or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › ***Official HSU owners/support thread!***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 8

post #211 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarzoo View Post

...................... My wife was on the crapper, two floors aboe the basement and she cut the tail off prematurely, as the toilet lid sounded as if it were going to rattle off. It was awesome.

I always thought it worked the other way; SCARED S.......!
post #212 of 6210
Just wanted to throw in a "Damn i love my 3.3" (3 months or so with it now)

Played a quick shot for a couple of neighbors!

LOTR2 forget chapter -like 50+, When the Orc is running with the torch to blow up the wall from underneith it.

Im not sure really how low it goes but what a sweet 1 Minute of Butt kicking thumping sound and SOOOO clear!!!

Out of my 100 DVD selection this one really shows off the power and feel of the sub for a fairly lengthy amount of time.

Neighbors quote " Geeez Bill we should just pay you the $9.50 to watch movies"

Such a good feeling to give up the sweet spot and just watch the grin get bigger and bigger on a couple of buddies faces!
post #213 of 6210
I also got mine 3.3 last Friday, and oh boy......it's worth every pennies
post #214 of 6210
Hello all, I'm new to this thread. I just purchased a HSU 3.3, it should be in the mail by now. My needs are 75% HT and 25% music. I really enjoy depth and slam when it comes to movies but I don't like too much bass when it comes to music, I tend to turn it down. Which setting on the HSU would you think works best for my situation? My room is a carpeted concrete slab measuring about 20 x 14 x 8. I'm really not a fan of flipping switches on the back of the sub. I'm the type of guy who sits something in the place and leaves it there (once all my tweaking is done of course ). Is there are big sacrifice in bass output if I leave the sub set to its maximum extension setting? I'll on the 21st floor of a co-op so I as I do enjoy deep bass, I'm not trying to bring the walls down or be on my boards hit list .
post #215 of 6210
The best thing is to try them both and see what you like. Depending though what your receiver is, you may be able to set differing levels for each input.

Good luck.
post #216 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Hello all, I'm new to this thread. I just purchased a HSU 3.3, it should be in the mail by now. My needs are 75% HT and 25% music. I really enjoy depth and slam when it comes to movies but I don't like too much bass when it comes to music, I tend to turn it down. Which setting on the HSU would you think works best for my situation? My room is a carpeted concrete slab measuring about 20 x 14 x 8. I'm really not a fan of flipping switches on the back of the sub. I'm the type of guy who sits something in the place and leaves it there (once all my tweaking is done of course ). Is there are big sacrifice in bass output if I leave the sub set to its maximum extension setting? I'll on the 21st floor of a co-op so I as I do enjoy deep bass, I'm not trying to bring the walls down or be on my boards hit list .

As mentioned, try them both and see for yourself.

When I got my 3.3, I tried them both ways and really much preferred the max output (both ports open). I really noticed the difference in music. For movies, I tried them both ways and to be honest, I liked having the extension with a port closed but felt I was giving up too much for it.

IMO, if your going to be watching movies at very high volumes, I would look into the turbo option. I picked one up and used it for 2 weeks. I ended up returning it last week because quite honestly, I hardly ever watch movies at really high levels and I felt that is where the turbo best shines. So I am back to max output and am thrilled with the performance.
post #217 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvg45 View Post

As mentioned, try them both and see for yourself.

When I got my 3.3, I tried them both ways and really much preferred the max output (both ports open). I really noticed the difference in music. For movies, I tried them both ways and to be honest, I liked having the extension with a port closed but felt I was giving up too much for it.

IMO, if your going to be watching movies at very high volumes, I would look into the turbo option. I picked one up and used it for 2 weeks. I ended up returning it last week because quite honestly, I hardly ever watch movies at really high levels and I felt that is where the turbo best shines. So I am back to max output and am thrilled with the performance.

I recently read a review in the Sensible Sound that said the HSU was able to reach 114db at 31.5hz in maximum extension mode which is great. Does anyone knows how it performs in this mode above 31.5hz? Has there been any measurements on bandwith uniformity in either mode?
post #218 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

I recently read a review in the Sensible Sound that said the HSU was able to reach 114db at 31.5hz in maximum extension mode which is great. Does anyone knows how it performs in this mode above 31.5hz? Has there been any measurements on bandwith uniformity in either mode?

Probably not what you asked for but here is a review of the HO using a combination test tone both with the turbo and max output.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html
post #219 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvg45 View Post

Probably not what you asked for but here is a review of the HO using a combination test tone both with the turbo and max output.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html

Thanks that was helpful. When using the maximum output mode has anyone got useable performance below 22hz?
post #220 of 6210
I'll show you how my VTF-3 Mk2 (not 3.3) looks like in-room.


The attached pictures show Max Extension and Max Output, in my room with a few bass traps in each front corner. I went with Max Extension and you can see how the frequency response looks in my signature - I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to equalize the response so it's very flat.

The graphs were taken with Room EQ Wizard.


Click on both, then stretch the pop-up window so the pictures are full size, and use ALT + left/right arrows to switch between them. You can see the extra extension in the 20Hz mode, and the plateau in the 20s and the higher SPL in the higher frequencies in 25Hz mode.

With an eq, you can shape (most of) the output to whatever you want, although Max Output still has a bit more headroom up higher, and Max Extension will still dig deeper.
LL
LL
post #221 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Thanks that was helpful. When using the maximum output mode has anyone got useable performance below 22hz?

Just a quick search

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9539877

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9554166
post #222 of 6210

gvg45, that is gold. Exactly was I looking for. It appears that even in maximum spl mode the 3.3 seems to deliver 3 digital spl's at around 19hz. Great
post #223 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

I'll show you how my VTF-3 Mk2 (not 3.3) looks like in-room.


The attached pictures show Max Extension and Max Output, in my room with a few bass traps in each front corner. I went with Max Extension and you can see how the frequency response looks in my signature - I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to equalize the response so it's very flat.

The graphs were taken with Room EQ Wizard.


Click on both, then stretch the pop-up window so the pictures are full size, and use ALT + left/right arrows to switch between them. You can see the extra extension in the 20Hz mode, and the plateau in the 20s and the higher SPL in the higher frequencies in 25Hz mode.

With an eq, you can shape (most of) the output to whatever you want, although Max Output still has a bit more headroom up higher, and Max Extension will still dig deeper.

Very nice, I think I should invest in some bass traps .
post #224 of 6210
Bass traps are really great, but really they improve the quality of the bass, not the frequency response. It does help frequency response a bit, but not down really low, and you need to have a lot of them.

What bass traps will do, however, is improve the quality of the bass by reducing ringing and boominess. It makes the bass sound cleaner and clearer, letting you hear more of the bass and less of what the room adds to the bass as the sound waves bounce around. You hear what the bass sounds like, what the subwoofer sounds like.

Very important investment. You can get your own absorption material (like Owens Corning 703) and make your own panels or "wedges," and fill up your corners as much as you can. You want thick absorption in the corners for bass. You can also add thinner panels to the side walls, like at the first reflection points, to improve the sound of the rest of the frequencies, so you hear the sound of the speakers and not the room. This will open up the soundstage and improve clarity and let you play louder without it feeling louder.
post #225 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Bass traps are really great, but really they improve the quality of the bass, not the frequency response. It does help frequency response a bit, but not down really low, and you need to have a lot of them.

What bass traps will do, however, is improve the quality of the bass by reducing ringing and boominess. It makes the bass sound cleaner and clearer, letting you hear more of the bass and less of what the room adds to the bass as the sound waves bounce around. You hear what the bass sounds like, what the subwoofer sounds like.

Very important investment. You can get your own absorption material (like Owens Corning 703) and make your own panels or "wedges," and fill up your corners as much as you can. You want thick absorption in the corners for bass. You can also add thinner panels to the side walls, like at the first reflection points, to improve the sound of the rest of the frequencies, so you hear the sound of the speakers and not the room. This will open up the soundstage and improve clarity and let you play louder without it feeling louder.

Right now I live in a co-op so this is not ideal right now. The wife and I are buying a home soon at which time I was planning to build my own theater. In addition to adding the turbo this seems like a MUST have. The more I research this topic, the more I like it. Thanks.
post #226 of 6210
Greetings HSU Owners.

I am debating the purchase of an HSU VTF-2 MK 3.

The subwoofer I buy will need to work with some satellite speakers that I already own. They cannot produce well below 120 Hz.

All HSU subwoofers have a maximum crossover setting of 90 Hz.

I will need to use the LFE output from my receiver and set the crossover from the receiver at 120 Hz.

I assume that using the LFE input on the subwoofer will bypass the crossover?

Does anyone have any data or personal experience with the frequency response of this subwoofer from 90Hz - 120 HZ? What is the -3 dB point? -6 dB?

There is no frequency response data on the HSU website.

Thanks for any and all help?
post #227 of 6210
On the back of the sub, you can enable/disable the sub's built-in crossover. With your configuration, you'd set it to off and let it play whatever the receiver feeds it.

It should do very well in that frequency range. Try to put the sub near the speakers, up front somewhere, and see if it sounds best there. The bass should sound like it's coming from the speakers.
post #228 of 6210
I thought I would share with you guys what my frequency response went from and to from my previous sub, to my current dual HO's. The first graph is of my old sub, the next is of my dual HO's without eq and the last are my dual HO's eq'd.

As you can see I gained quite a bit below 30Hz, not to mention the overall sound is fantastic. I still need to play with placement some more as I just found this weekend that I have a dip at 40Hz with one sub playing, but it gets corrected when they are both playing. I am going to see if I can get rid of the dip at 40Hz for the first sub so that maybe I can increase midbass overall with both playing. What do you guys think?
LL
LL
LL
post #229 of 6210
My new VTF3.3 fills in nicely. I run twin pairs of 901's for front and surround, on separate Denons. The RS meter showed the 901s weakening near 30Hz, but going lower than I expected. The VTF3.3 as expected, went well subsonic (below 20Hz). The Bose twins blow out the full audible range incredibly well, as loud as you can stand it with no null spots or distortion, but now w/ the 3.3, from 20Hz on down, the rattling house and my gut tells me (and my neighbors) sound waves are happening. That's a good thing right? It only needs 1/3 volume, -2dB preout, so I'm wondering why a Turbo would be needed (except, just, to, have it . Do I want to complete hearing damage once and for all? Anyway, this product is everything I expected. Yeah Dr. Hsu!

By the way, the 901s did well beyond 15000Hz - drove my neighbor's cocker spaniel insane. Way better than any dog whistle.
post #230 of 6210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareamtnbiker View Post

My new VTF3.3 fills in nicely. I run twin pairs of 901's for front and surround, on separate Denons. The RS meter showed the 901s weakening near 30Hz, but going lower than I expected. The VTF3.3 as expected, went well subsonic (below 20Hz). The Bose twins blow out the full audible range incredibly well, as loud as you can stand it with no null spots or distortion, but now w/ the 3.3, from 20Hz on down, the rattling house and my gut tells me (and my neighbors) sound waves are happening. That's a good thing right? It only needs 1/3 volume, -2dB preout, so I'm wondering why a Turbo would be needed (except, just, to, have it . Do I want to complete hearing damage once and for all? Anyway, this product is everything I expected. Yeah Dr. Hsu!

By the way, the 901s did well beyond 15000Hz - drove my neighbor's cocker spaniel insane. Way better than any dog whistle.

Did you use the "B" word in my thread???? ::shudders::
post #231 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

Did you use the "B" word in my thread???? ::shudders::

Politically incorrect eh? I could tell you some stories my friend.....
post #232 of 6210
I just received my VTF3.3HO Turbo today. How far into the main ports should turbo ports go into the main ports. It feels almost as if the turbo's ports just rest against the main ports verses fitting snugly / firmly into the main ports. Am I doing something wrong?
post #233 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSEK View Post

I just received my VTF3.3HO Turbo today. How far into the main ports should turbo ports go into the main ports. It feels almost as if the turbo's ports just rest against the main ports verses fitting snugly / firmly into the main ports. Am I doing something wrong?

Just pull up the turbo towards you until the back is as close to being flush with the back of the subwoofer as possible. Keep pulling and adjusting the turbos into they're well in place. The weight of the turbo should give it a snug fit and just make sure there aren't any air holes.
I wasn't sure how snug it was until I tried to remove the turbo, as the rubber seals fit pretty well.
post #234 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSEK View Post

I just received my VTF3.3HO Turbo today. How far into the main ports should turbo ports go into the main ports. It feels almost as if the turbo's ports just rest against the main ports verses fitting snugly / firmly into the main ports. Am I doing something wrong?

I had the same feeling with my HO+Turbo. I posted the question on the HSU forums and it seems that I expected it to be snugger (if that's even a word) then it is.


Bottom line is that it works fine and I feel no air coming from the connection.

Splotto
post #235 of 6210
Hey Guys,
I searched and couldn't find anything on craigsub so......
I have my subwoofer choices narrowed down to these two. They are both about the same size and with the recent sale at Outlaw, the same price. I really like Hsu subwoofers but the increased power of the outlaw has me wavering, especially considering it was also designed by Dr Hsu. Any suggestions either way?
post #236 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt View Post

Hsu VTF-2 MK 3 or outlaw LFM-1 Plus

Other than cosmetics, there's virtually no difference. The LFM-1 Plus is essentially the same as Hsu's now discontinued VTF-3 MK 2, which Hsu says was effectively replaced by the new VTF-2 MK 3. The extra wattage will get you ~1dB more output, hardly enough to be very concerned about.

They are both great values. Get the one that gives you a better gut feeling and enjoy.
post #237 of 6210
Thanks for the info. I guess I was wondering if the 2.3 used a different driver or was somehow technically upgraded from the outlaw subwoofer.
post #238 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt View Post

Thanks for the info. I guess I was wondering if they the 2.3 used different drivers or was somehow technically upgraded from the outlaw subwoofer.

Not likely. I'd guess that Hsu did a couple of things to cut production costs on their new line, although the only obvious one is the slightly lower powered amp. They state that the 2.3 matches the 3.2's performance, and there seems to be no reason not to believe them.
post #239 of 6210
I noticed the port holes on the Hsu are on the back of the sub while the outlaw has them on the bottom next to the woofer. Any body know how that affects the sound?
post #240 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt View Post

I noticed the port holes on the Hsu are on the back of the sub while the outlaw has them on the bottom next to the woofer. Any body know how that affects the sound?

It doesn't affect the sound, assuming the Hsu is at least 3 inches from a wall as intended, but it makes the Outlaw easier to place as it can be closer, if desired. (To my mind, it is one of the cosmetic differences.)

Additional input: The Outlaw's fraternal twin, the Hsu 3.2 was much loved and many were still willing to pay a premium for it during the closeout period when both it and the newer 2.3 were available.

All the Outlaw subs had a twin at Hsu. Until Hsu introduced their new line, they sold for the same price. Hsu's new pricing may have influenced Outlaw to have their sale. (Pure speculation on my part.)

My personal preference right now would be the Outlaw, because 1) I like the cosmetics better (including the down firing port), 2) you get 100 watts "extra" for free (not that it really matters much, but it "feels" better ), and 3) I can't resist a "sale."

But I wouldn't be one bit disappointed if I had to "settle" for a Hsu 3.2.

Edited to mention that I went through a similar dilemma a while back when I wanted a small sub for my bedroom. Finalists then were the Hsu SMS-1 and its Outlaw twin, the LFM-2. I preferred the Outlaw's cosmetics, but went with the Hsu because it was on sale for $50 less and Outlaw wouldn't match the price. The Hsu has been great and I've not had a moment's regret.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › ***Official HSU owners/support thread!***