or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Blu-ray, HD-DVD & SD DVD Comparison Screenshots *WARNING - LARGE PICTURE FILES*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray, HD-DVD & SD DVD Comparison Screenshots *WARNING - LARGE PICTURE FILES* - Page 5

post #121 of 1010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

God! I love comparison shots, Xylon you did beyond an excellent job, please keep posting more when you can. Threads like these make me want to go get a PS3 A.S. A.P.

This only DVD vs HD. Wait till you see what I have planned next time
post #122 of 1010
WOW!!!

Those "Fantastic Four" shots look AMAZING compared to the DVD.

"Batman Begins" however looked clearer on HD DVD via my HD-A2 temporarily hooked up to an SDTV... so a little underwhelmed with these shots...

~Alan
post #123 of 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

This only DVD vs HD. Wait till you see what I have planned next time


WHAT! WHAT!! can't wait!!!
post #124 of 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post

Those "Fantastic Four" shots look AMAZING compared to the DVD.

~Alan

Compared to DVD, everything in HD looks amazing but in my opinion, compared to other HD movies, it looks very bad. Look at one of the last shots: The wide shot of the street with the human torch in the lower right.
That shot is full of makro-blocking. Look at the surface of the street! I never thought, I would see that on HD-disc content. You see it on HD-TV often, but on disc?

It´s not a surprise, considering that the movie is only 17,6 gigabytes in MPEG 2! I´m glad, dual layer really seems to be becoming the standard. Nothing against Blu-Ray in general but I really hope, that this is among the weaker releases, considering compression. HD DVD had/has weaker moments/releases too but I never saw obvious artefacts like these.


I also love these comparison shots! Keep it up, Xylon!
post #125 of 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlander View Post

Compared to DVD, everything in HD looks amazing but in my opinion, compared to other HD movies, it looks very bad. Look at one of the last shots: The wide shot of the street with the human torch in the lower right.
That shot is full of makro-blocking. Look at the surface of the street! I never thought, I would see that on HD-disc content. You see it on HD-TV often, but on disc?

It´s not a surprise, considering that the movie is only 17,6 gigabytes in MPEG 2! I´m glad, dual layer really seems to be becoming the standard. Nothing against Blu-Ray in general but I really hope, that this is among the weaker releases, considering compression. HD DVD had/has weaker moments/releases too but I never saw obvious artefacts like these.

I have HD DVD (and in the process of converting to Blu-Ray in May), and I own a handful of titles that are just jaw-dropping differences in their appearance... but I also own a couple of titles that are only "marginal differences". I find the "Batman Begins" HD DVD to be a much more detailed experience over the SD-DVD than you can really see on these screen shots. The "Fantastic Four" shots however show a much bigger improvement in quality... which is why I showed it off to a co-worker (I'm at work) and got her interested in High-Def media when I told her that Sony stated they will have a Blu-Ray player as low as $300 by Christmas... which should tell people something since she doesn't even own an HDTV.

~Alan
post #126 of 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlander View Post

Compared to DVD, everything in HD looks amazing but in my opinion, compared to other HD movies, it looks very bad. Look at one of the last shots: The wide shot of the street with the human torch in the lower right.
That shot is full of makro-blocking. Look at the surface of the street! I never thought, I would see that on HD-disc content. You see it on HD-TV often, but on disc?

I also love these comparison shots! Keep it up, Xylon!

Agreed! The Mpeg2 in Fantastic 4 shows horrible macroblocking - and not only in these scenes. It's really not much better than Satellite (in fact my Satellite capture was larger than the 17 gigs on the BD disc).

I agree, also, that Batman and Superman were both rather soft in the theaters too, so no surprise there.

Xylon, keep up the good work - these are great!
post #127 of 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

This only DVD vs HD. Wait till you see what I have planned next time


Sign me up
post #128 of 1010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Even at 50% magnification the dvd shots are still lifeless and flat. Sure, you can scale them via ffdshow, sharpen and denoise the hell out of them but they'll never be more than SD.

I agree. It also make your PQ look too "digital".
post #129 of 1010
Xylon -

Great thread. I'll be recommending that Kong image in the future when people ask how to recognize softness or detail. It's a money shot.

And props to TSOLfan for the nifty viewer.

- Tom
post #130 of 1010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Agreed! The Mpeg2 in Fantastic 4 shows horrible macroblocking - and not only in these scenes. It's really not much better than Satellite (in fact my Satellite capture was larger than the 17 gigs on the BD disc).

I agree, also, that Batman and Superman were both rather soft in the theaters too, so no surprise there.

Xylon, keep up the good work - these are great!

The question is how does the BD MPEG2 of Fantastic Four (or any other movie be it BD or HD DVD) look compared to the h.264 broadcasts from Europe? That we will ponder on the next comparison thread I will put up.
post #131 of 1010
Thread Starter 
Troy(VC-1) 19.90 GB


post #132 of 1010
Thread Starter 

post #133 of 1010
Thread Starter 

post #134 of 1010
Thread Starter 

post #135 of 1010
Thread Starter 
post #136 of 1010
Thread Starter 
Stargate(MPEG-2) 21.60 GB

(\\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

post #137 of 1010
Thread Starter 
post #138 of 1010
Thread Starter 
post #139 of 1010
Thread Starter 
post #140 of 1010
Thread Starter 
post #141 of 1010
Hey, some of those Troy pictures look like pictures I took way back when comparing HD DVD and upconverted SD DVD. It's good to know that even though my pictures were photos taken of projected images on my screen, and yours are direct captures, they convey similar results.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=730533
post #142 of 1010
Thread Starter 
I saw that thread last year. Gave me an idea.
post #143 of 1010
Keep up the good work Xylon.

The King Kong shots really make for a holy sh*t moment.
post #144 of 1010
Thread Starter 
Casino Royal next but I'm going to watch it first
post #145 of 1010
Xylon ...when you have the chance, are you going to do comparison of HD DVD vs Blu-ray vs SD DVD of Debbie Does Dallas Again?
post #146 of 1010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD View Post

Xylon ...when you have the chance, are you going to do comparison of HD DVD vs Blu-ray vs SD DVD of Debbie Does Dallas Again?

Sure why not. Comparison between these formats is nothing if I don't include Pr0n
post #147 of 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

This only DVD vs HD. Wait till you see what I have planned next time

I'd like to see SD with good upconversion Vs. HD.
post #148 of 1010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by r96797 View Post

I'd like to see SD with good upconversion Vs. HD.

There is no definitive way of showing that using digital screenshots. The only best way of doing it is feeding two identical 1080i (like the Bravia LCD for example) viewing sets side by side watching the same movie simultaneously.
post #149 of 1010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post

The "Fantastic Four" shots however show a much bigger improvement in quality... which is why I showed it off to a co-worker (I'm at work) and got her interested in High-Def media when I told her that Sony stated they will have a Blu-Ray player as low as $300 by Christmas... which should tell people something since she doesn't even own an HDTV.

~Alan

That is one of the main purpose of this thread convincing J6P or Jane6P that HD is for real and worth investing on it.

By the way did you show the King Kong shots to her?
post #150 of 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Casino Royal next but I'm going to watch it first

Just got finished with this one. Great movie. Too bad I don't have a Blu-ray player. I watched the DVD on my XA1.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Blu-ray, HD-DVD & SD DVD Comparison Screenshots *WARNING - LARGE PICTURE FILES*