or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › Philips DVP5982/37 1080P DivX Ultra
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philips DVP5982/37 1080P DivX Ultra - Page 3

post #61 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi View Post

Just picked up one at Sunnyvale,CA Bestbuy store. I will post my impressions in couple of days. I will be comparing this to oppo 971HD.

looking forward to.
post #62 of 1782
Can someone compare this player to the Sony N75 upconverting player in term of picture quality?
post #63 of 1782
Ok, here is definitely the dumb question of the day. I have a Pio Elite Pro-1540HD 60" Plasma. I believe it is 1080i, but resolution of 1365*765 or something similar to that. i was told Blu-Ray would not be that much different on my tv vs. an upconverting DVD player.

True or untrue?

If untrue, would i be better off getting a blu-ray player that also upconverts regular DVD's, and then I have the best of both worlds?
post #64 of 1782
Would anyone try the region-free hack?
So far it's been tested on the Philips DVP5960, DVP5140 and DVP3960.

Power Up the unit with NO Disc in the tray.
Open the tray
Press the SETUP Button on the remote control
Navigate to the PREFERENCES page using the Right Arrow Key
Press the DOWN ARROW one time to select
Press the 1 button on your remote control
Press the 3 button on your remote control
Press the 8 button on your remote control
Press the 9 button on your remote control
Press the 3 button on your remote control
Press the 1 button on your remote control
The current Region Code Setting will display
Use the UP/DOWN Arrow Keys to select the region required or '0' for All Regions
Press the PLAY Button on the remote control
post #65 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savdiscuss View Post

I bought the 5982 from BB B&M yesterday [Not on website / Not displayed in B&M -- B&M salesperson had to retrieve them from above overstock area]
1) Formatted a 250GB IDE HD as PRIMARY+FAT32 (Extended partitions will not work). Successfully watched DVDs located in various hard drive folders. [Also successfully watched a DVD clip from a USB flash drive.]

Sounds good!
Have you tried the DivX files also?
Here is a link to a DivX trailer in 480p and 1080p. (kickass action!!!)

http://www.fangasm.com/02movies/movi...-hdtv-divx.php
post #66 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashed View Post

Would anyone try the region-free hack?
So far it's been tested on the Philips DVP5960, DVP5140 and DVP3960.

Power Up the unit with NO Disc in the tray.
Open the tray
Press the SETUP Button on the remote control
Navigate to the PREFERENCES page using the Right Arrow Key
Press the DOWN ARROW one time to select
Press the 1 button on your remote control
Press the 3 button on your remote control
Press the 8 button on your remote control
Press the 9 button on your remote control
Press the 3 button on your remote control
Press the 1 button on your remote control
The current Region Code Setting will display
Use the UP/DOWN Arrow Keys to select the region required or '0' for All Regions
Press the PLAY Button on the remote control

I bought mine tonight. The above procedure works perfectly. It is now set to 0, and I confirmed via firmware version page. Thanks!
post #67 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashed View Post

Sounds good!
Have you tried the DivX files also?
Here is a link to a DivX trailer in 480p and 1080p. (kickass action!!!)

http://www.fangasm.com/02movies/movi...-hdtv-divx.php


I tried the 1080p version, and it was no-go. Audio played, but screen said unsupported resolution?? or something similar. I even performed the firmware upgrade, and it still didn't work. I stepped through all of the resolutions in the player...no joy.

I upgraded from .25 to .35 via the Philips support page. There is a 2meg bin file you burn to cd.
post #68 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc4 View Post

I tried the 1080p version, and it was no-go. Audio played, but screen said unsupported resolution??

Well, thanks for trying.
It's normal. As expected.
I was just hoping that somehow it would be able to play the HD DivX content.
post #69 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc4 View Post

I bought mine tonight. The above procedure works perfectly. It is now set to 0, and I confirmed via firmware version page. Thanks!

Great!
Thanks.
post #70 of 1782
Will it play 540p or 720p xvid content?
post #71 of 1782
I couldn't get it to play VOB files ripped from dvds with out stuttering. This was from an external hard drive (fat32) and a usb thumb drive(fat32) It worked fine on VOBs that were burned to dvd-r. I did upgrade the firmware.
post #72 of 1782
Does anyone have a 5960 to compare the 5982 with?
post #73 of 1782
i am trying to decide which player to get for my 1080i tv

Philips dvp5960/dvp5982 or Oppo DV-970HD

my main concern is the picture quality of divx/xvid files

anyone here compared these models side by side?

thanks in advance
post #74 of 1782
Following observations are compared to Oppo 971HD. Oppo is three times the price of DVP 5982. Please consider the cost factor. I am not a videophile by any means. So YMMV. 1080p is not tested since my TV is doesn't support 1080p.

My setup:

TV: Olevia 337H LCD.
Speakers: Velodyne front row CHT
Sub: Bic H-100
Reciever: Onkyo 504.
DVD players: DVP 5982/ Oppo 971HD

Video Quality.

PQ with good video transfers is close to Oppo 971HD. On my TV with 5892 1080i looks best where with 971HD 720P looks best. 971HD has edge with colors and blacks. With average to good tramsfers 971HD shines over 5982.

Divx files: 971HD handsdown has much much better quality compared to 5982.

Component: 480p doesn't look good comapred to 480p over HDMI.

Remote operations: Remote itself is very poor on 5982. Response and loading times are slow compared to 971HD.

5982 makes some noise while loading/reading the disc and also during skipping chapters/stop/start etc. May be its my player.

Audio:

Oppo has slight edge with SQ but shouldn't be a big factor.

Conclusion: For the price I paid($65) for 5982 this is a keeper. I am concerned about
long term quality since I had bad experience with previous DVP 642 player. It died after an year. So for the price this is a good player.
post #75 of 1782
folks,

Got the player at Best Buy today at sale price of $64.99... Canceled my Amazon order....
post #76 of 1782
does this play 720p divx files? that's the deal breaker for me.
post #77 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpis View Post

does this play 720p divx files? that's the deal breaker for me.

Got a test file?? Point me somewhere..
post #78 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc4 View Post

Got a test file?? Point me somewhere..

http://trailers.divx.com/Dreamworks/SharkTale_HD.zip
post #79 of 1782
hmmm.. i still haven't opened my 5982... based on some of the feedback so far, although it is a very inexpensive holdover until I decide on Blu-Ray or HDDVD, not sure it is worth it.

anyone else have any comparo's for us?
post #80 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpis View Post

does this play 720p divx files? that's the deal breaker for me.

No Go.
post #81 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi View Post

No Go.

How about a 540p xvid? If you have some time to spare...

Sample

I am really torn between this and the 5960.
post #82 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by biga55 View Post

How about a 540p xvid? If you have some time to spare...

Sample

I am really torn between this and the 5960.

I will give it a try this weekend. I really doubt 5982 plays this one if 5960 can't.
post #83 of 1782
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I doubt it will play either, 480p seems to be the max for most players, including portables.

The xbox with xbmc does 540p and 720p xvid but the output quality sucks.
post #84 of 1782
Someone over on VideoHelp.com thinks it may indeed have a USB 2.0 port because he "was unable to play VOB files from my external harddrive on the 5960, but this one plays them without any stuttering." Hardly conclusive, but FYI.
post #85 of 1782
Gah, can't find any in SF bay area. Want to get this. Amazon is saying a month or more =(
post #86 of 1782
Kris Shoot out got crapy ratings for 5960, so 5982 might be in same league?
post #87 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by biga55 View Post

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I doubt it will play either, 480p seems to be the max for most players, including portables.

The xbox with xbmc does 540p and 720p xvid but the output quality sucks.

can 360 do that, and how?
post #88 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Kris Shoot out got crapy ratings for 5960, so 5982 might be in same league?

It scored a 78 which isn't that bad for a cheapo player.
It is a good player to use as a backup to my Bravo D1 (which is VERY finicky) as it will play everything. Even discs that won't play on any other player due to scratches, etc.

However, the Bravo only scores a 70 yet the PQ is far better. Go figure.
post #89 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoofy24 View Post

Gah, can't find any in SF bay area. Want to get this. Amazon is saying a month or more =(

Got one last week from Sunnyvale BB store and excahnged it for another today.
post #90 of 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

can 360 do that, and how?

No, the 360 can't run xbmc (yet). You can use Tversity to encode and stream xvids to your 360 or use transcode 360 with windows media center but you'd need a powerful PC. In either case, you're better off just using an HTPC at that point for quality and efficiency, unless you can't run the cable to your TV from it.

I've played 720p WMVHD from the 360 and it looks like crap.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Players (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › Philips DVP5982/37 1080P DivX Ultra