or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › St. Louis, MO - Charter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

St. Louis, MO - Charter - Page 84

post #2491 of 3563
I have a new Moxi that's not working very well and an old Moxi and Mate that is on its last legs. I've read that the new multi room dvr won't let me record or fast forward from the satellite locations. Since this is a major negative, I'm looking for other options. Would purchasing my own Moxi solve this problem? I understand the top of the line Moxi has three different tuners. Would it allow me to record and fast forward from the satellite locations?
post #2492 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post
I have a new Moxi that's not working very well and an old Moxi and Mate that is on its last legs. I've read that the new multi room dvr won't let me record or fast forward from the satellite locations. Since this is a major negative, I'm looking for other options. Would purchasing my own Moxi solve this problem? I understand the top of the line Moxi has three different tuners. Would it allow me to record and fast forward from the satellite locations?
Good evening, To my knowledge the retail Moxi can pause and rewind through the Mate but cannot set up new recordings. I personally have our Moca system in my home and the benefits definitely outweigh the drawbacks that you listed. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

-George
post #2493 of 3563
StockInv,

Just wanted to follow up with to make sure you didn't have any other questions or concerns.

-George
post #2494 of 3563
Yes, I'm wondering if any enhancements are planned for the new multi room Mate, which will allow it function similarly to the old Mates, allowing recording and fast forwarding from the Mate. One of the primary reasons for having a DVR is to FF through
commercials, etc. I don't know why Charter would put these out without this feature.
post #2495 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

Yes, I'm wondering if any enhancements are planned for the new multi room Mate, which will allow it function similarly to the old Mates, allowing recording and fast forwarding from the Mate. One of the primary reasons for having a DVR is to FF through
commercials, etc. I don't know why Charter would put these out without this feature.

Motorola does not currently have these features available for any provider. Once they are made available we will definitely look into adding those features.
post #2496 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

Yes, I'm wondering if any enhancements are planned for the new multi room Mate, which will allow it function similarly to the old Mates, allowing recording and fast forwarding from the Mate. One of the primary reasons for having a DVR is to FF through
commercials, etc. I don't know why Charter would put these out without this feature.

Just to clarify...If you are watching a RECORDED program on the sattelites, you CAN pause, rewind, fast forward.

You cannot do this if you are watching a LIVE program.

Tim
post #2497 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfila View Post
Just to clarify...If you are watching a RECORDED program on the sattelites, you CAN pause, rewind, fast forward.

You cannot do this if you are watching a LIVE program.

Tim

Thanks for that information. That's very helpful and will probably cause me to look into obtaining the multi-room dvr, although I assume one is unable to record from the satellite locations.
post #2498 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post
Thanks for that information. That's very helpful and will probably cause me to look into obtaining the multi-room dvr, although I assume one is unable to record from the satellite locations.
That is correct. The only interaction the secondary boxes have with the main dvr is in viewing (ff/rw/pause) recorded content. All recording have to be scheduled on the main dvr.
post #2499 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post
That is correct. The only interaction the secondary boxes have with the main dvr is in viewing (ff/rw/pause) recorded content. All recording have to be scheduled on the main dvr.
I'm a "silver" Moxi user with a MoxiMate, and I can't believe the extra room units have taken such a step backwards. Currently with the Mate, I can pause/ff/rew live TV, AND I can manipulate the main unit as if I were downstairs...record any show that's currently live, set future programs to record, modify existing series options, delete old programs, etc.

Why anyone would think losing all of that would be acceptable is completely beyond me.
post #2500 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbrtRetryIgnore View Post

I'm a "silver" Moxi user with a Moxi Mate, and I can't believe the extra room units have taken such a step backwards. Currently with the Mate, I can pause/ff/rew live TV, AND I can manipulate the main unit as if I were downstairs...record any show that's currently live, set future programs to record, modify existing series options, delete old programs, etc.

Why anyone would think losing all of that would be acceptable is completely beyond me.

I'd rather have hd playback and a dedicated tuner on the other TVs than controlling the DVR features. So people have different priorities.
post #2501 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty View Post

I'd rather have hd playback and a dedicated tuner on the other TVs than controlling the DVR features. So people have different priorities.

I agree. People do have different priorities.

So why not give the consumers a choice of multi-room options, rather than limiting them to just one that literally removes standard features in order to add others? Those of us who really like the "original DVR functionality" of pause/ff/rew/record live programming in our 2nd and 3rd rooms have had our preferred solution completely eliminated. And that sucks.
post #2502 of 3563
Question for StL Charter HD viewers, regardless of what kind of box you're using:

I've been dealing with Charter for some weeks now on improving PQ (I'm using Tivo HDs). AMC HD is grainy/sparkly; TNT HD is macroblocked and pixelated, especially for basketball; KSDK is macroblocked, fast motion and reds break up the picture; etc.

Charter has been out several times, replacing cables and equipment in the alley, disconnecting the signal amp etc etc etc. Last pronouncement is that it's my TiVo boxes. Both gone bad at the same time? I don't think so. I think it's systemwide signal compression.

It wasn't always this way. I've got a couple of series saved that go back to last year. For example, I have all six eps of AMC's "The Walking Dead." The season finale in December looks bad; previous eps look good (for AMC).

So the question: has anybody else seen this degradation of PQ, and can you estimate when it started?
thx
barry
post #2503 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby View Post

Question for StL Charter HD viewers, regardless of what kind of box you're using:

I've been dealing with Charter for some weeks now on improving PQ (I'm using Tivo HDs). AMC HD is grainy/sparkly; TNT HD is macroblocked and pixelated, especially for basketball; KSDK is macroblocked, fast motion and reds break up the picture; etc.

Charter has been out several times, replacing cables and equipment in the alley, disconnecting the signal amp etc etc etc. Last pronouncement is that it's my TiVo boxes. Both gone bad at the same time? I don't think so. I think it's systemwide signal compression.

It wasn't always this way. I've got a couple of series saved that go back to last year. For example, I have all six eps of AMC's "The Walking Dead." The season finale in December looks bad; previous eps look good (for AMC).

So the question: has anybody else seen this degradation of PQ, and can you estimate when it started?
thx
barry

Yes. We've all had PQ degradation in the last few months. I and a few others have mentioned how much the PQ dropped significantly. So its not your Tivo box, its Charter compression that I assume was increased to make room for more channels. This morning I was watching the Bourne Ultimatum on USA HD and during the car chase scene in NYC, I could see tons of macroblocking from about 10' away on my 46" TV. Watching wrestling now is like watching a 56K internet stream. I promise to record it one day just to show people how bad it is now, but I forget to do so.
post #2504 of 3563
There are lot of tv show marathons on cable now and not many new good shows watch any more. Sometimes my tivo will record hows its made all day and not record other shows i might want to watch. so i have have to go into my to do list and remove all the marathon shows.

also my tivo suggestion dont work at all now
post #2505 of 3563
The compression gives you more space on your tivo. but star wars on spike hd looked kind of bad when there was lot of movement. I hope its better tonoght when the first star wars comes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreventerWind View Post

Yes. We've all had PQ degradation in the last few months. I and a few others have mentioned how much the PQ dropped significantly. So its not your Tivo box, its Charter compression that I assume was increased to make room for more channels. This morning I was watching the Bourne Ultimatum on USA HD and during the car chase scene in NYC, I could see tons of macroblocking from about 10' away on my 46" TV. Watching wrestling now is like watching a 56K internet stream. I promise to record it one day just to show people how bad it is now, but I forget to do so.
post #2506 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby View Post

Question for StL Charter HD viewers, regardless of what kind of box you're using:

I've been dealing with Charter for some weeks now on improving PQ (I'm using Tivo HDs). AMC HD is grainy/sparkly; TNT HD is macroblocked and pixelated, especially for basketball; KSDK is macroblocked, fast motion and reds break up the picture; etc.

Charter has been out several times, replacing cables and equipment in the alley, disconnecting the signal amp etc etc etc. Last pronouncement is that it's my TiVo boxes. Both gone bad at the same time? I don't think so. I think it's systemwide signal compression.

It wasn't always this way. I've got a couple of series saved that go back to last year. For example, I have all six eps of AMC's "The Walking Dead." The season finale in December looks bad; previous eps look good (for AMC).

So the question: has anybody else seen this degradation of PQ, and can you estimate when it started?
thx
barry

I've noticed the same thing. Concerts on Paladia (CH799) have become unwatchable. I'm watching the most recent Indiana Jones movie on USA (CH786) as I type this and all the fight/chase scenes break up horribly.

I was looking forward to the new channels but not any more. It's obvious the bandwidth allocation has greatly degraded picture quality.
post #2507 of 3563
Umatter2charter,

What is charter doing to address these bandwidth/compression issues that everyone has been complaining about?
post #2508 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer View Post

Umatter2charter,

What is charter doing to address these bandwidth/compression issues that everyone has been complaining about?

Yeah I wasn't convinced at first, but it seems during motion and transition scenes pixelation is a lot more common now.
post #2509 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbrtRetryIgnore View Post

I'm a "silver" Moxi user with a MoxiMate, and I can't believe the extra room units have taken such a step backwards. Currently with the Mate, I can pause/ff/rew live TV, AND I can manipulate the main unit as if I were downstairs...record any show that's currently live, set future programs to record, modify existing series options, delete old programs, etc.

Why anyone would think losing all of that would be acceptable is completely beyond me.

Good evening.

We understand the inconvenience losing a preferred feature can cause. Unfortunately the MOXI and Mate are no long an option moving forward. However, the multi room DVR offers a larger hard drive and is an excellent HD DVR.

Do you have any other questions we can assist you with?

Thank you,
Steve
http://www.charter.com/Umatter2Charter
post #2510 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer View Post

Umatter2charter,

What is charter doing to address these bandwidth/compression issues that everyone has been complaining about?

Good evening.

We'd be happy to research the issues you are experiencing. Can you provide some specific examples? We will reach out to our engineering group for information.

Thank you,
Steve
http://www.charter.com/Umatter2Charter
post #2511 of 3563
For about the 4th day in a row, I will lose ESPN channels for random periods of time. This includes ESPNU, ESPN, ESPN News and ESPN2. All other channels work fine. Rebooting the MOXI box does no good. After some random period of time, they eventually come back. But it's getting very frustrating as there are some good bball games on when this happens (of course). I would like to know if this is a general Charter issue or something with my MOXI box. I'm guessing its a wider Charter signal issue with ESPN feeds, but curious if others have seen this.
post #2512 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by opie99 View Post

For about the 4th day in a row, I will lose ESPN channels for random periods of time. This includes ESPNU, ESPN, ESPN News and ESPN2. All other channels work fine. Rebooting the MOXI box does no good. After some random period of time, they eventually come back. But it's getting very frustrating as there are some good bball games on when this happens (of course). I would like to know if this is a general Charter issue or something with my MOXI box. I'm guessing its a wider Charter signal issue with ESPN feeds, but curious if others have seen this.

Well, I answered my own question. When I unplugged the MOXI, waited a minute or two, then plugged it back in. Now the box will not even power up. Must be a bad power supply. Time to replace the box. Let the fun begin.....
post #2513 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Good evening.

We'd be happy to research the issues you are experiencing. Can you provide some specific examples? We will reach out to our engineering group for information.

Thank you,
Steve
http://www.charter.com/Umatter2Charter

The movie "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" on USA-HD. The jungle chase scenes in particular.
post #2514 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Good evening.

We'd be happy to research the issues you are experiencing. Can you provide some specific examples? We will reach out to our engineering group for information.

Thank you,
Steve
http://www.charter.com/Umatter2Charter

Watch Monday Night Raw tomorrow. Watch any of the wrestlers come out to their entrance music. You'll see macroblocking like there's no tomorrow. Also, watch any of them get slammed to the mat.
post #2515 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Good evening.

We'd be happy to research the issues you are experiencing. Can you provide some specific examples? We will reach out to our engineering group for information.

Thank you,
Steve
http://www.charter.com/Umatter2Charter

Steve
Read the PMs between me and you and Seph for examples. I even sent Seph a still from an ep of "Chuck."
Watch "Chuck" on Monday night. Watch NBA games on TNT. Watch HDNET movies, which used to be gorgeous. Pretty much watch any channel and you'll see it.
barry
post #2516 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post


Good evening.

We'd be happy to research the issues you are experiencing. Can you provide some specific examples? We will reach out to our engineering group for information.

Thank you,
Steve
http://www.charter.com/Umatter2Charter

I think you just have to read through the past couple weeks of forum posts to see many examples citied. This is a general problem since more hd channels were added and not specific to any one user!
post #2517 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Good evening.

We'd be happy to research the issues you are experiencing. Can you provide some specific examples? We will reach out to our engineering group for information.

Thank you,
Steve
http://www.charter.com/Umatter2Charter

Any of the fast motion scenes in Merlin on the SyFy HD channel.
post #2518 of 3563
Yeah, it's pretty easy to see the effects of the compression on most channels now. When comparing recordings from last summer to ones now the file sizes and bitrates are noticeably lower now.
post #2519 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer View Post

I think you just have to read through the past couple weeks of forum posts to see many examples citied. This is a general problem since more hd channels were added and not specific to any one user!

Thanks for the feedback.

We made contact with our head end operations group and were advised that we encode at the same rate that is laid out across the national backbone.

Let us know if you have any futher questions.

Thank you,
Steve
http://www.charter.com/Umatter2Charter
post #2520 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by opie99 View Post

Well, I answered my own question. When I unplugged the MOXI, waited a minute or two, then plugged it back in. Now the box will not even power up. Must be a bad power supply. Time to replace the box. Let the fun begin.....



Good afternoon.

Sorry to hear about the MOXI issue. We'd be glad to help you get this taken care of. Please send a private message with the name, address, and telephone number on the account and we'll be glad to assist you.

Thank you,
Steve
http://www.charter.com/Umatter2Charter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › St. Louis, MO - Charter