or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › ***Official HSU owners/support thread!***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 176

post #5251 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Oh ok thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated.
Got worried after reading an audioholics review on their website
Quote on their website " My only reservation with the product is the amplifier reliability. Without a heatsink, the long term life of this may be a question. Still, with a two year warranty, that gives you plenty of time to pound it and know if if burns up, Hsu Research will honor your warranty. That said, if you expect high outputs and intend to drive the sub like a drunken college student at a frat house party, it might be better for your neighbors if your amp does blow the fuse. "

Needless to say, we do not agree with what that reviewer said. We know what we are doing. If we have a class AB amp with a regular power supply, yes, no heat sink will be of concern.
post #5252 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

Volume is way too high - almost 12 o'clock! Also, crossover should be set to 'out'. EQ should be set to EQ2 (down). Open both ports (you did not take a photo of the ports). Follow the instructions above and see if it's better.

Noob question.. why is almost 12 o clock way too high? I apologize for my ignorance, but why does the knob go all the way if almost halfway up is too high? Mine is set to between 10 and 11 o clock depending on what is playing.. I don't want to do any damage!
post #5253 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post

Noob question.. why is almost 12 o clock way too high? I apologize for my ignorance, but why does the knob go all the way if almost halfway up is too high? Mine is set to between 10 and 11 o clock depending on what is playing.. I don't want to do any damage!

Depends on the sub out level as well. We built a lot of gain into the amp so folks with two channel stereo and efficient speakers (Klipschorns, for example, 104 dB/W) will not have trouble matching. If your main speakers are very efficient, and the sub out level on your receiver is not high, you are fine. Also, if you have the sub set to two ports open, EQ2, Q 0.3, the sub can handle higher levels safely.
post #5254 of 6214
Just watched Iron Man, for the first time, and my house is still shaking. My VTF-15H never skipped a beat. Had it set at EQ2, Q2 and two ports open. WOW this sub is amazing. I recommend it to any anyone that is thinking about buying one. I have not heard any of the other ID subs but I feel as though I have made the right choice. Wife wants to order another in a couple of weeks.
post #5255 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe416 View Post

Just watched Iron Man, for the first time, and my house is still shaking. My VTF-15H never skipped a beat. Had it set at EQ2, Q2 and two ports open. WOW this sub is amazing. I recommend it to any anyone that is thinking about buying one. I have not heard any of the other ID subs but I feel as though I have made the right choice. Wife wants to order another in a couple of weeks.

Cool!
post #5256 of 6214
I have 2 Hsu subs, a VTF-3R, and a first gen VTF-3. Both have the switch for auto<->off
with no option for "always on". I was having the problem of the subs not kicking in at lower volumes. I did what I thought to be the logical thing, and turned the volume of the sub down, while increasing the signal from the receiver.

Is there a setting on the sub that's "too low" and the subwoofer's performance is compromised in some way? I have it set at about 25% now, and it has corrected most issues. I guess I'm wondering how low can I go.
post #5257 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I have 2 Hsu subs, a VTF-3R, and a first gen VTF-3. Both have the switch for auto<->off
with no option for "always on". I was having the problem of the subs not kicking in at lower volumes. I did what I thought to be the logical thing, and turned the volume of the sub down, while increasing the signal from the receiver.

Is there a setting on the sub that's "too low" and the subwoofer's performance is compromised in some way? I have it set at about 25% now, and it has corrected most issues. I guess I'm wondering how low can I go.

There is no limit as far as the sub goes. It's more a matter of whether your source (I assume a sub out) will start clipping if it's level is raised too high.
post #5258 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post


Volume is way too high - almost 12 o'clock! Also, crossover should be set to 'out'. EQ should be set to EQ2 (down). Open both ports (you did not take a photo of the ports). Follow the instructions above and see if it's better.

First off thank u for all of the help. It is greatly apreciated

I did what u said. Turned the volume down to about 11 o'clock turned eq and crossover like u said. Both ports were already open. No more popping. But there is not nearly as much bass now. I guess I was pushing the sub too hard. If I want more bass I better add another sub.
post #5259 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post

First off thank u for all of the help. It is greatly apreciated

I did what u said. Turned the volume down to about 11 o'clock turned eq and crossover like u said. Both ports were already open. No more popping. But there is not nearly as much bass now. I guess I was pushing the sub too hard. If I want more bass I better add another sub.

No wonder it was popping! Your installer should be responsible for any damage to the sub. It is stated clearly in the manual that you should NEVER operate the sub with both ports open and EQ1.

Did you re-run Audyssey auto calibration? Remember to set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7 for the Audyssey calibration. After calibration, set to two port open, EQ2, Q=0.3. Bass level should be correct after Audyssey recalibration.

A VTF-15H would be more appropriate for that space. Another option for you is to add another VTF-3 MK4. You can put the second one on the other end of that row of seats. If it's not practical to put it there, you can put it where you marked 'table' for the row behind you.
post #5260 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post


No wonder it was popping! Your installer should be responsible for any damage to the sub. It is stated clearly in the manual that you should NEVER operate the sub with both ports open and EQ1.

Did you re-run Audyssey auto calibration? Remember to set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7 for the Audyssey calibration. After calibration, set to two port open, EQ2, Q=0.3. Bass level should be correct after Audyssey recalibration.

A VTF-15H would be more appropriate for that space. Another option for you is to add another VTF-3 MK4. You can put the second one on the other end of that row of seats. If it's not practical to put it there, you can put it where you marked 'table' for the row behind you.

I was just watching Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and the sub popped again a few times. I turned the volume down to about the 10 o'clock position and it stopped popping. I have never ran the Audessey but I will try to figure it out tomorrow. Thanks again for all f your help.
post #5261 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

Depends on the sub out level as well. We built a lot of gain into the amp so folks with two channel stereo and efficient speakers (Klipschorns, for example, 104 dB/W) will not have trouble matching. If your main speakers are very efficient, and the sub out level on your receiver is not high, you are fine. Also, if you have the sub set to two ports open, EQ2, Q 0.3, the sub can handle higher levels safely.

What about with both ports open and turbo mounted on a VTF3.3?
post #5262 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post

I was just watching Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and the sub popped again a few times. I turned the volume down to about the 10 o'clock position and it stopped popping. I have never ran the Audessey but I will try to figure it out tomorrow. Thanks again for all f your help.

The woofer may have been damaged by two ports open, EQ1, and 12 o'clock volume. Anyway, try re-running Audyssey tomorrow and see what happens.
post #5263 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post


The woofer may have been damaged by two ports open, EQ1, and 12 o'clock volume. Anyway, try re-running Audyssey tomorrow and see what happens.

Ok I will try to do the Audyssey today. After that where about should the volume be set?
post #5264 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post

Ok I will try to do the Audyssey today. After that where about should the volume be set?

Remember, set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7, volume 9 o'clock, phase 0, crossover out. Run Audyssey auto calibration with mike at your listening position. After calibration, check receiver's crossover frequency and sub out level. If crossover is not 80 Hz, set them manually to 80 Hz. If sub out level is not between +3 and -3, adjust the subwoofer's volume control and re-run. e.g., if sub out is at -10, you adjust the subwoofer's volume control down a bit. If it's at +10, turn up the subwoofer's volume to 10 o'clock and re-calibrate.

Once the crossover is at 80 Hz and sub out level on receiver is between +3 and -3, set the subwoofer to two ports open, EQ2, Q=0.3. The subwoofer should be at the correct level (accurate bass - if a movie sounds bass shy, it's because the recording has not much bass). You should not need to do anymore volume adjustments on the subwoofer.

If you want to adjust for more output, do it with the receiver's sub out level control. that way, you can easily set it back to the accurate position. Just remember where Audyssey set it to.

How high did you usually set the volume on the receiver when watching your movies - like Avatar, Ghost Protocol? Which scene on the Ghost Protocol did you get popping?
post #5265 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post

What about with both ports open and turbo mounted on a VTF3.3?

Both ports open with turbo is the same as the one port open mode - 16 Hz tuning. It does require more woofer excursion within the operating range of the sub (16 Hz and up), but should be OK for the woofer. It's the stuff below 16 Hz at too high a level that can damage the woofer.
post #5266 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

Remember, set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7, volume 9 o'clock, phase 0, crossover out. Run Audyssey auto calibration with mike at your listening position. After calibration, check receiver's crossover frequency and sub out level. If crossover is not 80 Hz, set them manually to 80 Hz. If sub out level is not between +3 and -3, adjust the subwoofer's volume control and re-run. e.g., if sub out is at -10, you adjust the subwoofer's volume control down a bit. If it's at +10, turn up the subwoofer's volume to 10 o'clock and re-calibrate.

Once the crossover is at 80 Hz and sub out level on receiver is between +3 and -3, set the subwoofer to two ports open, EQ2, Q=0.3. The subwoofer should be at the correct level (accurate bass - if a movie sounds bass shy, it's because the recording has not much bass). You should not need to do anymore volume adjustments on the subwoofer.

If you want to adjust for more output, do it with the receiver's sub out level control. that way, you can easily set it back to the accurate position. Just remember where Audyssey set it to.

How high did you usually set the volume on the receiver when watching your movies - like Avatar, Ghost Protocol? Which scene on the Ghost Protocol did you get popping?

I had it on 76 for the volume..... I am not sure what scenes it popped on....
post #5267 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

Remember, set the sub to one port open, EQ1, Q=0.7, volume 9 o'clock, phase 0, crossover out. Run Audyssey auto calibration with mike at your listening position. After calibration, check receiver's crossover frequency and sub out level. If crossover is not 80 Hz, set them manually to 80 Hz. If sub out level is not between +3 and -3, adjust the subwoofer's volume control and re-run. e.g., if sub out is at -10, you adjust the subwoofer's volume control down a bit. If it's at +10, turn up the subwoofer's volume to 10 o'clock and re-calibrate.

Once the crossover is at 80 Hz and sub out level on receiver is between +3 and -3, set the subwoofer to two ports open, EQ2, Q=0.3. The subwoofer should be at the correct level (accurate bass - if a movie sounds bass shy, it's because the recording has not much bass). You should not need to do anymore volume adjustments on the subwoofer.

If you want to adjust for more output, do it with the receiver's sub out level control. that way, you can easily set it back to the accurate position. Just remember where Audyssey set it to.

How high did you usually set the volume on the receiver when watching your movies - like Avatar, Ghost Protocol? Which scene on the Ghost Protocol did you get popping?

When you say "set the sub to one port open".... Do you mean to close it with the foam stopper provided? Sorry if that is a dumb question but I want to be sure. Thank You.
post #5268 of 6214
^^^^ Yes
post #5269 of 6214
Is there no Canadian dealer for HSU anymore?

What a shame.
post #5270 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Is there no Canadian dealer for HSU anymore?

What a shame.

Nope and I know! Want the VTF-15H's so bad!!
post #5271 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Nope and I know! Want the VTF-15H's so bad!!

have you tried getting a quote for shipping? Just curious as to how bad it was. I noticed they use FedEx - which is horrible for duties from my experience. As bad as UPS.

USPS is the way to go.

I got my last HSU fom a Canadian retailer. Too bad they aren't around now.
post #5272 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post


have you tried getting a quote for shipping? Just curious as to how bad it was. I noticed they use FedEx - which is horrible for duties from my experience. As bad as UPS.

USPS is the way to go.

I got my last HSU fom a Canadian retailer. Too bad they aren't around now.

Yeah the quote for 1 VTF-15H shipped to me in Alberta was just shy of $300!! Total cost was going to be around $1350! But could be more if there is additional charges and duties is more!
post #5273 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Yeah the quote for 1 VTF-15H shipped to me in Alberta was just shy of $300!! Total cost was going to be around $1350! But could be more if there is additional charges and duties is more!

ouch. That rules that out.
post #5274 of 6214
Do the HSU's ever go on sale. Specificallhy the VTF-3 MK4? I am not usre how that model has been out.
I have spent some time on here and have been helped by some of the good folk here
My HT area is just under 10,000^3 and I am now thinking about two of the VTF-3 MK4's or a VTF-15H. I can more easily afford the one 15" vs the two 12"s.

Thanks
post #5275 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrtrees View Post

Do the HSU's ever go on sale. Specificallhy the VTF-3 MK4? I am not usre how that model has been out.
I have spent some time on here and have been helped by some of the good folk here
My HT area is just under 10,000^3 and I am now thinking about two of the VTF-3 MK4's or a VTF-15H. I can more easily afford the one 15" vs the two 12"s.

Thanks

Try two 15H's lol, that's a lot of space.
post #5276 of 6214
I certainly would if I could afford it.
post #5277 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

have you tried getting a quote for shipping? Just curious as to how bad it was. I noticed they use FedEx - which is horrible for duties from my experience. As bad as UPS.

USPS is the way to go.

I got my last HSU fom a Canadian retailer. Too bad they aren't around now.

Unfortunately USPS do not handle large packages like the VTF-15H or VTF-3 MK4. May be worthwhile to have it ship to someone on this side of the border and drive over and pick it up.
post #5278 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrtrees View Post

Do the HSU's ever go on sale. Specifically the VTF-3 MK4? I am not sure how that model has been out.
I have spent some time on here and have been helped by some of the good folk here
My HT area is just under 10,000^3 and I am now thinking about two of the VTF-3 MK4's or a VTF-15H. I can more easily afford the one 15" vs the two 12"s.

Thanks

Please post your room layout, including adjoining rooms if linked via permanently open doorways. If the room layout is right, and you have the sub close to you, you might be able to get away with one 15H.
post #5279 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrtrees View Post

Do the HSU's ever go on sale. Specificallhy the VTF-3 MK4? I am not usre how that model has been out.
I have spent some time on here and have been helped by some of the good folk here
My HT area is just under 10,000^3 and I am now thinking about two of the VTF-3 MK4's or a VTF-15H. I can more easily afford the one 15" vs the two 12"s.

Thanks

The VTF3 is on sale right now, regularly it is $699. That is a big space though, no matter what sub you get, placement will be crucial in getting some decent bass on your listening position.
post #5280 of 6214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

Unfortunately USPS do not handle large packages like the VTF-15H or VTF-3 MK4. May be worthwhile to have it ship to someone on this side of the border and drive over and pick it up.

If you Canucks don't mind driving to the Twin Cities (st.paul), I would be happy to store them at my house for nominal storage fee. You would have to arrange a Saturday Delivery though as I am never home on weekdays when the UPS driver arrives. While you are in town I could even demo my VTF-2 MK3 for ya.

PM me if you want to work something out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › ***Official HSU owners/support thread!***