or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › ***Official HSU owners/support thread!***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***Official HSU owners/support thread!*** - Page 196

post #5851 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

dr hsu, if I go with the VTF-1 MK2 and position it in the upper left corner, either next to the dresser or farther to the left if I get rid of the AV rack, what direction should the ports face? How far from the top wall should the sub be?

I will have the ports fire into the TV wall. Leave 3 - 4" spacing between the ports and the wall. Just need 1" spacing to the side wall.
post #5852 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostwarriorram View Post

Thanks for the quick response.
Appreciate your insight. I have the PS3 inside the media center. 15H will be on top of auralex gramma next to media center on the floor.

You are fine. No worries.
post #5853 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1971 View Post

When I built my theatre I had wired the sub connections in to the sides midway between the front and back. I know understand that this is not a good place to put subs, so I squeezed them in the front on either side of my mains. The only other option is going to be behind my seating in the back corners.
I would certainly go by Dr Hsu recommendations for your room. BTW very nice set up. Those VTF-3's do rock !!biggrin.gif I have two as well and very happy with them. I have mine placed in the front right and left corners. I was going to place them on the side walls midway, but I have a love seat on one side and a small bar to the right so It would be hard to put mid wall.
Here's more info on placement that is suggested by others about the mid wall being a great spot for a rectangular room.
Figure 1a. Two Sub Midwall Placement
If you are running two subs, the ideal locations for them in a rectangular room are on opposing vertical or horizontal midwalls. Two subs configured in such a method work nearly as good as four subs configured via our 4 Corner Placement recommendation. You will however need to stack two subs for each location to achieve the same output as the 4 Corner Placement unless you chose two subs with twice the output capability of the four subs you were planning on using.
Although it's been incorrectly touted as ideal to place four subs at each mid-wall location (since it offers consistent frequency response for each seat); this is NOT recommended because it acoustically less efficient than just employing a single subwoofer! Thus the maximum available output level of four identical subwoofers placed mid-wall will be LESS than one subwoofer located in the front corner. In our opinion, this is a waste of power and money. We recommend avoiding this option for four subs unless you are stacking them for two locations
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/multiple-subwoofer-setup-calibration-1/midsubs.jpg/image

I may just try them there as well, except they would have to sit with the ports firing forward and aft, as they ar too deep to sit with port filing to the walls. Another concern is that in that position my 3 year old who loves adjusting knobs will have easy access to the back of the subs.

So far they sound great. And boy do they shake the room. smile.gif
post #5854 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1971 View Post

I may just try them there as well, except they would have to sit with the ports firing forward and aft, as they ar too deep to sit with port filing to the walls. Another concern is that in that position my 3 year old who loves adjusting knobs will have easy access to the back of the subs.
So far they sound great. And boy do they shake the room. smile.gif

Well if I could I would try them there , but in my case I can't and I'm very happy with corner placement in my room set up. Like I said Dr Hsu knows his stuff about these subs and placement. Yep make sure there's some distance for the rear ports. It may be something like 3" or so from a wall ?
If you do try them on the side walls please post up on your thoughts and make sure you use a movie/music with deep bass to compare on the two different options on placement.
I'm really wanting to get 2-more of these subs by year end as they are just that good. biggrin.gif
Good Luck.
post #5855 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post

Well if I could I would try them there , but in my case I can't and I'm very happy with corner placement in my room set up. Like I said Dr Hsu knows his stuff about these subs and placement. Yep make sure there's some distance for the rear ports. It may be something like 3" or so from a wall ?
If you do try them on the side walls please post up on your thoughts and make sure you use a movie/music with deep bass to compare on the two different options on placement.
I'm really wanting to get 2-more of these subs by year end as they are just that good. biggrin.gif
Good Luck.
They are 5-6" away from the back wall. But the right sub is only 1.5" from the wall on the right side, so the driver fires into the wall.

If I move them I will report my findings.
post #5856 of 6210
I might have to give EQ1 1 port open a try. Ive been on EQ2 2 ports open for awhile, but it seems more people run 1 port plugged on the VTF15. Kinda opposite on the VTF2 I had, but the VTF15 has more output so maybe running it in 16hz mode is a better move smile.gif
post #5857 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I might have to give EQ1 1 port open a try. Ive been on EQ2 2 ports open for awhile, but it seems more people run 1 port plugged on the VTF15. Kinda opposite on the VTF2 I had, but the VTF15 has more output so maybe running it in 16hz mode is a better move smile.gif

I started out in max output mode also with both ports open but I ended up going into deep extension mode once and ended up keeping the sub that way. I don't necessarily need the sub to go very loud but I do need to feel it when the time comes.
post #5858 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I might have to give EQ1 1 port open a try. Ive been on EQ2 2 ports open for awhile, but it seems more people run 1 port plugged on the VTF15. Kinda opposite on the VTF2 I had, but the VTF15 has more output so maybe running it in 16hz mode is a better move smile.gif

Feel free to try out the different modes. That is why they are there. biggrin.gif
post #5859 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

I will have the ports fire into the TV wall. Leave 3 - 4" spacing between the ports and the wall. Just need 1" spacing to the side wall.

Does that go for the VTF-2 MK4 also? Right now, the back of the sub is about 6" from the wall, and about 5" to the side wall. Would that 2-3" closer give me deeper bass?
post #5860 of 6210
I own the VTF3 MK4 and have it with 2 ports open EQ2, Q3. Is this the best set up for movies?
Edited by asere - 1/16/13 at 6:54am
post #5861 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

I own the VTF3 MK4 and have it with 2 ports open EQ2, Q3. Is this the best set up for movies?

That should work out best for most movies.
post #5862 of 6210
Posted in 15H forum yesterday figured here too...sub came yesterday! Hello deep bass, I love you!


post #5863 of 6210
^^Is that a dedicated room?
post #5864 of 6210
newbie type question here...gotta learn somewhere right? I have vtf-15h and definitive technology super towers that have built in 10 inch powered subs. I have towers set at 80hz. I was playing a hip hop type beat that had three bass lines one after another...1, pause, 2, pause, 3 with the last (3rd) being the lowest bass. It seemed the first two bass lines were weak then the third was strong with the 15h. I know it's not the song because I have had it in my truck with an 1000 watt rms Boston spy 555 subwoofer and all three were very pronounced. Comments?
post #5865 of 6210
Quote:
^^Is that a dedicated room?

Well it's the tv room. music/movies...I'm not sure what classifies a room as dedicated. Picked up new tv stand today which i'll put up tomm, clean up/ zip tie wires and all that jazz.
post #5866 of 6210
As in having only one use......media consumption.
post #5867 of 6210
Quote:
As in having only one use......media consumption.

Yes then!
post #5868 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Yes then!

In that case, let's get some paint on the walls and a projector so you can enjoy the sound in style..biggrin.gif
post #5869 of 6210
Quote:
In that case, let's get some paint on the walls and a projector so you can enjoy the sound in style..

haha, I'm only a few months in on learning about the wide world of media entertainment. Sound has been the focus thus far, although the st50 Panasonic does okay. I'm looking at Marantz sr7005 or 6007 for receiver upgrade with the marantz blue ray/cd player. Probably break for awhile then on spending. Ive read nothing on projectors so far. I assume darker rooms for projectors as in the reference to paint?
post #5870 of 6210
Yes, you want the least amount of light reflection as possible. Take your time. Ohhhhhh, Marantz. Big time.
Edited by Prime316 - 1/19/13 at 1:28am
post #5871 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

newbie type question here...gotta learn somewhere right? I have vtf-15h and definitive technology super towers that have built in 10 inch powered subs. I have towers set at 80hz. I was playing a hip hop type beat that had three bass lines one after another...1, pause, 2, pause, 3 with the last (3rd) being the lowest bass. It seemed the first two bass lines were weak then the third was strong with the 15h. I know it's not the song because I have had it in my truck with an 1000 watt rms Boston spy 555 subwoofer and all three were very pronounced. Comments?

In room bass response is a lot less even compared to the car environment. Do you use any room correction? What settings are you using on the 15H? Nice room!
post #5872 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

Does that go for the VTF-2 MK4 also? Right now, the back of the sub is about 6" from the wall, and about 5" to the side wall. Would that 2-3" closer give me deeper bass?

Dr hsu, can I get your input on this please?
post #5873 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

Dr hsu, can I get your input on this please?

Apologies. Did not see your post. For the VTF-2 MK4, you just need 3 - 4" for the ports, and 1" spacing for the other sides. For the VTF-3 MK4, you need 2" for the woofer. No effect on the bass extension.
post #5874 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hsu View Post

Apologies. Did not see your post. For the VTF-2 MK4, you just need 3 - 4" for the ports, and 1" spacing for the other sides. For the VTF-3 MK4, you need 2" for the woofer. No effect on the bass extension.

So, are you saying that if you put the sub a couple feet from the wall, it will sound the same as if it were 4" from the wall?
post #5875 of 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post

So, are you saying that if you put the sub a couple feet from the wall, it will sound the same as if it were 4" from the wall?

I highly doubt that, low frequency output changes pretty drastically depending on the subwoofer location and room acoustics, I think those are the minimum distances so the subwoofer can function without any issues that can be caused by not giving it enough breathing room? I'm not an expert though so I'd like to hear Dr Hsu's input on it as well.
post #5876 of 6210
Apologies. I did not read it carefully. I was thinking of 3 -4 " versus 6" in the quote you asked me to answer. That would not make any significant difference. When you go to a few feet versus 3-4", it can be quite different, but the difference is not so much the low bass, but the mid bass.
post #5877 of 6210
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84

newbie type question here...gotta learn somewhere right? I have vtf-15h and definitive technology super towers that have built in 10 inch powered subs. I have towers set at 80hz. I was playing a hip hop type beat that had three bass lines one after another...1, pause, 2, pause, 3 with the last (3rd) being the lowest bass. It seemed the first two bass lines were weak then the third was strong with the 15h. I know it's not the song because I have had it in my truck with an 1000 watt rms Boston spy 555 subwoofer and all three were very pronounced. Comments?

In room bass response is a lot less even compared to the car environment. Do you use any room correction? What settings are you using on the 15H? Nice room!

Room correction? Sorry I'm new with all the terminology. Settings to start are 2 ports open, eq2, q setting on 3. -4db on receiver. volume knob just a hair above 9 o'clock.
post #5878 of 6210
Room correction - e.g. Audyssey auto room calibration. Which receiver do you use? If you want more mid bass punch, is it practical to place the sub close to your listening position?
post #5879 of 6210
Hey Doc,

Got a small mystery for you:


I have dual 15" subs in my home theater and thought they sounded a little over the top on heavy bass scenes. I checked where Audyssey set them last and the value was -1.5. That's well within acceptable range.

I then turned the subs' gains down a notch and ran Audyssey again and this time I got -12. mind you, I turned them down and not up. I had to turn the sub's down to almost 0 to get a reading of -3 again when it had set the sub put to -1.5 at about 9 o'clock before.

Anyone have any ideas why this would happen? I moved nothing in the room but a couple pillows on a couch.
post #5880 of 6210
How can I tell if there is a null? I am not saying I have one but what can I do to find out? Just learning here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › ***Official HSU owners/support thread!***