or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Yamaha RX-V661 Owners Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamaha RX-V661 Owners Thread. - Page 122

post #3631 of 3910
Hi guys,

I have been fighting to get my 661 set up correctly. It turned out it was defective and the DSP-card (board?) has now been changed.

I am still struggling to get my picture quality correct when using the component-video cables. I don't have HDMI for input yet ...

The problem is that when I pass the componentvideo signal through the amp the colours turn out horrible, specially the very dark and the very bright ones.

When I connect the source straight to the TV its all OK.

Could it only be the cable-quality ?! Or should I try to send it to repairs again (oh god, it will take months to get back ...)

I woudn't want to connect the sources to TV and only get the sound from the amp.

Thanks.
post #3632 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINerT View Post

Hi guys,

I have been fighting to get my 661 set up correctly. It turned out it was defective and the DSP-card (board?) has now been changed.

I am still struggling to get my picture quality correct when using the component-video cables. I don't have HDMI for input yet ...

The problem is that when I pass the componentvideo signal through the amp the colours turn out horrible, specially the very dark and the very bright ones.

When I connect the source straight to the TV its all OK.

Could it only be the cable-quality ?! Or should I try to send it to repairs again (oh god, it will take months to get back ...)

I woudn't want to connect the sources to TV and only get the sound from the amp.

Thanks.

The 661 does not alter video when passed through, so the most likely issue is that you have crossed the cables. If not, then yes it's defective.
post #3633 of 3910
Is there any setting on the 661 to listen to music with 5 speakers+sub connected BUT not giving any signal to the surrounds. Meaning, only signals going to the fronts/center and sub?
post #3634 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchel View Post

Is there any setting on the 661 to listen to music with 5 speakers+sub connected BUT not giving any signal to the surrounds. Meaning, only signals going to the fronts/center and sub?

If you want front only, there's no compelling reason to use the center, especially since center speakers are not designed for music reproduction. Just hit the stereo button on the remote and any input is down-mixed to stereo. If it's a stereo input then just use the "straight" mode. Your sub will not be in use unless your fronts are set to "small". One added caveat is that when down-mixing multi-channel inputs to stereo, some audio quality is lost.
post #3635 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The 661 does not alter video when passed through, so the most likely issue is that you have crossed the cables. If not, then yes it's defective.

In fact the cause was the component video cable !
Had it changed a few days ago and now the picture is fine. I just couldn't believe that a faulty cable could have such an effect ...

Yup, I know crossing the cables might result in similar faults, but had that tested already.


But hey, thanks anyway !
post #3636 of 3910
I paired my Yamaha 661 with an Emotiva UPA-7 driving Magnepan MMG speakers (4 ohm). The difference in sound quality is astonishingly good. The 661 served really well solo, but now it is an excellent pre-amp. I am sure any decent quality external amplifier with adequate power will give great results with driving a difficult 4 ohm load. The source is a PS3. Everything including MP3s sound excellent.

Imu
post #3637 of 3910
Hey guys,
Here's a question you haven't heard before...

I've got the 661 hooked up with 5.1 speakers and i'm not getting any output from my subwoofer at all. I've got the speakers set to small across the board and bass out sent only to the subwoofer with the crossover at 80.

I do not get any output from the sub when running test-tones. The sub is turned on, plugged into the correct output on the receiver and the volume turned up on the sub. Anyone have any other ideas?

Any helps would be better than none at all. Thanks!
post #3638 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrreeve View Post

Hey guys,
Here's a question you haven't heard before...

I've got the 661 hooked up with 5.1 speakers and i'm not getting any output from my subwoofer at all. I've got the speakers set to small across the board and bass out sent only to the subwoofer with the crossover at 80.

I do not get any output from the sub when running test-tones. The sub is turned on, plugged into the correct output on the receiver and the volume turned up on the sub. Anyone have any other ideas?

Any helps would be better than none at all. Thanks!

Make sure the sub is not set to "auto" mode, and run YPAO.
post #3639 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrreeve View Post

Hey guys,
Here's a question you haven't heard before...

I've got the 661 hooked up with 5.1 speakers and i'm not getting any output from my subwoofer at all. I've got the speakers set to small across the board and bass out sent only to the subwoofer with the crossover at 80.

I do not get any output from the sub when running test-tones. The sub is turned on, plugged into the correct output on the receiver and the volume turned up on the sub. Anyone have any other ideas?

Any helps would be better than none at all. Thanks!

There are two jacks on the back panel that are marked subwoofer - are you sure you have the sub cable plugged into the pre-out jack and not the multi-channel input jack? Other than double checking if the internal settings are correct on the 661 and checking the cable, I can't think of anything else that could go wrong - it's all pretty simple.

If you know everything is OK then you need to troubleshoot to figure out if it's the 661, the cable, or the sub that's the problem. The cable is easiest, just grab another cable (or even one of those yellow RCA video cables everyone has laying around) and see if that works.

I'm not sure what you'd do to troubleshoot the sub as I've never had that problem, but I think you might be able to rig an RCA cable with one end cut off to see if the sub gets a signal from a speaker binding post on the back panel. Or maybe plug one RCA plug into the sub pre-out and the bare wire end into a speaker to see if you get a signal from the jack to find out if the sub pre-out jack is the problem. However, again, I'm just guessing how you might go about troubleshooting the sub and the AVR, that's what I'd do but use at your own risk.
post #3640 of 3910
Pretty sure my sub has an issue. I grounded myself, plugged in an RCA cable to the Mono input to the sub and try to tap the end with my finger and got no feedback. In theory, I should be getting some type of buzzing noise or SOMETHING from the sub.
post #3641 of 3910
I recently started integrating a projector into my HT, so I've been trying out a number of SD-DVDs with my V661. Up until now this had been a mostly music system, except for a little experimenting with an old CRT TV, just to see if everything worked. My configuration is as follows:

RX-V661
DVD-S661 (connected via HDMI)
9 regular speakers (L, C, R, SL, SR, SBL, SBR, and L&R presence)
subwoofer

I have a couple of questions:

1. When playing a DVD encoded in Dolby Digital EX (i.e. Star Wars: Episode 1), the V661 never indicates that it's receiving more than 5.1 input. IOW, the "SB" indicator never lights up in the Input Channel Indicators (as shown on pg 27 of the manual). All I get is LFE, L, C, R, SL, and SR. I realize that the default setting for the V661 is 5.1 (I think?), but even when I change the Extended Surround decoder to "ON" and the type to "EX", the SB indicator still doesn't light up. I do, however, get sound from the two back channels. (Although, if the source is DD EX, shouldn't it recognize this? My assumption then, is that the V661 is not recognizing an EX signal flag, correct?)

So, then I'm thinking I need to look into the digital audio output parameters of my source, the S661. I have three choices:
ALL: Select this if you have connected the digital audio output jack to a multi-channel decoder/receiver.

MPEG -> PCM: Select this if your receiver is not capable of decoding MPEG audio signals.

PCM ONLY: Select this only if your receiver is not capable of decoding multi-channel audio signals.
When I select ALL or MPEG -> PCM, I get the results I described above - no SB input indicated. When I select PCM ONLY, all I get is 2-channel input. Is it possible that I just can't get more than 5.1 output from the S661? I really don't know how to tell. (I know... that was a lot of typing for an answer that might just be, "No.")

2. This may or may not be related... I also have noticed that the small bars above and below the Input Channel Indicators (also as shown on page 27 of the manual), the "Presence and surround back speaker indicators," also never seem to light, although the speakers seem to function properly, and are recognized by the V661 during Auto or Manual setup.
post #3642 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post

I recently started integrating a projector into my HT, so I've been trying out a number of SD-DVDs with my V661. Up until now this had been a mostly music system, except for a little experimenting with an old CRT TV, just to see if everything worked. My configuration is as follows:

RX-V661
DVD-S661 (connected via HDMI)
9 regular speakers (L, C, R, SL, SR, SBL, SBR, and L&R presence)
subwoofer

I have a couple of questions:

1. When playing a DVD encoded in Dolby Digital EX (i.e. Star Wars: Episode 1), the V661 never indicates that it's receiving more than 5.1 input. IOW, the "SB" indicator never lights up in the Input Channel Indicators (as shown on pg 27 of the manual). All I get is LFE, L, C, R, SL, and SR. I realize that the default setting for the V661 is 5.1 (I think?), but even when I change the Extended Surround decoder to "ON" and the type to "EX", the SB indicator still doesn't light up. I do, however, get sound from the two back channels. (Although, if the source is DD EX, shouldn't it recognize this? My assumption then, is that the V661 is not recognizing an EX signal flag, correct?)

So, then I'm thinking I need to look into the digital audio output parameters of my source, the S661. I have three choices:
ALL: Select this if you have connected the digital audio output jack to a multi-channel decoder/receiver.

MPEG -> PCM: Select this if your receiver is not capable of decoding MPEG audio signals.

PCM ONLY: Select this only if your receiver is not capable of decoding multi-channel audio signals.
When I select ALL or MPEG -> PCM, I get the results I described above - no SB input indicated. When I select PCM ONLY, all I get is 2-channel input. Is it possible that I just can't get more than 5.1 output from the S661? I really don't know how to tell. (I know... that was a lot of typing for an answer that might just be, "No.")

2. This may or may not be related... I also have noticed that the small bars above and below the Input Channel Indicators (also as shown on page 27 of the manual), the "Presence and surround back speaker indicators," also never seem to light, although the speakers seem to function properly, and are recognized by the V661 during Auto or Manual setup.

You cannot use both SB and presence speakers, you must select one or the other in setup. this is supposed to be done before you run YPAO.

ES and EX are in fact 5.1 audio, the SB mono channel is matrixed. When you view the "signal info" on the OSD you should see an indicator for ES or EX flag, which means that the SB channel is operating and you should hear sound from the back speakers. (assuming you are not selecting "presence" for those channels). Also good to note that not all ES/EX material carries the correct flag, and not all players will transmit the flag if it does exist. this is why many folks just use the PLIIx decoder to create stereo SB channels.
post #3643 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You cannot use both SB and presence speakers, you must select one or the other in setup. this is supposed to be done before you run YPAO.

ES and EX are in fact 5.1 audio, the SB mono channel is matrixed. When you view the "signal info" on the OSD you should see an indicator for ES or EX flag, which means that the SB channel is operating and you should hear sound from the back speakers. (assuming you are not selecting "presence" for those channels). Also good to note that not all ES/EX material carries the correct flag, and not all players will transmit the flag if it does exist. this is why many folks just use the PLIIx decoder to create stereo SB channels.

Thanks rdgrimes. I was hoping you'd respond to this! I didn't mean to imply I was using both SB an Presence at the same time. Obviously, I'm not. But, you don't exactly "select" one or the other during setup. The first part of the setup prior to running YPAO is Extra Speaker Assignment, where you can choose to set the extra speakers to FRONT B, ZONE2, or PRESENCE (or none at all). I realize that presence speakers don't come into play for Dolby Digital and DTS surround modes.

So, what you're telling me is that DD EX will only show 5.1 input, correct? (No SB channel input indicator displayed?) I checked my Signal Info while playing back a DD EX disc, and it reads, "DolbyD" and the channel info shows 3/2/0.1, which I'm guessing means 5.1. I'm also guessing that the weak link here is really the S661 DVD player, which is apparently not outputting a DD EX signal flag, or at least not a DD EX signal.

When I manually set the Extended Surround Decoder to ON and the type to EX, I do get sound out of the SB speakers, and the main display on the V661 reads, "DOLBY D EX," with no actual SB speaker input indicated, so I guess it's not true DD EX, just DD 5.1 matrixed to 7.1.
post #3644 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post

So, what you're telling me is that DD EX will only show 5.1 input, correct? (No SB channel input indicator displayed?) I checked my Signal Info while playing back a DD EX disc, and it reads, "DolbyD" and the channel info shows 3/2/0.1, which I'm guessing means 5.1. I'm also guessing that the weak link here is really the S661 DVD player, which is apparently not outputting a DD EX signal flag, or at least not a DD EX signal.

When I manually set the Extended Surround Decoder to ON and the type to EX, I do get sound out of the SB speakers, and the main display on the V661 reads, "DOLBY D EX," with no actual SB speaker input indicated, so I guess it's not true DD EX, just DD 5.1 matrixed to 7.1.

DD EX is a 5.1 signal. The rear mono channel is matrixed into the surround channels. On the "signal info" OSD, at the bottom is the indicator for the presence of an EX flag. Whether it is there or not, using the EX decoder will produce the same results.
post #3645 of 3910
This is somewhat of a newb question as Im trying to alter my setup.

Is it possible to use the hdmi input just for audio? I currently have it passing audio and video, but since I own a flea, and it does not pass LPCM properly, I have 4 in 2 out hdmi switch.

The two hdmi outputs are the same as a splitter, it outputs the same thing two devices, or display.

Anyway I want to run one output to the flea, and from the flea, to my tv.

The other hdmi output I want to run right into the receiver for hdmi audio.

Will it work this way, just using the receiver hdmi just for audio? Or will there be syncing issues?

Sorry I wont be home for 2 weeks to try this setup.


In simpler terms, imagine if you wanted to use your blue ray player but this machine does not pass 24fps, unless its forced, but you cant force it on your blue ray player. So can you split the hdmi cable and run one into the tv directly and one into the 661 hdmi port for audio.
post #3646 of 3910
Hello!! Just wondering if I want to use an external DAC instead of the conversion in the receiver, is their a setting that will allow for direct passthrough untouched for lossless music audio. Also just to make sure before I buy one will the v661 pass 1080p/24 from the ps3. I know it has been talked about but I am still a little unsure of the answer. Thanks for an input you may have.
post #3647 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballaholic View Post

Hello!! Just wondering if I want to use an external DAC instead of the conversion in the receiver, is their a setting that will allow for direct passthrough untouched for lossless music audio. Also just to make sure before I buy one will the v661 pass 1080p/24 from the ps3. I know it has been talked about but I am still a little unsure of the answer. Thanks for an input you may have.

Yes the 661 passes any and all video via HDMI.

I'm confused as to why you would pass any audio through the 661 to an external DAC. Wouldn't you pass the audio through the DAC first? The only inputs on the 661 that bypass DSP are the multi-channel analog inputs.
post #3648 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Yes the 661 passes any and all video via HDMI.

I'm confused as to why you would pass any audio through the 661 to an external DAC. Wouldn't you pass the audio through the DAC first? The only inputs on the 661 that bypass DSP are the multi-channel analog inputs.

Thanks for the response. What I was meaning was if I had for example an upsampling external DAC that say I hooked up to my cd player before the signal got to the receiver, so it had already gone through the DA conversion, could I just send this upsampled signal through the receiver untouched and out to the speakers. Thanks
post #3649 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballaholic View Post

Thanks for the response. What I was meaning was if I had for example an upsampling external DAC that say I hooked up to my cd player before the signal got to the receiver, so it had already gone through the DA conversion, could I just send this upsampled signal through the receiver untouched and out to the speakers. Thanks

Yes, well the m-ch analog inputs bypass DSP, but you would need to ask Yamaha if they bypass A-D/D-A conversion. If your DAC is outputting analog, the M-ch analog inputs would be the best way to go, though I'll argue that you won't hear any difference. If it's outputting bitstream, then you really have gained nothing audible.

FWIW, you gain almost nothing by upsampling bitstreamed CD audio, and even stand to lose. The 661 will upsample bitstreamed CDA to 192Hz for DSP anyway, except in Pure Direct mode.
post #3650 of 3910
Hey guys, I have rather newb question... I currently have the 661 hooked via hdmi to my PS3 and 65" Mits Dlp . It all looks and sounds amazing! The only thing is, I'd like to get more out of my two surrounds. They are directly in the ceiling over the sofa and the effect is nice, with blurays like King kong but I'd like it stronger. I have an older JVC 5.1 receiver that I'd like to hook via multichannel to the JVC to drive the rears for more "pop". I want to use the rear outs on the 661 and the FRONT main in's on the JVC. How do I go about this? As far as settings on the 661, what do I change? Thank you!
post #3651 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighdefJoe View Post

Hey guys, I have rather newb question... I currently have the 661 hooked via hdmi to my PS3 and 65" Mits Dlp . It all looks and sounds amazing! The only thing is, I'd like to get more out of my two surrounds. They are directly in the ceiling over the sofa and the effect is nice, with blurays like King kong but I'd like it stronger. I have an older JVC 5.1 receiver that I'd like to hook via multichannel to the JVC to drive the rears for more "pop". I want to use the rear outs on the 661 and the FRONT main in's on the JVC. How do I go about this? As far as settings on the 661, what do I change? Thank you!

Why not just turn up the levels on the surrounds? You did run YPAO on your setup, right?

To answer the question, you can use any combination of analog out and speaker out, but you cannot use both analog and speaker on the same channel.
Any time you make a change, you should run YPAO again.
post #3652 of 3910
I have the surround levels at max. I never ran YPAO. Does it really make a difference?
post #3653 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighdefJoe View Post

I have the surround levels at max. I never ran YPAO. Does it really make a difference?

Does an automated 7 band, 7 channel parametric EQ and accurate level and distance setting have any value?

If your surrounds are at max level, then you have some other issue to deal with like a serious mismatch or connection problem. But without running YPAO you'll never know. Read the manual.
post #3654 of 3910
test tone has the rears at the same level as the fronts. But during movie playback the effect is lessened. I don't have any dsp modes in use either
post #3655 of 3910
Guys,
I can get this receiver at a great price but originally wanted the 663. Is there much of a difference? I noticed there isn't a sirius jack in the back and I want to use Sirius, is it still possible with this reciever? will I lose any Sirius functionality by not having the 663? How much difference will the upgraded HDMI version in the 663 make? Anything else different that is wort spending 100 bucks more to get the 663?
post #3656 of 3910
You are right that the '661 lacks Sirius Radio control ability (it does XM only) but the '663 has it. The new audio decoders in the '663 may or may not be any improvement over what you would get with the RX-V661. Many Blu-ray players (including the Sony Playstation 3) decode all the formats internally already.
post #3657 of 3910
Does anyone know what blue ray players will work passing 24P, besides the Ps3?

Is the ps3 the only one? Does any of the panasonic, sony, or samsung blue ray players pass 24fps through it.
post #3658 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Does anyone know what blue ray players will work passing 24P, besides the Ps3?

Is the ps3 the only one? Does any of the panasonic, sony, or samsung blue ray players pass 24fps through it.

The 661 pases anything it's fed from any player.
post #3659 of 3910
Hi guys, I have a strange problem I hope you can help me with. I did a quick search of this thread but I didn't see anything like what I'm experiencing.

When I am watching a video source that is connected via hdmi (hd dvd player or stb), my 661 will shut itself off without warning. I'll be sitting there watching a movie and it just cuts off.

If I am watching an hd dvd, I can turn the 661 back on, rewind to a point in the movie prior to shutoff and during replay, the 661 will shut itself off again at the same point in the movie. There are multiple points on multiple discs that are making this happen. To be sure it wasn't a problem with the hd player, I tried the stb as the video source and the 661 shut off again.

I have a standard dvd player hooked up via component and that plays without issue. Listening to audio cd's doesn't cause a problem either.

I have never seen anything like this and my warranty expired one month ago, so I'm really hoping you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance, Kirk.
post #3660 of 3910
Upon further inspection, it is apparent that the hdmi hookups have nothing to do with my problem. It seems that any source material that is in surround, played at moderate volume or higher causes the 661 to kick off. I'm starting to wonder if I just have a shorted speaker somewhere. The two fronts seem ok since the unit didn't kick off in 2 ch playback, so I'll have to check the center and surrounds.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Yamaha RX-V661 Owners Thread.