or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Chicago, IL - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicago, IL - OTA - Page 8

post #211 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Even for me in Crystal Lake its like a half of a degree. Nothing to sneeze at.

If you look at a map, the towers are side to side in relation to the NW burbs, but in line with each other in relation to Wilmington.
post #212 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Airtime is much cheaper during these slots.


Yeah, I figured that nobody wants to fill these slots by why?

Nobody watches TV am on Saturday or Sunday and why is Chicago market different than New York's where infomercials are a thing of 2am - 6 am timeslot only???
post #213 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by (l)user View Post

Yeah, I figured that nobody wants to fill these slots by why?

Nobody watches TV am on Saturday or Sunday and why is Chicago market different than New York's where infomercials are a thing of 2am - 6 am timeslot only???

Who knows. There's a bazillion reasons why New York is different than Chicago.
post #214 of 12045
Can anyone verify that WTTWD is playing Sunday's scheduled broadcast today, Saturday, 4/7/07?

I flipped on the TV hoping to watch a NOVA special on cuttlefish--instead, there is some show about Sister Aimee....terrible.
post #215 of 12045
Anyone watching the Masters on WBBM-DT the picture is beautiful in Georgia...
post #216 of 12045
Why is WMAQ the worst station around? Here in Chicago, we have the Blackhawks @ Stars produced in HD, but not shown in HD. I finally got ahold of a guy in engineering and he said that they do not have the proper equipment to pass along the HD feed. They hope to have that in 2 months. He seemed pretty embarassed by it, but was a nice enough guy.

How can the 3rd largest NBC affiliate not be able to show HD hockey, that is friggin pathetic.
post #217 of 12045
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyboy View Post

Why is WMAQ the worst station around? Here in Chicago, we have the Blackhawks @ Stars produced in HD, but not shown in HD. I finally got ahold of a guy in engineering and he said that they do not have the proper equipment to pass along the HD feed. They hope to have that in 2 months. He seemed pretty embarassed by it, but was a nice enough guy.

How can the 3rd largest NBC affiliate not be able to show HD hockey, that is friggin pathetic.

Well, they had it in HD last week. And WREX-DT NBC Rockford had it in HD.
post #218 of 12045
Was the game they had in HD last week the same one NY had? I suspect it was. The engineer said tht is the only way they can show them in HD.
post #219 of 12045
They showed a bit of the Philly game in HD btw.
post #220 of 12045
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyboy View Post

Was the game they had in HD last week the same one NY had? I suspect it was. The engineer said tht is the only way they can show them in HD.

Ralph,

Your comments make sense to me now. It's important to understand that WMAQ gets all of its programming from New York...except the local news. Yep, everything else is played via hard drive in a huge master control room for their eastern U.S. O&O stations there and fibered in real time to Chicago. WREX-DT Rockford, WNDU-DT South Bend, and WTMJ-DT Milwaukee, all get NBC via satellite instead of fiber, and those feeds are whatever NBC provides from the feed point instead of going through New York. In other words, if the feed to New York is only standard definition, that's all WMAQ-DT is going to get, even though those who get it directly will see HD. I side with the NBC engineer you talked to, I forgot how that was set up. Doggone, that explains why even the games in Chicago were SD. The one thing you can't blame Bill Wirtz on this time! NBC Engineering should have been allowed funding to get the equipment sooner, however. That way, if New York's fiber feed goes down, WMAQ can still broadcast in HD, or if the game out of New York isn't in HD, they can still get it viasatellite in HD.

And it DOES mean, as a result, that the NBC affiliates in surrounding markets saw it all in HD. In fact, in the Hawks' game they had several weeks ago, WREX even had a backhaul feed which WAS in HD, but for only two periods. Then it was shut off, leaving WREX-DT in a test pattern until the master control guy saw it and flipped it to the SD feed.
post #221 of 12045
Now if only we could understand why they can only show the first 30 minutes of Law and Order: SVU in HD. (Seriously...every week, when it comes back from the commercial break at around 30 minutes, it's in SD and stays that way.)
post #222 of 12045
Our "New and Improved" 5.1 audio is in effect. Sounds great on my end. Curious if anyone else watched the Bulls game and has feedback.
post #223 of 12045
Did anyone else notice that some of the SD commercials during the Bulls game were stretched to fill the screen? Still nice to see HD back on the U, though.
post #224 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Our "New and Improved" 5.1 audio is in effect. Sounds great on my end. Curious if anyone else watched the Bulls game and has feedback.

The 5.1 audio sounded great on my system as well. Like the previous HD Bulls home game on WCIU, the PQ was fine, with no trace of flashing or motion artifacts.

I do have one question, which I also asked after the previous HD game. I keep my 1080P Sony LCD set for zero overscan ("full pixel display"), and there was a constant small vertical band in the lower left corner during both HD games. The lower 3" is red, and the final 1" (which curves to the left and disappears offscreen) is white. Above that area, the left edge is fine to the top of the screen. It's just a slight distraction, and I won't engage overscan to hide it, but was just wondering if WCIU could get rid of it.
post #225 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncD2000 View Post

The 5.1 audio sounded great on my system as well. Like the previous HD Bulls home game on WCIU, the PQ was fine, with no trace of flashing or motion artifacts.

I do have one question, which I also asked after the previous HD game. I keep my 1080P Sony LCD set for zero overscan ("full pixel display"), and there was a constant small vertical band in the lower left corner during both HD games. The lower 3" is red, and the final 1" (which curves to the left and disappears offscreen) is white. Above that area, the left edge is fine to the top of the screen. It's just a slight distraction, and I won't engage overscan to hide it, but was just wondering if WCIU could get rid of it.

Waiting for a firmware update that "allegedly" gets rid of that. (Last few updates were real winners )
post #226 of 12045
Anybody here seen the "Nature's Colors" special on WTTW-HD?

Whoa!!

That one's gonna stay on my DVR for a LONG time to come!

A real "jaw-dropper"!
post #227 of 12045
11.1 is worth the price of admission just by itself, the rest of the channels are icing on the cake!
post #228 of 12045
Anyone know how to get WMAQ-DT fixed when they do the "letterboxed" 16:9 in the 4:3 center of a 16:9 picture. My understanding is that since its national programming the switch is thrown by NBC (in New York) ... it seems like with "The Office" they mess this up on a regular basis ... tonight it appears the whole 30 minute show is affected. [Fortunately I still get WNBC-DT via satellite and that is ok]
post #229 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by larceny View Post

Is it just a fantasy that I might be able to receive CBS (WBBM) HD with an indoor antenna? I have the TERK HDTVi which picks up everything but 2-1. I thought I would be close enough to the tower living in zip code 60302. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

larceny, I also live in zip code 60302 and WBBM-HD is receiveable with a pair of old rabbit ears fully horizontal in the attic, in parallel to Oak Park Ave. WBBM-DT was "too easy" for me to receive!
post #230 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclbob View Post

larceny, I also live in zip code 60302 and WBBM-HD is receiveable with a pair of old rabbit ears fully horizontal in the attic, in parallel to Oak Park Ave. WBBM-DT was "too easy" for me to receive!

Maybe he lives right next to the "El" tracks .
post #231 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Maybe he lives right next to the "L" tracks .

"Mr. Apartment right by the El tracks guy......."
post #232 of 12045
Is there any good reason that WPWR-DT would suddenly appear on 51-3 on my tuner? My tuner used to map this to it's "correct" 50-1. I'm thinking more and more that any of my signal problems are due to my LG tuner. Something just doesn't seem right if it's randomly changing the channel assignment. Very weird.
post #233 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclbob View Post

Anyone know how to get WMAQ-DT fixed when they do the "letterboxed" 16:9 in the 4:3 center of a 16:9 picture. My understanding is that since its national programming the switch is thrown by NBC (in New York) ... it seems like with "The Office" they mess this up on a regular basis ... tonight it appears the whole 30 minute show is affected. [Fortunately I still get WNBC-DT via satellite and that is ok]

That's not an aspect-ratio problem; that means they're not in HD. WMAQ does this from time to time. Happens to the last half of Law & Order SVU every week, as far as I can tell, and often happens to other shows. I don't know why.

I've emailed the engineering dept. on several occasions but never gotten a response, so I don't know whether the emails are just hitting the bit bucket or whether they don't pay attention or what. Overall I'm not impressed with WMAQ...in addition to this SD/HD problem, the volume delta between SD commercials and HD/5.1 programming is MUCH worse than on any other channel. Plus, when they switch from commercial to program (might be when they go local to national, or when they go 2.0 to 5.1, not sure) I hear a loud CRACKLE on my receiver. It just sounds awful, and nobody else does it.

Other stations seem to be making regular improvements. WLS seems to have eliminated its center-channel-audio problem from a year or so ago, and we're all aware of the work going on with WCIU, but WMAQ seems fundamentally no different from when I started watching HD a year and a half ago.

Maybe there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes, but I don't see it.
post #234 of 12045
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1277 View Post

Is there any good reason that WPWR-DT would suddenly appear on 51-3 on my tuner? My tuner used to map this to it's "correct" 50-1. I'm thinking more and more that any of my signal problems are due to my LG tuner. Something just doesn't seem right if it's randomly changing the channel assignment. Very weird.

Their PSIP data is messed up. I noticed that last week. It should be better now...I am finally seeing it at 50.1.
post #235 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post

I've emailed the engineering dept. on several occasions but never gotten a response, so I don't know whether the emails are just hitting the bit bucket or whether they don't pay attention or what. Overall I'm not impressed with WMAQ...in addition to this SD/HD problem, the volume delta between SD commercials and HD/5.1 programming is MUCH worse than on any other channel. Plus, when they switch from commercial to program (might be when they go local to national, or when they go 2.0 to 5.1, not sure) I hear a loud CRACKLE on my receiver. It just sounds awful, and nobody else does it.

It has to do with how they switch from SD to HD. The crackle you hear is the digital audio unclocking and re-clocking. Most likely from a small HD switcher switching between NBC HD and WMAQ upconverted. ABC network had the same setup for its affiliates but WLS does not use this setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post

Other stations seem to be making regular improvements. WLS seems to have eliminated its center-channel-audio problem from a year or so ago, and we're all aware of the work going on with WCIU, but WMAQ seems fundamentally no different from when I started watching HD a year and a half ago.

Just wait till we THX certify our station. Just kidding.
post #236 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

It has to do with how they switch from SD to HD. The crackle you hear is the digital audio unclocking and re-clocking. Most likely from a small HD switcher switching between NBC HD and WMAQ upconverted. ABC network had the same setup for its affiliates but WLS does not use this setup.

WLS now forces 5.1 for everything. I think the same as WGN. No more popping and snapping during changes.

I started watching 30 Rock and was afraid it would be SD, too. They finally switched to HD after about 15-20 seconds.
post #237 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

WLS now forces 5.1 for everything. I think the same as WGN. No more popping and snapping during changes.

I started watching 30 Rock and was afraid it would be SD, too. They finally switched to HD after about 15-20 seconds.

We force every 5.1 as well, well at least on WCIU anyways.
post #238 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

We force every 5.1 as well, well at least on WCIU anyways.

Unfortunately, Comcast doesn't carry it yet. Any news on if, or when?
post #239 of 12045
WMAQ by far is the biggest crap affiliate in Chicago. They screw up the NHL games, The Office, L&O, and 30 Rock on a regular basis. I will now be watching the NY feed via D* from now on.
post #240 of 12045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Anybody here seen the "Nature's Colors" special on WTTW-HD?

After your mention, I watched it Friday night. Lots of great looking shots and good music. It seems a few SD shots got mixed in. It was interrupted by a plea for donations with a "DVD" of the show for $85. However the package that was displayed sure looked like an HD DVD to me. (WTTW is giving away an HD DVD player next week.) I did notice that several shots with lots of tree leaves against the sky seemed bit-starved. It would be instructive to compare the HD disc to the OTA broadcast.

Amazon carries "Nature's Colors" in BD and the combo DVD/HD DVD formats. The combo would seem to be what WTTW is offering as a premium. As it's about time to renew my membership, perhaps I'll request that disc....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Chicago, IL - OTA