or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Dsotm Sacd: Wow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dsotm Sacd: Wow

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
My first SACD player, have had it about 1 1/2 months, maybe 6 SACDs.

After reading through a few "top ten" lists, notice most included Pink Floyd's DSOTM.

I was never a big fan (I know, some lack of musical upbringing), but decided to give it a try since it seems to be so highly regarded.

Now I know why. Really a fantastic mix, a real joy to listen to.
post #2 of 32
Same here. Never was a big fan of Floyd until I picked up the SACD based on glowing reviews. Impressed me so much I picked up the other PF CDs and have been enjoying them as well. Hopefully they'll get SACD versions too. Next to The Police's best of, DSOTM is my most played SACD.
post #3 of 32
If you guys have DVD-A capabilities too, you may want to check out the "unofficial" DVD-A of Alan Parson's quad mix of DSOTM.
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

If you guys have DVD-A capabilities too, you MAY want to check out the "unofficial" DVD-A of Alan Parson's quad mix of DSOTM.


may ?
post #5 of 32
I have heard a ton of good reviews about this SACD so I guess it is next on my list. I have a cassette of DSOTM but haven't listened to that in many years. I do not even own any cassette players anymore
post #6 of 32
This album is essential listening in surround, IMHO. Period. It is quite an experience, especially for those hearing music in surround for the first time. The SACD and "unofficial" DVD-A sit happily side by side on my shelf.
post #7 of 32
I have owned this album on almost every conceivable format. Reel to reel, cassette, SQ vinyl, CD, DVDa (AP mix) and SACD. I am a huge Floyd fan and IMHO the SACD mix is by far the best of the lot. The DVDa is interesting but needs remastering which I am going to do in my studio when I get time (pun intended!)
post #8 of 32
I agree this is a nice SACD and the bootleg DVD-A is almost as good, and different enough to want both. One thing I have read discussed is the US version, manufactured by Crest is believed to have some problems and the Japanese manufactured version is better. The Crest made disc will likely have tiny cracks around the spindle hole. I have both versions and can confirm this fact, but the Crest version despite the tiny cracks plays fine. Will it fly apart at some future date? I don't know, that is why I am keeping both. You might be able to read about the Crest crackers as there were quite a number of them. It is the Crest made hybrid SACD's that are of concern.

Chris
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post

I have owned this album on almost every conceivable format. Reel to reel, cassette, SQ vinyl, CD, DVDa (AP mix) and SACD. I am a huge Floyd fan and IMHO the SACD mix is by far the best of the lot. The DVDa is interesting but needs remastering which I am going to do in my studio when I get time (pun intended!)


Titania,

For some reason, I think that I would enjoy your " private " music collection !!!


Bill
post #10 of 32
This SACD reason enough to spend $150 on an Oppo 970, even if the disc came came permanently installed in the player.
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

This SACD reason enough to spend $150 on an Oppo 970, even if the disc came came permanently installed in the player.


You like The Dark Side? Try Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Different music still sounds aboslutely breathtaking in MCH...
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjg View Post

Titania,

For some reason, I think that I would enjoy your " private " music collection !!!


Bill

LOL

If you like Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre, Mike Oldfield, Kraftwerk, Floyd (of course!!), Genesis, Wings, The Police, Santana, Led Zepp, Split Enz, Miles Davis, Phantom of the Opera, Madonna, The Beatles, Elton John, Queen, Oliver Shanti, INXS, The Doors, David Bowie, Dire Straits, Mozart, Enigma.........I could go on and on......

......then again I also like Dance and enjoy a good rave. My favourite dance track would have to be 'The Gamemaster' by Lost Tribe.
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post

LOL

If you like Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre, Mike Oldfield, Kraftwerk, Floyd (of course!!), Genesis, Wings, The Police, Santana, Led Zepp, Split Enz, Miles Davis, Phantom of the Opera, Madonna, The Beatles, Elton John, Queen, Oliver Shanti, INXS, The Doors, David Bowie, Dire Straits, Mozart, Enigma.........I could go on and on......

......then again I also like Dance and enjoy a good rave. My favourite dance track would have to be 'The Gamemaster' by Lost Tribe.


Titania, I think we have a very similar eclectic taste. Too bad (old) TG stuff has not been issued in MCH SACD yet...
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by (l)user View Post

Titania, I think we have a very similar eclectic taste. Too bad (old) TG stuff has not been issued in MCH SACD yet...

I am just ITCHING to get hold of any discreet surround mixes of 70's and 80's TD, hi res or DTS / DD.
post #15 of 32
I bought DSOTM last night and can't wait to give it a listen!
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post

LOL

If you like Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre, Mike Oldfield, Kraftwerk, Floyd (of course!!), Genesis, Wings, The Police, Santana, Led Zepp, Split Enz, Miles Davis, Phantom of the Opera, Madonna, The Beatles, Elton John, Queen, Oliver Shanti, INXS, The Doors, David Bowie, Dire Straits, Mozart, Enigma.........I could go on and on......

......then again I also like Dance and enjoy a good rave. My favourite dance track would have to be 'The Gamemaster' by Lost Tribe.

Any room for Marillion in there ? I hope you've found channel 76 on XM radio.
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titania View Post

I am just ITCHING to get hold of any discreet surround mixes of 70's and 80's TD, hi res or DTS / DD.

It's a shame there is nothing out there yet besides Rubycon, and that's in stereo...
Out there somewhere on a quadro LP ther is Alpha Centauri and Atem, very early TD releases...

Talking about oldies, I am absolutely stunned by Deep Purple's Machine Head in the ORIGINAL quadro.... That's a treat and it is hard for me to understand why nobody is jumping on a bandwagon and releasing tons of original quadro recordings that are available... I bet most of the quadro tapes are still in the archives.... Usable... How about Pink Floyd's Wish You Where Here in quadro?

Just check the link below, there was so much released in quadro...

http://members.cox.net/surround/quaddisc/quadpall.htm
post #18 of 32
You guys are way behind. Most of the '70s quad has been digitized long ago.

Check out Tab Patterson's website if you're into DTS. For DVD-A, you'll have to search a bit on your own...........

http://www.4channelsound.com/list.htm
post #19 of 32
I bought DSOTM SACD off of Amazon and it will not play the multi-channel track on my Denon DVD-2200, but will just play the CD layer. After some research, I determined that the SACD I got was made in the European Union on EMI. I think the correct version for the USA says Capital. Please look at the two links below. The first one is what I got, the second is what I think I should have. Which one does yours look like?

http://pinkfloydcdscanz.bizland.com/...358213621.html

http://pinkfloydcdscanz.bizland.com/...358213621.html

Thanx
post #20 of 32
Someone on Amazon is selling pirate copies of the EU version that aren't SACD. See here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480301

The poster on that thread failed to reveal the seller's name, and I don't know if the seller was reported to Amazon. Which may mean he's continuing to sell his pirate copies...

The pirate copy there had the SACD text missing from the back cover.
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post

Someone on Amazon is selling pirate copies of the EU version that aren't SACD. See here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480301

The poster on that thread failed to reveal the seller's name, and I don't know if the seller was reported to Amazon. Which may mean he's continuing to sell his pirate copies...

The pirate copy there had the SACD text missing from the back cover.

Looks like I got a pirate copy!!! Thanks for the link! The disc I got is exactly like what the poster in the link described!! The seller sent me an e-mail agreeing to refund my money, we will see.............Beware!!!
post #22 of 32
As I said on that other thread - unless you give negative feedback, and/or report to Amazon, he's likely to keep doing this to more people like you.

At least tell us the name of the seller.
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

I agree this is a nice SACD and the bootleg DVD-A is almost as good, and different enough to want both. One thing I have read discussed is the US version, manufactured by Crest is believed to have some problems and the Japanese manufactured version is better. The Crest made disc will likely have tiny cracks around the spindle hole. I have both versions and can confirm this fact, but the Crest version despite the tiny cracks plays fine. Will it fly apart at some future date? I don't know, that is why I am keeping both. You might be able to read about the Crest crackers as there were quite a number of them. It is the Crest made hybrid SACD's that are of concern.

Chris


So, where does one get bootleg DVD-A.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

So, where does one get bootleg DVD-A.

There is a thread discussing the merits of the audio on that disc. Discussion of how to obtain bootlegs isn't permitted here.

Chris
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

This SACD reason enough to spend $150 on an Oppo 970, even if the disc came came permanently installed in the player.

LOL. I feel the same about the bootleg DVDA.
I have no idea how many Q8's I totally destroyed from constant play & heat
from my old Panasonic Q8 player I bought at an Army PX 30-something years ago.
post #26 of 32
have any of you seen the classic album show on vh1 classics for dark side of the moon? it was on late a couple nites ago so i dvr'ed it and watched it last nite. fascinating show with interviews of the the band members; alan parsons too. i learned some interesting things about the album like "money" is written in 7/8 time and it changes to 4/4 time when they go into the rock out guitar solo. they also talk about the voices on "us and them"....who the voices were... and what they were talking about. it was a very interesting show that gave a lot of insight from the band members. check it out if you get the chance.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

have any of you seen the classic album show on vh1 classics for dark side of the moon? it was on late a couple nites ago so i dvr'ed it and watched it last nite. fascinating show with interviews of the the band members; alan parsons too. i learned some interesting things about the album like "money" is written in 7/8 time and it changes to 4/4 time when they go into the rock out guitar solo. they also talk about the voices on "us and them"....who the voices were... and what they were talking about. it was a very interesting show that gave a lot of insight from the band members. check it out if you get the chance.

Buy the DVD "The making of the dark side of the moon". Good stuff.
The 7/8 was the preference of the sax player, and the changeup came when
Gilmour's guitar came back in.
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocks View Post

Buy the DVD "The making of the dark side of the moon".

It's the same thing that he already recorded from VH1.
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

There is a thread discussing the merits of the audio on that disc. Discussion of how to obtain bootlegs isn't permitted here.

Chris


You teased me, but I got it. It sounds great. I even prefer it to SACD.
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post

As I said on that other thread - unless you give negative feedback, and/or report to Amazon, he's likely to keep doing this to more people like you.

At least tell us the name of the seller.

Amazon seller is "bluepyramid" and he refunded my money. Seller claimed he did not know. Beware!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Dsotm Sacd: Wow