or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › IR solution for the PS3, for those of us with learning remotes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IR solution for the PS3, for those of us with learning remotes - Page 3

post #61 of 229
Yup, thanks guys, as I posted right after asking ( and cursing! ) I did get it working after seeing some of your posts elsewhere. woohoo!

I might go back and try to improve it with the tips you guys have in the other thread like press&release really fast also, not just the hold & enable learning.

But it works perty well right now - just the odd time it seems to issue a few "clicks" instead of one, and I think it's because of what you guys mentioned, there's two modes on the button, a quick click vs. a stream of signals in the old PS2 remote.

Thanks all! It's working well - great little solution that cost less than the BlueTooth remote and works with the the "One" remote.

Cheers.
post #62 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming75 View Post

Yeah, #6 will work. But by "Pelican," I mean: Pelican Universal Remote Control with a IR pass thru port for a PS2 Controller. PM me if you still need help.

I assume this is the one you are talking about. I know you can pick up one on eBay for less than this e'tailer: http://www.ogamingstore.com/Pelican_...8056550530.htm
post #63 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming75 View Post

My Harmony 880 and Pelican IR adapter work great! I no longer have to find the controller (usually under the couch) and pray the batteries are still charged enough just to start a movie. The total set up cost was $8.35! Compared to another junkie remote for $24.99.

X: OK, Play, Pause
Circle: Exit, Stop
Triangle: Guide
Square: Menu
L1: Chapter Back
R1: Chapter Fwd
L2: Rewind
R2: Fast Fwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming75 View Post

This is only for people who use one Universal Remote that controls everything. If you already use 2 more remotes then this isn't for you! Go buy the bluetooth one.

Now, you don't use the "cheap" remote control at all. Throw it away or give to your nephew. All you are after is the "IR Adapter." Now, this is the tricky part cause you need one that was made back when PS2 first came out. (The originals didn't have IR sensors built in.)

So look for something included called a passthru port Cause the packages released after the slim line PS2 came out, are remote only. I choose this adapter based on this added feature. Cause someday you might be able to play Dance Revolution or Guitar Hero on your PS3 if you have an extra PSX port!

Now plug a single USB to PSX into the back of the IR adapter/passthru port. Make sure you turn the power off before plugging the USB in! Or else the PS3 may not recognize it. I made this mistake and thought that it didn't work.

Now, take your Universal remote (the expensive one, not the one your giving away) and add the PS2 device. (For harmony users go with original PS2. Not the newer thin one.) Download codes and move buttons around accordingly. Now, you have an IR Blu-ray remote!

Some notes: Up/Down/Left/Right works for Media Uses only. This means you can navigate DVD/Bluray menus. It also works with the music files, once you're in the file. But it does not work for games or the PS3 menu. So set it auto play. But if your using it for movies only, this doesn't matter.

Also, "enter" on the D-pad = select. So move this button to either "info" or "display." And then make "enter" the "X" button. And as I said before, No "eject" or "power." But since they are both the front of the machine; this is a moot point.

Btw, your universal remote will probably read the IR signal alot better than the crappy Pelican remote. But your nephew doesn't need to know this.

Finally got all the pieces and the time to implement this. I've spent about 1/2 hr with it and to put it simply, it works perfect. My Harmony 880 does everything I've needed to do with the PS3 so far, and I don't anticipate any other functions/commands that I might need.

No power on/off of course, but with disc insert power on, and when physically removing the disc you're right next to the power button anyways, those functions are a very minor issue.

lemming75, and the other posters here, thanks for the tips and the equipment recommendations, I'm very happy with how this works.
post #64 of 229
Keenan,

Can you post a link to the adapter that you've had success with?
post #65 of 229
It works well for me (I already had the IR remote for my old PS2). However, the only problem is that if you use your PS3 for games as well, the IR and PS3 controller have to fight for the port 1 slot. I wish I could permanently assign the IR to USB port #3 or #4 so I wouldn't have to deal with this issue. It's easier to just keep using the wireless controller for everything on the PS3.
post #66 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarrier View Post

Keenan,

Can you post a link to the adapter that you've had success with?

The exact items I got are listed below. They're both E B A Y item numbers. The remote and the USB cable.

item no 290103942699

item no 120108166297
post #67 of 229
For those who haven't followed the developments in the Playstation Area, there is now another IR option for the PS3.

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Wave-Remot...dp/B000R5H7KE/

It's an IR solution marketed specifically for the PS3, which at least one member used successfully to program their Harmony 890 remote. It has buttons for all major functions, aside from Eject and the PS3 button.

I ordered one and it should arrive on Friday.
post #68 of 229
I just ordered this from amazon. Got the super saver shipping so I will have to wait.
post #69 of 229
I just got a 720 as a gift and that Nyko looks much better than the Remote Central style PS2 to USB adapter with PS2 IR receiver contraption.... Wonder if it's available in any B&M stores...
post #70 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

I just got a 720 as a gift and that Nyko looks much better than the Remote Central style PS2 to USB adapter with PS2 IR receiver contraption.... Wonder if it's available in any B&M stores...

If you find one let me know. I'm interested in it as well. Waiting from more reviews though.
post #71 of 229
Ordered one of these myself, should have it Thurs. Currently using the PS2/USB hookup but I figured for the price I'd give this a try as well, hopefully a "cleaner" looking setup as well.
post #72 of 229
Just a reminder, but Harmony remote owners may want to label their PS3 as another device when learning from the new remote. That way, other AVS members can take advantage of same device profile with their existing IR receiver.

If you simply label your PS3 as a "PS3" or "Playstation3", other Harmony owners won't gain access to the new IR codes. If you label it as something original, such as "Bluwave PS3" or "Sony PS3 Bluewave," then Harmony will update their online database with that information so others can add the PS3 IR codes to their remote simply by choosing that device name (i.e. no programming required).
post #73 of 229
I'll do that, maybe we should come up with a label everyone could reference..??
post #74 of 229
AVS Bluwave PS3?
post #75 of 229
It looks like this is pretty much the same thing in overall buttons/commands as the PS2 dongle, right? Meaning, you get the same amount of control (or lack of) as Daniel Tonks' discovery.
post #76 of 229
Hi Guys,

Would I be right in saying that this is an IR remote, I run a PC remote system with Mainlobby, and this would be great.
Any one know if it would work on a UK PS3,
It would seem that Amazon will not ship outside the USA does any one know of a retailer that might ship to the UK


Steve


.
post #77 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post

It looks like this is pretty much the same thing in overall buttons/commands as the PS2 dongle, right? Meaning, you get the same amount of control (or lack of) as Daniel Tonks' discovery.

From what I read here this is my understanding as well. I would appreciate if someone could confirm this.
____
Axel
post #78 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

From what I read here this is my understanding as well. I would appreciate if someone could confirm this.
____
Axel

That's correct, assuming you have working codes for every button on the Nyko Bluwave remote.

The Nyko remote is missing codes for slow, pop up menu, audio, subtitle, angle, and eject. Does the older PS2 IR remote have IR codes for those functions that are compatible with the PS3?

The Nyko Bluwave IR receiver is extremely small, which I think is the primary reason why some with an existing IR solution are looking to upgrade.
post #79 of 229
no popup menu!! no audio!! yikes. I just ordered this remote and it shipped already. These two are important functions for me. I hope there is a remote code for it because I am planning on using the Harmony remote. If I can figure out the remote code, then I could use with my Harmony and this dongle.
post #80 of 229
huh? I have this remote and the only, I repeat only things I cannot do with it are eject and fuctions associated with the ps button. I am using a Harmony 880 and the only functions I needed to learn were the directions and all the L1 - R3 keys. I have a pop up menu key mapped, slow motion, audio, subtitles, you name it.

I don't recall what I called my PS3 in the Logitech Harmony setup, but there are a lot of PS3 (most likely PS2) IR codes out there. When I get home, I'll post the name so other Harmony users can get the profile.
post #81 of 229
Then it sounds like this is much better than the results Remote Central got from their PS2/USB solution. The only thing I ever use the PS button is to turn it off (which can be done from the console after ejection) or to do some memory card thing for a PS2 game (which can be done from the SIXAXIS that would obviously be in hand for such a circumstance).

I'll be sure to add my two cents once I get my Nyko dongle/remote (the remote will be going into a deep drawer, of course).
post #82 of 229
Does anyone know if the Nyko blue wave remote sends multiple signals for the navigation keys the PS2 remote does. The remote central solution works but the PS2 remote sends multiple signals when you program another remote so the navigation end up skipping over the function you're trying to get to in the PS3 menus.
post #83 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Does anyone know if the Nyko blue wave remote sends multiple signals for the navigation keys the PS2 remote does. The remote central solution works but the PS2 remote sends multiple signals when you program another remote so the navigation end up skipping over the function you're trying to get to in the PS3 menus.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, but I'll try and answer. I've programmed my Harmony 880 from the Nyko remote, and the directional keys (up, down, left, right) work but I do notice a slight hesitation in them. It hasn't prevented me from getting to the correct menu item yet but it is present. This pause is not found in the Nyko remote natively. I haven't had an opportunity to tinker anymore but will play with it more tonight.
post #84 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1dey View Post

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, but I'll try and answer. I've programmed my Harmony 880 from the Nyko remote, and the directional keys (up, down, left, right) work but I do notice a slight hesitation in them. It hasn't prevented me from getting to the correct menu item yet but it is present. This pause is not found in the Nyko remote natively. I haven't had an opportunity to tinker anymore but will play with it more tonight.

You could play with the speed and the repeat of the commands coming from the 880 to try and smooth it out and be more responsive.
post #85 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

It works well for me (I already had the IR remote for my old PS2). However, the only problem is that if you use your PS3 for games as well, the IR and PS3 controller have to fight for the port 1 slot. I wish I could permanently assign the IR to USB port #3 or #4 so I wouldn't have to deal with this issue. It's easier to just keep using the wireless controller for everything on the PS3.


I am confused on this... why do you need to have the PS controller for USB port 1? Are you talking about charging the controller (because I thought you can just use any USB port for that)? Or are you talking about the times when you have to connect the controller to the PS3 via USB to reboot (Firmware updates are the only times I can remembering doing this)?

Basically, I will get this so I can use my Harmony remote to control blu-ray playback... but if it is a major nuisance in playing games... then it would not be worth it for me. If it's just a hassle to deal with when updating firmware, I'm in.
post #86 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1dey View Post

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, but I'll try and answer. I've programmed my Harmony 880 from the Nyko remote, and the directional keys (up, down, left, right) work but I do notice a slight hesitation in them. It hasn't prevented me from getting to the correct menu item yet but it is present. This pause is not found in the Nyko remote natively. I haven't had an opportunity to tinker anymore but will play with it more tonight.

Thanks for the reply. The PS2 remote with the external IR sensor sends the same signal several times (Iguess it wants to make sure it's receiveds) at once when using the navigation keys. I've read a few other post about it and it does it with my PS2 remote or when the PS2 remote is used to program my MX500 remote. It sounds like your wave remote doesn't do this. With the PS2 remote hitting a navigation key while navigating the PS3 menus like video, music, browser etc... causes it to skip past the next one in line because it's sending too many signals in a row.
post #87 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1dey View Post

huh? I have this remote and the only, I repeat only things I cannot do with it are eject and fuctions associated with the ps button. I am using a Harmony 880 and the only functions I needed to learn were the directions and all the L1 - R3 keys. I have a pop up menu key mapped, slow motion, audio, subtitles, you name it.

I don't recall what I called my PS3 in the Logitech Harmony setup, but there are a lot of PS3 (most likely PS2) IR codes out there. When I get home, I'll post the name so other Harmony users can get the profile.

Thanks, please do so.

If anyone else is aware of a Harmony remote profile name with IR codes for popup menu, audio, subtitles, and slow mo, I would very much like to know it.
post #88 of 229
WOOT..nyko for $12 shipped if your a new google checkout customer or $22 if your not http://www.buy.com/prod/blu-wave-rem...204823001.html
post #89 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Thanks, please do so.

If anyone else is aware of a Harmony remote profile name with IR codes for popup menu, audio, subtitles, and slow mo, I would very much like to know it.

Looks like I spoke prematurely. It was the Harmony software telling me those codes were found in the database and they showed up on the LCD screen. Sadly they do not work. My apologies for the confusion.

All the listed functions are available by selecting the triangle key (which I have programmed to one of the LCD buttons). I wonder if someone had a cheapo learning remote that they could teach it Macros to access these functions from this sub menu only to teach it to the Harmony.
post #90 of 229
I am trying to understand how this IR to USB dongle works. I assume it is not just limited to the commands that are on the remote itself. If there is a valid command that I can procure from elsewhere and program it into my Harmony, it should work through this dongle right!! I hope so. I should be getting this remote on Monday and I would really like the pop up menu and the audio menu.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › IR solution for the PS3, for those of us with learning remotes