or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 94

post #2791 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.sah View Post

What is gallo 3.5 max spl? How loud they can go.?

Sah, for prediction please help yourself with this calculator. But in reality you need to measure it. I know that AG 3.5 can go very loud. My calculation for my room is 109dB. I practiced once when there was some very, very loud festival (Pivo Cvetje) outside so I was in my bubble of sound not hearing outside disturbance anymore smile.gif.

best, d.
Edited by delfincek - 10/18/13 at 12:49am
post #2792 of 2935
@bluemark,
I also practice 2x subs with AG 3.5. I use 2x REL B2 subs for seamless integration. I already wrote something page or two back about this configuration. These are Brits and very good for music. If you live in USA I would definitely recommend to look for some USA brand as you will get it cheaper than REL and you have some exceptionally good subs (JL Audio comes to my mind). As far as I know dr. Sah had also AG subs so he can tell you more about them. I never heard them not saw them so I can not say anything about.

best, d.
post #2793 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post

@bluemark,
I also practice 2x subs with AG 3.5. I use 2x REL B2 subs for seamless integration. I already wrote something page or two back about this configuration. These are Brits and very good for music. If you live in USA I would definitely recommend to look for some USA brand as you will get it cheaper than REL and you have some exceptionally good subs (JL Audio comes to my mind). As far as I know dr. Sah had also AG subs so he can tell you more about them. I never heard them not saw them so I can not say anything about.

best, d.

Thanks. I have considered the REL's as well. Right now, I'm really leaning towards a pair of SVS subs. As mentioned, size is a factor in my selection and I can easily place two smaller subs than one larger sub. In terms of bang for the buck, I'm not sure I can do much better than SVS. I can get two of almost any of their subs for less than what I was willing to pay for a single Velodyne DD+ or JL Audio Fathom sub.
post #2794 of 2935
Maybe you can buy SVS SB12-NSD, i would go with them.
Or, you have new JL subs E-110 or E-112, but they are little bit more.
post #2795 of 2935
Rythmik F12.... Not too expensive.


But now if i would be in sub market, SVS.
post #2796 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.sah View Post

Maybe you can buy SVS SB12-NSD, i would go with them.
Or, you have new JL subs E-110 or E-112, but they are little bit more.

The SB12-NSD is exactly what I've been considering (two of them). I can't seem to find out much on JL's new E subs.
post #2797 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.sah View Post

Rythmik F12.... Not too expensive.


But now if i would be in sub market, SVS.

F12 was considered, but too big.
post #2798 of 2935
I would recomend DSPeaker antimode for sub. So, buy SVS subs, and later invest 300 eur or dollar for that little device. Worth every money.
post #2799 of 2935

I dont know if you can get these in the US but I used the BK sub with my old AG setup and it was very happy with it.

 

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

post #2800 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.sah View Post

I would recomend DSPeaker antimode for sub. So, buy SVS subs, and later invest 300 eur or dollar for that little device. Worth every money.

See my list of equipment above. I already have the DSPeaker anti mode 2.0.
post #2801 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

The SB12-NSD is exactly what I've been considering (two of them). I can't seem to find out much on JL's new E subs.

I definitely recommend SVS SB12 sealed subs. I use it with a pair of Stradas and it's very musical. They go deeper than most. AG TR3 is also good (I've tried before) but I prefer SVS.
post #2802 of 2935
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuniverse View Post

I definitely recommend SVS SB12 sealed subs. I use it with a pair of Stradas and it's very musical. They go deeper than most. AG TR3 is also good (I've tried before) but I prefer SVS.

Thanks, that is great to know.
post #2803 of 2935
I've decided to go with the 2x SB12-NSD subs. Can't find a bad review on them and they seem to be a good fit for my room . Hopefully I'm not disappointed after previously deciding to go with Velodynes DD10+.
post #2804 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

I've decided to go with the 2x SB12-NSD subs. Can't find a bad review on them and they seem to be a good fit for my room . Hopefully I'm not disappointed after previously deciding to go with Velodynes DD10+.

Let us know how it goes ;-)
post #2805 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

I've decided to go with the 2x SB12-NSD subs. Can't find a bad review on them and they seem to be a good fit for my room . Hopefully I'm not disappointed after previously deciding to go with Velodynes DD10+.

Look forward to hearing what you think.

That's the sub I have after auditioning 3 other subs (two that cost more). Admittedly the small size was part of my decision, but I also preferred their sound - very accurate, clean and even from bottom to top. It's nice to always hear the notes - no blurry thumps anywhere wink.gif
post #2806 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Look forward to hearing what you think.

That's the sub I have after auditioning 3 other subs (two that cost more). Admittedly the small size was part of my decision, but I also preferred their sound - very accurate, clean and even from bottom to top. It's nice to always hear the notes - no blurry thumps anywhere wink.gif

I will let you know when I receive them and get them connected. Are you using them with ref 3.5's?
Edited by bluemark81 - 10/20/13 at 7:50pm
post #2807 of 2935
I wish!

No, I use them at home with 5 KEF's in the front room (Q's for now but upgrading to LS-50's) and Classico CL-3's in the studio. With the CL-3's my crossover is set to 50Hz - it still tickles me how seamless the transition from the towers to the sub is (same with the KEF's). That's one of the qualities that set the SB12-NSD apart for me wink.gif
post #2808 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

I wish!

No, I use them at home with 5 KEF's in the front room (Q's for now but upgrading to LS-50's) and Classico CL-3's in the studio. With the CL-3's my crossover is set to 50Hz - it still tickles me how seamless the transition from the towers to the sub is (same with the KEF's). That's one of the qualities that set the SB12-NSD apart for me wink.gif

Good to know. I have no experience with SVS subs at all, so I am basing things entirely on reviews and reputation. I was all set to pull the trigger on a Velodyne DD+, but started doing some research and decided to go with two SVS subs at almost a third of the price of one Velodyne. The Ref 3.5's already play amazingly low at a reported 22hz +/-3, but I'm hoping the SB12-NSD's will add some reinforcement to the lower end. Just my ridiculous quest to continually seek a bit more from my system which already sounds amazingly good. It's a sickness! Hopefully I have no regrets.
post #2809 of 2935
If you're looking for reinforcement then a sub that blends particularly well (like the SVS) might really work for you.

Also SVS has a Canadian distributer and a generous return policy.
post #2810 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

If you're looking for reinforcement then a sub that blends particularly well (like the SVS) might really work for you.

Also SVS has a Canadian distributer and a generous return policy.

Yes, I ordered two SVS SB12- NSD's from them today.
post #2811 of 2935
The subs arrived!

post #2812 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by delfincek View Post

@bluemark,
I also practice 2x subs with AG 3.5. I use 2x REL B2 subs for seamless integration. I already wrote something page or two back about this configuration. These are Brits and very good for music. If you live in USA I would definitely recommend to look for some USA brand as you will get it cheaper than REL and you have some exceptionally good subs (JL Audio comes to my mind). As far as I know dr. Sah had also AG subs so he can tell you more about them. I never heard them not saw them so I can not say anything about.

best, d.

What do you have the x-overs of your subs set to? Are you using two subs in a stereo configuration? Following is my schematic. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
post #2813 of 2935
Hiya there, as you know I have REL B2 subs. But these subs have totally different logic and frequency slope than your SVS probably. I have a very low cut at 27Hz at the moment but this is not wall as it stretches higher on the frequency scale. But I can not measure it to say what the graph for this is. Anyway cutting like this gives me great bass and fills nicely the fundaments within the music.

Your second question, yes, I use both subs in stereo configuration.

I have my subs connected via Hi-Level connectors for music directly to my stereo integrated. That is how it is recommended with REL. At the same time I also use Lo-Level connection with A/V receiver. This is used when watching movies and having sound through my A/V receiver. REL has separate settings for HI and LO level inputs so that is not a big problem to do it. REL also recommends that using Hi Level inputs for music is more desired. Why? Please read their FAQ here. You will find an answer under 1st question. Click.. But this is not necesserry a rule for all I would say.

With new SUBs you have an option to experiment what is better if you connect subs via Low Level or High Level connections. You can observe what has better timing what is more in phase. I see that you have also AG SA amp besides the subs. The same you can do also with AG SA amp to see what is best (hi or lo level connections). I guess you will need some time to figure out this as setting sub is quite a procedure and sometimes also need some longer time with very careful listening. But it is fun smile.gif.
Best, d.
post #2814 of 2935
Hi all,

I am new to this thread but seriously considering acquiring some strada 2 a a sub or to.
Unfortunately for me, there are no dealers close to me, I think the nearest one is 1200km away so a bit far.
I was going to go for a pair of focal iw 1003 be but really tempted by the strada 2 due to glowing reviews.
Do you reckon I am mad to go ahead a getting a pair without auditioning them. This is part of a stereo set up only with a naim all in one streamer.
Obviously I will a sub or two and wondering any of you could recommend which subs is "best" in terms of integration with the speakers. I may add a second sub latter. I would love to have the sub in a corner as not to impose itself in the room.
Also, any of you have ever tried in wall subs by any chance?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Regards
Jean
post #2815 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy76 View Post

Hi all,

I am new to this thread but seriously considering acquiring some strada 2 a a sub or to.
Unfortunately for me, there are no dealers close to me, I think the nearest one is 1200km away so a bit far.
I was going to go for a pair of focal iw 1003 be but really tempted by the strada 2 due to glowing reviews.
Do you reckon I am mad to go ahead a getting a pair without auditioning them. This is part of a stereo set up only with a naim all in one streamer.
Obviously I will a sub or two and wondering any of you could recommend which subs is "best" in terms of integration with the speakers. I may add a second sub latter. I would love to have the sub in a corner as not to impose itself in the room.
Also, any of you have ever tried in wall subs by any chance?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Regards
Jean

The strada's are amazing and you would not be considered mad in purchasing without auditioning. I run the Ref 3.5's and before purchasing I auditioned many speakers including the focal 1028be's and 1038be's. I set my budget at $15,000 for new speakers and ended up purchasing a pair of $5000 AG Ref 3.5's. They are just that good! The strada's with a good pair of sealed musical subs will give you much of what a pair of 3.5's can and maybe even more. Although I'm still playing around with things, I just purchased a pair of SVS SB12-NSD subs (14" cube) to run in stereo with my 3.5's. The bass is amazing enough on the 3.5's, but I thought I might be able to reinforce the bottom end a bit more with a pair of subs. I'm still working on that. I selected these subs as I didn't want an imposing sub either. The SB12-NSD's would be an amazing pairing with the strada's and regardless where you live, they have a 45 day in house trial period with amazing technical support to get you set up properly. I have no experience with in-wall subs, but I have a hard time believing you would get as good an effect as subs that can be positioned to maximize their sonic qualities. Good luck!
post #2816 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy76 View Post

Hi all,

I am new to this thread but seriously considering acquiring some strada 2 a a sub or to.
Unfortunately for me, there are no dealers close to me, I think the nearest one is 1200km away so a bit far.
I was going to go for a pair of focal iw 1003 be but really tempted by the strada 2 due to glowing reviews.
Do you reckon I am mad to go ahead a getting a pair without auditioning them. This is part of a stereo set up only with a naim all in one streamer.
Obviously I will a sub or two and wondering any of you could recommend which subs is "best" in terms of integration with the speakers. I may add a second sub latter. I would love to have the sub in a corner as not to impose itself in the room.
Also, any of you have ever tried in wall subs by any chance?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Regards
Jean

I also recommend SVS SB12 sealed subs. If the space is limited (judging from going for a small speaker) then you can also try AG TR3 subs; they are even smaller. Both AG and SVS have generous return policies in the US so, I would imagine, you are not really taking any risks here.

I prefer SVS sound but you may find TR3s more fitting. My other advise is to get two subs. You will get much better integration.
post #2817 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuniverse View Post

I also recommend SVS SB12 sealed subs. If the space is limited (judging from going for a small speaker) then you can also try AG TR3 subs; they are even smaller. Both AG and SVS have generous return policies in the US so, I would imagine, you are not really taking any risks here.

I prefer SVS sound but you may find TR3s more fitting. My other advise is to get two subs. You will get much better integration.

To add to that, SVS also offers a discount if you purchase a pair.
post #2818 of 2935
Hi bluemark 81 and macuniverse,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply to my post. I do apologise if there are a few inconsistencies with my reply and last nights one as I am only typing with one finger courtesy of my little boy sleeping on me...smile.gif
Thanks for the advice in regards to subwoofers and did hear/ read a few positive reviews about the svs range. Space is not an issue, but more a wife issue smile.gif.
You see I kind of already stretching the limits as when we built the new house I got my man cave in the likes of a fully treated ht room 6500mm x 4500mm. I am not talking about using a disregarded or unused room that was converted into a ht room, but actually planed and part o the overall house, so claiming another room for myself may not be really be acceptable. She has agreed to treat the room as long as it does not look like the ht room, so I spent a bit of effort and money and went with vicoustics, which meet the wife's criteria, as it looks more like a designer product that actual room treatment.
I can t really have large floorstanders in the room hence me heading in the focal be inwall direction, but really tempted to try and get the gallo with wall mounts.
As for subs, well I thought I may try the inwall range but none of the dealers have inwall subs.
My other option would be a sub that could fit into a wall niche/cavity with the front half sticking out into the room but hopefully will not affect the sound, otherwise One in each corner but again they must be of acceptable size to please el wifo.....I had a look at some paradigm subs and OMG they are huge. REL. seem to be another option and have the reputation of integrating well with front speakers via there neutrik connection.
Macuniverse,You mentioned that I may prefer the tr3d to the svs12. Can you please elaborate on that please., pros and cons of what made you choose one over the other.?
My dealer of 15 years stocks martin logan so I try to audition the grotto I sub as it may be easy to fit in corners due to its configuration.
Bluemark 81, you mentioned the focal range and it s exactly where I was heading as I love the be tweeter and my ht room is an all focal deal apart from the subs, so my logical step was the in wall version,so if I may ask, what made you look elsewhere towards the Anthony gallo ref 3.5. The focal 1028be and 1038 be are spectacular speakers in my opinion. If I was allowed to have large floorstanders in the living room, I don t think I d be having this discussion to be honest as I would have settled for the 1028 or 38 if budget permitted.
Thanks again for your replies and advice.
Hope to read from you soon.
Regards
post #2819 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy76 View Post

Hi bluemark 81 and macuniverse,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply to my post. I do apologise if there are a few inconsistencies with my reply and last nights one as I am only typing with one finger courtesy of my little boy sleeping on me...smile.gif
Thanks for the advice in regards to subwoofers and did hear/ read a few positive reviews about the svs range. Space is not an issue, but more a wife issue smile.gif.
You see I kind of already stretching the limits as when we built the new house I got my man cave in the likes of a fully treated ht room 6500mm x 4500mm. I am not talking about using a disregarded or unused room that was converted into a ht room, but actually planed and part o the overall house, so claiming another room for myself may not be really be acceptable. She has agreed to treat the room as long as it does not look like the ht room, so I spent a bit of effort and money and went with vicoustics, which meet the wife's criteria, as it looks more like a designer product that actual room treatment.
I can t really have large floorstanders in the room hence me heading in the focal be inwall direction, but really tempted to try and get the gallo with wall mounts.
As for subs, well I thought I may try the inwall range but none of the dealers have inwall subs.
My other option would be a sub that could fit into a wall niche/cavity with the front half sticking out into the room but hopefully will not affect the sound, otherwise One in each corner but again they must be of acceptable size to please el wifo.....I had a look at some paradigm subs and OMG they are huge. REL. seem to be another option and have the reputation of integrating well with front speakers via there neutrik connection.
Macuniverse,You mentioned that I may prefer the tr3d to the svs12. Can you please elaborate on that please., pros and cons of what made you choose one over the other.?
My dealer of 15 years stocks martin logan so I try to audition the grotto I sub as it may be easy to fit in corners due to its configuration.
Bluemark 81, you mentioned the focal range and it s exactly where I was heading as I love the be tweeter and my ht room is an all focal deal apart from the subs, so my logical step was the in wall version,so if I may ask, what made you look elsewhere towards the Anthony gallo ref 3.5. The focal 1028be and 1038 be are spectacular speakers in my opinion. If I was allowed to have large floorstanders in the living room, I don t think I d be having this discussion to be honest as I would have settled for the 1028 or 38 if budget permitted.
Thanks again for your replies and advice.
Hope to read from you soon.
Regards

If you are thinking of placing the sub in a cabinet, the AG subs may be a better route due to their particular design and use of S2 fill. They may even discuss that on the AG website. I think they used to discuss how their subs can be placed inside cabinets anyway. Now that I know more of your situation, in-wall may be a viable solution for you.

My selection of the 3.5's was a year long journey. I had a pair of, not widely known, but highly regarded Lafleur X1 speakers out of Quebec that my wife hated the looks of. This is going to seem odd if you look at the X1's and then consider what I ended up getting, but I agreed to sell the x1's for something that appealed to her tastes, but still suited my sonic requirements. I try to go to the audio shows in Montreal and/orToronto every year and each year, I kept notes of various speakers and electronics that caught my ear. The Focals were actually high on my list. Keep in mind that speaker selection is rather subjective. What I like may not suit your tastes, but we all pretty much know what good sound is. As I gathered a list of speakers that met my criteria, I would show them to my wife for her aesthetic approval. Not thinking the Ref 3.5's would ever appeal to her at all, one evening I was sitting on the sofa reading a very positive review of the 3.5's when, as a joke, I held a picture of the 3.5's in front of my wife expecting to hear her say those are the ugliest things ever, when to my total surprise, she said, now, those are pretty darn cool. She liked them......she actually liked them. I jumped on that bandwagon immediately as time after time in hearing them at various audio shows and show rooms, they continued to amaze me. Two show rooms I was speaking with would not have the Gallos in the same room as other speakers costing much more as they claimed they would never be able to sell the others, unless it was for appearance only. Ther speakers I considered were from Audio Physic, PMC, Totem, Salks, Joseph Audio, etc. The film tweeter that is used on the AG's provide such a realistic and wide soundstage, it is breathtaking. They also provide such deep extension for such a tiny speaker thanks to the S2 loading, rivalling and beating many of the transmission line speakers. With no crossover, it also is very coherent. All in all, they sang to my ears more completely than any of the other speakers I auditioned. As part of my home theater, I have Paradigm Signature S6/S2/C3. I have tried my S6's side by side with the AG's and the AG's bests the Paradigms in every area, unless you prefer a large traditional looking speaker. Anyway, hope that gives you a bit more info as you go forward. Good luck!
post #2820 of 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy76 View Post

Hi bluemark 81 and macuniverse,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply to my post. I do apologise if there are a few inconsistencies with my reply and last nights one as I am only typing with one finger courtesy of my little boy sleeping on me...smile.gif
Thanks for the advice in regards to subwoofers and did hear/ read a few positive reviews about the svs range. Space is not an issue, but more a wife issue smile.gif.
You see I kind of already stretching the limits as when we built the new house I got my man cave in the likes of a fully treated ht room 6500mm x 4500mm. I am not talking about using a disregarded or unused room that was converted into a ht room, but actually planed and part o the overall house, so claiming another room for myself may not be really be acceptable. She has agreed to treat the room as long as it does not look like the ht room, so I spent a bit of effort and money and went with vicoustics, which meet the wife's criteria, as it looks more like a designer product that actual room treatment.
I can t really have large floorstanders in the room hence me heading in the focal be inwall direction, but really tempted to try and get the gallo with wall mounts.
As for subs, well I thought I may try the inwall range but none of the dealers have inwall subs.
My other option would be a sub that could fit into a wall niche/cavity with the front half sticking out into the room but hopefully will not affect the sound, otherwise One in each corner but again they must be of acceptable size to please el wifo.....I had a look at some paradigm subs and OMG they are huge. REL. seem to be another option and have the reputation of integrating well with front speakers via there neutrik connection.
Macuniverse,You mentioned that I may prefer the tr3d to the svs12. Can you please elaborate on that please., pros and cons of what made you choose one over the other.?
My dealer of 15 years stocks martin logan so I try to audition the grotto I sub as it may be easy to fit in corners due to its configuration.
Bluemark 81, you mentioned the focal range and it s exactly where I was heading as I love the be tweeter and my ht room is an all focal deal apart from the subs, so my logical step was the in wall version,so if I may ask, what made you look elsewhere towards the Anthony gallo ref 3.5. The focal 1028be and 1038 be are spectacular speakers in my opinion. If I was allowed to have large floorstanders in the living room, I don t think I d be having this discussion to be honest as I would have settled for the 1028 or 38 if budget permitted.
Thanks again for your replies and advice.
Hope to read from you soon.
Regards

Good luck with your new man cave. Sounds exciting. Re sub selection, if I remember correctly, TR3 is less fussy about location; i.e., if you need to hide it somewhere. You can definitely call AGA and ask them about your specific requirement. They are very responsive.

Cheers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread