or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Velocity Micro MCE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Velocity Micro MCE - Page 7

post #181 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by intofx View Post

Chris, Im the guy who was talking to Trace about purchasing one of your systems - thanks for answering my email to him.


Does this mean if something breaks, needs replacing or upgrading, etc., I can continue to work with VM and preserve my recordings (maybe not forever, but for a long time?) How would this work? Through a warranty of some kind? That would go a long way to addressing my biggest concern.

Unlike Tier 1s, our first inclination is not to format the drive. If you specify, our tech support can attempt to back up your recordings before work is done. I do not know how this may affect a system that needs a MB replacement, however. But we definitely can make sure all of your media is backed up. Your system will be fully warranteed through the length of time you purchase, and you get a lifetime upgrade plan for free.

Guys, thank you all for your feedback and support. I tallied about 15 systems sold to AVSForum members alone (and that was just the people who emailed me.) I think you guys are really going to love this stuff.
post #182 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Unlike Tier 1s, our first inclination is not to format the drive. If you specify, our tech support can attempt to back up your recordings before work is done. I do not know how this may affect a system that needs a MB replacement, however. But we definitely can make sure all of your media is backed up. Your system will be fully warranteed through the length of time you purchase, and you get a lifetime upgrade plan for free.

Guys, thank you all for your feedback and support. I tallied about 15 systems sold to AVSForum members alone (and that was just the people who emailed me.) I think you guys are really going to love this stuff.


Finally a support crew that I can actually agree with. I do repair work and this is always my first option I give to my customers. I do profile moves (maintain every setting they had) I even will manually extract programs for re-injection on a re-install for my customers if they need it done. This has resulted in a 99% customer satisfaction rate.
post #183 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Also, confirmed that hibernate works with scheduled recordings, which I'm sure lots of you will appreciate so the machine doesn't have to be 100% 24/7.


Hey Chris - do you know if its in hibernate mode and you use MSN Remote Record Service feauture to tell it to recorde a show from another computer - does it wake up and know that youre telling it to record?
post #184 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by shk718 View Post

Hey Chris - do you know if its in hibernate mode and you use MSN Remote Record Service feauture to tell it to recorde a show from another computer - does it wake up and know that youre telling it to record?

oooh, good question, i will find out...
post #185 of 1315
No, sadly MSN Remote Record will not wake up the PC (in Hibernate or Standby) .

Chris
post #186 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 View Post

No, sadly MSN Remote Record will not wake up the PC (in Hibernate or Standby) .

Chris

When you use it, does it schedule the recording immediately or does it ping it at the time it needs to start recording? My point being, if the system has not hit hibernate before you schedule, will it still work?
post #187 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Send me a resume.

BTW, anyone not wishing to wait for their Pro Cinema to ship can call in and get switched over to a comprable Grand Theater and your order will be expedited. Asus is being a pain in the ass.

Chris, are the CineMagix S85 Home Entertainment PC's shipping as well? Don't they have the same motherboard as the Grand Theater?
post #188 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhuizinga View Post

Chris, are the CineMagix S85 Home Entertainment PC's shipping as well? Don't they have the same motherboard as the Grand Theater?

Yup!
post #189 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 View Post

No, sadly MSN Remote Record will not wake up the PC (in Hibernate or Standby) .

Chris

does leaving the pc on all the time have any negative effects?
post #190 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 View Post

No, sadly MSN Remote Record will not wake up the PC (in Hibernate or Standby) .

Chris

Will starting the Media Center Extender on a XBox 360 wake up the PC (in Hibernate or Standby)?
post #191 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

When you use it, does it schedule the recording immediately or does it ping it at the time it needs to start recording? My point being, if the system has not hit hibernate before you schedule, will it still work?

I don't use it, but I believe that it schedule the recording immediately. It does it using the Click2Record API and your Live!-Messenger-Passport-whatever signed in on your PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk718 View Post

does leaving the pc on all the time have any negative effects?

Depends on who you ask. I know tons of people have done analysis' on power usage and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhuizinga View Post

Will starting the Media Center Extender on a XBox 360 wake up the PC (in Hibernate or Standby)?

Yes, connecting an Extender will wake the PC in either mode.

Chris
post #192 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Guys, thank you all for your feedback and support. I tallied about 15 systems sold to AVSForum members alone (and that was just the people who emailed me.) I think you guys are really going to love this stuff.


Count me in also Chris! I can't wait to get mine!
I love the fact that you are on here keeping us up to date and answering questions to the best of your knowledge. That alone has sold me on purchasing from you,(along with a very competitive price) and all the support you offer after the sale will be icing on the cake,especially to a newbie like me!
I actually canceled an order with another pc builder for your system instead!
post #193 of 1315
Sadly I tried to switch my order on the 19th when you first mentioned this, and I'm still waiting for the rep to "talk to Chris" and get back to me. I appreciate all the effort you're going through on this though. Especially when you're a new dad. I imagine you have some vacation time coming to you soon. ;-)
post #194 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by raden View Post

Sadly I tried to switch my order on the 19th when you first mentioned this, and I'm still waiting for the rep to "talk to Chris" and get back to me. I appreciate all the effort you're going through on this though. Especially when you're a new dad. I imagine you have some vacation time coming to you soon. ;-)

Call me tomorrow and I will take care of this. 804-897-6166 x211
post #195 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post

Count me in also Chris! I can't wait to get mine!
I love the fact that you are on here keeping us up to date and answering questions to the best of your knowledge. That alone has sold me on purchasing from you,(along with a very competitive price) and all the support you offer after the sale will be icing on the cake,especially to a newbie like me!
I actually canceled an order with another pc builder for your system instead!

Thank you!
post #196 of 1315
Agreed, thanks much to Chris Morley for all his contributions here on AVS and, of course, to the product some of us are buying. I'm one of them!

I am greatly looking forward to the day when I have my new system, and a hopefully clean Comcast install, to finally result in all my important media converging into one box. No other consumer-grade CE box can do this, not even MythTV. (Consumer-grade meaning, one that doesn't cost $10k and up )

Ars Technica posted a news item about the VM Media Center systems today. (I'd link to it but as this is my first post, I can't use URLs till my 6th post )

They raise a good question: If one of the CineMagix boxes are shipped without a DCT, does that mean you can't buy a DCT to add in later? My guess is "Yes, to valid customers" but I don't believe I've seen anyone from VM state the case on this yet.
post #197 of 1315
Yes, we are shipping the systems with the proper COA and BIOS to support digital cable tuners. So it would be as easy as calling up and ordering an external tuner (internal retrofitting must be done in-house) and having it delivered to your door...
post #198 of 1315
Danger chris cable providers are getting nastier on their protection of content which might make the experience of many of your users a nightmare. Over at TGB these links are of particular interest.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/178011.aspx

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/176207.aspx
post #199 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZigPC View Post

Danger chris cable providers are getting nastier on their protection of content which might make the experience of many of your users a nightmare. Over at TGB these links are of particular interest.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/178011.aspx

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/176207.aspx

After reading both threads, it appers the issue is with analog tuners only. These problems will probably go away due to the digital signatures of the CableCARD readers. I have experiecnced the same exact issues they were discussing and got around it by using a time base corrector.
post #200 of 1315
so are they shipping today? are they? are they?
post #201 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

After reading both threads, it appers the issue is with analog tuners only. These problems will probably go away due to the digital signatures of the CableCARD readers. I have experiecnced the same exact issues they were discussing and got around it by using a time base corrector.


What digital signatures are you referring to? 74 channels on my cable company still remain analog with the DCT.
post #202 of 1315
IMPORTANT UPDATE

ATI is really pressuring us not to ship. They have put a stop ship order on any new digital cable tuners so we cannot get more than what we (or anyone else for that matter) have in stock. We are currently short a couple dozen.

This is due to the Scientific Atlanta issue that I was only formally made aware of last week.

The issue is that with older Scientififc Atlanta SCARDS, switching between analog and digital will eventually give you a "no signal" error.

Our recommendation to our customers is to then shut down the machine, start it back up, and then stay in the digital realm.

A firmware update will be released by ATI next month to alleviate this. My understanding is that it is already done but they have to have Cable Labs sign off on it.

As far as I'm concerned we're still shipping the first systems today as we are making customers fully aware of this short term issue. It doesn't even affect Motorola cards.

We cannot take it on the chin for ATI's problem this late in the game. It isn't fair to us, our reputation, or our customers.

If you have any concerns about your order, please let me know. I had 15 AVSForum customers email me for expedited shipping and I will work hard to make sure that you guys get the tuners first.
post #203 of 1315
"Short a couple dozen" meaning you have 24 orders still waiting to be completed? So if I ordered today, could you still put together a system without the DCT's? I could at least add 2 other OTA tuners on my own and then have you send 2 DCT's when ATI sends you some more. Can I add those myself at a later date?

The reason for this question I want to move forward on a media PC, but I dont want to wait. I either order a VM system or build my own meaning I wont have any Cablecards in my config.
post #204 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

IMPORTANT UPDATE

ATI is really pressuring us not to ship. They have put a stop ship order on any new digital cable tuners so we cannot get more than what we (or anyone else for that matter) have in stock. We are currently short a couple dozen.

This is due to the Scientific Atlanta issue that I was only formally made aware of last week.

The issue is that with older Scientififc Atlanta SCARDS, switching between analog and digital will eventually give you a "no signal" error.

Our recommendation to our customers is to then shut down the machine, start it back up, and then stay in the digital realm.

A firmware update will be released by ATI next month to alleviate this. My understanding is that it is already done but they have to have Cable Labs sign off on it.

As far as I'm concerned we're still shipping the first systems today as we are making customers fully aware of this short term issue. It doesn't even affect Motorola cards.

We cannot take it on the chin for ATI's problem this late in the game. It isn't fair to us, our reputation, or our customers.

If you have any concerns about your order, please let me know. I had 15 AVSForum customers email me for expedited shipping and I will work hard to make sure that you guys get the tuners first.

Hey Chris thanks for the update - will (/when) an emal be sent out to tell us our computers are shipping - or should we call you? I don't want to bother you -i'm sure your very busy.
post #205 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by shk718 View Post

Hey Chris thanks for the update - will (/when) an emal be sent out to tell us our computers are shipping - or should we call you? I don't want to bother you -i'm sure your very busy.

It will be automatically sent.
post #206 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by intofx View Post

"Short a couple dozen" meaning you have 24 orders still waiting to be completed? So if I ordered today, could you still put together a system without the DCT's? I could at least add 2 other OTA tuners on my own and then have you send 2 DCT's when ATI sends you some more. Can I add those myself at a later date?

The reason for this question I want to move forward on a media PC, but I dont want to wait. I either order a VM system or build my own meaning I wont have any Cablecards in my config.

If you ordered one today we could get it out to you on time without tuners, and you could order two external tuners at a later date - internal tuners need to come back in house for retrofitting.
post #207 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

IMPORTANT UPDATE


The issue is that with older Scientififc Atlanta SCARDS, switching between analog and digital will eventually give you a "no signal" error.

Our recommendation to our customers is to then shut down the machine, start it back up, and then stay in the digital realm.

A firmware update will be released by ATI next month to alleviate this. My understanding is that it is already done but they have to have Cable Labs sign off on it.
[/b]




If you have the external OCUR you can power cycle the OCUR box without rebooting the PC to fix the no signal issue. It's annoying, but workable.
post #208 of 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_j_a View Post

If you have the external OCUR you can power cycle the OCUR box without rebooting the PC to fix the no signal issue. It's annoying, but workable.

We've had to make sure that the USB is disconnected first. We've fried two external boxes by not doing that.
post #209 of 1315
Let me ask you guys - do any of you really care if you have to stay in digital space for a few weeks until ATI releases the firmware update? (presuming you actually get a card that has the issue.)
post #210 of 1315
External tuners? That means instead of using 2 PCI slots, would you add a PCI card that allows you to connect the 2 DCT's? Is it an external USB or firewire connection? Based on your configuration, that would leave how many PCI slots open? This would allow me to add more tuner cards internally, or not, and the case could stay cooler. How hot do these cards get anyway?

Sorry about all the questions - Im kind of a newbie here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Velocity Micro MCE