or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

You guys talking about 'uneven' blacks with slight colored tints in them, how is the overall black on the screen for the first hour or so. Mine has the slight magenta and green tints on black, but they are really hard to spot most of the time. The bigger issue on mine is black is very purplish blue over the entire screen until a couple hours or so. Do you see this issue at all on yours? If my new OB can at least cure the bluish blacks I think I could live with the other issues.

Sounds like yours either has some pretty bad blue convergance or your white balance in the usermenu is set wrong (blue set too high) If you've adjusted the white balance to try and get rid of the green and red tinge you might have reduced them too much and caused the bluish blacks, I would try doing a reset of the white balance.
post #152 of 3633
What build dates are you new A2020 owners seeing on your new sets?
(Its on a label on the back.)
post #153 of 3633
I'm in AK and just received my television from Best Buy. The build date on mine is January 2007.
post #154 of 3633
Mine is February 2007
post #155 of 3633
Feb 2007 on my 55A2020
post #156 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlisnew2hd View Post

I'm shoppin' for a set, and love the SXRD that I saw. But, I'm worried about all I've read about problems with stains and blobs with some Sony sets. Are the 2007 SXRD sets susceptible?

It appears that some sets are having mild issues like my A-2000. They are mild enough that 90% of people probably would not complain. The more anal people will. Buy one and try it. They are great sets overall. If you get one that bothers you, send it back. Long term we don't yet know if the newer models will hold up better than the early ones. The extended warranty from Sonystyle is pretty cheap...I suggest you buy one from them or your dealer for sure.
post #157 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2003 View Post

Sounds like yours either has some pretty bad blue convergance or your white balance in the usermenu is set wrong (blue set too high) If you've adjusted the white balance to try and get rid of the green and red tinge you might have reduced them too much and caused the bluish blacks, I would try doing a reset of the white balance.

Tried alll that...makes no difference at all...it just stays bluish. You can turn blue gain, and blue bias down all the way and it looks the same. I've tried all kinds of combinations with the white balance and can't help it. A reset to default does not help either. As for convergence, it is pretty good on my set. I do see a lttle red, and green around white letters as is pretty normal on these. Funny thing is the blue calms down a lot after about 2 hours of operation.
post #158 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Tried alll that...makes no difference at all...it just stays bluish. You can turn blue gain, and blue bias down all the way and it looks the same. I've tried all kinds of combinations with the white balance and can't help it. A reset to default does not help either. As for convergence, it is pretty good on my set. I do see a lttle red, and green around white letters as is pretty normal on these. Funny thing is the blue calms down a lot after about 2 hours of operation.

Thats strange, Sounds just like what others describe as the green blob problem, Maybe your the first to have a "blue blob" problem?
post #159 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2003 View Post

Thats strange, Sounds just like what others describe as the green blob problem, Maybe your the first to have a "blue blob" problem?

Not really a blob....it is all over the entire screen on black. Some XBR1 owners had similar issues, but I seem to be the only A-2000 owner with the bluish black syndrome. The slight pinkish, and/or greenish haze in certain areas of the screen seems to be more common. The typical non-anal owner would probably not notice these issues. AVS people may. And to be clear, I don't think all sets are affected. Still great sets for the $$ overall. You won't find any brand or model on the forum that has zero issues.
post #160 of 3633
I just wonder if all of this doesn't have something to do with the way the lcos sets work in that maybe by reflecting off of the panels vs pushing light threw lcds chips on regular lcd sets the lcos reflective layer might be hard to control where the reflections really go.
post #161 of 3633
I am considering purchasing the KDS-50A2020 model but am somewhat hesitant to do so due to the green blob effect. I'm wondering if I should hold out to see if the newer models (whenever they're due out) will be an improvement in this area.
post #162 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHD View Post

I am considering purchasing the KDS-50A2020 model but am somewhat hesitant to do so due to the green blob effect. I'm wondering if I should hold out to see if the newer models (whenever they're due out) will be an improvement in this area.


only very small number of them are affected. Don't let that stop you from buying a great tv.
post #163 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHD View Post

I am considering purchasing the KDS-50A2020 model but am somewhat hesitant to do so due to the green blob effect. I'm wondering if I should hold out to see if the newer models (whenever they're due out) will be an improvement in this area.

I haven't seen any reports of the actual green blob. What most people have reported i(n a few cases) has been more of a uniformity issue. Most of those reports have been described as mild at that. I have an A2000 and am having no issues aside from fiending for more HD source material
post #164 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHD View Post

I am considering purchasing the KDS-50A2020 model but am somewhat hesitant to do so due to the green blob effect. I'm wondering if I should hold out to see if the newer models (whenever they're due out) will be an improvement in this area.

Even though my A-2000 has some uniformity issues, they are not the serious XBR1 green glob thing. I am not aware of any of the newer models having the really bad green stain issue so far. Some do have uniformity issues that may, or may not bother you. I say go for it, and if you have issues you return, or exchange it. They are great sets overall.
post #165 of 3633
I just got the 60 inch A2000 for $1800, I think youd be crazy this month to consider the A2020 which runs up to $800 more.
post #166 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoublebogie View Post

I just got the 60 inch A2000 for $1800, I think youd be crazy this month to consider the A2020 which runs up to $800 more.

I hate you! J/k Just jealous. Nice snag, and I agree. You can buy a can of Black spray paint for less than $800 too!
post #167 of 3633
imma pick up some carbonfiber tape and make it look super light weight.
post #168 of 3633
I just set up a 60A2020 the other day with regular Directv (waiting on the HDDVR). I did notice a slight greenish tint on faces on local channels only, and it was only when the scene was dimly lit. With normal lighting there is no tinting and regular cable channels are just fine. CBS comes in with a slight shadow... ;(

I am having a problem with faint vertical lines, mostly on the left 1/3 of the screen, and only really noticeable on local channels with certain lighting. I am hoping that with the HDDVR and the new dish, these problems will go away.
post #169 of 3633
quick question i have a 60a2020 and im feeding it content from a sa 8300hd dvr from CV , if i hook up a hdmi from the 8300 to the tv would that help my sd content ?? i havent messed with the setting at all on the tv , i loved the pic right out of the box . Its a catch 22 with hd once you see it you really dont wanna see anything else , anyone have any settings for sd i can play with ?? , like the drc stuff for sd . TIA for any help , carlos a , bronx ny
post #170 of 3633
just got my 60a2020 last night. no issues of green tinge or blob that I noticed. where it he build date at? ont he back?

Watched both HD content and DVD (upscaled to 1080i by my Yamaha 2700) and both are great. SD TV broadcast from comcast looks ok, but no where near as nice as HD obviously. I need to bust out my Avia DVD tonight and set this puppy up right!
post #171 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

I sure hope there was a petition to have the '07 SXRD be without dumbo ears. The A2020 formfactor and coloring looks perfect...

I'll take one A2020 with the guts of the '07 SXRD please.... ps 60" model is fine... Thanks you Sony.


Me 2
post #172 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyblau View Post

Thanks, that's the sort of info that I was looking for.

And squeeblez, to answer your question, I am not overly thrilled with the Oppo, but it's probably because it was so overhyped. I still like it, and I can tell that it's a better picture, but you're right about questioning the $230 better thing. I am no videophile, but I take the opinions of videophiles seriously, and they have been very satisfied with the Oppo. I know that I can sell it for most of what I paid for it, and I am still within my 30 day return window if I want to get a PS3 or Toshiba HDDVD player, but I really don't want to commit to a format now. I wanted at least a DVD player that has and HDMI connection, and the Oppo was the obvious choice. If I wanted anything good it was over $100, so I figure the Oppo was about a $100 premium over other decent upconverters.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to say about the Oppo. I had my hopes set very high when I got it (like I was going to be watching HD). As the dust settles and I'm just enjoying my new setup, I'm sure I'll appreciate the Oppo more and more.

Jiggy, I too have an OPPO 981HD. As you have stated the upconversion alone is not worth the price. However, you now have an excellent DVD-A/SACD player. I recommend that you buy one (quality) disc of each format. Prefarably some music that you are very familiar with. Then I think you will see the 230 as well worth it.
post #173 of 3633
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Jiggy, I too have an OPPO 981HD. As you have stated the upconversion alone is not worth the price. However, you now have an excellent DVD-A/SACD player. I recommend that you buy one (quality) disc of each format. Prefarably some music that you are very familiar with. Then I think you will see the 230 as well worth it.

Hmmm...I'm very close to biting the bullet--I may send back the Oppo and get a Toshiba XA2, which can be found for around $500 plus shipping on ebay ($599 from Amazon). Just seems like it's worth the few hundred bucks to get upconversion plus HDDVD. I am not going to buy any nice sounding music CDs, although I do understand that the Oppo will be a great match for them. Boy, I still can't decide, and tomorrow is the last day I can return the Oppo!
post #174 of 3633
^^ I've got the HD-XA2 and of course HD-DVD's look great and upconverted SD-DVD look very nice also.

On a side note I went back to CC this morning and they are going to swap out my 55A2020 this afternoon. Also got another $200.00 off because they are on sale this week. That and the AAA 10% off coupon made for a nice little discount.

I'll report back once I have a few hours on the new set.

Jim
post #175 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

^^ I've got the HD-XA2 and of course HD-DVD's look great and upconverted SD-DVD look very nice also.

On a side note I went back to CC this morning and they are going to swap out my 55A2020 this afternoon. Also got another $200.00 off because they are on sale this week. That and the AAA 10% off coupon made for a nice little discount.

I'll report back once I have a few hours on the new set.

Jim

What was wrong with your 2020?
post #176 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

What was wrong with your 2020?

There is more detailed info in my other posts but basically uneven blacks and a rectangular lighter area just above the Sony logo that's visible in all sources including black letterbox bars. After looking at display models in two different stores that didn't show the same defects I decided to swap it out and give the Sony one last try.

Jim
post #177 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

There is more detailed info in my other posts but basically uneven blacks and a rectangular lighter area just above the Sony logo that's visible in all sources including black letterbox bars. After looking at display models in two different stores that didn't show the same defects I decided to swap it out and give the Sony one last try.

Jim

oh yeah I remember now

Well goodluck
post #178 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

oh yeah I remember now

Well goodluck

Thanks. I need it the way my luck has been going.

Jim
post #179 of 3633
Like so many others, I am debating an upcoming purchase. Do I pick up the 55A2000 for $1899 of get the 55A2020 for $2299?

A rather reputable local TV dealer that sells only Sony and Pioneer is telling me the A2000 had a firmware problem and that the A2020 comes with the most recent and upgraded firmware.

Do you think this is a line of BS? Or could there be any creditability to this claim.

I am really stressing over this decision.

Considering I am not in the market for a BluRay or any other component that will utilize the 1080 capability, do you think it would be a totally unwise purchase to get the 720p model and wait until the new technology fixes these apparent problems? Specifically, I am thinking about the KDF 55E2000, which is in the $1500 price range.

Help!!!! Any info that could shed light on this decision would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Charles
post #180 of 3633
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwhecker View Post

Like so many others, I am debating an upcoming purchase. Do I pick up the 55A2000 for $1899 of get the 55A2020 for $2299?

A rather reputable local TV dealer that sells only Sony and Pioneer is telling me the A2000 had a firmware problem and that the A2020 comes with the most recent and upgraded firmware.

Do you think this is a line of BS? Or could there be any creditability to this claim.

I am really stressing over this decision.

Considering I am not in the market for a BluRay or any other component that will utilize the 1080 capability, do you think it would be a totally unwise purchase to get the 720p model and wait until the new technology fixes these apparent problems? Specifically, I am thinking about the KDF 55E2000, which is in the $1500 price range.

Help!!!! Any info that could shed light on this decision would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Charles

Charles, I'd personally go with the 55A2000. There's really no evidence that the A2020 is any different inside than the A2000, although it certainly could be the case. So, I would certainly live with the silver color and save $400. Also, I would throw some of my savings into a 5 year warranty from Sony to ease any concerns I may have about the insides of the A2000.

I also think that it's worth the $400 difference over the E2000, even if you may not use the 1080p and other features now, you may later, and the A2000/A2020 series is known to be one of the best around. I went with the 50A2000 last month, but 0neCall ran out of it before fulfilling my order, so I get a 50A2020 instead, which I love. However, if they never ran out of the A2000, I would have had no hesitation in accepting it from them even with the A2020 coming out.

Good luck with your decision. Either way, you're going to love the TV!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread