or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread II: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread II: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS - Page 8

post #211 of 842
All I know is that CSRs are typically a little less than clueless.

When I picked up our TVs, there was not a single sign in the store talking about the new warranty/returns policy. Costco, regardless of what their minions have to say, can't legally retroactively change their policy. Of course, the manager of the individual store isn't setting the world on fire with his mental prowess either. So, you may have a problem convincing him. If it happens, you may have to call corporate to get it resolved.
post #212 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themajickman View Post

Taking the set back to costco was not an option at this point because they are out of them. I did purchase the set before the new return policy went into effect so I am covered by the old policy. However, he did tell me that as far as he knew the new return policy was rolled out across the country completely on January 26, 2007. Not a staggered rollout that was on the memo that everybody referred to on this forum. According to that memo the Southeast was supposed to go into effect on April 2. It'll be interesting to see if they do honor anything purchased after the 26th of January across different parts of the country.

If it were me, I'd call corporate immediately and tell them you want an immediate exchange ASAP. Let them FAX or call the store mgr., etc. Let them do the damn footwork and ORDER you a new TV from one of their many warehouses. I would not wait one more day on this matter. Let them know you are unhappy and VERY inconvenienced by this experience, but at the same time remain cool, calm and collective when speaking to Costco's people.
post #213 of 842
Personally, I think it would be better to have Sharp repair the set under the Sharp warranty if at all possible over returning it to Costco for another one. Because as soon as you return it for another one, then you will also be under the more limited new return policy that they recently adopted.
post #214 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

but at the same time remain cool, calm and collective when speaking to Costco's people.

Costco's old return policy and new one are and have always been a "PRIVLAGE"!! Folks here believe they have a "RIGHT" but its never been.

I've seen Costco deny a return and they will do it when they think there right. Being polite will get you much ahead take heed from cajieboy here folks!
post #215 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themajickman View Post

I did purchase the set before the new return policy went into effect so I am covered by the old policy. However, he did tell me that as far as he knew the new return policy was rolled out across the country completely on January 26, 2007. Not a staggered rollout that was on the memo that everybody referred to on this forum. According to that memo the Southeast was supposed to go into effect on April 2. It'll be interesting to see if they do honor anything purchased after the 26th of January across different parts of the country.

god..more BS from managers and CSR people that dont know what theyre talking about.
post #216 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

Costco's old return policy and new one are and have always been a "PRIVLAGE"!! Folks here believe they have a "RIGHT" but its never been.

I've seen Costco deny a return and they will do it when they think there right. Being polite will get you much ahead take heed from cajieboy here folks!

Actually, it's an express warranty that Costco is required to honor. Show me a disclaimer of warranties.
post #217 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themajickman View Post

I purchased my Sharp LCD 52" at Costco (7028xx) and it has pretty significant banding issues that are visible during normal viewing. I called Costco Concierge service today and they bridged me on with Sharp customer service and I had a case opened. Taking the set back to costco was not an option at this point because they are out of them. I did purchase the set before the new return policy went into effect so I am covered by the old policy. However, he did tell me that as far as he knew the new return policy was rolled out across the country completely on January 26, 2007. Not a staggered rollout that was on the memo that everybody referred to on this forum. According to that memo the Southeast was supposed to go into effect on April 2. It'll be interesting to see if they do honor anything purchased after the 26th of January across different parts of the country.

Remember, you're dealing with one costco employee. And it sounds like it's a concierge CSR, not a store manager. This person either just doesn't understand or has dates confused. The memorandum dated Feb 8, 2007 says all California warehouses begin 2/26/07. That may be where this person got the 26th in his/her head.

In the NW, our Costco was right on schedule with the date in the memo of 3/12/07. New policy was posted all over the place with every TV box and every TV on display having a notice plastered on them. They have a new corner sticker they place in the upper right hand corner of all TV's on display.

I don't think anyone will have a problem unless a particular store manager gets too big a head. Then simply go to another store, come in on a different shift or call corporate.
post #218 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Personally, I think it would be better to have Sharp repair the set under the Sharp warranty if at all possible over returning it to Costco for another one. Because as soon as you return it for another one, then you will also be under the more limited new return policy that they recently adopted.

I also believe the best way to go was to have Sharp repair/replace the set under warranty. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that a replacement set will fix the problem based on the current posts in the Sharp owners thread. I decided to go ahead and go on record and open the case with sharp and Costco. So far it's been a painless process and, I can always hold off until Sharp (hopefully) fixes the banding problem once and for all and then have Costco swap out the set. Even though I will fall under the new return policy it's still better than the policies/warranties you get from anybody else.

The Costco consierge rep may not have known what he was talking about as far as the rollout of the new policy goes. I just wanted to pass along the information as a heads up to potential issues down the road.
post #219 of 842
Goob
Heres a link: http://www.bargaineering.com/article...rn-policy.html

Pay attention to ( "Hanks" post on March 28th 2006 7:40am ) he's a costco manager in the returns department.

I'm sure nobody can change your mind, but they can deny a return anytime they feel like it. But you could put Hank to his word and e-mail your membership# and you'll know for sure.
post #220 of 842
Yeah but I think Costco is putting people in this situation. I bought my tv before the new policy took effect. I also have banding that is noticeable in normal viewing. Although I don't see it all the time, it is distracting, and annoying, and especiallly when spending this much money. Anyway, I think if a person buys before the new policy and their set obviously has a problem, Costco should just do an even exchange, not a return and rebuy, so the person is still under the old policy.
post #221 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

Goob
Heres a link: http://www.bargaineering.com/article...rn-policy.html

Pay attention to ( "Hanks" post on March 28th 2006 7:40am ) he's a costco manager in the returns department.

I'm sure nobody can change your mind, but they can deny a return anytime they feel like it. But you could put Hank to his word and e-mail your membership# and you'll know for sure.

A store manager can't change the law.
post #222 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4P View Post

Anyway, I think if a person buys before the new policy and their set obviously has a problem, Costco should just do an even exchange, not a return and rebuy, so the person is still under the old policy.

You can think that all you want, but that's also not going make it happen...
If they were not doing simple exchanges before without a return/rebuy for a defect. They certainly are not going to start doing it now, just so someone can stay under the old unlimited return policy!
post #223 of 842
I hope you got a good deal on that Sharp, but if not, then what's stopping you from getting a full return in cash, so you could go buy one from another store? I'm very leary on brand new TV's that immediately start having major problems. I'd want another one.
post #224 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4P View Post

Yeah but I think Costco is putting people in this situation. I bought my tv before the new policy took effect. I also have banding that is noticeable in normal viewing. Although I don't see it all the time, it is distracting, and annoying, and especiallly when spending this much money. Anyway, I think if a person buys before the new policy and their set obviously has a problem, Costco should just do an even exchange, not a return and rebuy, so the person is still under the old policy.

according to Costco customer service, IF they exchange your set, you will fall under the new return policy even though you purchased it before the new policy change (no grandfather clause).



Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

I hope you got a good deal on that Sharp, but if not, then what's stopping you from getting a full return in cash, so you could go buy one from another store? I'm very leary on brand new TV's that immediately start having major problems. I'd want another one.


based on information I've read, Costco usually doesn't exchange defective units. What seems to be their modus operendum is to return the defective item for a cash refund and then purchase something else. I'm sure this all depends on the store manager or whoever you talk to. If push comes to shove I can always return my 52 inch for cash and purchase a LC-52D92U online and come out ahead pricewise (even though the 92's also have banding issues and, I would give up my 90 day return policy protection). I would probably stay with sharp because I believe that overall it's a very good product and there are band free sets out there.
post #225 of 842
Costco really has more tv selection online. I saw they never had any Philips ambilight models in the store but i see they have a couple online
post #226 of 842
Has anyone seen the new Vizio 60" plasma at COSTCO? Great price. Not 1080P, though.
Opinions? Anyone........


MISSY QUICK
post #227 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSY QUICK View Post

Has anyone seen the new Vizio 60" plasma at COSTCO? Great price. Not 1080P, though.
Opinions? Anyone........
MISSY QUICK

FWIW, I was at Costco earlier this week on the first day of the coupon in the AM and no one was grabbing these. They had a pallet on the floor with at least a dozen units. In January, when the 47 Vizio LCD went on coupon, they sold 60 units in 30 minutes and they were gone. I'm more of an LCD guy based on lots of windows in my house, but the 60 Viz has just an ok picture compared to the 60 Panasonic next to it. Sure it's a good value, but not the best pic...the bronze bezel and the overall package of the unit is much better looking than the Panny...IMO
post #228 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSY QUICK View Post

Has anyone seen the new Vizio 60" plasma at COSTCO? Great price. Not 1080P, though.
Opinions? Anyone........


There are lots of them here, in the owners thread.


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&page=1&pp=30
post #229 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

It was rolled out from west to east.

You'll be covered under the old policy. It was explicit in the leaked memo.

Are you sure about that? I stopped by a Costco and asked about it (I don't have anything to return - was just curious). The middle level manager (red vest guy) says it's a case by case basis. He said that even if you bought it prior to the new policy, he'd instruct the CSR to look up your account to see if you've returned a lot of stuff in the past.

That's BS to me. I'm all for rooting out the abusers, but you can't penalize someone who bought something prior to a new policy.
post #230 of 842
I was pro costco for every thing for peace of mind only! Now I have to think outside the bun lol
post #231 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSY QUICK View Post

Has anyone seen the new Vizio 60" plasma at COSTCO? Great price. Not 1080P, though.
Opinions? Anyone........


MISSY QUICK

vizios are junk. i would not buy their 60 inch, i dont think the picture is impressive, and they still feel it is necessary to leave things out like dual tuners and cable card. add to that that the vizio price points are almost the same as panasonic and pioneer now with the HUGE drop in the price of pannies and pios, i would stay with one of those and avoid vizio.
post #232 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harden View Post

Are you sure about that? I stopped by a Costco and asked about it (I don't have anything to return - was just curious). The middle level manager (red vest guy) says it's a case by case basis. He said that even if you bought it prior to the new policy, he'd instruct the CSR to look up your account to see if you've returned a lot of stuff in the past.

That's BS to me. I'm all for rooting out the abusers, but you can't penalize someone who bought something prior to a new policy.

Legally, if you purchased under the old policy, they have to honor that policy as it was. The fact that corporate explicitly mentioned that anything purchased prior to the new policy taking effect is not affected by the new policy clearly indicates Costco's intent, both presently and for the prior policy.

Now, that being said, every contract has the requirement of good faith. Likely, if you return something that was purposefully broken or damaged, it will fall outside the requirement of good faith. That is why the store managers may look at your prior purchases and see if they can infer bad faith from your purchase/return history.

But, if it's a legitimate return, they have to honor the prior policy (if purchased before the cut-off date). I'd call them to the carpet on that one if I had to.
post #233 of 842
I bought a plasma from CC 2 weeks ago. I used a 10% off coupon that lowered the price by $250. A week later the price dropped to what I paid with the coupon. Can I go back to CC, and have them adjust the price plus the coupon again?
post #234 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCajun92 View Post

I bought a plasma from CC 2 weeks ago. I used a 10% off coupon that lowered the price by $250. A week later the price dropped to what I paid with the coupon. Can I go back to CC, and have them adjust the price plus the coupon again?

try it and let us know.
post #235 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCajun92 View Post

I bought a plasma from CC 2 weeks ago. I used a 10% off coupon that lowered the price by $250. A week later the price dropped to what I paid with the coupon. Can I go back to CC, and have them adjust the price plus the coupon again?

You might as well try, the worst that can happen is that they say no. I bought a Panasonic plasma online from CC last summer. Bought on line, picked up in the store. I used an online coupon when I purchased it and they honored a price match a couple of weeks later with the coupon.
post #236 of 842
My Sister bought one of the Sceptre 30" LCD's around 3-4 years ago. At the time, the total delivered cost of just under $2k from costco.com was a great deal.

About 2 weeks ago the TV stopped responding to the remote. I went over there to check it out, and the remote was fine. (A learning remote was able to learn from the Sceptre remote, the TV wouldn't respond to either.) This makes the TV too annoying to use, so we dug up the costco receipt and returned it. We both thought 4 years of use from a $2k TV was unreasonable. Costco gave us a refund with no hassles. We then bought a 37" Vizio LCD for less than half what we paid for the Sceptre 30". (This is a bedroom TV, image quality is not the first choice, and a plasma wouldn't fit.)

That's the first time she has returned anything to costco other than a few minor items in the 10+ years she's been a member.
post #237 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz2k View Post

My Sister bought one of the Sceptre 30" LCD's around 3-4 years ago. At the time, the total delivered cost of just under $2k from costco.com was a great deal.

About 2 weeks ago the TV stopped responding to the remote. I went over there to check it out, and the remote was fine. (A learning remote was able to learn from the Sceptre remote, the TV wouldn't respond to either.) This makes the TV too annoying to use, so we dug up the costco receipt and returned it. We both thought 4 years of use from a $2k TV was unreasonable. Costco gave us a refund with no hassles. We then bought a 37" Vizio LCD for less than half what we paid for the Sceptre 30". (This is a bedroom TV, image quality is not the first choice, and a plasma wouldn't fit.)

That's the first time she has returned anything to costco other than a few minor items in the 10+ years she's been a member.

woweewowow...4 years!! the johnla's and the toolboxes and the toolsheds are going to come out of the wordwork now and call you all kinds of nasty names...get ready...
post #238 of 842
sure he had a legit problem with it...4 years later...sounds to me like its something he should have just lived with all that time, and not driven up the cost of my costco membership...the previous costco return policy was not meant to be a lifetime full original money back guarantee...remember...4 years..too long...i have decided.
post #239 of 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

woweewowow...4 years!! the johnla's and the toolboxes and the toolsheds are going to come out of the wordwork now and call you all kinds of nasty names...get ready...

Stirring the pot are we?
post #240 of 842
Come on guys, let's not go through this hostile debate again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread II: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS