or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › LG BH100 vs Panasonic BP10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG BH100 vs Panasonic BP10

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Please note that I'm not starting this thread to compare the two players feature for feature, but only to get feedback from people on what they would do if they were in MY shoes.

I do not have an HDMI capable receiver and have a 7.1 speaker setup.

Advantages to Panasonic BD-10 (for MY situation):
  1. DVD-Audio Playback - a postive but not a big deal
  2. CD Playback - this is nice so I don't need a second player
  3. 7.1 Analog Outputs - huge advantage for the new hidef audio formats coming out

Advantages to LG BH100 (for MY situation):
  1. Plays HD-DVD (but without HDi) - there are about 10 HD-DVD exclusives I would like.
  2. 1080p/24 output - my scaler accepts this input and I've heard that when panning this is the difference between perfectly smooth instead of a slight jitter.

Questions I Need Answers to:
  1. The Panasonic BD10 has a long 1.7 second layer change on SD-DVD's, according to Secrets HiFi website. Anyone know how long the LG100 takes?
  2. Does anyone know the time each unit takes to do a layer change on BluRay discs?

If you were in my shoes - which one would you choose?
post #2 of 10
Thread Starter 
I forgot to add if anyone is familiar with the ability of the Panasonic BD10 to output all hi-def formats via the analogs.
post #3 of 10
I have watched about 10 sd discs on the LG and havnt noticed the layer change. but if you want the 7.1 the panny is the one although i have a 6.1 set up and my adcom does a great job using the 5.1 outs of the LG. so if you dont want another HD player then the LG is a safe bet and there is a post on source devises for sale here on AVS for a new unopend LG for 999 with warranty. wish i saw that before i got mine could have saved 200 bucks!!!!
And with either player you will still nedd anoth piece of equipmnet, HD dvd for the panny and a cd player for the LG.
post #4 of 10
I need to buy three players for a client. He wants a dual format unit, he also wants HDMI 1.3, and he wants to be able to play DVD Audio. I was leaning towards the LG, but now I am not so sure. Can you give me arguments for buying the Panasonic over the LG? Do they both have HDMI 1.3? And do they both have 5.1 channel analog outputs? This is a very demanding customer and he wants the best, money is no object so if there is even another unit out there that would be better, what would that unit be?
Thanks
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eye View Post

I need to buy three players for a client. He wants a dual format unit, he also wants HDMI 1.3, and he wants to be able to play DVD Audio. I was leaning towards the LG, but now I am not so sure. Can you give me arguments for buying the Panasonic over the LG? Do they both have HDMI 1.3? And do they both have 5.1 channel analog outputs? This is a very demanding customer and he wants the best, money is no object so if there is even another unit out there that would be better, what would that unit be?
Thanks

Unfortunately the LG only has 5.1 analog outs - and that, in a nutshell, is my dillemma. If the LG was 7.1 out I'd buy it without hesitation. I know very few movies have a rear track, but LOTR does and I'm certain future BluRay movies will be adding it - so the idea of losing the rear channels is very frustrating with the LG.

The idea of jitter in the video due to the Panasonic's 1080p/60 output is also frustrating.

Part of me is leaning towards the Panny because I'm hoping a future firmware will fix the video output, but I'd be a lot happier if I knew for sure.
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post


Advantages to LG BH100 (for MY situation):
  1. 1080p/24 output - my scaler accepts this input and I've heard that when panning this is the difference between perfectly smooth instead of a slight jitter.

Are you sure the LG outputs 1920 x 1080/24 (23.98)/P? If true, then why would you need a scaler? It is assumed your video display accepts 1920 x 1080/24 (23.98)/P as an input. If it does not, then native 24P output does not do you any good.

The intent of 24P output is to use with a video display that can do 24, 48, 72, 96 or 120 V refresh rates.
post #7 of 10
The Panny does not have HDMI 1.3 (it's only serious flaw, along with not being able to eject the disk from the remote). I can say that the SD layer change has not been noticeable during my SD DVD playback either.

I cabn't say much about the LG (haven't even seen one), but if a client wants a dual player, it's the only game in town (and may, in fact, remain the only game in town).
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Are you sure the LG outputs 1920 x 1080/24 (23.98)/P? If true, then why would you need a scaler? It is assumed your video display accepts 1920 x 1080/24 (23.98)/P as an input. If it does not, then native 24P output does not do you any good.

The intent of 24P output is to use with a video display that can do 24, 48, 72, 96 or 120 V refresh rates.

My projector (Optoma HD81) only works when hooked up to the Gennum scaler. The scaler wouldn't actually scale anything, but rather send it natively to the projector (actually I believe the scaler doubles every frame so it sends 1080p/48).
post #9 of 10
I've never noticed a BD layer change at all on the Panny.
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpags View Post

I've never noticed a BD layer change at all on the Panny.

Thanks. Stupid question - are you sure you have a 50GB disc as reference?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dual Format Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › LG BH100 vs Panasonic BP10