting would be preferred to keep as much usable floor space. Will be used for playing all types of music. I've got a cd changer and a Sony 100x2 @ 8ohm amp. Don't know if that would be very useful with a new setup. I'd imagine if i had to add any speakers it would require getting an amp with more channels and power. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
LL
post #2 of 11
Why not go with something like 4 speakers in the 4 corners all shooting toward the center of the room? You could ceiling mount the speakers to keep them off the floor. With 4 sources of sound, you could turn down the volume quite a bit and still get nice coverage everywhere without blasting anyone out that is near a corner.
post #3 of 11
what type of store? what do they sell? and what do they listen to? and finally what volume do they like to play it at?
these are major determining factors.

dollar amount? or budget?
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

Why not go with something like 4 speakers in the 4 corners all shooting toward the center of the room? You could ceiling mount the speakers to keep them off the floor. With 4 sources of sound, you could turn down the volume quite a bit and still get nice coverage everywhere without blasting anyone out that is near a corner.

Thats what i was thinking, but i have no idea what type of components to select to achieve that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

what type of store? what do they sell? and what do they listen to? and finally what volume do they like to play it at?
these are major determining factors.

dollar amount? or budget?

Kinda two part store. The front section we're looking at here is for clothing and music. The rear section is a tattoo shop. Everything from classic rock to rap music is played. As far as volume, fairly loud. definitely louder than just background music. The budget is somewhat open. Less than 1000 dollars. The idea would be to stay cost effective but retain decent quality, if that is possible.
post #5 of 11
i would then look at 4 professional monitors wall mounted. but not in the corners but at equal distances in the room. placed along the long walls at the 20 and 40 foot marks.
you would receive maximum volume, longevity and value.

i would look at the jbl eon series speakers or similiar.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

i would then look at 4 professional monitors wall mounted. but not in the corners but at equal distances in the room. placed along the long walls at the 20 and 40 foot marks.
you would receive maximum volume, longevity and value.

i would look at the jbl eon series speakers or similiar.

I see the JBL eon speakers are powered. What are the advantages to using a powered speaker instead of a seperate amp & speaker setup?
post #7 of 11
the speaker is engineered as a complete package. you can drastically change the system or damage it all the same by using the wrong amplification. you will find that a lot of powered speakers are desirable if only for the added difficulty of running power.
post #8 of 11
I don't believe the Eon's are wall mountable...

I would look at the Control series stuff...
post #9 of 11
under the accessories section. they have an adapter to fit an omnimount bracket.

they are wall mountable.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

under the accessories section. they have an adapter to fit an omnimount bracket.

they are wall mountable.

They are???

...I would avoid the Eon's anyway; for powered speakers, I would go for the Mackies.

The Control's are more suited for retail use...
post #11 of 11
it doesnt matter, i also mentioned "or simliar".

if they're the same price, more than likely, they will have the same sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Retail store speaker setup