or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Yamaha RX-V661 Owners Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamaha RX-V661 Owners Thread. - Page 125

post #3721 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The composite and S-video inputs and circuits are related to the component, which is why I wondered if they are working correctly. Also whether you can get the OSD on the TV through component.

I'd question whether sending it off for service is cost-effective. A new V665 can be had for $350, although it doesn't have as good an amp. If you have enough inputs on the TV, bypassing the 661 for video is the best route. Even buying a video switcher would be cheaper and easier than repairing the 661.

Thanks for all your fast replies rdgrimes. The AVR is still under warranty so it should be good to go as for servicing. The entire system is barely 1 year old, so I don't want to put more money into it unless I absolutely have to. All the equipment is in a central room with cables through the walls, so bypassing the AVR for video is nearly impossible at this point.

Thanks again,
Brandon
post #3722 of 3910
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in the hundreds of pages but I don't have time to go through them all.

I just installed a Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Sound Card in my PC and I have the red light coming out the Optical cable but I can't get any sound out of the 661. I tried all 3 Optical in ports. I want to play my music etc out of my PC and through the AV system to my Polk Speakers.

Am I trying to do something this AV receiver can't do?

What am I doing wrong?

Help me please?
post #3723 of 3910
Hello, everytime I play a bluray dvd my receiver shuts down when there is a loud explosion in a movie, it never used to do this before...have a polk audio sound bar and subwoofer and a panasonic bluray dvd... any suggestions or take it to the shop?
post #3724 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoey View Post

Hello, everytime I play a bluray dvd my receiver shuts down when there is a loud explosion in a movie, it never used to do this before...have a polk audio sound bar and subwoofer and a panasonic bluray dvd... any suggestions or take it to the shop?

Remove speaker wires one at a time to identify which channel is the issue. Once isolated, replace that speaker wire and see if that fixes it.
post #3725 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoey View Post

Hello, everytime I play a bluray dvd my receiver shuts down when there is a loud explosion in a movie, it never used to do this before...have a polk audio sound bar and subwoofer and a panasonic bluray dvd... any suggestions or take it to the shop?

Assuming its not something simple, like shorted speaker wires:

When this happened to me, it was an overload condition on the amplifier, from the explosion. It happened to me at only 1 spot in 1 movie. I had Polk Monitor 50 speakers connected to a Pioneer AVR. I replaced the Pioneer with the RX-V661, which handled the explosion, and sounded generaly much cleaner
post #3726 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghappy View Post

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in the hundreds of pages but I don't have time to go through them all.

I just installed a Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Sound Card in my PC and I have the red light coming out the Optical cable but I can't get any sound out of the 661. I tried all 3 Optical in ports. I want to play my music etc out of my PC and through the AV system to my Polk Speakers.

Am I trying to do something this AV receiver can't do?

What am I doing wrong?

Help me please?

I am doing just that with the coaxial input on my 661. Several things need to happen:
1. Your sound card needs to send the signal to the optical output. They usually don't default to that, so make sure that is working.
2. You need to assign the optical input to one of the audio inputs, such as "CD". You do that in the setup menu.
3. Select the assigned input on your receiver.
post #3727 of 3910
Hey Guys,

Just received my Rx-V661 from ebay. Temporarally replacing an RX-V361 in my spare room. Hope to eventually move it to my main setup in my living room, to replace an RX-V659. I have Samsuck BDP1400, and an SA 3250HD hooked up via HDMI. Finally able to hear lossless via pcm. I must say there is a major difference.
I have a Panny BD35 and a HD-a35 in the living room using optical into the 659. Gonna play with the 661 for awhile, trying out 7.1 setup and presense in the spare room to determine which I like better since it will be easier to move things around in here. It's a real pain to move my entertainment center in the living room plus having to hide the speaker wires for the WAF.
post #3728 of 3910
Does anyone know if this receiver when connected to a ps3 will output 1080p/24fps? I've been reading conflicting reports about the 1080p/24 capabilities of this receiver...works for some, not for others. Is there a sure fire list of BR players that handshake well with this receiver and are indeed passing 24fps? thanks
post #3729 of 3910
I thought all Yamaha receivers since fall '07 or so have passed 1080p/24?
post #3730 of 3910
My Yamaha RX-861 will pass 1080p/24 BUT, if I set my BDP-S500 to auto it will only output 1080p/60 not 24. The monitor is a Pioneer PRO-111FD that indeed accepts 1080p/24 and if the BD player is connected directly, on auto it will then output 1080p/24. Strange, must be something with HDMI protocols in the two pieces.

P.E.Hannon
post #3731 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubsr1 View Post

Does anyone know if this receiver when connected to a ps3 will output 1080p/24fps? I've been reading conflicting reports about the 1080p/24 capabilities of this receiver...works for some, not for others. Is there a sure fire list of BR players that handshake well with this receiver and are indeed passing 24fps? thanks

Yes, it passes 1080/24p just fine.
post #3732 of 3910
Hi there. I'm having a problem with my subwoofer (Jensen SPX-17) outputting bass during blu-ray playback and registering during the RX-V661 auto setup.
I have been noticing a distinct lack of bass when playing blu-rays on my PS3. Other sources seem OK, games on the 360 have a kick as do regular DVD's on my Oppo.
I've been playing around in the amp's setup menus trying to discover why so little bass is active during the blu-ray playback.

The sub is plugged into the amp's sub pre-out, and as shown in the picture, plugged into the sub where I think it should be. The light at the front of the sub turns green during playback, so something's going through, but it's barely a ripple.
The strange thing is, whenever I run auto setup on the amp with the microphone it actually bypasses the subwoofer altogether (speakers are set to large, lfe/out is set to front). I have to manually set things back to small and set the LFE level as 'SW'. I still get next to nothing when playing a blu-ray.

I'd really appreciate if someone could walk me through the RX-V661 audio settings (make sure I have chosen the right options), and maybe check the image I've attached to see if I'm doing something wrong there as well.

Hope you can help!
LL
post #3733 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonflynn View Post

Hi there. I'm having a problem with my subwoofer (Jensen SPX-17) outputting bass during blu-ray playback and registering during the RX-V661 auto setup.
I have been noticing a distinct lack of bass when playing blu-rays on my PS3. Other sources seem OK, games on the 360 have a kick as do regular DVD's on my Oppo.
I've been playing around in the amp's setup menus trying to discover why so little bass is active during the blu-ray playback.

The sub is plugged into the amp's sub pre-out, and as shown in the picture, plugged into the sub where I think it should be. The light at the front of the sub turns green during playback, so something's going through, but it's barely a ripple.
The strange thing is, whenever I run auto setup on the amp with the microphone it actually bypasses the subwoofer altogether (speakers are set to large, lfe/out is set to front). I have to manually set things back to small and set the LFE level as 'SW'. I still get next to nothing when playing a blu-ray.

I'd really appreciate if someone could walk me through the RX-V661 audio settings (make sure I have chosen the right options), and maybe check the image I've attached to see if I'm doing something wrong there as well.

Hope you can help!

If the sub is set to "auto-on" it may not get picked up correctly when you run YPAO. Be sure the sub is running, then start YPAO.

Once finished, assuming it turns out right, check to see that YPAO has set the sub level close to "0"db. If not, adjust the level on the sub itself and re-run till you get closer to "0".
post #3734 of 3910
Unfortunately that made no difference. The auto setup excludes the subwoofer from the system whether it is on Auto or On. I have to include it through the manual setup, and change the front and surround speakers back to Small.

When I do include it, on the Speaker Level page, I don't feel anything when highlighting the subwoofer (it defaults to the middle, two vertical lines). All the other speakers output the test tone, but the sub is dead quiet.

It sounds like it's not connected properly to the amp if the YPAO does not detect it, but I can't see what's wrong. Here's hoping someone with more experience than me can shed some light on the subject!
post #3735 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonflynn View Post

It sounds like it's not connected properly to the amp if the YPAO does not detect it, but I can't see what's wrong. Here's hoping someone with more experience than me can shed some light on the subject!

So, how IS it connected?
post #3736 of 3910
As I said in my first post, it's plugged into the Subwoofer Pre-out socket.
Is there somewhere else it should be connected?
post #3737 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonflynn View Post

As I said in my first post, it's plugged into the Subwoofer Pre-out socket.
Is there somewhere else it should be connected?

Nope, unless the sub is in some way designed to accept only full-range stereo line inputs. Some older subs are like that, but I'll refer you to the sub manual. Needless to say there's also the chance that the sub is FUBAR.

From the way you describe it, the sub is receiving re-directed bass from other channels but not receiving an LFE channel. Please triple-check that the sub is connected to the sub-out jack and not the sub-in jack. Beyond that I'd suggest resetting the 661 to factory defaults and starting fresh, since you may have enabled some mode of DSP or setting that effects this stuff.
post #3738 of 3910
Thanks for the help, but nothing seems to work. I reset the amp, but auto setup still didn't pick up the subwoofer. The sub is definitely in the Subwoofer Pre-Out.
I'll try to borrow another sub to test whether mine is busted.
On the setup menu, I noticed the Dynamic Range setting goes to Max. The description in the manual was confusing, as I thought DR compression was bad but it suggests Max as the preferred setting.
post #3739 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonflynn View Post

Thanks for the help, but nothing seems to work. I reset the amp, but auto setup still didn't pick up the subwoofer. The sub is definitely in the Subwoofer Pre-Out.
I'll try to borrow another sub to test whether mine is busted.
On the setup menu, I noticed the Dynamic Range setting goes to Max. The description in the manual was confusing, as I thought DR compression was bad but it suggests Max as the preferred setting.

Yes, "max" is the same as "no compression" for that.

Seems like maybe the sub is the problem, I have nothing else to offer. You can, of course, make all the appropriate settings manually. (large, crossover, level, etc) But YPAO not picking it up is a bad sign.
post #3740 of 3910
Doing the manual setup still doesn't get the LFE signal through, just the redirected bass as you stated.
Are subwoofer cables unique? Will just any cable with the right connections do the job? I might try a different cable before shopping around for a new sub.
I assume the stereo L/R end isn't mandatory, would a single mono connection work with a subwoofer just as well (plugged into either the L or R)?
post #3741 of 3910
Trying a different cable never hurts. You can use a mono cable but put a Y adapter on the sub end so you're feeding both sub channels. A stereo cable still requires that you work out a way to be feeding both channels, since you have one connector on the amp end and 2 on the sub end. Again, the sub manual should provide more info on connections.
post #3742 of 3910
I currently connected simple 2 channel rca left and right cables to the dvd input of my yamaha (it also uses hdmi for video, but 2ch rca analog) I only use this for listening to two channel loseless music.

THeir asking me in the audio theory forum if this machine does base management when the rca is connected to the 2ch dvd input. I also use the 7ch option that outputs 2 channel to all my speakers.

Note im not refering to the multichannel input, but the inputs for left and right rca phono plugs.


If anyone can tell me it would be greatly appreciated.
post #3743 of 3910
Im also curious in the equalizer i have mine set to auto PEQ, is that or a setting, or can I also change the center geq and it will work? Or do you have to pick one or the other?
post #3744 of 3910
Bass management is applied to all inputs.

PEQ setting is required to utilize the YPAO corrections. GEQ only effects the center channel and leaves all other channels flat.
post #3745 of 3910
Wow thanks for the quick response. I maybe confusing this since im not an audio purist. But what I basically did, is attached 2 rca cables from my pc sound card, to listen to 2 channel flac music. I didnt plug it in the multichannel one on the receiver, but the dvd left and right input (since im using dvd input for hdmi video from my pc)

So crossover and such still applies using the 2 right and left rca cables, i have crossover set to 80 on the yamaha.

They were just asking me if my receiver only does base management over digital.
post #3746 of 3910
Bass management is applied to all inputs. (except multi-channel analog)
post #3747 of 3910
Ah ok, makes sense, thats where I remember reading it was not applied back when I had my Toshiba A1 a couple years back and hooked it up through analog.
post #3748 of 3910
Isn't the Yamaha RX-V661 able to passthrough 1080p/24Hz properly?
It is not working with my Panny BD60 to Sammy PN50B650 plasma.
If I bypass the Yamaha both the player and plasma allow me to set 1080p/24Hz properly, but not if I try hdmi passthrough ??
post #3749 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Yes, it passes 1080/24p just fine.

Can you take a peak at my post above and let me know what I am missing?
post #3750 of 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Isn't the Yamaha RX-V661 able to passthrough 1080p/24Hz properly?
It is not working with my Panny BD60 to Sammy PN50B650 plasma.
If I bypass the Yamaha both the player and plasma allow me to set 1080p/24Hz properly, but not if I try hdmi passthrough ??

The 661 does not have any settings or processing that affect HDMI video in any way. Whatever comes in is what goes out.

Would help if you state what DOES happen with the 661 in the chain. But whatever the display is receiving is what the player is sending. Make sure the 661 is NOT set to pass HDMI audio. You could also try swapping in different HDMI cables.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Yamaha RX-V661 Owners Thread.