or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › St. Louis, MO - Charter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

St. Louis, MO - Charter - Page 112

post #3331 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

Last week I heard the same thing from a technician. My Moxi box recently died, and I received the only choice in its place, the Motorola DVR. Charter won't support the multi-room setup anymore. This is quite unfortunate and leaves Charter at a competitive disadvantage. Compared to the Moxi, the Motorola DVR is horrible and I dislike it immensely. You would think that as important as DVR's are, Charter would come up with a suitable model, LIKE THE MOXI.
The last few experiences I've had with Charter have been quite worrisome in that I'm receiving misinformation. I'm being told things that aren't true. I thought Charter customer service had greatly improved over the past few years, but it appears they are reverting back to their old ways.

Hi StockInv,

As a customer, your feedback is valuable to us and we will be sure to pass it along. In regards to Moxi, we are no longer offering them on installs/upgrades/service visits. No immediate action is required for existing Moxi customers. However, if they require a replacement, the equipment will be replaced with Motorola equipment. This will provide an interactive guide that is the same on all TVs and reliable equipment. Moxi receivers have a high frequency for technical issues and failures. Repairs are not always possible, and issues may reoccur. For that reason, a Moxi receiver is not performing the way it should, we will replace it with a Motorola receiver.

In regards to Multi-Room DVRs (MRDVR), we feel that the best possible customer experience is one in which our customers have full control over their viewing experience on every TV. For example, with MRDVR service, you are not able to pause and rewind live TV on secondary receivers. In addition, you are not able to schedule, delete and manage recordings from secondary receivers. This limits control over your viewing experience. We ARE exploring options to provide a service that would allow for content sharing, without sacrificing other core DVR functionality.

We look forward to improving your customer experience so feel free to PM us if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
Abby
post #3332 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Hi StockInv,

For that reason, a Moxi receiver is not performing the way it should, we will replace it with a Motorola receiver.
In regards to Multi-Room DVRs (MRDVR), we feel that the best possible customer experience is one in which our customers have full control over their viewing experience on every TV. For example, with MRDVR service, you are not able to pause and rewind live TV on secondary receivers. In addition, you are not able to schedule, delete and manage recordings from secondary receivers. This limits control over your viewing experience. We ARE exploring options to provide a service that would allow for content sharing, without sacrificing other core DVR functionality.
We look forward to improving your customer experience so feel free to PM us if we can be of further assistance.
Thank you,
Abby

I feel Charter is really dropping the ball on DVR service. By now Charter should have a DVR system, with an interface as good as on the Moxi, that will do everything you stated above. I have four televisions. With your Motorola DVR's that won't work as a multi-room system, I would have to record a program in my family room, then go downstairs and record it in my workout room in the basement, then go to my bedroom and record it there. In order to begin watching a program in one room and continue in another, I would have to search to find the exact spot where I left off, (with the Motorola's poor search feature). After watching I would have to clear each recording from each DVR.
And you refer to this as "the best possible customer experience"? I'm not sure you understand your customers.
post #3333 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

I feel Charter is really dropping the ball on DVR service. By now Charter should have a DVR system, with an interface as good as on the Moxi, that will do everything you stated above. I have four televisions. With your Motorola DVR's that won't work as a multi-room system, I would have to record a program in my family room, then go downstairs and record it in my workout room in the basement, then go to my bedroom and record it there. In order to begin watching a program in one room and continue in another, I would have to search to find the exact spot where I left off, (with the Motorola's poor search feature). After watching I would have to clear each recording from each DVR.
And you refer to this as "the best possible customer experience"? I'm not sure you understand your customers.

Thanks again for your feedback. We ARE currently exploring options to provide a service that would allow for content sharing, without sacrificing other core DVR functionality. I do not have any additional details to share right now, but it is definitely something to look forward to.

-Abby
post #3334 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

... leaves Charter at a competitive disadvantage...I thought Charter customer service had greatly improved...

I disagree. Charter has a huge advantage over other providers in that I can stick a cable card in a Ceton or HDHomeRun Prime and make my own DVR without service fees. I get a choice between Windows Media Center or MythTV and others. I am in control of it and it does what I want. (Granted, maybe that wouldn't be the case without the FCC requiring it, but they seem supportive of it here, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who directs his money to them because of it.)

Also, I wouldn't conflate their customer service with their technical offerings. First of all, you probably have to blame Motorola for the DVR sucking, and maybe some exec for choosing it (if there even are any other choices). Customer service had nothing to do with it - they just get the crap thrown at them.
post #3335 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglebungle View Post

I disagree. Charter has a huge advantage over other providers in that I can stick a cable card in a Ceton or HDHomeRun Prime and make my own DVR without service fees. I get a choice between Windows Media Center or MythTV and others. I am in control of it and it does what I want. (Granted, maybe that wouldn't be the case without the FCC requiring it, but they seem supportive of it here, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who directs his money to them because of it.)
Also, I wouldn't conflate their customer service with their technical offerings. First of all, you probably have to blame Motorola for the DVR sucking, and maybe some exec for choosing it (if there even are any other choices). Customer service had nothing to do with it - they just get the crap thrown at them.

As a very long time Charter customer, I agree with what you're saying ..

As well, during my history with the company, customer service currently is at an all time high ..
post #3336 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglebungle View Post

I disagree. Charter has a huge advantage over other providers in that I can stick a cable card in a Ceton or HDHomeRun Prime and make my own DVR without service fees. I get a choice between Windows Media Center or MythTV and others. I am in control of it and it does what I want. (Granted, maybe that wouldn't be the case without the FCC requiring it, but they seem supportive of it here, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who directs his money to them because of it.)


You may be able to customize your own DVR without service fees, but for the other 99% of customers who aren't as technically saavy, they are stuck with the shortcomings of the Motorola DVR.
post #3337 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglebungle View Post


You may be able to customize your own DVR without service fees, but for the other 99% of customers who aren't as technically saavy, they are stuck with the shortcomings of the Motorola DVR.

Charter does not have a monopoly .. there are options out there ..
post #3338 of 3563
Hopefully I fixed the improperly nested quoting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

You may be able to customize your own DVR without service fees, but for the other 99% of customers who aren't as technically saavy, they are stuck with the shortcomings of the Motorola DVR.

Ceton has an off-the-shelf DVR with available extenders coming soon. And certain versions of Windows come with Media Center, and while I've never used it, it is supposed to be fairly plug-and-play. Even MythTV can be installed fairly easily with a Mythbuntu disc. And since MythTV & Linux are free, there's no downside to trying to learn. You get exactly 1 choice with DirectTV or UVerse. If that one sucks you are SOL.
post #3339 of 3563
UMatter2Charter,

Can I talk to someone knowledgeable concerning the new pricing structure as it applies to my account. My last attempt via the online chat was extraordinarily frustrating as I was told I could not utilize the new pricing which is incorrect.

I also have some questions concerning my Motorola MRDVR when I move in a a few weeks.

Thanks
post #3340 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal View Post

UMatter2Charter,
Can I talk to someone knowledgeable concerning the new pricing structure as it applies to my account. My last attempt via the online chat was extraordinarily frustrating as I was told I could not utilize the new pricing which is incorrect.
I also have some questions concerning my Motorola MRDVR when I move in a a few weeks.
Thanks

Good afternoon,

We would be glad to help with the new pricing structure questions you have, and I am sorry to hear that your previous experience did not live up to your expectations. Please send us a PM with the address, phone number, and the account number so we can talk about specifics privately. Also include the questions you have regarding the MR DVR.

Thanks,

Jeremy
post #3341 of 3563
Anyone else been having service issues with internet? Getting modem reboots, high ping times and slow internet response at times. I'm just south of Lambert airport.
post #3342 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Green View Post

Anyone else been having service issues with internet? Getting modem reboots, high ping times and slow internet response at times. I'm just south of Lambert airport.

My son was complaining of similar issues at our house yesterday (in Clayton).
post #3343 of 3563
Good Afternoon,

Sorry for the trouble frown.gif There is currently an intermittent noisei ssue in that area causing trouble. We have an outage ticket open and system techs were out all day yesterday and today. We will continue to work on this until we have it resolved.

Thanks,

Dylan
post #3344 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post

My son was complaining of similar issues at our house yesterday (in Clayton).

This should be resolved now smile.gif

Are you still having trouble at all?

Thanks,

Dylan
post #3345 of 3563
My connections seems to be rock solid now for the last two days. I will monitor and let you know. Thanks.
post #3346 of 3563
same here, all good...thanks
post #3347 of 3563
Glad to hear it! If either of you ever have any other issues feel free to hit us up!

Thanks,

Dylan
post #3348 of 3563
Is anybody else's Internet down this morning? (Edwardsville/Glen Carbon area)

I tried calling customer service but all I get is a busy signal.
post #3349 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Jeff View Post

Is anybody else's Internet down this morning? (Edwardsville/Glen Carbon area)
I tried calling customer service but all I get is a busy signal.

Good Afternoon,

There was a DNS outage this morning causing issues. It has been resolved. I apologize for the trouble frown.gif

Thanks,

Dylan
post #3350 of 3563
Will charter be adding extrra channels for the summer olympics? Some cable companys are adding olympic 3d channel.
post #3351 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post

Will charter be adding extrra channels for the summer olympics? Some cable companys are adding olympic 3d channel.

Good Morning,

We will not be adding any additional channels for the Olympics but we will offer online and OnDemand coverage. More info below:

Quote:
What?
Charter is proud to offer more ways than ever to watch the 2012 Olympic Games. This year Charter.net/NBClondongames and NBCOlympics.com give you access to every single event LIVE!
There’s also bonus coverage including replays, interviews, news and more. This same great coverage is available with the LiveExtra mobile and tablet applications. All TV customers who subscribe to both MSNBC and CNBC have access to the online and on the go coverage at no additional charge.
Plus, visit Channel 1 > Sports Free > 2012 London Olympics for even more Olympics coverage On Demand.
When?
Beginning with the trial coverage on 6/23/12, anyone with MSNBC and CNBC from Charter TV will be able to watch the London Olympics LIVE online and on the go throughCharter.net/NBClondongames, NBCOlympics.com and LiveExtra apps*.
6/23/12 – Coverage of the Olympic Trials begins online
7/25/12 – First Live event coverage
7/27/12 – Opening Ceremonies
8/12/12 – Closing Ceremonies
*Apps will be available by 7/25

Where?
Live Olympic coverage is available wherever there is an Internet connection to anyone with MSNBC and CNBC from Charter TV. A mobile device is needed to view on the go content.
How?
To access this Olympic coverage, visit one of the following sites:
Charter.net/NBClondongames


NBCOlympics.com

NBC Olympics Apps

Charter Internet customers should log in using their email address, password and zip code. Customers who do not have Charter Internet log in using My Account username, password and zip code.


Thanks,

Dylan
post #3352 of 3563
UM2C,

Could we get an update on TIVO for St. Louis?

And just an FYI, if you link me to that freaking site again that says nothing other than "Coming soon to other markets..." I'm going to lose it... ;-)

One of my Moxi boxes has pretty much had it. Almost to the point that I was ready to take it in and exchange it for a Motorola (blech) box today.

However, I don't want to swap my 2 Moxi boxes out for the Motorola ones only to swap those as well a few months from now.

So are we talking weeks, months, next year?!

Thanks,
Rob
post #3353 of 3563
The TIVO launch is dependent on TIVO being able to supply Charter with enough units to work with Charter VOD systems .. apparently, Charter VOD is different than what TIVO had worked with previously so the rework of the hardware as well as manufacturing time is what's playing into this .. Charter has set no date for a complete rollout that I am aware of and did cancel the statement of a 2nd quarter rollout .. an off the shelf TIVO still requires a Charter CableCard ..
post #3354 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt_DoUrden View Post

UM2C,
Could we get an update on TIVO for St. Louis?
And just an FYI, if you link me to that freaking site again that says nothing other than "Coming soon to other markets..." I'm going to lose it... ;-)
One of my Moxi boxes has pretty much had it. Almost to the point that I was ready to take it in and exchange it for a Motorola (blech) box today.
However, I don't want to swap my 2 Moxi boxes out for the Motorola ones only to swap those as well a few months from now.
So are we talking weeks, months, next year?!
Thanks,
Rob

I've used the Moto DVR now for some time .. it's actually pretty good .. other than the OSD, which could stand an update, the hardware itself is reliable and consistent .. much better than the 6 or so MOXI's I went thru over the span of a year and a half ..
post #3355 of 3563
Mgkdragn,

What is the model of Motorola that they are rolling out to people now?

Are you making use of the MR DVR they are advertising now with the Moto boxes?

Can you hook up an external drive to this boxes finally?

Thanks for any info you can help with.
post #3356 of 3563
Good Afternoon,

Currently there are no updates to provide. We request that you check the link because as soon as we have information that we can release it will be added to that page. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Dylan
post #3357 of 3563
Thanks Dylan.

I understand, and while I appreciate your Jedi mind tricks, I am anything but "patient" when waiting for the TIVOs to arrive in St. Louis. ;-)

In case you get back to me before Mkdragn does.

Can you tell me what models you currently distribute for the Motorola DVRs?

I'm curious about their storage, if you can expand via ESATA or firewire. I know you couldn't on the old ones.

Also curious about the MR DVR package. I'm assuming the other 1 - 3 secondary boxes are just boxes that can connect with the primary, meaning they don't do any recording on their own.

Thanks to my wonderful kids we can't live on just one DVR. Between the 3 of them, my wife, and myself we can have 3 things recording at once quite frequently. Doesn't sound like we can get away with just 1 DVR and 3 satellites. :-\
post #3358 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt_DoUrden View Post

Mgkdragn,
What is the model of Motorola that they are rolling out to people now?
Are you making use of the MR DVR they are advertising now with the Moto boxes?
Can you hook up an external drive to this boxes finally?
Thanks for any info you can help with.

It's my understanding that the 8640hdc does have the ESATA port turned on .. and is the only unit I know of that does .. .. .. and the port is reportedly finicky on what external drive you use .. the MOXI's I had before the MOTO were the same way .. and external drive failure on 2 ex drives kinda swayed me away .. the lack of power down caused overheating and failure ..
Edited by mgkdragn - 7/23/12 at 1:01pm
post #3359 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It's my understanding that the 8640hdc does have the ESATA port turned on .. I don't use it as the DVR as is never gets filled up anyway .. and the port is reportedly finicky on what external drive you use .. the MOXI's I had before the MOTO were the same way .. and external drive failure on 2 ex drives kinda swayed me away .. the lack of power down caused overheating and failure ..

??

Isn't the 8640hdc a Cisco box??

I'm confused...
post #3360 of 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt_DoUrden View Post

??
Isn't the 8640hdc a Cisco box??
I'm confused...

yes, it is .. that's the only DVR Charter offers that I know of that has the port turned on .. I posted that info in light of your external drive question ..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › St. Louis, MO - Charter