or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 114

post #3391 of 3633
Don,

You may want to call Sony. I think I saw someone complaining on the Facebook page yesterday that they were not contacted when Sony could not ship the model they had picked...
post #3392 of 3633
Never got any emails. 60NX810 received and sold.
post #3393 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post

Still haven't got an email, but I called them Friday and they said it would ship on the 15th (now yesterday). Still no charge on my account, either. I wonder if they are running out or what's going on here?

Your card not being charged makes me think they may be running low on stock. Call and ask them. Find out if you can select from a 2011 model(s). We both submitted our pictures about the same time.
post #3394 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman101 View Post

Your card not being charged makes me think they may be running low on stock. Call and ask them. Find out if you can select from a 2011 model(s). We both submitted our pictures about the same time.

Yeah, I did call them yesterday morning. They ran out and now have more in they said and now the new ship date is the 21st? That's right at that 3 week mark. If they screw around with me again, I'm going to raise hell.
post #3395 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman101 View Post
Your card not being charged makes me think they may be running low on stock. Call and ask them. Find out if you can select from a 2011 model(s). We both submitted our pictures about the same time.
I'm sure they have plenty more NX810's at warehouses around the country. Just remember that they are giving away snowballs in the winter since even at the price they are charging you they STILL make money. Considering the economy, I'm sure they're happy to get rid of them and kill two birds with one stone.


P.S. You can't "select" from anything. It's one size fits all. Whether you had a 55" or 60" SXRD, they are STILL only offering the 55" NX810, despite the fact that they have a 60" model. They know exactly what they're doing. In addition, most people will probably spring for a 3D kit, so they'll also make money on that.
post #3396 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post
I'm sure they have plenty more NX810's at warehouses around the country. Just remember that they are giving away snowballs in the winter since even at the price they are charging you they STILL make money. Considering the economy, I'm sure they're happy to get rid of them and kill two birds with one stone.


P.S. You can't "select" from anything. It's one size fits all. Whether you had a 55" or 60" SXRD, they are STILL only offering the 55" NX810, despite the fact that they have a 60" model. They know exactly what they're doing. In addition, most people will probably spring for a 3D kit, so they'll also make money on that.
You're right on probably having more NX810s, they just have to reallocate them or whatever most likely. I don't know about the profit margins on LCDs but $660 is likely right above cost.

But, they definitely gave us choices, mine was from a 46 and 55" (NX810s). Someone in the A2000 thread had 4 different choices, and it DID NOT include the 55NX810. If I don't see a charge on Monday, I'm going to push for that 60" at the same price.
post #3397 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post
You're right on probably having more NX810s, they just have to reallocate them or whatever most likely. I don't know about the profit margins on LCDs but $660 is likely right above cost.

But, they definitely gave us choices, mine was from a 46 and 55" (NX810s). Someone in the A2000 thread had 4 different choices, and it DID NOT include the 55NX810. If I don't see a charge on Monday, I'm going to push for that 60" at the same price.
Yes, they gave you two different size choices, however, everyone (except for XBR owners), got the same choice at the same price (A2020 owners). The reason A2000 owners were offered a different deal is because their TV's are older. At the very beginning they were offered something better. If you have a bad A3000, the amount of money would be different. It has to do with many factors, including what Sony told the Court and the extended optical block warranty and when it runs out on your model. So there are many different things that determine what they offer you and at what price. When they started with A2000 owners, the TV's they were offered were actually free on the smaller size TV's they offered. As for profit, since Sony is also the manufacturer, they only have charge above their manufacturing cost to make money.

Good luck "push[ing] for that 60" at the same price". You won't get the 60" even if you're willing to pay MORE money. I've been there and done (tried)that, but, let us know if you have any success. They (Sony) sure know how to play the game. They have some customer service reps that make "some people" believe that they're getting some kind of special deal and are getting special treatment.

In the end, I have a virtually worthless 60" A2020 and the new NX810 has lousy 3D and even without 3D the picture quality (and size) doesn't come close to my A2020 when it was new. The thing that I CAN'T understand is WHY they have, to date, been unable to correct the optical block problem in the first place. ....and with the state of affairs in Japan, I wonder what will happen to TV production. I guess they'll be sending MORE work to China.
post #3398 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post
The thing that I CAN'T understand is WHY they have, to date, been unable to correct the optical block problem in the first place. ...
What's funny is Sony has patents from the late 90s that talk specifically about the blue panel being damaged by excessive heat and how to solve it. They did not implement that knowledge in the actual TV designs. Sony engineering knew this would happen 8 years before my TV was made.
post #3399 of 3633
Quote:


Originally Posted by techman707
The thing that I CAN'T understand is WHY they have, to date, been unable to correct the optical block problem in the first place. ....and with the state of affairs in Japan, I wonder what will happen to TV production. I guess they'll be sending MORE work to China.

I'm sure they could have worked out a solution, but when LCD-RPs were released the clock was ticking on direct-view LCD and Plasma panels in sizes that could match LCD-RP. That development was a certainty. Once they were available it made no sense to stick with LCD-RP.

If you meant 'correct the optical block problem' for repair purposes only, that's a loser. A company is not going to spend R&D in order to allow better repairs of existing product. It would make more sense to allow customers a discount on a newer set.

Had the gap been a few years wider, I believe manufacturers would have simply adopted LED lamps, as Samsung has done on some DLPs. LEDs would have run the set cooler, no harmful UV, and allowed purer lower-energy blues.
post #3400 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

I'm sure they could have worked out a solution, but when LCD-RPs were released the clock was ticking on direct-view LCD and Plasma panels in sizes that could match LCD-RP. .

Where is that 82" LCD/Plasma under $4k?
post #3401 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

I'm sure they could have worked out a solution, but when LCD-RPs were released the clock was ticking on direct-view LCD and Plasma panels in sizes that could match LCD-RP. That development was a certainty. Once they were available it made no sense to stick with LCD-RP.

If you meant 'correct the optical block problem' for repair purposes only, that's a loser. A company is not going to spend R&D in order to allow better repairs of existing product. It would make more sense to allow customers a discount on a newer set.

Had the gap been a few years wider, I believe manufacturers would have simply adopted LED lamps, as Samsung has done on some DLPs. LEDs would have run the set cooler, no harmful UV, and allowed purer lower-energy blues.

Yesterday I got into a conversation with a friend I used to work with and he told me something that totally blew my mind. Here in New York AMC has a 25 Plex on 42nd Street in Manhattan. In order to throw the union out they went completely digital not to long ago. It also required them to remove all the 35mm projection equipment.

Most of the theatres here in NY that have gone digital have installed mostly Barco and NEC projectors. However, none of those are LCoS (SXRD=Sony or D'ILA=JVC), which I've been a big fan of since their inception. I STILL believe that LCoS produces the best all around picture.

Unbeknownst to me, the AMC 25 Plex I referred to above had installed all Sony DCI SXRD projectors. Apparently Sony's DCI theatre projectors suffer from the same optical block problem as their consumer SXRD projectors and rear screen TV's. Because of that problem AMC has just pulled out all their Sony projectors and have replaced them with Christie digital projectors.That's a BIG and expensive move and wouldn't have been done if Sony could have corrected the problem.

It's STILL a mystery to me since if Sony couldn't find a fix, how come JVC didn't (or doesn't that I am aware of) have this problem on their projectors or TV's? When I originally raised the question whether Sony's consumer projectors showed any optical block problems, one of the calibrators here on the forum said that he was beginning to see problems with the blacks on some Sony projectors. I then wondered about the JVC projectors, of which I own 3 (a G15, an HX2 and an RS35) from different generations. I haven't seen any signs of the Sony problem on any of them....yet. However, in all fairness, none of my projectors have anywhere near the hours that I had on my 60A2020 TV.

The bottom line is that I believe there must be a solution and with the losses Sony will have just from their commercial theatre projectors, I can't understand why they haven't been more aggressive finding and correcting the problem. They chose to just stop making SXRD TV's altogether.
post #3402 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Apparently Sony's DCI theatre projectors suffer from the same optical block problem as their consumer SXRD projectors and rear screen TV's.

Sony's consumer SXRD front projectors don't have OB problems. Sony just released 2 new ones. SXRD FP is alive and well.
post #3403 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post

Sony's consumer SXRD front projectors don't have OB problems. Sony just released 2 new ones. SXRD FP is alive and well.

Not according to one of the top calibrators here on the forum. As for being alive and well, just because they're still selling something, as they did with the RP TV's, that doesn't mean they're okay. They lied to the Court about there being ANY problem, then later they said it was corrected.

As I said, the reason I was concerned of a future problem developing with their FP was because front projectors don't get the same type hour usage as TVs so it would take much longer to show up. My son has an A2000 that hasn't shown the problem...yet. So what does that mean, that there isn't a problem? He just doesn't have a lot of hours on that TV.

In all these years through 3 generations of SXRD TVs, why hasn't Sony been able to correct the problem with their optical blocks? In any case, if AMC had enough of a problem with their Sony DCI projectors to pull them out, it doesn't inspire confidence in my mind.

eci- By the way, do you work for Sony?
post #3404 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post


eci- By the way, do you work for Sony?

No. As a matter of fact I can't stand Sony. I have a KDS-R70XBR2 on its 3rd OB. Thanks for the disrespect and accusatory tone, though.
post #3405 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post

No. As a matter of fact I can't stand Sony. I have a KDS-R70XBR2 on its 3rd OB. Thanks for the disrespect and accusatory tone, though.

I was just asking since there was a whole discussion about Sony front projectors and like I said, a well respected calibrator said he WAS IN FACT seeing some problems with some Sony front projectors. You appeared to be posting with authority that Sony front projectors were FINE and they just came out with two new models. I'm sorry if you feel it was "accusatory", but when someone in an Sony SXRD thread defends Sony"s front projectors after all the grief owners have had with ALL MODELS of Sony's SXRD TV's, I don't think asking the question is unfair, especially after what Sony pulled with this last class action lawsuit.

My personal concern isn't for Sony's front projectors, but for JVC's front projectors. If Sony wasn't able to correct their OB problem over 3 generations of SXRD TV's, it just makes me wonder what JVC knows about LCoS OB's that Sony doesn't. If I recall, the optical blocks on some older JVC FP's were made by Cannon.
post #3406 of 3633
Still no charge to my account, guess who I'm going to be chewing out tomorrow?
post #3407 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post
Still no charge to my account, guess who I'm going to be chewing out tomorrow?
Could it be Sony?

Hang in there, you'll get it. While a watched pot never boils, watching Sony will make you boil.
post #3408 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post
Could it be Sony?

Hang in there, you'll get it. While a watched pot never boils, watching Sony will make you boil.
It'll be 3 weeks on Thursday since the email that says they received the pictures. Everyone else took 1-2 weeks.
post #3409 of 3633
Sony received my paperwork to replace a kds-60a2020 with a kdl-55nx810 on 3-1. My three weeks were up yesterday. I'd received no info from Sony concerning shipping so I called them this morning. Called 800-222-7669 and received basically no help other that to give it a few more days. Called 888-993-7669 and got someone that knew something. They advised that the 55's were not available at this time and if I wanted I could get the 60". The 55 had been $660.00 and the 60 would be $1100.00. More money but the 60" was what I wanted from the start but I could not originally get them to agree to that.

If your waiting for a 55", you'd best call them
post #3410 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post

It'll be 3 weeks on Thursday since the email that says they received the pictures. Everyone else took 1-2 weeks.

It is talking a pretty long time compared to the time frame I experienced.

They made the offer in 2/8 and I sent them the pictures and serial number the same day (2/8). On 2/11 I received the email confirming that they received the pictures I emailed them. The next email I received was on 2/18 saying the TV was shipped with a tracking number and telling me to contact the shipping company to arrange for delivery. I received the TV on 2/22. I would have received it on 2/18, the SAME day I received the email saying it was shipped, but it was pulled off the flight it was supposed to be on for some unknown reason. The reason I didn't get it on 2/21 was because it was a holiday and they weren't delivering that day.

When did you get the email confirming that they received your stuff?
post #3411 of 3633
I received the email on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:00 PM. I'm going to call them now.
post #3412 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post

I received the email on Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:00 PM. I'm going to call them now.

I think you should call them. If they are just waiting to receive more units, you would think they would have sent you an email to tell you that. What can I say....Sony-Make.Believe
post #3413 of 3633
Here's what's happening so far. Called the 888-993-7669 number, talked to "Eric" and he said that the 55NX810s were on backorder now until May. He then offered either to wait for it OR get the 55HX800 for 80 dollars less ($580+tax). I wanted more options, he didn't have any.

So I asked for a supervisor, he then transferred me to the "customer relations dept" which "had more authority" and I spoke with a similar-sounding gentleman named "Zack".

So he mentioned the 55HX800 again, and I told him that I had a discussion online about this and some were getting the 60" model offered (of the NX810). He then immediately said, yes we can do that but he wanted to check on stock for that. I was fine with that, so it took him about 5-10 minutes and he came back, verified my info and the price ($1100 + tax).

So now I'm getting the 60NX810, and the escalation process was smooth. I didn't yell and scream, just stated my dissatisfaction with the process.

Moral of the story, if you're waiting on a 55NX810 and don't want to wait until May - call now!
post #3414 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post

Here's what's happening so far. Called the 888-993-7669 number, talked to "Eric" and he said that the 55NX810s were on backorder now until May. He then offered either to wait for it OR get the 55HX800 for 80 dollars less ($580+tax). I wanted more options, he didn't have any.

So I asked for a supervisor, he then transferred me to the "customer relations dept" which "had more authority" and I spoke with a similar-sounding gentleman named "Zack".

So he mentioned the 55HX800 again, and I told him that I had a discussion online about this and some were getting the 60" model offered (of the NX810). He then immediately said, yes we can do that but he wanted to check on stock for that. I was fine with that, so it took him about 5-10 minutes and he came back, verified my info and the price ($1100 + tax).

So now I'm getting the 60NX810, and the escalation process was smooth. I didn't yell and scream, just stated my dissatisfaction with the process.

Moral of the story, if you're waiting on a 55NX810 and don't want to wait until May - call now!

Although expensive, you're the first that I know of who's gotten the 60" I think you're very lucky. I wonder if they'll ever get any more 55" NX810's? And if not, what they might be offering then. It's good you didn't take the HX800 ESPECIALLY for only $80 less.

Good Luck and let us know when you get it....which should be really quick now since you said they have them in stock.

I wonder if all the problems in Japan will affect shipments of TV's....I didn't even look to see, maybe they're making them in China now.
post #3415 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Although expensive, you're the first that I know of who's gotten the 60" I think you're very lucky. I wonder if they'll ever get any more 55" NX810's? And if not, what they might be offering then. It's good you didn't take the HX800 ESPECIALLY for only $80 less.

Good Luck and let us know when you get it....which should be really quick now since you said they have them in stock.

I wonder if all the problems in Japan will affect shipments of TV's....I didn't even look to see, maybe they're making them in China now.

I've seen others here get the 60" but not many. Hopefully they aren't still jerking me around, because I still do not see a charge as of yet. But, I'll give them a little time on that.

Yeah, the Japan triple-whammy probably has a lot to do with it. Production may be ramping up in China then, or Malaysia, or Mexico, or wherever it's cheap.
post #3416 of 3633
It's interesting that the a2020 people don't seem to be getting the 60" nx810 as an offer, because I know the a2000 people seem to be. (I was, mine was a 50a2000.). I got the same offer that uiucbubs got in his post over in the a2000 thread, including the 60 nx810 for $1100. I didn't really want to spend quite that much to replace a tv right now, so with with the 55hx800.
post #3417 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post

It's interesting that the a2020 people don't seem to be getting the 60" nx810 as an offer, because I know the a2000 people seem to be. (I was, mine was a 50a2000.). I got the same offer that uiucbubs got in his post over in the a2000 thread, including the 60 nx810 for $1100. I didn't really want to spend quite that much to replace a tv right now, so with with the 55hx800.

Yeah, I don't why that is - yours is the older model as well. They give A2000 owners 5 different options, and they give A2020 owners two options. Or, really only one REAL option since the 55NX810 is out.

Why did you go with the HX800 instead of the EX710 at like half the price if you wanted to save money? I think that's the better deal, unless you REALLY want 3D/240Hz?
post #3418 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post

It's interesting that the a2020 people don't seem to be getting the 60" nx810 as an offer, because I know the a2000 people seem to be. (I was, mine was a 50a2000.). I got the same offer that uiucbubs got in his post over in the a2000 thread, including the 60 nx810 for $1100. I didn't really want to spend quite that much to replace a tv right now, so with with the 55hx800.


I think because the 60" NX810 sells for so much more than the 55", the $1100 they want is a better deal. If I added $1100 to what I paid for the 60A2020 the total would be about $3400. So you could just pretend you never bought the A2020 and paid on the high side for a 60" NX810.
post #3419 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

I think because the 60" NX810 sells for so much more than the 55", the $1100 they want is a better deal. If I added $1100 to what I paid for the 60A2020 the total would be about $3400. So you could just pretend you never bought the A2020 and paid on the high side for a 60" NX810.

Well, OneCall (one of the only online vendors I trust for TVs) has it for $42xx, so the cost of my 55A2020 was $1870 or so plus the $1210 for the 60NX810, I'm getting it for a little over a $1k off the price - or about $1k off if you want to subtract the cost of the free 3d kit.
post #3420 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Borvio View Post


They give A2000 owners 5 different options, and they give A2020 owners two options. Or, really only one REAL option since the 55NX810 is out.

Do you know that they are giving A2000 customers 5 different option NOW. I know that because the A2000 is the oldest and was the first to exhibit the problem, they have changed the models and number of choices over time, but I don't believe that they were offered anything better than what they offered the A2020 owners though.

I my opinion the XBR model owners were damaged the most because of the high cost to begin with, which is why they have some model offers to them that are free.

In any event, Sony is just pleased that they can do anything with ALL model owners since when you accept an offer you are releasing them from any future claims on the RP SXRD model you had. That would mean that if they found out that SXRD causes brain cancer, you couldn't sue them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread