or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › ~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread - Page 9

post #241 of 5061
I just looked around and found 0 store showing 747i in-stock - I think Syntax-Brilliant's supply chain is clearly pathetic.\\

First they postponed for 6 months due to some mfr problems, now it's supposedly out they cannot ship in quantity.

I guess this is what you get when a newbie company cannot step up to the plate... sheesh...
post #242 of 5061
T2k

I just placed my order on friday with Lasertech Computer Distributor. They were recommended by a post earlier. Looks like they have a close relationship with Syntax.

Anyhow my order is being shipped by truck to me from California and is supposed to arrive by tomorrow or wednesday.

I had intially placed my order with buy d0t c0m but they were out of stock and couldnt tell me when more would be available. Also Lasertech gave me a price $100 better then buy d0t c0m.

If you want to contact them i spoke with Olivia Liu at 909-859-8672.

Paul
post #243 of 5061
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Yikes, looks like the "banding" on my 747i isn't isolated! dmkara, have you noticed any (and I do mean ANY) instance of "banding" with your 747i while watching regular TV/HDTV/video in it? Since I discovered "banding" on the grey screens of my SA 8300 HD-DVR I've spent an obscene amount of hours looking for it when I'm playing games, watching sports, etc. I've given up, I cannot see the "banding" from the grey screen during regular use. Apparently its not as bad as the "banding" on the newest Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD's, which often jumps out at viewers during regular shows.

I've noticed banding as well. I watched STAR WARS last night with my nephews, the GOUT 4x3 Letterboxed version, and I noticed the banding at moments during scenes on Tatooine. I'm interested in Techaholic's assertion that the brightness might be too high, as I had played around with some calibration settings and upped the brightness for HDMI1. This was before my "eggs" had disappeared, so I think I'm going to reset to factory defaults and start again now that the set appears to have corrected some of it's shipping quirks. I've noticed the bands during very bright upconverted material, like the deserts in STAR WARS and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. At first I thought they might be artifacts of older film transfers, but I don't think that's the case anymore as they are consistent in their screen position.

Question: I used the DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS disk to test the PLUGE signal to make sure that I was getting the all the right picture information. That's what led me to raise the brightness on HDMI1, which I thought seemed odd as others have mentioned turning the brightness down. Is DVE not going to work properly with an LCD? I'm also debating whether I might want to use the brightness settings for the HDMI out on my DVD player instead of adjusting the LCD. Thoughts?
post #244 of 5061
Also, has anyone noticed any audio sync issues? I've had some SD DVDs be a bit out of sync, and very often playback of XVID or DIVX in XBMC requires tweaking the audio just a notch or two. It's all fine and good for audio that goes through the TV, as I can use the set's Audio Sync feature, but for audio that I'm sending direct to my receiver it's a little trickier. I was quite disappointed to discover that the 747i will not properly downmix DD or DTS audio via HDMI for playback through it's built-in speakers, nor can it's SPDIF or COAX Digital outputs be used for bitstream passthrough from a DVD source.

Anyway, curious if anyone has experienced external source sync issues.
post #245 of 5061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoofan View Post

T2k

I just placed my order on friday with Lasertech Computer Distributor. They were recommended by a post earlier. Looks like they have a close relationship with Syntax.

Anyhow my order is being shipped by truck to me from California and is supposed to arrive by tomorrow or wednesday.

I had intially placed my order with buy d0t c0m but they were out of stock and couldnt tell me when more would be available. Also Lasertech gave me a price $100 better then buy d0t c0m.

If you want to contact them i spoke with Olivia Liu at 909-859-8672.

Paul

Thank you, I'll pass it to my pal who pays for this.
post #246 of 5061
Thread Starter 
Well I can atleast say I have not noticed any banding issues whatsoever(and I looked like hell) with my 747i.Then again, aside from bringing down brightness 1 notch and sharpness all the way down(left) the image produced out of the box is great in my book requiring no further tweaking w/ default pre-calibrated 6500k.Perhaps some of you guys are cranking yur brightness a bit too high and maybe contrast too low among maybe other settings that really are not necessary fiddling with imo.This can cause artificial banding to the naked eye.I also run 'Dark Room' lighting mode too btw since to me that provides most optimal back lighting mode.I havnt checked gray screen because I could care less if I dont see it in normal viewing.I also ran Avia dvd essentials and SpyderTv pro just to be sure since the human eye is subjective.With Avia, very minor adjustments which were petty/unnoticable imo so I resorted back to what I mentioned above.With SpyderTv pro, tried the recommended color gain adj. and greens were too emphasized & it's recommended brightness was way too low.I assume this may be due to the glass panel since it thinks it's calibrating a bare lcd screen.Anyhow I resorted back to the minor settings tweaks I initially stated.Image is beautiful whether be sat tv sd/hd or dvd.My black level seems very acceptable when watching star wars movies.
On a side note, SpyderTv is not as great as it's made out to be on this forum.It miscalculated 50% of the time though it's great with regular crt tvs/monitors.

Pics coming soon btw,finally.
post #247 of 5061
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunOff View Post

I've noticed banding as well. I watched STAR WARS last night with my nephews, the GOUT 4x3 Letterboxed version, and I noticed the banding at moments during scenes on Tatooine. I'm interested in Techaholic's assertion that the brightness might be too high, as I had played around with some calibration settings and upped the brightness for HDMI1. This was before my "eggs" had disappeared, so I think I'm going to reset to factory defaults and start again now that the set appears to have corrected some of it's shipping quirks. I've noticed the bands during very bright upconverted material, like the deserts in STAR WARS and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. At first I thought they might be artifacts of older film transfers, but I don't think that's the case anymore as they are consistent in their screen position.

I spent Sunday afternoon and night watching the 747i, including some Discovery documentaries with panning shots of snow and NASCAR with its horizontally-panning cameras. Maybe my eyes are untrained but I swear I could not see banding during anything I threw at the set. I normally keep my lighting set at Medium Room though, since Bright Room makes me think its the equivalent on other HDTV's of the infamous "Torch" mode that eats on lamp life for no apparent reason. I don't know what to tell you RunOff, but bands aren't a problem with my 747i outside of grey screens. What is becoming a little bit of a problem is the light bleed from all corners of the screen. It's not distracting when the screen is filled with an image, but when watching 4x3 material with black bars (or 2:35:1 OAR movies with black bars) they are beginning to stick out and be noticeable even during daytime viewing. It's still not a deal breaker for me but I'm still in my honeymoon period; ask me when I reach the 1080p "seven week" itch.
post #248 of 5061
Xbox 360 VGA upconverts to 1080p no problems... Cool stuff. Also I ran the screen at 24Mhz refresh rate using my PC and it worked.

VGA:
HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others
DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others
Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games.

Component:
HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p.
post #249 of 5061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Xbox 360 VGA upconverts to 1080p no problems... Cool stuff. Also I ran the screen at 24Mhz refresh rate using my PC and it worked.

Exactly how?
post #250 of 5061
Xbox is basically a PC with a good GPU that can support upto 1080P, so when you use a VGA connection, it's displaying at what ever res you can get your set to accept, 1080P being the highest. So when you stick a DVD into the boxes DVD player (not the HDDVD add on) out comes upscaled 1080P
post #251 of 5061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Xbox is basically a PC with a good GPU that can support upto 1080P, so when you use a VGA connection, it's displaying at what ever res you can get your set to accept, 1080P being the highest. So when you stick a DVD into the boxes DVD player (not the HDDVD add on) out comes upscaled 1080P

I'm asking about setting your PC output to 24Hz...
post #252 of 5061
Not Sure, but while attempting to fix a screen flicker I reduced the refresh rate from 60 to 24mhz and the flicker went away and the screen ran fine, but later I got back up to 60 by reducing the Sync Width using setting in my Nvidia 7900GT card.
post #253 of 5061
By default there is no 24Hz option in Nvidia CP nor ever been IIRC... in fact I cannot recall *any* VGA with 24Hz support.
post #254 of 5061
Olevia 742i - anyone seen or buy this set yet? Same as 747? Ist impressions

THnxs
post #255 of 5061
Well something's there under Refresh Rates, Custom views, because I used it to stop the 1080p flicker, it had the default 60mhz, 50mhz and 24mhz in a drop down. When I get home I will screen shot it for you later.
post #256 of 5061
742i is in the works (should look/sound/perform identical as the 47" model since they share the same inner guts, Realta HQV and glass manufacturer) but won't be out for a few more weeks/months. Heck, even the "released" 747i is still hard to come by online or in person.
post #257 of 5061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Well something's there under Refresh Rates, Custom views, because I used it to stop the 1080p flicker, it had the default 60mhz, 50mhz and 24mhz in a drop down. When I get home I will screen shot it for you later.

Excellent, thank you.
post #258 of 5061
THnxs dad, 742 should b better becuase they squeeze 1920x1080 on less surface area, so should be fantastic, can't wait to see it
post #259 of 5061
does anyone know what Olevia says about the 742 when you call?
post #260 of 5061
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

Excellent, thank you.


Here yu go, my Nvidia settings where I can get a refresh rate of 24hz and more, by changing the Sync width (lower) for the horizontal lines it stopped the screen flicker I was getting at 1080P

post #261 of 5061
where can you buy the 747? how much?
post #262 of 5061
do you know anything about the 742
post #263 of 5061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Here yu go, my Nvidia settings where I can get a refresh rate of 24hz and more


Very cool, thanks. The display was connected when you took the picture, right?
post #264 of 5061
Yes Its as clear as my Gateway FPD2185W, superb display. One of the biggest things for me is the Xbox 360 upconverts standard DVD to 1080P on this set over VGA, the Sharp Aquos can't touch that, as it wont display it.
post #265 of 5061
Received my TV yesterday and here are some first impressions.

First of all for anyone looking to buy this set I would highly recommend going through Lasertech Computer Distributors. They have the set in stock and delivered it to my door 4 days after I placed my order. To top it off their price is $100 better than buy d0t c0m.

This thing is HEAVY. The set has a very clean and uncluttered look with excellent build quality. The antireflective coating on the protective glass does a good job IMO, but not great. I have the set placed in my living room opposite 3 large windows and I have noticed some refections on the glass. Its a whole lot better than my previous CRT, but i still notice some reflection. My set-up is obviously not ideal with all the ambient light pouring in, so others may not notice any reflections.

Picture Quality
As of now I have only tested the picture through my STB connected via HDMI with both SD and HD material and all I can say is this thing looks great. HD channels are amazing. Ive been watching ESPNHD, Discovery HD, National Geographic HD, and all the networks on HD and they all look great. I havent attempted any tweaking of the picture setting as of yet so out of the box it does a very good job.

SD material is much better than i have seen on other High Def sets. I didnt previously own a high def set but two of my friends own them and SD material on their sets looks awful. So bad that sometimes you cant even watch it. Not so on this set. Its no where approaching the HD material but it does a very good job. As a previous poster said you arent going to turn water into wine.

I also have NOT noticed any eggs on my set. I have not yet been able to feed it a gray screen but with an all black screen i dont notice any eggs. I plan on connecting my laptop and feeding it a gray screen to test this out. Also i havent noticed any banding or bleeding on the corners.

Thus far a big thumbs up. Ive only had the set for less than 12 hours now and it just looks great.

Ill be posting pictures soon and start playing with the settings.
post #266 of 5061
No eggs so far? There's hope... excellent, thanks for the upcoming pics & review.
post #267 of 5061
Pictures ptoofan, WE WANT PICTURES
post #268 of 5061
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

I spent Sunday afternoon and night watching the 747i, including some Discovery documentaries with panning shots of snow and NASCAR with its horizontally-panning cameras. Maybe my eyes are untrained but I swear I could not see banding during anything I threw at the set. I normally keep my lighting set at Medium Room though, since Bright Room makes me think its the equivalent on other HDTV's of the infamous "Torch" mode that eats on lamp life for no apparent reason. I don't know what to tell you RunOff, but bands aren't a problem with my 747i outside of grey screens. What is becoming a little bit of a problem is the light bleed from all corners of the screen. It's not distracting when the screen is filled with an image, but when watching 4x3 material with black bars (or 2:35:1 OAR movies with black bars) they are beginning to stick out and be noticeable even during daytime viewing. It's still not a deal breaker for me but I'm still in my honeymoon period; ask me when I reach the 1080p "seven week" itch.

I can see the banding only when feeding a steady bright uniform low-saturated image. With fast-changing TV pictures it is not possible to detect the banding, but when I use my computer it is noticable.
post #269 of 5061
I am now an official owner of a HDTV, was waiting for D62U Sharp but banding put me in depression, then D92U...now couldn't wait and received the 747i today.

I'm amazed at the pq of the Wii................enjoy.

This is replacing a 32" Toshiba CRT and still have to order STB HD. Still need to figure out a stand and such.
LL
LL
LL
post #270 of 5061
Congrats on your new toy wheelzntoys. Tell us more about yourself and the 747i. Where did you buy it? Was the price comparable to what we've all been whispering about (the ***.com price), higher, lower? Got any eggs or light bleeds from the corners? How does the SD and HD (blacks/contrast) compare to the Sharp 1080p LCD's you left behind? Got any HD you can feed your 747i to bring out the best out of it? Since you hooked up a Wii to it I'm assuming PS3 and XBox 360 are out of the question. Come on man, we want more than pics. Share the joy!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › ~Official Olevia 747i/742i owners thread