or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Getting tired of error code: 408bc504
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting tired of error code: 408bc504 - Page 8

post #211 of 296
I had the exact same issue at the end of The Bourne Ultimatum. It happened a little bit after he was in the water. Powered off and back on and went back to the scene, everything was fine.
post #212 of 296
Just experienced this problem with HP Order of the Phoenix; occurs about an hour and 35 in. (chap 24). Is the solution to return the disc?
post #213 of 296
Any one have freeze problem at 1hr.27:27 and 1hr.47min on Borne Ulit. disc??? I had two disc and both stopped at same spot. I have hd-a3 firmware 1.3, Mits.hc3000 projector with mono price hdmi 35' 1.3 cable and optical out to pioneer 1014 avr. It also had a very very long loading time compare to the other hd discs and then studdered on opening graphics, then would not play twice saying disc wrong format. I had to flip over to standard side to finish the last three chapters. I also got the 408bc504 code.
post #214 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by acappa View Post

First post, same error.

The error occurred during the last two minutes of "The Bourne Ultimatum," which is a brand new disc just released today. First time I've had this error.

I switched the disc over the the SD side and it played fine. I flipped it back over to the HD side and it played fine.

Should I exchange the disc or assume that it is a hardware issue and wait to see what Toshiba is going to do about it? What's everyone else doing with "error discs?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by codan3 View Post

I had the exact same issue at the end of The Bourne Ultimatum. It happened a little bit after he was in the water. Powered off and back on and went back to the scene, everything was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrseau55 View Post

Just experienced this problem with HP Order of the Phoenix; occurs about an hour and 35 in. (chap 24). Is the solution to return the disc?

1. Make sure you have the latest FW for your player.
If you do, you might want to exchange the disc.

To reproduce the issue, you will most likely have to watch the entire movie again to the point of failure.

Fast Forwarding to the scene may be allowing the laser/HW to be within tolerance and play with no issue whereas when you play the entire movie, the laser/HW drifts enough that when it gets to a specific point in the movie, you get the error.

With all these reports, it's either a disc production/duplication error on many releases at several disc duplication facilities or a HW issue with component/spec tolerances.

If you replace the disc and have the same issue, I would look in to getting the player exchanged or repaired.
post #215 of 296
Thanks 42Plasmaman

I am pretty sure now that it's the disc. It occurs on both my HD-DVD players and at the exact same (section). Both have been updated with the latest firmware.

I suppose a call to Amazon is in order. *sigh*
post #216 of 296
The Bourne Ultimatum from netflix got frozen either due to the disc or probably due to the player. And HD-DVD A2 is giving an error message of 408bc504. It happened when Jason was about to enter the training facility at 415 and 71(?). I turned it off and tried again, but A2 is telling me "This disc is not DVD format." Come on!.. Of course it's not DVD, but HD-DVD!
post #217 of 296
I also had a 408bc504 on an XA2 tonight with “The Bourne Ultimatum” just as he gets to the training facility. Its definitely a disk production problem. I have 2.7 firmware.
post #218 of 296
FYI, my freeze occurs as he is jumping into the river.

I wonder what they will do about this?
post #219 of 296
Movie : Fearless (Combo)
Error Code 408bc504 popped between 1 hr 30 min 03 sec ~ 1 hr 30 min 21 sec.
Player : Toshiba HD-XF2 (A2)
Firmware Version : 2.7

Fearless played flawless with previous F/W versions. Could owners of A2 with 2.7 firmware and Fearless combo please check on this and revert back ?

I am extremely worried as I have ordered Bourne Ultimatum Combo and now I am fearing if it would playback properly. Being an overseas customer my chances of exchanging faulty discs are slim.

Please help.
post #220 of 296
My A2 had firmware 1.5. I've updated to 2.7 and was able to play from the scene where A2 gave an error message of 408bc504.

I think this is not due to the disc but due to the player, maybe not due to the firmware either. I am letting A2 with firmware 2.7 play the Bourne Ultimatum from the beginning to see if A2 gives an error message again after about 90 minutes of playback... I hope not... Well, I will see what happens. My wife is giving me a look of "why hd-dvd? should have got the blu ray". -_-...
post #221 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

1. Make sure you have the latest FW for your player.
If you do, you might want to exchange the disc.

To reproduce the issue, you will most likely have to watch the entire movie again to the point of failure.

Fast Forwarding to the scene may be allowing the laser/HW to be within tolerance and play with no issue whereas when you play the entire movie, the laser/HW drifts enough that when it gets to a specific point in the movie, you get the error.

With all these reports, it's either a disc production/duplication error on many releases at several disc duplication facilities or a HW issue with component/spec tolerances.

If you replace the disc and have the same issue, I would look in to getting the player exchanged or repaired.

Updating the firmware was the very first thing I did after I purchased the player. The issue really does have something to do with the players oversensitivity to dust on the discs.
post #222 of 296
Could owners of A2 with 2.7 firmware and Fearless combo please check on this and revert back ?
post #223 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myung View Post

My A2 had firmware 1.5. I've updated to 2.7 and was able to play from the scene where A2 gave an error message of 408bc504.

I think this is not due to the disc but due to the player, maybe not due to the firmware either. I am letting A2 with firmware 2.7 play the Bourne Ultimatum from the beginning to see if A2 gives an error message again after about 90 minutes of playback... I hope not... Well, I will see what happens. My wife is giving me a look of "why hd-dvd? should have got the blu ray". -_-...

I so feel your pain!
post #224 of 296
Somehow, the bourne ultimatum played to the end without any error. I guess the 2.7 firmware fixed it? Or something else. Or A2 is learning how to play hd-dvd.
post #225 of 296
Wow!! All these error issues with the Toshiba HD-DVD players!! I've had the XBox 360 add on since it came out and haven't had one issue. I now have a Toshiba HD-A3 just delivered from Amazon.com and am beginning to think I should send it back!!
post #226 of 296
After getting the 408bc504 error message on my XA2, I decided to test the same “The Bourne Ultimatum” disk on my A2 (2.7 firmware). It played all the way through without a problem. I no longer blame the disk. I do find it puzzling, however, that this is the first disk I’ve had a problem with on my one month old XA2.
post #227 of 296
I returned two B. Ultimatum discs before I got one that played entirely without freezing. I have an XA2 with firmware 1.5.
post #228 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otokejr View Post

I returned two B. Ultimatum discs before I got one that played entirely without freezing. I have an XA2 with firmware 1.5.

Your third disk may not be any different than the first two. I replayed my suspect The Bourne Ultimatum disk on my XA2 and it played fine the second time.
post #229 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax50 View Post

Wow!! All these error issues with the Toshiba HD-DVD players!! I've had the XBox 360 add on since it came out and haven't had one issue. I now have a Toshiba HD-A3 just delivered from Amazon.com and am beginning to think I should send it back!!

Depends on how you have the XBOX hooked up..and if you care about the higher quality audio.

I have a XBOX 360 addon that I had hooked up via VGA at 1920x1080. I wanted to get the better audio so I bought a A30....something I now regret. PQ wise the addon was as good or better than the A30 and although the A30 has better audio...it has WAY more issues playing movies. Never once had a hd-dvd movie..rented or otherwise not play in my addon...but with the a30..its crapshoot. I pretty much expect any movie to crash at some point when I play it on the A30.

Curious to hear what your opinion is when comparing your addon and the A3. For me the move to standalone was not worth it.
post #230 of 296
I watched Bourne Ultimatum last night having just got it and I get an error code at the VERY beginning of the disk. The menu comes up fine and it goes into the rated PG-13 and the comments disclaimer then it stops with the error code. Kinda sucks. I may return it to Amazon. I am playing it on the HD-A1.
post #231 of 296
I have the xa2, and no problems with either "Ultimatium" or HP order of the phoenix
Also running the FW 2.7 version
post #232 of 296
I may just send BU back to Amazon then cuz it shouldn't giving error codes right out of the box.
post #233 of 296
I also have the error on BU towards the end. It played fine the first time but not the second. This is the first time I've gotten the error. I havent tried to exchange discs yet. I'm waiting to see if universal says something.
post #234 of 296
Universal for gods sake please stop your COMBO offerings. Becoming unreliable day-by-day.
post #235 of 296
Playing the Bourne Utlimatum last night had 3 different sections where I got pixelation and then a freeze. Once during the bombing scene, once at the training facility and once when they were on the ferry.

After a restart I was able to move forward to another chapter and then reverse - but if I got close to the area it would freeze again - which really makes me think its the disc.

This is on an A3

The disc is also from Amazon...
post #236 of 296
I think that one of the few ways that we can get these errors ultimately resolved is that we all should be contacting Toshiba with these complaints. Even if some of these problems are disk issues it is in Toshiba's best interests to pressure the disk manufacturers to producing a quality disk or people will simply stop buying their HD players. If we all start emailing and/or calling Toshiba with our issues they may eventually do something about it, whether it be more firmware updates or using their considerable leverage to force higher disk production standards. This isn't a quick fix, but, it might eventually lead to the resolution of many of our complaints.
post #237 of 296
Just to make sure - when you update the firmware- make sure you re "initialize" the player. It is an option in the same menu as updating the firmware. I was getting a ton of these errors even though I had updated the firmware, and couldn't figure out why. Very frustrating. As a last ditch attempt I "initialized" and when the player restarted, all my discs played fine. good luck!
post #238 of 296
I've gone through two Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. First one hard froze my A35(v1.1 then updated to v1.3) 19 seconds in. I took it back. The second freezes up at 1:38 on Sirius Black's face. Went over to Magnolia Hi-Fi and tried it on an A35(v1.1) and A30(v1.1), both froze up at the same place. Something's bad there.
post #239 of 296
I watched Borne Ultimatum (Netflix), no problem, so it isn't the title, buy am getting the freezes with Blades of Glory. I received and installed the 2.7 Firmware update yesterday. Did scene selection to a point after the freeze, rewinded and watched it. Not a great solution, but was able to finish the movie.
Not sure if this matters, but I never got a freeze before yesterday's update.
I tried washing the disk with a disk cleaner and found another thread that suggested hot water and soap, to no avail.
post #240 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo View Post

I watched Borne Ultimatum (Netflix), no problem, so it isn't the title, buy am getting the freezes with Blades of Glory. I received and installed the 2.7 Firmware update yesterday. Did scene selection to a point after the freeze, rewinded and watched it. Not a great solution, but was able to finish the movie.
Not sure if this matters, but I never got a freeze before yesterday's update.
I tried washing the disk with a disk cleaner and found another thread that suggested hot water and soap, to no avail.

Did you initialize the player immediately after doing the Firmware update?

Mark
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Getting tired of error code: 408bc504