or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Vista Cable Card Multiroom On Steroids.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vista Cable Card Multiroom On Steroids.

post #1 of 168
Thread Starter 
Vista Media Center with Dual Cable Cards presents the unique opportunity to finally have a HD CENTRIC Advanced Media Hub that feeds 4 Home Theater zones around the house in 1080p. Very soon no xbox 360 will be required for remote playback.

Monster will be introducing a very interesting surge protector, network log/delogger/Version 2 media center extender with HDMI 1080p out capable of supporting a slew of media formats.



http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/m...pcs-extenders/

LIFE WARE


Vidabox will be shipping a 5,250 Gygabite Vista Media Center with a 12" lcd on it's facia, capable of playing HD DVD and Blue Ray.

Now that's 1,000 hd movies. I can live with that kind of capacity. Because right now one of my "biggest problems in life" is dealing with which movie I will need to erase to make space for what I want to record in my Dish Network pvr.

I have vowed not to allow for any of my future customers to have to endure such hardship.

Another good thing is that Dish Network will have a Vista Media Center Card next year.

So the purpose of this thread is discuss the alternatives in creating this Ultimate Home Media Ecosystem based on this 15-20 grand 5+ terabite Vista servers.
post #2 of 168
Quote:
So the purpose of this thread is discuss the alternatives in creating this Ultimate Home Media Ecosystem based on this 15-20 grand 5+ terabite Vista servers.

Why not save a pile of money and just run a home theater PC? You can run a raid 0 setup and have 5 TB easily.
post #3 of 168
Thread Starter 
It is a Home Theater PC but it must be Vista MCE with cable card with V2 extenders.

Isn't raid 5 necessary for long term reliability.

PLEASE LET'S LEAVE DO-IT-YOURSELFER HACKER PRICE POINTS OUT OF THE THREAD, notice it has not been posted in the HTPC forum to save the readers from that maverick type of mentality, that translates into the most unstable of platforms, these HTPC's are stable enough to have become Network Appliances.

We should be talking of supportable CE products capable of being installed profitably by custom installers. Like the Niveus, Vidabox, and S1. Otherwise it is not a practical product. It cannot be a do it yourselfer Linux box. Sorry.
post #4 of 168
Thread Starter 






post #5 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Vidabox will be shipping a 5,250 Gygabite Vista Media Center with a 12" lcd on it's facia, capable of playing HD DVD and Blue Ray.

Now that's 1,000 hd movies.

Isn't 5 TB a bit small for HD movies? Assuming they someday come out with managed copy for HD-DVD and BD-ROM (or AnyHD if they don't), movies will require between 25-40 GB for full quality. Split the difference and say 32 GB a pop... That is only 164 HD movies by my count.

Even if you are talking about recording HD movies via the CableCard, those are still 10GB a piece or so, giving you only 525 movies.

If you are talking about the ultimate HD movie server... I think 5 TB will be a good starting point but will quickly be consumed after DVDs, music, and PVR recordings are taken into account.
-Matt
post #6 of 168
Thread Starter 
The best way to control the SUPERHTPC could be on an AMX 8.4" wireless touchscreen: (from: AutonomicHome.com)



Sample screens:











post #7 of 168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjohnst View Post

Isn't 5 TB a bit small for HD movies? Assuming they someday come out with managed copy for HD-DVD and BD-ROM (or AnyHD if they don't), movies will require between 25-40 GB for full quality. Split the difference and say 32 GB a pop... That is only 164 HD movies by my count.

Even if you are talking about recording HD movies via the CableCard, those are still 10GB a piece or so, giving you only 525 movies.

If you are talking about the ultimate HD movie server... I think 5 TB will be a good starting point but will quickly be consumed after DVDs, music, and PVR recordings are taken into account.
-Matt


Good point Matt:

This is the largest number I have been able to get quoted from a Vista Vendor most will be selling with .8 to 3 TB.

Do you know of another solution with more storage?

Will Vista Permit a second server besides the main PC to hold the cable card content?

Something like this could be sweet although it will be louder than a cage full of parrots.




post #8 of 168
Hi

Peter, this is an idea whose time has come. I do not see however why it should be Vista. it does not matter what the underlying OS is what are important:
The User Interface
Reliability
Scalability
and of course performance.

I agree with you with the HTPCS. they are Techies contraption for the most part and expect the user to speak their language . We should get to the point where this an appliance, just like a fridge, performing a duty and in the most simple and efficient way possible, not a "computer", with all the nonsenses we have come to take for granted , especially from the MS Windows variety: balks, degradation of performance with time, constant upgrade, poorly designed user interface and software, unnatural commands and procedures (What, I have to go to "start" to STOP the computer???? ) the list is long and I will stop there

P.S One thing that people who have not seen it can not comprehend is the value of a system n interface such as KScape, simple, intuitive and robust, the damn thing simply works. it may not be for everyone, especially those with enough computer skills to build their own and not caring about an "intuitive" interface. Then again even those may, once a while, need something that just works
post #9 of 168
Thread Starter 
Hi Frantz:

Well I think that from a marketability standpoint the Vista system is robust enough, and for applications in the USA the dual cable card is a compelling selling point. Of course I am not an expert like you. But from what I have seen the multiroom component worked really well.



I just want to sell a box that will be stable and records HDTV off comcast and dishnetwork next year. Vista offers that solution.

If one is in the caribbean perhaps you can roll your own system using a moodified dish network vip 622 receiver feeding firewire to the HTPC with the r-5000 mod.

For you that is probably no problem at all. But to set that up in an end users home is very risky. don't you think?
post #10 of 168
Thread Starter 
I asked this questions about the Giant Raid server in the HTPC forum:

Will vista permit the storage of cable card recorded content into a separate raid array with super high capacity?

lymzy
"AFAIK, NAS should be no different than local/direct access storage. But the decryption and decoding could only happen in the original PC and the V2 vista MCE extender."

ToddD
" sure...slap something on that raid box that offers an iSCSI target....then use the built in iSCSI suport in Vista to add the raid drives as "local" storage."

That is great news.
post #11 of 168
One of the problems I see with this solution is that MS Media Center/XBox 360's can't stream DVD rips at full quality with menus. There is a hack to do it by transcoding on the fly into WMV but you have to strip the menus and you'll surely lose quality in the process. Media Center is also limited in other formats it supports, including AVI and XVID. I'm not sure about whether it will stream VC-1 or AVC (H.264).

I think anyone interested in a true whole-house movie/media server will be turned off by those limitations. The setup you are talking about sure sounds like the ultimate HD PVR, but that is where it ends. When it comes to adding legally purchased movies (both HD and DVD) into the mix, I think you'll find MCE limiting... unless there have been new developments with Vista MCE that I'm not aware of.
-Matt
post #12 of 168
Beware of HD copy protection restrictions before you buy one
post #13 of 168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Beware of HD copy protection restrictions before you buy one

No Problem with this Baby which fully loaded is priced to be in this forum:





Features
- 12.1" motorized TFT touch screen display
- 1920x1080 TFT resolution support
- One piece 5mm aluminium front & sides
- Hidden optical media bay, USB hub, audio & firewire
- Matched optical drive bezel
- Built-in remote receiver module
- Store up to 875 hours of HDTV (5.25TB of storage)!

Specifications
Front
- 12.1" TFT integrated touch screen
- (1) Optical drive bay for Blu-ray, HD DVD, or DVD±RW
- (1) CompactFlash, SD card readers
- (2) USB Ports
- (1) 6-Pin firewire (IEEE-1394)
- System activity LED indicators

Rear
- (2) CableCARD slots for digital cable tuning
- DVI output
- (4) USB 2.0 ports
- (1) PS/2 keyboard input
- (1) PS/2 mouse input
- (2) 6-Pin firewire (IEEE-1394) port
- (1) TV-out port, S-Video, Composite, YPbPr
- (1) Parallel port
- (2) Dual 10/100/1000 ethernet ports
- (1) RS-232 serial port
- (1) SPDIF optical output port
- (1) SPDIF coaxial output port
- (4) Analog audio ports (up to 7.1) surround sound

* - Specifications subject to change on final system release

The estimated List Price $24,999 when it ships in April.

This includes the following upgrades:
- 5.25TB of storage-Blu-ray drive-
- dual CableCARD tuners-
- super high quality audio card
- 4GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM for multi-zone streaming
post #14 of 168
Thread Starter 
Move Over Niveus.....
post #15 of 168
But just because it will play a BD movie locally, doesn't mean it will stream it to other rooms. You would need some form of managed copy to do that. HD-DVD supposedly will support it but it is not implemented yet.

And again, DVD doesn't officially support any form of managed copy (all back-ups are illegal). I'm not sure what OS the above system is running but if it is MS Media Center, I doubt they are full quality (.IFOs or ISOs) and full menu. They could be ripped to WMV but that would make them no longer true back-ups. I highly doubt this crowd would stand for compressed copies! Again, I could be wrong and Vista *might* support full DVD rips but not that I'm aware of. As cozy as MS has gotten with the MPAA lately, I highly doubt it.

Now, they could be using a different OS that supports DVD libraries... If so, I'd like to know what it is.
-Matt
post #16 of 168
Thread Starter 
No but release 2 will at full 1080p. Speaking of Blue Ray and HD DVD. I don't really care about regular dvd, not wanting to sound unpleasant or anything but this is for those of us MOTIVATED strictly by recorded HD, and I know that is the application thats being shown (dvd). I care about HD content stored from cable card now and dish network next year.
post #17 of 168
I assume it runs 64-bit Vista, as that is the only OS with HDCP certification. 32-bit Vista does not have it, and no Linux has it. The Linux cowboys (of which I've been one) will have to rely on decrypting rippers.

Why is this relevant? Well, for a 64-bit Vista install to actually be HDCP certified, all drivers (including for SCSI devices, NAS, etc) need to be code signed by Microsoft, or the HD playback capability will be degraded.
post #18 of 168
Thread Starter 
Interesting. I'll make sure it is.
post #19 of 168
Cineramax - This is a great thread as I think the new Vista MCE platform is the best shot yet at having one source for all media content. Maybe someday there will be ISP providers with Petabyte arrays that will wirelessly stream all the HD Audio/Video/Game content we want but until then, or as long as people want to own their media, it looks like the Vista MCE has the best chance at convergence.

Already the MCE platform has replaced the photo album, CD player, DVD player, VCR, radio, and TV Settop box. So since this is in the $20,000+ forum, I'd like to dream about what should be next in the Vista MCE.

First, archival & distribution of premium HDTV content.

A. Need to get D* and E* integration and would really be nice to get Cablecard 2.0. As a bonus, would be nice to mix & match D*, E*, and cable.
B. Need to allow for more than 2 tuners
C. Would be nice to have a NAS option for recording. Content providers wouldn't like it, but what will they do with a MCE box that has 8 or 12 1TB drives?
D. Need to get media extenders that do 1080P

Second, archival & distribution of HD Movies (HD-DVD & Blu-ray)

A. Need to get managed copy figured out and then allow for distribution, not just playback on the main computer.
B. Need to allow for storage on a NAS, otherwise there isn't much point.
C. Although not as robust, I wonder if a changer would be a lower cost alternative and it would certainly avoid DRM issues.
D. Okay, so DVD's aren't HD, but until HD-DVD and Blu-ray are more prevalent, why isn't there a legal option for saving DVD's on MCE like there is with Kaleidescape? I did see a press release once that Niveas was working on a solution to allow streaming from their changers, but that is still not as robust as saving to the Hardrive.

Third, playback and potentially archival of HD Music

A. If computers will have HDMI cards and HDMI allows for DVD-A and SACD, why can't we getting playback for DVD-A and SACD on the computer. If there is enough DRM hardware in Vista to allow for cablecard, satellite, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray, it seems silly that DVD-A and SACD won't play.
B. In the same way that a single-disc Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive isn't the ultimate solution, why not allow for managed copy for DVD-A and SACD.
C. So if we can't get managed copy for DVD-A and SACD, we should at least have changers that will play them throught the computer. (there have been DVD-A and SACD changers from Kenwood & Sony for consumer electronics).
D. I know we'll never get recording of this, but at least allow for receiving XM, Sirius, and HD-Radio capabilities in MCE

Fourth, now I am really dreaming, playback and potential archival of video games.

I know PC's already play PC games, but since Sony makes MCE HTPC's and Microsoft has designed the MCE software, why can't MCE have an emulator for XBox 360 and PS3? Sure there are concerns about pirated copies of the emulator, but aren't they really losing money on the consoles anyway.

So why not have an emulator and then managed copy (or use of changers) so you never have to change out an Xbox/Xbox 360/PS1,2,3 video game? And since I am still dreaming, this should be streamed throughout the house to allow for play on extenders.

Remember, the goal is to access and fully use all media throughout the house without having 10 components in each room and physcially running the media all over the house.

Fifth, let's get full remote control support. By that I mean that each MCE and extender should have IR, Serial, and 12V outputs to automatically control the TV, projector, screen, receiver/pre-amp etc. That way, one simple MCE remote controls everything and allows for simultaneous multi-room control like Sonus. If done right, this may even negate the need for Creston/AMX systems in a lot of cases.

Sixth, if you can really accomplish all the above, then you wouldn't need 10 components for all different kinds of media. If that's the case, then you could probably eliminate the need for the receiver/pre-amp. I think they are working on Vista to allow for room correction/equalization, so what would the receiver/pre-amp add to the equation? Just get an amp to power things (and some MCE's have digital amps built-in).

Cineramax - Have I missed anything?
post #20 of 168
What are you guys all SMOKING!!!

I have a several HUNDRED HD Films which I have recorded myself stored on about 5TB worth of NAS systems and I stream them all over the house without an issue. Pricing is NO WHERE NEAR $24,000 for such a system. Hell, I think it would be hard to get it much above $5k -$7k - including the Media extenders.

Software usability is also extremely high as well as WAF.

BTW: I can also stream these over the internet to wherever I am (albeit at greatly reduced quality).
post #21 of 168
Thread Starter 
Keep in mind this is a suggested List Price in line with audio margins in ce.

Peter that is obviously not a Vista Media Center application. It does not have any kind of DRM. Right? What is your source cable box with firewire? R-5000?

Not something that can be sold as an appliance to an end user. This IS an APPLIANCE.

The computer case alone in the Magnum must be pretty expensive in of itself.

You must have the technical know how on how to install service and manage such a "Grey Market solution". I would clasify you as a hacker type for the purposes of this discussion, a wealthy hacker with a Theo K designed theater, but a hacker nonetheless.
post #22 of 168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester View Post

Cineramax - This is a great thread as I think the new Vista MCE platform is the best shot yet at having one source for all media content. Maybe someday there will be ISP providers with Petabyte arrays that will wirelessly stream all the HD Audio/Video/Game content we want but until then, or as long as people want to own their media, it looks like the Vista MCE has the best chance at convergence.

Already the MCE platform has replaced the photo album, CD player, DVD player, VCR, radio, and TV Settop box. So since this is in the $20,000+ forum, I'd like to dream about what should be next in the Vista MCE.

First, archival & distribution of premium HDTV content.

A. Need to get D* and E* integration and would really be nice to get Cablecard 2.0. As a bonus, would be nice to mix & match D*, E*, and cable.
B. Need to allow for more than 2 tuners
C. Would be nice to have a NAS option for recording. Content providers wouldn't like it, but what will they do with a MCE box that has 8 or 12 1TB drives?
D. Need to get media extenders that do 1080P

Second, archival & distribution of HD Movies (HD-DVD & Blu-ray)

A. Need to get managed copy figured out and then allow for distribution, not just playback on the main computer.
B. Need to allow for storage on a NAS, otherwise there isn't much point.
C. Although not as robust, I wonder if a changer would be a lower cost alternative and it would certainly avoid DRM issues.
D. Okay, so DVD's aren't HD, but until HD-DVD and Blu-ray are more prevalent, why isn't there a legal option for saving DVD's on MCE like there is with Kaleidescape? I did see a press release once that Niveas was working on a solution to allow streaming from their changers, but that is still not as robust as saving to the Hardrive.

Third, playback and potentially archival of HD Music

A. If computers will have HDMI cards and HDMI allows for DVD-A and SACD, why can't we getting playback for DVD-A and SACD on the computer. If there is enough DRM hardware in Vista to allow for cablecard, satellite, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray, it seems silly that DVD-A and SACD won't play.
B. In the same way that a single-disc Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive isn't the ultimate solution, why not allow for managed copy for DVD-A and SACD.
C. So if we can't get managed copy for DVD-A and SACD, we should at least have changers that will play them throught the computer. (there have been DVD-A and SACD changers from Kenwood & Sony for consumer electronics).
D. I know we'll never get recording of this, but at least allow for receiving XM, Sirius, and HD-Radio capabilities in MCE

Fourth, now I am really dreaming, playback and potential archival of video games.

I know PC's already play PC games, but since Sony makes MCE HTPC's and Microsoft has designed the MCE software, why can't MCE have an emulator for XBox 360 and PS3? Sure there are concerns about pirated copies of the emulator, but aren't they really losing money on the consoles anyway.

So why not have an emulator and then managed copy (or use of changers) so you never have to change out an Xbox/Xbox 360/PS1,2,3 video game? And since I am still dreaming, this should be streamed throughout the house to allow for play on extenders.

Remember, the goal is to access and fully use all media throughout the house without having 10 components in each room and physcially running the media all over the house.

Fifth, let's get full remote control support. By that I mean that each MCE and extender should have IR, Serial, and 12V outputs to automatically control the TV, projector, screen, receiver/pre-amp etc. That way, one simple MCE remote controls everything and allows for simultaneous multi-room control like Sonus. If done right, this may even negate the need for Creston/AMX systems in a lot of cases.

Sixth, if you can really accomplish all the above, then you wouldn't need 10 components for all different kinds of media. If that's the case, then you could probably eliminate the need for the receiver/pre-amp. I think they are working on Vista to allow for room correction/equalization, so what would the receiver/pre-amp add to the equation? Just get an amp to power things (and some MCE's have digital amps built-in).

Cineramax - Have I missed anything?

No Sipester , superb summary.

By the way . This V2 MCX is 1080p out hdmi.



Dish network will have a Vista solution next year, which I am very much looking forward to, but hope it does not conflict with the cable card limit of 2 cards. That way you could have 2 cable cards and a dish network card with dual record view.

DirectV has proven to be a huge enemy of quality High Definition Television, I intend to push for their exclusion from any such systems I promote in the future. I am sure a football fan will twist my arm but it will literally have to happen like that.
post #23 of 168
The solution I have put in is just as much an "out of the box" solution as any of these - in fact, maybe more so.

Yes, it is a Home Theater PC using Media Center.
Yes, I am using the R5000HD solution - which is set up in a more friendly way than even the Media Center - as I can add things via the internet very easily.
Streaming solutions are also internet enabled and very easy to use.

No, I do not have a CableCard solution, as they are not shipping yet - from anybody - despite what their literature may say. Also, when they ship, they will be HEAVILY DRMed, so do not expect full streaming support.

Also, doing installs now for customers. I would not call these "grey market" as that is not the correct term (Grey Market refers to a product sold outside of the sales region designated by the manufacturer/distributor). In fact these are "Custom Solutions" and are built with the needs of each customer in mind. Given this, they are MUCH more flexible than the solutions mentioned in this thread, as well as much more upgradable.

It is my concern with all of these solutions mentioned that they are:

1) Too Pricey
2) Too Limited
3) Not terribly expandable
4) Quickly outdated

Putting together the solutions I have, you get around all of these issues very easily and quickly.
post #24 of 168
[quote=PeterS]The solution I have put in is just as much an "out of the box" solution as any of these - in fact, maybe more so.

Yes, it is a Home Theater PC using Media Center.
Yes, I am using the R5000HD solution - which is set up in a more friendly way than even the Media Center - as I can add things via the internet very easily.
Streaming solutions are also internet enabled and very easy to use.

QUOTE]

Although I am a big fan of the R5000HD solution for it's capabilities, it seems like it still has a lot of bugs that take a lot more than a re-boot to fix. Maybe "gray market" isn't the correct term, but I don't think it is anything that D* or E* or any of the content providers would exactly approve of.

That said, have you been able to seemlessy intergrate the R5000HD solution within MCE so that there is no difference in how you view, record, or access live or recorded TV (compared with MCE's current support of OTA tuners and downrezzed cable/satellite feeds).

If so, that is pretty impressive. But if you still want to enjoy HD-DVD, Blu-ray, DVD-A, SACD, XBox, PS3, HD radio etc, then you still need a massive pile of components and a high-end receiver/preamp/switcher to deal with all of it. Plus, you would still need a great universal remote/control system to make it user friendly and you would still need to physically change out a disc every time you wanted to listen/watch/play a new disc. And, all of that media would only be accessible in one room.

I'm not saying my solution above is easy, I'm just throwing out ideas about what I'd like the ideal solution to be.
post #25 of 168
Thread Starter 
post #26 of 168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

The solution I have put in is just as much an "out of the box" solution as any of these - in fact, maybe more so.

Yes, it is a Home Theater PC using Media Center.
Yes, I am using the R5000HD solution - which is set up in a more friendly way than even the Media Center - as I can add things via the internet very easily.
Streaming solutions are also internet enabled and very easy to use.

No, I do not have a CableCard solution, as they are not shipping yet - from anybody - despite what their literature may say. Also, when they ship, they will be HEAVILY DRMed, so do not expect full streaming support.

Also, doing installs now for customers. I would not call these "grey market" as that is not the correct term (Grey Market refers to a product sold outside of the sales region designated by the manufacturer/distributor). In fact these are "Custom Solutions" and are built with the needs of each customer in mind. Given this, they are MUCH more flexible than the solutions mentioned in this thread, as well as much more upgradable.

It is my concern with all of these solutions mentioned that they are:

1) Too Pricey
2) Too Limited
3) Not terribly expandable
4) Quickly outdated

Putting together the solutions I have, you get around all of these issues very easily and quickly.

More power to you if it works well. Your HD list should need some updating as many titles in it have recently shown on Dish. Did you miss the James Bond Fest on Voom? Pity. Me too.

Since you are so resourceful could you get a sound analyzer plugin and compare the low frequency range and amplitude of your dvd's versus the Hd content of the same title.

I am wondering if there is software that could be implemented to recover bass fundamentals of HD movies transmitted on TV.
post #27 of 168
Uh, what is this thread about?

Is it about creating the next generation of integrated HTPC, or is it about meeting or even exceeding the specs of some of these "HTPC's on Steroids" which are overpriced and over wrought?

My only point is that you do not have to go to any of the "off the shelf" units, though they may be good, in order to get a very capable HTPC setup. In fact, when working with clients, I am able to custom build exactly what they want. Through programming of their remote, I am able to pretty seamlessly put everything together.

With most system, the customer is using the MSN Remote Record for OTA and TitanTV for Sat or Cable sans-cablecard and DRM. The R5000HD puts the videos onto a NAS which is drive mapped into the PC and the Videos automatically show up in MCE in the My Videos section - since the user is usually using the R5000HD location to store films this works out well. We can also fit them with My Movies as well if they are interested in RIPing DVDs, which some do.

All of this is then available via the MCE Extender function in the 360 and plays back fine for them throughout their home. One of my "pet peeves" is making sure DRM stays away from the system - and the current CableCard solution does not even begin to meet this requirement.

Also, we generally do not use the HTPC for direct playback - instead treating it like a Server. The extenders do all of the playback and are much easier to integrate into a system. The "Do it All" approach also leads to too many problems.

Lastly, we install ORB on the system and point that at the same storage directories. Doing this, the user can then stream any of their recorded content to anywhere on the net they desire. So, in the end they can:

1 - Record anything without DRM
2 - Record from anywhere, while home or away
3 - Watch everything anywhere in the home in full HD
4 - Watch everything anywhere over the net in streaming video

How complicated to use? Not in the least. (Much more so to get up and running and programmed properly - but that's my job ;-)

Peter
post #28 of 168
Thread Starter 
And the R5000 faithfuly and uninterruptedly continues to perform in several installs without need for service calls? That would be remarkable.
post #29 of 168
The R5000HD has been working reliably and without problem for a couple years now. I had to have my receiver repaired as I overheated it do to my error of poor ventilation (now solved with a laptop chiller under it). Also, there was a "bug" in the last version of the software which was causing some crashing - however, David and I spent a week tracking it down and squashing it - and all is working as it should.

The only problems I have seen with any of the HTPC solutions is when people try to use the system as a General Purpose system at the same time as a HTPC. Loading up too much software running in the background or causing file conflicts or bad driver installs are what cause the problems.

Also, a lot of these "off the shelf" versions of the system try to push too much tech onto the device and thus oversell their capabilities. Built properly, maintained properly and managed properly - a HTPC should prove to be a very reliable system. I have one customer who has been running a HTPC along with (2) 360 media extenders and he has been up and running without a reboot for over a year (not including the one time I took it down to add a second large HD).

It all depends if you know what you are doing or not.

Trying to put all of the features you listed in a previous posting IS NOT the way to go about this.
post #30 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Uh, what is this thread about?

Is it about creating the next generation of integrated HTPC, or is it about meeting or even exceeding the specs of some of these "HTPC's on Steroids" which are overpriced and over wrought?

My only point is that you do not have to go to any of the "off the shelf" units, though they may be good, in order to get a very capable HTPC setup. In fact, when working with clients, I am able to custom build exactly what they want. Through programming of their remote, I am able to pretty seamlessly put everything together.


Peter

Cineramax stated above that "the purpose of this thread is discuss the alternatives in creating this Ultimate Home Media Ecosystem based on this 15-20 grand 5+ terabite Vista servers."

So my big post above was my thought on what the ideal home media ecosystem would look like.

I think that receiving/time shifting/archiving/multi-room viewing of Premium HD content is the killer feature for any product that is attached to a TV. Since those features haven't been in MCE to date, MCE hasn't really taken over in the living room.

Now the Cablecard is coming to Vista, I think it's time to look at the ultimate potential of the Vista MCE system. Since receiving/time shifting/archiving/multi-room view of Premium HD content is the key feature, it makes sense that a lot of the discussion in this thread would center around the cablecard (or E* & D*) capabilities.

However, I would still like to see comments/thoughts/updates for accessing music, movies and other media through the Vista system, with a focus on accessing everything in HD in any room all through a remote.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › Vista Cable Card Multiroom On Steroids.