or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 14

post #391 of 3633
Alan,

Sorry, sometimes it's hard to keep up, did you get your new replacement A2020 yet?

Just curious.
post #392 of 3633
So I get home and my wife tells me the tv won't even turn on anymore. Sounds like the same problem krisjan was having. Now, the power led is flashing red (5 times) and the set won't even turn on anymore. I called Sony for support, and the only thing they had me do was unplug the tv (from my surge protector), leave it off for 2 minutes for the tv to reset, and plug directly into the wall. Same issue. So I called Circuit City back and they're ordering me another new unit since this is less than 30 days from purchase.

So far, I have loved this tv while it was working, and that was just in SD. Was supposed to have HD cable box installed tomorrow. I hope I get a good, working tv with none of the green tint issues (I had no picture quality issues to complain of).

I'll keep everyone posted. I'm guessing around a week for the new tv to arrive.
post #393 of 3633
Sounds like it's a lamp issue (with the 5 flashes), but if you're getting a new set out of it... more power to ya!
post #394 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Well much to my surprise Sony said since my A-2000 was bought in September, they will send me a new A-2020 at no extra charge. I didn't even have to argue about it. So I have to say they have treated me well in this matter. Now to all the gods of SXRD, please pray I get a green and pink haze free model. Now I can join the 2020 club.

Alan,

Once again congratulations and good luck on getting an excellent performing A2020. You really deserve it since you've worked so hard on getting your issues resolved with Sony.

Now can I also come over to the A2020 thread if I get a can of black spray paint and spray the cabinet of my A2000 black?
post #395 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenk15 View Post

First time poster here. Ordered the KDS-50A2020 last week, and took delivery on Tuesday. Got everything setup, but for now just running on SD through digital cable. Cable company coming out tomorrow to upgrade me to HD.

One problem surfaced last night, however, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any insight. The video went out on the tv, but we still had audio. I suspect this has something to do with bulb overheating. After turning power to the unit off and letting it sit for a few minutes (usually I'd wait until I could hear the fan turn off), I could power back on and the picture was back. This happened ~3 times last night, and again this morning, but did not happen at all on Tuesday night or while my wife was home Wednesday during the day.

Anything I can do/check for myself? Or do I need to contact the retailer I purchased from to get me another unit?

Thanks in advance.........

One easy thing you might try....Take the lamp out and put it back in..it might have come loose or just may not have got a seat.. just make sure the set has cooled down for about a half hour before you try and check it..
post #396 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled View Post

Alan,

Sorry, sometimes it's hard to keep up, did you get your new replacement A2020 yet?

Just curious.

Not yet. Supposed to come mid to late next week. Not a big deal since the old one still works. I just hope they send me a good one!
post #397 of 3633
Why is the shipping weight of the 50' 2020 almost double that of the 50' 2000 on amazon.com?
post #398 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozirry View Post

Why is the shipping weight of the 50' 2020 almost double that of the 50' 2000 on amazon.com?

It's got more digital in it.

(Seriously... one of them is probably just wrong.)
post #399 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozirry View Post

Why is the shipping weight of the 50' 2020 almost double that of the 50' 2000 on amazon.com?

They are making a 50 foot model now? Dang, that is a BIG screen. What size is your viewing room?
post #400 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunder View Post

It's component video and on progressive scan. I'm not sure exactly what is going on but the only connection I can make is that they are the only devices I have that aren't running on the TV's native resolution? Perhaps the scaler isn't functioning properly?

I wish I could help but I really don't understand what could be causing the problem. I just plugged in my component cables, changed the settings on the Wii for the new screen (16:9, etc.) and then started to play a game. The system asked me if I wanted to use progressive scan and I accepted...then everything looked good to me.

I hope you work it out or someone else can help with the issue.
post #401 of 3633
How are the vertical viewing angles on the A2020?

I'm STRONGLY considering getting one, but I'd have to raise it up so that the center of the screen (not the entire TV, just the screen) is about 8-10" above eye level. Is that okay?

I only sit about 7' away from the TV, so 8-10" is significant (in terms of what direction I'm looking).
post #402 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerman View Post

How are the vertical viewing angles on the A2020?

I'm STRONGLY considering getting one, but I'd have to raise it up so that the center of the screen (not the entire TV, just the screen) is about 8-10" above eye level. Is that okay?

Mine is on a stand that is about 24 inches high. It is not ideal height, but certainly acceptable. I imagine you would be fine. How far away are you sitting from the tv?
post #403 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerman View Post

How are the vertical viewing angles on the A2020?

I'm STRONGLY considering getting one, but I'd have to raise it up so that the center of the screen (not the entire TV, just the screen) is about 8-10" above eye level. Is that okay?

You should be fine with that. I sit on the floor sometimes and it still looks good. You could obviously go to a retailer and test it out. I think these TVs are pretty impressive on off angle viewing performance
post #404 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Mine is on a stand that is about 24 inches high. It is not ideal height, but certainly acceptable. I imagine you would be fine. How far away are you sitting from the tv?

I only sit about 7' away from the TV, so 8-10" is significant (in terms of what direction I'm looking).
post #405 of 3633
I had the Samsung HL-S xx87 series before my A2020, and I think the Sony has noticeably better vertical viewing angles. The Sammy really looked like crap when I stood up-- not so with the Sony.
post #406 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerman View Post

I only sit about 7' away from the TV, so 8-10" is significant (in terms of what direction I'm looking).

I sit about 7.5 feet away and mine is on the Sony stanad (I believe it's 19" high) and strongly suggest you test it out at a retailer. I think that 8 to 10 inches might be getting close to a change in picture when you're sitting that close.

Or, of course, you could just get a taller stand!
post #407 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanerman View Post

How are the vertical viewing angles on the A2020?

I'm STRONGLY considering getting one, but I'd have to raise it up so that the center of the screen (not the entire TV, just the screen) is about 8-10" above eye level. Is that okay?

I'm a video editor, and use the 50A2020 as my "room" monitor (not PQ monitor - that's done by a Sony broadcast monitor that sits on the desk), and as such, it needed to be raised WAY up so that the bottom of the screen cleared all the computer monitors on my edit desk. I have the rear of the set raised about 1" to add some forward tilt. So from my editing chair, the bottom of the screen is at eye level, and I only sit about 3.5' from the screen. At this angle, there is definitely fall-off, though while noticeable, I wouldn't call it horrible. The "proper" viewing seats for the 2020 range from about 7' to 10' from the screen, and from there, with the added tilt, the display is just amazing. EXTREMELY happy. BTW, I did call Sony & asked if it was OK to tilt the 2020, and they said NP.
post #408 of 3633
Circuit City called to let me know they received the tv. They were really good about the exchange. Got the new one home and setup, and so far, so good. Now I just need to make another appointment with the cable company to come out and give me an HD cable box.

I'll keep you updated if I have any other issues. SD picture quality looks good on this tv also. No green blob or tint to speak of. Fingers crossed..........
post #409 of 3633
Which set has had the least problems between the A2020 and XBR2?
post #410 of 3633
22 Days in on my KDS55A2020 and could not be happier with the unit. Purchased from CC using a BrandsMart PM and AAA 10% discount.
I'm about 9' away and the size is fine.
I ran my Comcast cable directly into the digital tuner and am really enjoying HDTV. Watched a Magician on David Letterman the other night and could see the strings he was using to move a deck of cards around.

Home theater is based on HDMI out from my new Sony DVD into a Sony STRDG1000 with 7.1 then out to TV's HDMI input. Picture and sound is fantastic.

I went for the MACK 3 year + bulb for $210. (Heck, a bulb cost 200+ - why not . . .)

I have ordered the AVIA guide and am looking forward to hours of home calibration.

Issues - The manual is fairly incomplete. The Menu seem a bit hard to use. Wish it had a scan function to move thru the channels.
post #411 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason One View Post

I joined the A2020 club today! A new Fry's just opened near me, and they've had some crazy grand opening sales. They had a sale on the A2020s which I only found out about this morning, the day it was ending! All three sizes were discounted, and the 60" on sale was less than the regular price of the 50". I decided it would be crazy to go with anything but the 60", and luckily I got the last one they had. I've had my eye on these SXRDs for a while now, so this was the perfect opportunity I've been waiting for.

I probably won't get it set up until this weekend because of all the work that it will entail (especially moving out my 34XBR960 -- what a nightmare that will be), but I'm really excited to have it. Can't wait to see how Blu-ray looks on it. Now I need to get that 1080p Oppo...

Glad to hear you got a good deal! I feel for you in having to move that tube set! I had a 36 inch flat tube Sony from 1999. Weight was 225 pounds and all in the front. Scary thing to move. I gave it to a buddy with the condition that I NEVER want to be asked to move it again.LOL Still had a better pic on standard def than any of these new sets though.
post #412 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason One View Post

I joined the A2020 club today! A new Fry's just opened near me, and they've had some crazy grand opening sales. They had a sale on the A2020s which I only found out about this morning, the day it was ending! All three sizes were discounted, and the 60" on sale was less than the regular price of the 50". I decided it would be crazy to go with anything but the 60", and luckily I got the last one they had. I've had my eye on these SXRDs for a while now, so this was the perfect opportunity I've been waiting for.

I probably won't get it set up until this weekend because of all the work that it will entail (especially moving out my 34XBR960 -- what a nightmare that will be), but I'm really excited to have it. Can't wait to see how Blu-ray looks on it. Now I need to get that 1080p Oppo...

Congratulations! I am sure you will be quite happy with it. I wouldn't rush out for the Oppo though. I returned mine. IMO If I were you I would save some money and if you really want an upconvert player maybe get the Sony NS75H for less than half the price. I don't think there is enough of a difference to justify the price
post #413 of 3633
I too have just joined the A2020 club. I got a really good deal on the 60" as well. I'm coming from an HP 58" DLP and, I must say initial impressions are phenomenal; none of the build quality issues (no surprise there) that the HP had are present on the SXRD. Overall, the image seems to have a lot more "pop" to it as well. Not to mention I gained 2".
post #414 of 3633
Posted this on the other A2000 forum as well... I was wondering if anyone had problems connecting their PS3 w HDMI and getting a 1080p signal? Any issues with gaming in particular? I've been looking into the new Samsung LCDs and they are having all kinds of HDMI issues (flickering, dropouts, etc). Thanks!
post #415 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeblez View Post

Congratulations! I am sure you will be quite happy with it. I wouldn't rush out for the Oppo though. I returned mine. IMO If I were you I would save some money and if you really want an upconvert player maybe get the Sony NS75H for less than half the price. I don't think there is enough of a difference to justify the price

The Oppo DV-981HD sells for $229.99 on Amazon. It is region free and does some of the best upconversion on the market. It has received rave reviews. If you think that $229.99 is too expensive then you are really cheap.
post #416 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Karlinski View Post

If you think that $229.99 is too expensive then you are really cheap.

...Or you're swayed by your own eyes instead of others' reviews. Trying to paint people on this forum with such a broad brush is a bad idea. $229.99 isn't all that much money. However, when you consider that you can get a Toshiba A2, an upconverting player that also plays HD-DVD's, for not much more money... then that $229.99 is too expensive. (Also, there's some great Pioneer HDMI upconverting region-free players available for around $180... I use one with a 1080p SXRD and it does a pristine job.)
post #417 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Strube View Post

...Or you're swayed by your own eyes instead of others' reviews. Trying to paint people on this forum with such a broad brush is a bad idea. $229.99 isn't all that much money. However, when you consider that you can get a Toshiba A2, an upconverting player that also plays HD-DVD's, for not much more money... then that $229.99 is too expensive. (Also, there's some great Pioneer HDMI upconverting region-free players available for around $180... I use one with a 1080p SXRD and it does a pristine job.)

Wrong! Under no objective criteria can $229.99 be considered expensive for a multi-region upconverting DVD player. Further, it is dishonest to compare an upconverting DVD player with an HD-DVD player. The two have nothing in common as they cater to different customers. Finally, I did not attack someone else's preference for a particular player. I stated a fact that anyone who considers the Oppo to be expensive is cheap. A Denon is expensive. Those are just cold hard facts.

By the way, I own an Oppo DV-981HD and it can play some DVD's at near HD quality. So, I do believe my own eyes.
post #418 of 3633
Edward, this is all personal opinion. Mine is no more "wrong" than yours. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Karlinski View Post

I stated a fact that anyone who considers the Oppo to be expensive is cheap. A Denon is expensive. Those are just cold hard facts.

For someone who currently makes minimum wage, $229.99 might be quite a bit when they can get arguably comparable functionality for $50 less (or more). It could also be quite a bit for someone who is planning ahead, and might think that spending that much money on a DVD player that doesn't support either of the next-gen formats might be not the best investment right now. An opinion is not "cold hard facts."
post #419 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Strube View Post

Edward, this is all personal opinion. Mine is no more "wrong" than yours. Sorry.


For someone who currently makes minimum wage, $229.99 might be quite a bit when they can get arguably comparable functionality for $50 less (or more). It could also be quite a bit for someone who is planning ahead, and might think that spending that much money on a DVD player that doesn't support either of the next-gen formats might be not the best investment right now. An opinion is not "cold hard facts."

That is a ridiculous statement. Your argument is dishonest as minimum wage earners are not the norm. They are a strawman for you to use to bolster your silly position. It is an objective fact, as well as my opinion, that $229.99 is an inexpensive price for an upconverting DVD player since one can purchase a Denon DVD-5910Ci on Amazon for $3799.99. That is expensive.
Your second point is also ludicrous as we are discussing an upconverting DVD player and not HD format players. Your reference to HD format is dishonest as it attempts to take focus off of DVD players.
Finally, opinions can equal cold hard facts when they are based on objective analysis of facts. An opinion is merely a stated belief. It may or may not be factual, however you seem to believe that nothing is a fact since everything which anyone states publicly is, by definition, an opinion. I am really tired of this silly "everything is an opinion" attitude. It is designed to disallow any rational argumention, since any statement can be refuted by simply labelling it an opinion, with no need to actually address the statement on its merits.
post #420 of 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Karlinski View Post

That is a ridiculous statement. Your argument is dishonest as minimum wage earners are not the norm. They are a strawman for you to use to bolster your silly position. It is an objective fact, as well as my opinion, that $229.99 is an inexpensive price for an upconverting DVD player since one can purchase a Denon DVD-5910Ci on Amazon for $3799.99. That is expensive.
Your second point is also ludicrous as we are discussing an upconverting DVD player and not HD format players. Your reference to HD format is dishonest as it attempts to take focus off of DVD players.
Finally, opinions can equal cold hard facts when they are based on objective analysis of facts. An opinion is merely a stated belief. It may or may not be factual, however you seem to believe that nothing is a fact since everything which anyone states publicly is, by definition, an opinion. I am really tired of this silly "everything is an opinion" attitude. It is designed to disallow any rational argumention, since any statement can be refuted by simply labelling it an opinion, with no need to actually address the statement on its merits.

Really? So the fact that you can in fact purchase a region-free HDMI upconverting DVD player for not too much over $50, still doesn't make one that costs $230 a bit expensive? (You can argue all you like about different upconversion methods like Faroudja, but that's another thing that comes down to personal taste.) You can also argue all you like about Denon's that cost almost $4g, but that's not even within the buying power of most people who would be looking at something in the price range we're talking about. This is like saying a house for $500,000 is inexpensive because there's 10 million dollar mansions out there. You're saying my comparison to HD-DVD players isn't fair, when in fact your comparison to insanely high-end Denon's is not fair. An HD-DVD is, in fact, a viable DVD player, and in my mind a very fair comparison, because guess what - it plays DVD's! (With the ability to play the next-gen format as well.) It plays DVD's, and also upconverts them thru HDMI. How is that "ludicrous"?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2007 KDS-(XX)A2020 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread