or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › my front inwall speakers too close to wall?...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

my front inwall speakers too close to wall?...

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
are my left and right speakers too close to the wall?...

they are Triad Silver inwalls

there is about 112" between them to accomodate a screen

i plan on using acoustic treatments on the side walls for sure to help

it wouldnt be too tough to move the speaker in around 6" from the wall on each side if needed

thanks

brad
LL
post #2 of 39
Thread Starter 
here is another pic...the side walls i'm speaking of are two rooms located in the front of the theater....the room does open up more in the back
LL
post #3 of 39
i think they are too close to the wall and you should move them closer together as much as you can. if you leave them as is, i can guarantee you that you will regret it later. push them closer together!!!
post #4 of 39
Thread Starter 
i have included a crude drawing of my entire basement....i am somewhat limited by the design on what i can do with the front three speakers

i do think moving the left and right in about 6" is probably a good idea...

thanks again!
LL
post #5 of 39
I would consider building a screen wall out a couple of feet and using a Acoustic Transparent screen, and placing the speakers behind it. You do not seem to be lacking in depth of the room. The 6" doesn't seem like enough to remove the corner effects. You'll be able to have a wider screen too, and you'll also be able to place center right behind the screen.

Look up the SMX screen material the Ruben is helping everyone with. Very inexpensive.
post #6 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoeller View Post

I would consider building a screen wall out a couple of feet and using a Acoustic Transparent screen, and placing the speakers behind it. You do not seem to be lacking in depth of the room. The 6" doesn't seem like enough to remove the corner effects. You'll be able to have a wider screen too, and you'll also be able to place center right behind the screen.

Look up the SMX screen material the Ruben is helping everyone with. Very inexpensive.

i suppose this is still an option for me (building out the wall) but i had kind of decided i didn't want to do my center behind the screen for fear that i would give up some video quality for the convienance of not seeing a center speaker...to me, thats just not worth it

but maybe i was mis-informed...are the newer acoustic transparent screens that good?
post #7 of 39
Before modifying your design, I would suggest you contact the manufacturer of the speakers that you are using and get their opnion. Some speaker designs can be placed quite close to the wall.
post #8 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

Before modifying your design, I would suggest you contact the manufacturer of the speakers that you are using and get their opnion. Some speaker designs can be placed quite close to the wall.

hey mike

that's great advice

i sent a note off to Paul Scarpelli from Triad on this very subject...i'm sure he will get back to me soon
post #9 of 39
If you can't move them I would angel them inward. You could frame out your corners then cover the frame with drywall and insert your in-wall speakers in the newly chamfered corner.
post #10 of 39
I responded in a post here yesterday, but I sure don't see it.

Yes, the left and right are too close to the wall. Not only will you have a smear from the first reflections, but the left and right speakers will act like horns in those corners, and you'll have an elevated frequency response in the bass and lower midrange. If you can move them in 6", that will help a great deal, but you'll need fairly thick acoustical padding to kill first reflections.

Angling them in is not an option because the speaker mounts flush to the wall, and it needs the full 4" stud depth.

What I would have done is have all three speakers at the same height (tweeters at 40" - 44" off the floor), firing through an acoustically transparent screen, with the left and right also behind the screen, and 18" from the side walls. That's the right way to do it.
post #11 of 39
Thread Starter 
Paul

i think i will revisit the acoustic screen option...it will be really easy for me to move the left and right speakers in and get them 18" from the wall

any recomendations on screens to match up with the Triads?

thanks again

brad
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoeller View Post

I would consider building a screen wall out a couple of feet and using a Acoustic Transparent screen, and placing the speakers behind it. You do not seem to be lacking in depth of the room. The 6" doesn't seem like enough to remove the corner effects. You'll be able to have a wider screen too, and you'll also be able to place center right behind the screen.

Look up the SMX screen material the Ruben is helping everyone with. Very inexpensive.

I agree. In wall speakers are a severe compromise and impossible to setup properly because one can not test their performance and how they will interact with the room.
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitmore View Post

Paul

i think i will revisit the acoustic screen option...it will be really easy for me to move the left and right speakers in and get them 18" from the wall

any recomendations on screens to match up with the Triads?

thanks again

brad

I've been a fan of Stewart Filmscreen for years, but I use Screen Research in my theater. It's not perforated; it's a weave. Pixels on top of perforations can produce artifacts. Expect to pay a lot for a Screen Research screen, but expect unadulterated audio and a superb picture.
post #14 of 39
Thread Starter 
hey Paul

i will check out both screen companies

it's so nice to have a guy like you that works "in the business" at our disposal here on the forums...i hope you know it's much appreciated

thanks again

brad
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitmore View Post

hey Paul

i will check out both screen companies

it's so nice to have a guy like you that works "in the business" at our disposal here on the forums...i hope you know it's much appreciated

thanks again

brad

Good idea Brad. Be an informed consumer. That Stewart screen will be $$$. The SMX material is also not "perforated" its a weave. Not to seem like too much of a fan boy, the SMX stuff just is sooo much more affordable. If your a DIY'r type, I'd give it a whirl.

It also depends greatly on your seating distance. The closer you are the more you might see the openings in the weave. Just have to make sure your seating distances are ok. I forget the estimation for distance 1-1.5x screen width or is it diagonal. eh... something like that anyway.

I'm sure you'll see alot of testamonials about the SMX screen here.
post #16 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoeller View Post

Good idea Brad. Be an informed consumer. That Stewart screen will be $$$. The SMX material is also not "perforated" its a weave. Not to seem like too much of a fan boy, the SMX stuff just is sooo much more affordable. If your a DIY'r type, I'd give it a whirl.

It also depends greatly on your seating distance. The closer you are the more you might see the openings in the weave. Just have to make sure your seating distances are ok. I forget the estimation for distance 1-1.5x screen width or is it diagonal. eh... something like that anyway.

I'm sure you'll see alot of testamonials about the SMX screen here.

i think i will look into the SMX...i am a bit of a DIY'r so it might be a great option...i seem to remember that when i looked into acoustic trans screens in the past they were $3000-$5000...not sure what the SMX will cost but it might be worth a try

my seating distance will be about 15' from the screen
post #17 of 39
I can see the weave on my Screen Research screen if I'm about 6' away, but I never sit that close unless I want Nemo to scare the crapola outta me...

BTW, there are hardly any manufacturers left on this forum. I think they may have been chased off either by a rough crowd, or because they were shameless shills. I'm just a hobbyist like the rest of you, and I won't promote my brand unless someone asks about it, and even then, not at the expense of our (grossly inferior!) rivals.
post #18 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

I can see the weave on my Screen Research screen if I'm about 6' away, but I never sit that close unless I want Nemo to scare the crapola outta me...

BTW, there are hardly any manufacturers left on this forum. I think they may have been chased off either by a rough crowd, or because they were shameless shills. I'm just a hobbyist like the rest of you, and I won't promote my brand unless someone asks about it, and even then, not at the expense of our (grossly inferior!) rivals.

well, all i know is i read great things in a lot of places about TRIAD, but having your help really pushed me over the edge to pull the trigger on a full TRIAD system

now, hopefully it will sound good...
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitmore View Post

well, all i know is i read great things in a lot of places about TRIAD, but having your help really pushed me over the edge to pull the trigger on a full TRIAD system

now, hopefully it will sound good...

As long as your left and right fronts aren't stuffed into the corners, it will sound excellent. Let me know how things progress. Thanks for the great suggestions and comments from my Forum Bruthahs, too.
post #20 of 39
Thread Starter 
well, it looks like i'm gonna go with an acoustically transparent screen

i am in the process of moving those left and right speakers in and moving the center up...

a 110" screen is about 99" wide

if i do the speakers 32" apart (on center) will that be OK?...this way all three speakers would be about 80" total left to right

or should i space them out a bit more to get to around 90" total?...i can do this but it will involve some more framing...if you look at my pics you'll see what i mean....i hope...
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitmore View Post

well, it looks like i'm gonna go with an acoustically transparent screen

i am in the process of moving those left and right speakers in and moving the center up...

a 110" screen is about 99" wide

if i do the speakers 32" apart (on center) will that be OK?...this way all three speakers would be about 80" total left to right

or should i space them out a bit more to get to around 90" total?...i can do this but it will involve some more framing...if you look at my pics you'll see what i mean....i hope...

Move them around until you get a flat frequency response. A cheap SPL meter will get you close. Measurement obviously should be from the final seating position which, as a general rule, should be about two thirds of the room length.
post #22 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcott View Post

Move them around until you get a flat frequency response. A cheap SPL meter will get you close. Measurement obviously should be from the final seating position which, as a general rule, should be about two thirds of the room length.

i can't really do that as i'm going with TRIAD inwalls and this is all new construction...

maybe i need to decide exactly what screen i'm going with (or at least what size) and add the speakers accordingly...??

i guess my main question is if i put them on 32" centers will this now be too close together?...if i do spread them out it wont be by much (maybe 6" further apart?)because i have to fit them behind that screen that is about 99" wide
post #23 of 39
Thread Starter 
here's the newest pic with the adjustments i made today...

there is now 36" from the left and right speakers to each side wall

there is 18" between each speaker

all three speakers total about 78"

(the length of the wall is 12' 6" total)

a 100" screen is 90" wide

a 110" screen is 99" wide

again, if i have to i can do some framing adjustments and move them out a bit more...maybe now they're too close!?...
LL
post #24 of 39
Can you share what screen you ended up with and the approx price?
post #25 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_robyn View Post

Can you share what screen you ended up with and the approx price?

i haven't decided yet...

i need to speak to my HT guy and do some more research, but i think the good acoustically transparent screens can get pretty pricey

i guess it will also depend on which FP i go with...
post #26 of 39
Don't discount the importance of a good screen. My screen retails for double what my projector retails, but it enables me to place the front speakers correctly.
post #27 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Don't discount the importance of a good screen. My screen retails for double what my projector retails, but it enables me to place the front speakers correctly.

hey Paul

so what do you think of the speaker placement now?...

will this work for just about any screen i decide to go with?...

thanks again

brad
post #28 of 39
Looking at your picture again, you should have moved the left and right brackets into the adjacent stud spaces. From your description, you moved them over TWO spaces. They will be too close together, although it will work better than your original placement next to the wall.
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

BTW, there are hardly any manufacturers left on this forum. I think they may have been chased off either by a rough crowd, or because they were shameless shills. I'm just a hobbyist like the rest of you, and I won't promote my brand unless someone asks about it

It's easy to be magnanimous when the forum is full of satisfied customers that spread the word for you. Take a job with Bose, come back here, then we'll see if your attitude changes.
post #30 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Looking at your picture again, you should have moved the left and right brackets into the adjacent stud spaces. From your description, you moved them over TWO spaces. They will be too close together, although it will work better than your original placement next to the wall.

i originally was going to move them over one space...but if i do that the total of all three speakers will be approx 110"

from looking around it seems that a 100" diag screen is 90" wide and a 110" is 99" wide

see what i mean?...maybe i should move the left and right out about 6"-8" each and just plan on going with a 110" screen (or larger)

this would make my three speaker total about 90"-94"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › my front inwall speakers too close to wall?...