Hey, thanks for the thread guys. I've been lurking around the plasma forums for a long time and decided to put off that purchase for a while. So I switched gears to looking for a surround sound system, and the complexity of everything just seemed overwhelming. I was looking at going for either the Onkyo S6100 or S9100THX, just for the convenience and because I was afraid of the speakers not matching. But after listening to people here, I decided to try to put together a system of my own. This is what I've come up with:
My budget started around $1000 for a complete audio system, but if I don't buy all the components at once it will be a little more flexible. I'm a college student living in a small apartment complex (main room 15' x 12').
The system would be used for watching TV, music, HD DVD's, Blueray's, and gaming. Equipment we own: Vizio LCD VX32L, PS3, Xbox 360 (component version), and a Nintendo-64.Receiver
Athena - LS-100 Bookshelf Speakers
Athena - LS-500 Tower SpeakerCenter
LS-C100 Center Channel SpeakerSub
Velodyne VRP1200 Powered Subwoofer
ED A2-300 sub
I'll be getting the TX-SR606, and two LS-500's for the front speakers first. Additionally, I got a free subwoofer from a friend. I think it's from a Samsung HTIB. The model no is PS-WTQ85, and I couldn't really find any info on it. Probably not the best sub in the world, but I will use that for a sub until I can afford one of the above.Questions
1. Is it a waste of money to put LS-500 tower speakers as two rears as opposed to the bookshelf speakers (just assuming rears are not as important)?
2. If I don't buy all the speakers at once, should I wait to buy the center until I buy the surrounds? Don't know if a 3.1 system is preferable to a 2.1, or if the receiver settings allow me to even configure for an output of 3.1.
3. When I eventually purchase a sub, would running the new subwoofer and the Samsung sound better than running only the new one? Do I need special adapters to run multiple subwoofers?
4. Are all speaker wires (say 14 gauge) equivalent across brands for the most part? Will I need banana plugs or are they suggested?
5. For the money I'm spending, am I getting a good system?
Thanks for any replies, and sorry for the ridiculously long post.