or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 117

post #3481 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb2599 View Post

So, has anybody out there managed to sell their 60A2020? I see several SXRD's on Craigs List, but no 60A2020's.

Even if I "could manage" to sell my 60A2020, I could never sleep again thinking about the poor victim stupid enough to buy it. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that don't have a clue about the problems with Sony's SXRD optical blocks, but it just isn't right to sell these TV's to anyone unless you first explain the problem and after knowing the details they're STILL interested in buying it.
post #3482 of 3633
My 55" SXRD is in my bedroom now. I will not have a problem seeing anything on this tv! Green blob or not!! It will probably sit unused most of the time. All of my viewing is in the living room. One plus to all this, I was able to donate my "very old" Mitsubishi 32" tube tv to a local vet charity organization. Next year I'm eligable for my 20 yr award with my company and they offer an LCD tv as one of the rewards (32? or 40?, not sure) Then I will probably offer my hardly used bulb for sale.

The new NX810 is amazing in everyway. My moms visiting now so I can't really "have fun" with my system.

Jeff
post #3483 of 3633
Hello all,

I just had my KDS 50 A2020 go green on me (and not the kind thats "good"). its under warranty through mack, but doing a google search i guess another option is to have Sony replace the set, here is the problem.

i have a 48.5" corner that it could fit in:

i could either:

HAve MACK come over and fix it, and HOPE that it is too expensive to fix and they offer a replacement (anyone know how much these ob' are to "fix"). i would then probably get a 51" sammy plasma

Sony only offering 40ex720 for $50 , 46bx421 for free and 55ex710 for $250
should i "beg" sony for a better deal (also i dont think they have a 50" in their lineup)

for those who took sony up on their offer, did they take your old set away OR did you get to keep the old set

thanks for all replies
post #3484 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07pilot4me View Post
Hello all,

I just had my KDS 50 A2020 go green on me (and not the kind thats "good"). its under warranty through mack, but doing a google search i guess another option is to have Sony replace the set, here is the problem.

i have a 48.5" corner that it could fit in:

i could either:

HAve MACK come over and fix it, and HOPE that it is too expensive to fix and they offer a replacement (anyone know how much these ob' are to "fix"). i would then probably get a 51" sammy plasma

Sony only offering 40ex720 for $50 , 46bx421 for free and 55ex710 for $250
should i "beg" sony for a better deal (also i dont think they have a 50" in their lineup)

for those who took sony up on their offer, did they take your old set away OR did you get to keep the old set

thanks for all replies
Do it separately. I had your exact scenario with my 55a2020. Mack gave me the offer of $1000 and they would take the tv OR $800 and I could keep it. I kept mine and they sent me a check for $800.

Then I went to Sony and got a 60ex700 for $500 and sold it for $1500 on craigslist. I had $1800 cash in hand and bought a 59" plasma and I still have my 55a2020.
post #3485 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtbone View Post

Do it separately. I had your exact scenario with my 55a2020. Mack gave me the offer of $1000 and they would take the tv OR $800 and I could keep it. I kept mine and they sent me a check for $800.

Then I went to Sony and got a 60ex700 for $500 and sold it for $1500 on craigslist. I had $1800 cash in hand and bought a 59" plasma and I still have my 55a2020.

so sony just sent the replacement tv without you havin to ship the old one. was it a hassle dealing with Mack, was Macks price offer a take it or leave it or was there haggling involved. thanks for the feedback.

any others out there that Sony let keep their tv's

curious to see what Mack will offer since i have a 50" TV as opposed to your 55"
post #3486 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07pilot4me View Post

so sony just sent the replacement tv without you havin to ship the old one. was it a hassle dealing with Mack, was Macks price offer a take it or leave it or was there haggling involved. thanks for the feedback.

any others out there that Sony let keep their tv's

curious to see what Mack will offer since i have a 50" TV as opposed to your 55"

Sony DOES NOT want your old TV. However, there are a few things that you'll have to do before they "make you an offer". You will have to take a picture of the TV screen showing the problem and put a piece of paper in the picture showing the date. I believe you also have to remove the serial number tag and mail it to them. I emailed them the picture to save time.

A few days later you should receive an offer from them.

As for Mack, you can do whatever you can with them.

P.S. What model do you have since you said it was 50"? Is it an A2000 or A2020?
post #3487 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

Sony DOES NOT want your old TV. However, there are a few things that you'll have to do before they "make you an offer". You will have to take a picture of the TV screen showing the problem and put a piece of paper in the picture showing the date. I believe you also have to remove the serial number tag and mail it to them. I emailed them the picture to save time.

A few days later you should receive an offer from them.

As for Mack, you can do whatever you can with them.

P.S. What model do you have since you said it was 50"? Is it an A2000 or A2020?

its a 50a2020. i already got the offer it was emailed to me as well. had a one week expiration date on it. i guess i can have mack take a look and see what their offer is.
post #3488 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07pilot4me View Post

its a 50a2020. i already got the offer it was emailed to me as well. had a one week expiration date on it. i guess i can have mack take a look and see what their offer is.

I guess I was confused by your post. I thought you were asking IF Sony lets you keep the TV, so I didn't realize that you already had the new TV. Like I said, Sony sure doesn't want the old one.

Which TV did you get from Sony?
post #3489 of 3633
actually, i was confused by your question. i still have the damaged tv, i am STILL deciding if i want to accept the sony offer. I will have mack warranty look at the TV and see if they offer me a dollar amount i lieu of fixing the TV. hope that makes it clear
post #3490 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07pilot4me View Post

actually, i was confused by your question. i still have the damaged tv, i am STILL deciding if i want to accept the sony offer. I will have mack warranty look at the TV and see if they offer me a dollar amount i lieu of fixing the TV. hope that makes it clear

Okay, I think I understand, you have an offer but HAVEN'T made a decision. While I don't know, I would assume that Mack would take the TV if they make you a cash offer.

Maybe you can accept the Sony offer and STILL have Mack replace the OB under your extended warranty? That way you can get a new TV amd still use the A2020.
post #3491 of 3633
.........and that was why i wondered if sony wanted their tv back
post #3492 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07pilot4me View Post

.........and that was why i wondered if sony wanted their tv back

Sony definitely DOES NOT want it back, but, I don't know about MACK.
post #3493 of 3633
Great thread everyone, had to join to say Thanks and try to get my replacement started.

I have a KDS-55A2020 that has had a green 'hue' that can be seen on all inputs and channels. I noticed it during the last NHL season when the white ice looked more like a golf course....I sent in an email today to Sony Listens and I posted a message on the facebook page. I hope I hear back soon and get a decent replacement option. I am happy with the 55" size, so I was wondering about the best replacement option. I was also wondering on the differences between these 2 models, since it seems other have been offered them:
KDL-55HX820 vs. KDL-55HX729
I compared them on the Sony site and the specs were almost the same, so what is the main difference and would the 820 be worth the extra $300, if its offered? Just wondering what people think, or is it better to save money and go for the 729, if offered? Thanks for all the info so far, crossing my fingers....
post #3494 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddleD View Post

Great thread everyone, had to join to say Thanks and try to get my replacement started.

I have a KDS-55A2020 that has had a green 'hue' that can be seen on all inputs and channels. I noticed it during the last NHL season when the white ice looked more like a golf course....I sent in an email today to Sony Listens and I posted a message on the facebook page. I hope I hear back soon and get a decent replacement option. I am happy with the 55" size, so I was wondering about the best replacement option. I was also wondering on the differences between these 2 models, since it seems other have been offered them:
KDL-55HX820 vs. KDL-55HX729
I compared them on the Sony site and the specs were almost the same, so what is the main difference and would the 820 be worth the extra $300, if its offered? Just wondering what people think, or is it better to save money and go for the 729, if offered? Thanks for all the info so far, crossing my fingers....

You probably won't be offered an HX series as a replacement. However, if you don't, contact Sonylistens via e-mail with a couple of models that you would be interested in and why. You will most likely receive a price offer for them. I asked for additional 55" models and received three additional offers. I chose the HX820 primarily because I think it looks better because of the single sheet of glass frameless design. If you have a Best Buy or some other electronics store close by, go look at them in person. My Best Buy did not have an HX820, however the NX720 is built the same way and it is absolutely beautiful. I compared it to one of the framed models (an EX I think) which is built like the 729 and in my mind the 820 was too good to pass up. Mine should be arriving late this week or early next week. I can't wait!
post #3495 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBek View Post

You probably won't be offered an HX series as a replacement. However, if you don't, contact Sonylistens via e-mail with a couple of models that you would be interested in and why. You will most likely receive a price offer for them. I asked for additional 55" models and received three additional offers. I chose the HX820 primarily because I think it looks better because of the single sheet of glass frameless design. If you have a Best Buy or some other electronics store close by, go look at them in person. My Best Buy did not have an HX820, however the NX720 is built the same way and it is absolutely beautiful. I compared it to one of the framed models (an EX I think) which is built like the 729 and in my mind the 820 was too good to pass up. Mine should be arriving late this week or early next week. I can't wait!

Ok, thanks for the advice. I hope I hear back from Sony soon, maybe I should resend my email, how long does it usually take for the first replay? I may not have had the correct subject line or something...
post #3496 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddleD View Post
Ok, thanks for the advice. I hope I hear back from Sony soon, maybe I should resend my email, how long does it usually take for the first replay? I may not have had the correct subject line or something...
My reply was within a day, however I know from reading posts that several of the Sony listens staff are out this week on vacation. It may take a little longer because of this.
post #3497 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaBek View Post

My reply was within a day, however I know from reading posts that several of the Sony listens staff are out this week on vacation. It may take a little longer because of this.

Ok, got my email today and made my call. I was only offered 2 models to choose from:
KDL-46BX421 - Free
KDL-55EX710 - $250

So, I know for sure I don't want the 46", I want to keep my 55" size, so my only option offered was the KDL-55EX710, which appears to be discontinued on the Sony site. What do people think about the 55EX710, is it decent enough, or should I try and go for the better models like KDL-55HX729 or KDL55NX810? I asked about other models, but they said only those 2 above are available. So, should I wait a week and try again? If it was only a few hundred more, I would rather have something like the KDL-55HX729, which is 240hz as opposed to 120hz. What do people think?
post #3498 of 3633
^^^ email them with a specific model, back up your argument and see what they offer. worked for me, i had an offer for a 40ex720 and asked for a 46ex720 that was not initially offered. they offered it to me for 150+ tax
post #3499 of 3633
5 weeks ago today I posted here about my 60 KDSA2020 dieing on me. I thought I was fine since I was still under a 5 year Sonystyle warranty but it's been 5 weeks of waiting. A tech came out and said the whole board was toast. He submitted it to Sony but they took almost 3 weeks to decide if they wanted to pay to fix it. Finally they agreed and he came back today, installed the new one and nothing. He was on the phone with Sony and they said a couple more parts must be replaced. What a piece of crap these tvs are. First my lamps burn out in just over 500 hours then my ballast went out last year and now they can't even figure how to fix it. I'll probably be waiting another 3 weeks for them to decide if they want to sink ever more into this lemon. Now I'm hoping my optical block goes out before the warranty expires in 2012 because there is no way this tv won't have problems given it's track record so far. Sony used to stand for quality but not any more so this is the last Sony tv I'll buy.
post #3500 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauser View Post

5 weeks ago today I posted here about my 60 KDSA2020 dieing on me. I thought I was fine since I was still under a 5 year Sonystyle warranty but it's been 5 weeks of waiting. A tech came out and said the whole board was toast. He submitted it to Sony but they took almost 3 weeks to decide if they wanted to pay to fix it. Finally they agreed and he came back today, installed the new one and nothing. He was on the phone with Sony and they said a couple more parts must be replaced. What a piece of crap these tvs are. First my lamps burn out in just over 500 hours then my ballast went out last year and now they can't even figure how to fix it. I'll probably be waiting another 3 weeks for them to decide if they want to sink ever more into this lemon. Now I'm hoping my optical block goes out before the warranty expires in 2012 because there is no way this tv won't have problems given it's track record so far. Sony used to stand for quality but not any more so this is the last Sony tv I'll buy.

Keep all your paperwork and keep all event numbers. You will need them later!
post #3501 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07pilot4me View Post

^^^ email them with a specific model, back up your argument and see what they offer. worked for me, i had an offer for a 40ex720 and asked for a 46ex720 that was not initially offered. they offered it to me for 150+ tax

Ok, that's what I did, I submitted to other models and I'm waiting to hear back about them. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a better TV, so I hope they respond positively.

EDIT: New Response today:
"Thank you again for contacting Sonylistens.
I am currently able to offer you the KDL55HX729 for a price of $570.00 + any applicable taxes and KDL55NX810 for a price of $651.00 + any applicable taxes."

Now to decide which one I like better for the price...anyone have an opinion on either model above?
post #3502 of 3633
Guys,
Does the NX Gorrilla glass screen have more, less or about the same reflection as the matte screen?
I have 55EX720 and 55NX720 as two options.
I'd rather go with the NX everything else being equal.
If the NX has more reflection, things are not equal!
My location needs a low reflection screen.
Thanks,
nw
post #3503 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post

Guys,
Does the NX Gorrilla glass screen have more, less or about the same reflection as the matte screen?
I have 55EX720 and 55NX720 as two options.
I'd rather go with the NX everything else being equal.
If the NX has more reflection, things are not equal!
My location needs a low reflection screen.
Thanks,
nw

I have the 60EX720. It has a "semi-matte" screen. It has a little more reflection than the rear projection sets we are replacing. From what I have read, the Gorrilla glass screen is highly reflective, no matte finish.
post #3504 of 3633
I'm losing the picture on my tv. The screen goes black and the picture comes back after about 10-15 seconds. Tv stays on. It is not turning off.

Please help! Thank you!
post #3505 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post

I'm losing the picture on my tv. The screen goes black and the picture comes back after about 10-15 seconds. Tv stays on. It is not turning off.

Please help! Thank you!

This seems to be the symptoms of a lamp that needs to be replaced. I would look into that and find the correct replacement model.
post #3506 of 3633
I'm happy to say that I got my replacement TV yesterday, the KDL55HX729, and its great so far. The picture is nice and I love all the feature, even though there are so many menu's and options to look over and find things. But I like the little extras, and the best one for me is the built in DLNA, so I can stream HD movies directly to my TV from my Twonky media server without anything else is great. Now I don't need my PS3 anymore heh.....
post #3507 of 3633
Sony Style must have taken care of most everyone on this thread now.
2 weeks and no new posts.
Just moved over the 55SXRD 2020 off the stand and put the 55 NX720 on the stand.
I was concerned the gorilla glass screen would be too reflective, but had determined it would be easier to deal with the reflections than deal with a TV (different model, matte finish) that had a lesser quality picture.
Reflections are almost non-existent on first viewing.
Also, I really did not appreciate how much the SXRD picture had deteriorated until I could see if side by side with the NX720.
nw
post #3508 of 3633
I value the info you guys provide greatly, so I will at least provide my first post on this forum!
I received correspondence from SonyListens regarding my 2 optical block failures on my 50a2020. They have given me the option of a 46EX500 at no cost, or a 55EX500 for $200. Guess i have some time (1 week) to sit on it before I pull the trigger. Decisions, decisions.
post #3509 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_eternal View Post

I value the info you guys provide greatly, so I will at least provide my first post on this forum!
I received correspondence from SonyListens regarding my 2 optical block failures on my 50a2020. They have given me the option of a 46EX500 at no cost, or a 55EX500 for $200. Guess i have some time (1 week) to sit on it before I pull the trigger. Decisions, decisions.

do your research and if you are OK take it.
If not, pick out a couple better models and ask for them.
might be more $$ but much better TV.
Check the NX models and the 720 series of the EX.

They have room to move and it depends on what shows on their screen at any time, and (I think) who you talk to.

nw
post #3510 of 3633
Hi everyone. My KDS 60A2020 I purchased in 2007 has finally succomed to optic block failure. The upper half of my screen has a yellow/green tinge to it. It started off just a little but is now very noticable. I am sending a e-mail to Sonylistens in hopes they are still offering replacement TVs for a reduced cost. I was debating sending the optic block in for repair and getting who knows what life from it. I would rather replace the TV and move on. It's good to see they are still making offers, hope I get something decent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread