or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Chicago, IL - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicago, IL - OTA - Page 378

post #11311 of 12035
Here in the Dallas market, we're just a few days away from a VHF/UHF simulcast on the CBS O&O coming to an end:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101524449&qnum=5350&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

I've been out of touch with the WLS-TV situation. What's the status of their VHF side? They were seeking to make channel 7 a fill-in translator on a permanent basis, right or wrong? The FCC database shows only an STA for channel 7 from what I can unearth.
post #11312 of 12035
Quote:
Originally Posted by re_nelson View Post

Here in the Dallas market, we're just a few days away from a VHF/UHF simulcast on the CBS O&O coming to an end:
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101524449&qnum=5350&copynum=1&exhcnum=1
I've been out of touch with the WLS-TV situation. What's the status of their VHF side? They were seeking to make channel 7 a fill-in translator on a permanent basis, right or wrong? The FCC database shows only an STA for channel 7 from what I can unearth.

Well as of last month, WLS-TV is now operating its new 1 million watt transmitter on RF 44 (in a directional pattern) from the Sears Tower. The VHF 7 frequency is still going on from the Hancock. From this last STA message, the station wants to keep it on until at least mid-January (after the holidays). But the official STA ends on March 25. WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids will really be thrilled when WLS turns off 7.

Yeah at when WLS turns off VHF 7 completely, all its left of this dual-frequency practice is the two El Paso Stations (KVIA (7 & 17) & KTSM (9 & 16)).
Edited by csworldwide1 - 11/20/12 at 8:59pm
post #11313 of 12035
Thread Starter 
...But if I were WLS, if the FCC repackages channels 31 and above...I'd keep that channel 7 setup on Hancock on cold standby!
post #11314 of 12035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

...But if I were WLS, if the FCC repackages channels 31 and above...I'd keep that channel 7 setup on Hancock on cold standby!

The STA that WLS-TV is running from is actually the one for operating from the Sears Tower. This STA is extending this STA.

The first STA was for then the VHF antenna was removed from the east tower of the Sears Tower. So all transmissions had to move to the John Hancock during that time. When the first new channel 44 antenna was installed, it didn't reach the viewers that they were trying to reach (those within 10 miles of the Sears Tower). That was why they had the old VHF antenna on the west tower of the Sears Tower reactivated (an antenna I didn't know they had). For the first UHF antenna, I lost the signal a lot, until transmission moved back to the John Hancock during that time. I do know that since WLS-TV started operating on RF 44, RF 43 breaks up quite a bit (happens primarily at sunset, & worse after midnight).

Now on the topic of channel repackaging; if 31 - 51 do get eliminated, WLS-TV would be smart to keep RF 7. I have always had better luck with the VHF signal better than the UHF signal (despite only living about 30 miles SE of Chicago in Gary, IN).
post #11315 of 12035
Well, whatever they do, they need to keep that 7 transmitter, antenna, the works, because we don't know when FCC will finally execute the final blow that will cripple OTA as we know it. Speaking of 7, the new Channel 44 facility, which has been live since over a few weeks ago, is now a LICENSED facility. Now we need an unofficial countdown. We need to know the date of which 7 will turn off 7, so I can mourn happily or gracefully or w/e you call it.
post #11316 of 12035
At 2pm, WLS was airing Inside Edition and at the start of the show, it was excessive audible buzzer sound. Just five minutes later, its switched to a 4:3 SD version of the show with no buzzer sounds. EDIT: After the first break, the program was back 16:9 in HD with no buzzer sound. Weird.
Edited by csworldwide1 - 11/28/12 at 12:17pm
post #11317 of 12035
Any new news about COZI-TV 5.2?
Are some of the Sunday night shows on nonstop part of the line up?
"The Border", "The Collector"?
post #11318 of 12035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgo1967 View Post

Any new news about COZI-TV 5.2?
Are some of the Sunday night shows on nonstop part of the line up?
"The Border", "The Collector"?

It's supposed to start in January. Be patient.
post #11319 of 12035
Something (all in Spanish) called TVC+ has replaced Telos on 25.2.
post #11320 of 12035
Hi All,

I live in the ground floor of an apartment building in Rogers Park, very near to Evanston.

I am having a lot of difficulty pulling in stations consistently on either of my HDTVs.

I am using 2 different sets of OTA antennas.

In the main room, I have an Panasonic plasma coupled with an RCA amplified antenna. It only gets channel 5 and 9 and 11. Even those get distorted and pixelated. I have tried with the amplifier on and off - on seems to work better.

In the bedroom, I have a Toshiba LCD HDTV that I'm using with a RS 15-246 OTA antenna. I get better results with the set up in the bedroom, but not by much. I can get WBBM in the bedroom, sporadically, but not in the main room. WMAQ comes in the best in both rooms, and Univision is on par with WMAQ. WLS is spotty in both rooms.

I read that a better, shielded, cable might be more effective. Aside from that, are there any suggestions out there for a budget minded, ground floor, apartment dwelling Chicagoan?

Thanks in advance!



post #11321 of 12035
An amplified antenna at that distance is probably overloading the tuners in the TV's. Any multipath (ghosting) will make the issue worse. Also some of the amplified antennas don't pass anything unless they're plugged in.
Outside outdoor antennas are the best solution, but I've found the Digitenna Vii works pretty well..........

http://digitenna.com/
post #11322 of 12035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

An amplified antenna at that distance is probably overloading the tuners in the TV's. Any multipath (ghosting) will make the issue worse. Also some of the amplified antennas don't pass anything unless they're plugged in.
Outside outdoor antennas are the best solution, but I've found the Digitenna Vii works pretty well..........
http://digitenna.com/

Thanks for the response. I cannot mount an antenna outside. It has to be an indoor antenna.

I read about multipath and interference here. I am planning to get better quad shielded RG6 for use with the RS 15-246 OTA antenna. Hopefully I can put it up higher and closer to the window in the bedroom. I still need to work something out for my Panny in the main room though.
post #11323 of 12035
The Digitenna Vii "is" an indoor antenna......
post #11324 of 12035
Anyone see poor signal strength on CBS 2.1 Chicago recently, like in the last few weeks? I see picture problems, picture breaking up and poor signal strength from time to time. The problem then disappears for a few days and things return to normal. I live in the NW suburbs just West of Elgin, IL. Put up an OTA antenna a few years ago and have had no issues with CBS 2.1 Chicago until now.

These are the channels I currently have no problems pulling in.

2.1 - Sporadic issues starting a few weeks ago.
5.1
7.1
9.1
11.1
20.1
26.1
32.1
38.1
50.1

Adding some numbers from my HDHR to give a little more info...

Physical channel: 8vsb: 12
Signal strength: 84%
Signal quality: 94%
Symbol quality: 100%
Edited by Mike_TV - 12/18/12 at 4:38am
post #11325 of 12035
Is anyone using an HD Homerun Network Tuner in conjunction with Windows Media Center? I am unable to get the channel guide data for 2.1 and 5.1. WMC does not pick up those channels when it scans, but I can add them manually after the fact and tune them in. I just cannot get the guide data, and cannot select it when editing the channel.

Thanks.

Mark
post #11326 of 12035
It works fine on mine. I assume its OTA only?

Try not scanning for channels.

Re do TV setup and when it says scanning for channels, cancel it. It should then present you with options to do a manual setup. Go for it. This avoids the scan and uses only downloaded info.

If still not there, then its a problem with the guide data. I would try a different zipcode and see if they appear.

If this is for a cable system, then forget what I said 'cuz you have to do the scan.
post #11327 of 12035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicko2 View Post

It works fine on mine. I assume its OTA only?
Try not scanning for channels.
Re do TV setup and when it says scanning for channels, cancel it. It should then present you with options to do a manual setup. Go for it. This avoids the scan and uses only downloaded info.
If still not there, then its a problem with the guide data. I would try a different zipcode and see if they appear.
If this is for a cable system, then forget what I said 'cuz you have to do the scan.

Yes, it is OTA only. I will try the manual setup. I thought about my zip code, as it was only created 12 years ago when the village incorporated. But it was weird that those two channels did not have data.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark
post #11328 of 12035
I tried a RS Budget TV Antenna, Model: T#749, and I'm pulling in a lot more channels than I did with the more expensive RS 15-246. I am still adjusting with placement but I'm happier with the results overall.
post #11329 of 12035
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Is anyone using an HD Homerun Network Tuner in conjunction with Windows Media Center? I am unable to get the channel guide data for 2.1 and 5.1. WMC does not pick up those channels when it scans, but I can add them manually after the fact and tune them in. I just cannot get the guide data, and cannot select it when editing the channel.
Thanks.
Mark

I know there is a bug with Windows Media Center that I have not figured out because I have a friend that gets disappearing channels while it is scanning or right after it get done the channels disappear. I don't know if it is the same issue or not, but I had to setup XBMC to keep the channels.
post #11330 of 12035
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Is anyone using an HD Homerun Network Tuner in conjunction with Windows Media Center? I am unable to get the channel guide data for 2.1 and 5.1. WMC does not pick up those channels when it scans, but I can add them manually after the fact and tune them in. I just cannot get the guide data, and cannot select it when editing the channel.
Thanks.
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicko2 View Post

It works fine on mine. I assume its OTA only?
Try not scanning for channels.
Re do TV setup and when it says scanning for channels, cancel it. It should then present you with options to do a manual setup. Go for it. This avoids the scan and uses only downloaded info.
If still not there, then its a problem with the guide data. I would try a different zipcode and see if they appear.
If this is for a cable system, then forget what I said 'cuz you have to do the scan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Yes, it is OTA only. I will try the manual setup. I thought about my zip code, as it was only created 12 years ago when the village incorporated. But it was weird that those two channels did not have data.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post

I know there is a bug with Windows Media Center that I have not figured out because I have a friend that gets disappearing channels while it is scanning or right after it get done the channels disappear. I don't know if it is the same issue or not, but I had to setup XBMC to keep the channels.

Update:

The manual setup did not help at all, but chaning my zip code from 60491 (Homer Glen) to 60441 (Lockport) worked, and channels 2.1 and 5.1 were automatically added to the guide, and they have program data.

Thanks for the help.

Mark
post #11331 of 12035
I need a few tips on how to pull WPVN.

Do I point my antenna to Schaumburg, Aurora or Trump Tower?
post #11332 of 12035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

It's supposed to start in January. Be patient.

Anyone who is anxious about Cozi TV, it starts this morning on 5.2 with a soft launch. The big launch (including the stations outside of the NBC O&Os) start in January. Today is the big day.
post #11333 of 12035
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongyfungy View Post

I need a few tips on how to pull WPVN.
Do I point my antenna to Schaumburg, Aurora or Trump Tower?

For now I think it's still being broadcast out of Schaumburg, but they're supposed to go live from the Trump Tower sometime next month.
post #11334 of 12035
Quote:
Originally Posted by csworldwide1 View Post

Anyone who is anxious about Cozi TV, it starts this morning on 5.2 with a soft launch. The big launch (including the stations outside of the NBC O&Os) start in January. Today is the big day.

At 5am, Cozi TV debuted with an episode of Ozzie & Harriet. RIP NBC Nonstop.
post #11335 of 12035
Thread Starter 
For those of you who live in the western and southwestern suburbs...it has happened. WSPY-LD, ID'ing as "WSPY-DT" in their PSIP data, is on the air.

They are 10 kilowatts from their tower in Plano; physically broadcasting on channel 35, easily receivable with my ChannelMaster 4228 classic antenna pointed at 160 degrees from DeKalb, nearly pegging the signal meter.

Picture quality: 480i, noticeable and slightly annoying rolling hum bars in the video; otherwise, looks like it was just patched from their analog switcher using RCA cables. OK, but could be better.

Sound quality: very good.

30-1 is the America One network; 30-2 is blank, for now. No audio, dark video.
Edited by sebenste - 12/21/12 at 12:04am
post #11336 of 12035
Those annoying rolling hum bars have plagued WSPY-TV analog for at least 2 years now. I checked out "Fox Valley Today Headline Makers" yesterday on WSPY-DT and also saw the rolling hum bars, some type of herringbone patterns, video was so bright you could not make out faces and the audio was cutting in and out. Hopefully they will iron out some of the kinks. At least the PSIP data showed them as 30-1 which is correct. I happened to drive by the tower sight on Wednesday and saw a crane and a few men working on the tower.
post #11337 of 12035
I swung the antenna around that direction yesterday and couldn't pick it up. I may try again tonight after sundown.
post #11338 of 12035
Well, I'm surprised. I can get WSPY 30.1. A program called Kane County Today (I think) is on. The picture is of a wormy low-res quality and the sound goes in and out.
post #11339 of 12035
Silly observation: I was at the Sears in Bloomingdale to get a new car battery (old battery still had 2 years left on warranty, and I got $27 back). I noticed in the waiting room they had a newer Samsung HDTV, but it was connected to a Zenith DTT!!! At least it was somewhat correct as the DTT was in anamorphic mode, and the TV matched.
post #11340 of 12035
Thread Starter 
That would be "Fox Valley Today", but the audio is cutting in and out? Interesting. Another note: an automated switch gets flipped at the top of the hour to show an ID slide. NEITHER station on that slide exists (if they took analog 30 off). W24AJ was bought out by Polvision, which then took it dark.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Chicago, IL - OTA