That sounds like precisely why I changed some of my castle faces to smooth in the first place. Something just wasn't working right with the lighting and shadows, and making them smooth fixed it, so I just did that and moved on. I haven't gone back to re-render with solid yet, but it sounds like one way or another it won't come out the way I want.
Unfortunately I seem to have deleted the sample render that I generated, presumably because I was ticked off that it came out so poor
. I'll have to make another one some other time to show the coked-up flags and other current problems.
Three nights ago my RAID 5 array went critical so I'm anxiously awaiting a replacement drive from WD. Until this morning I'd been hesitant to even turn on this machine due to fear of data loss. No the blender projects aren't on the RAID, but man if I lose 800GB of data I won't be very happy...
On another note, I'm being sent on business travel for the next week so odds of getting any time to work on Blender are slim. I did stick a copy of the installer and my latest project files on a USB stick so if I get bored the company's loaner laptop may just become a rendering device
Seems like the Disney project will be delayed again, but I'll keep you guys posted as things go along.