or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Unofficial HD DVD Audio and Video Specifications Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unofficial HD DVD Audio and Video Specifications Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 119
Mods, please make this thread sticky.
post #62 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Mods, please make this thread sticky.

I second that emotion. It has a ton of great info and it sucks having to go look for it when I need to look something up. Kudos, benes.
post #63 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post

I'm not going to get in an arguement with you again. Whether it is over the superiority of DD+ 1.5 mbps to DD 640 kbps which you admit but won't let go of for some reason. Or whether it is over Dolby TrueHD, etc rinse repeat. If you want to continue your useless rants just PM me.

It's probably best for you to give up while you're behind. Darin contributes a ton of information and knowledge to this site and it would behoove you to listen to what he has to say. If you pay attention, you just might learn something.
post #64 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

It's probably best for you to give up while you're behind. Darin contributes a ton of information and knowledge to this site and it would behoove you to listen to what he has to say. If you pay attention, you just might learn something.

Interesting thing is, he hasn't PM'd me. Because he doesn't care about information, he cares about character assassination. Mainly because I support HD DVD, and I'm not going to play that game with him whether he likes it or not.
post #65 of 119
Full Disclosure:

I've met Darin personally and I can say without a doubt that he's not the type of person who would attack someone's character nor is he mean spirited in any way. He's an audio video fan with few hatchets to bury.

I think for the sake of "discussion" many of us are more agressive online than we would be in person.

I appreciate the conversion and debate here in this thread. Just keep it on topic and free of personal attacks and the mods can leave it as is and we all can decide for ourselves what point or points we agree most with. All the best
post #66 of 119
Can a mod please sticky this?? Maybe make a new thread without all of the arguing. The BD section has theirs stickied and its much more up to date. I would be willing to add the HD DVD titles I have if we keep this updated.
post #67 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post

Can a mod please sticky this?? Maybe make a new thread without all of the arguing. The BD section has theirs stickied and its much more up to date. I would be willing to add the HD DVD titles I have if we keep this updated.

sticky

If the bickering continues, will have to review again

posts deleted
post #68 of 119
Did these 3 tonight. I don't know how to calculate the bitrates though.

Code:
                                                                                        Calculated
Title           Codec   Length          Movie Size      Disc Size       Total Bitrate   Video Bitrate   Main Audio Track        IME     Secondary Audio Track
-----           -----   -------         --------------  --------------  -------------   -------------   -------------------     ---     ---------------------
Blood Diamond   VC-1    2:23:13         19,582,244,864* 23,873,716,224                                  Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
District B13    VC-1    1:24:27         12,407,087,104  14,644,151,272                                  Dolby TrueHD 5.1 EX ENG No      (2) DDPlus 5.1 EX 640Kbps FRA & ENG
The Hitcher     VC-1    1:23:44         15,817,179,136* 18,897,174,528                                  DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps     Yes
post #69 of 119
Please post the stats for

1. Flags of our Fathers
2. 300
3. The Island
4. T2
post #70 of 119
Could someone please explain what, if any, impact seamless branching has on video bitrate ceilings?

Thanks.
post #71 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

Could someone please explain what, if any, impact seamless branching has on video bitrate ceilings?

Thanks.

I don't think seamless branching has any impact on bitrate: the rules are more regarding how far away the two things are as I recall. Or maybe we are talking about different things: what exactly are you referring to in this?

However multi-angle does have an impact of course.
post #72 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

A few people finally asked for it so here it is. For the Calculated Video Bitrates I used the same methodology as my blu-ray list. But since HD DVD streams have less overhead I believe these numbers to be more accurate. However things like IME and TrueHD throw a monkeywrench into the calcuations because of their variable bitrates. But I have used the numbers provided by our old friend cjplay and as far as I can tell they are very accurate. I think that the video bitrates are accurate to within + or - 1Mbps.

One of the main reasons for these lists is to show the audio specs which are not otherwise easily available. For the "advanced codecs" here are the conclusions I have come to:

Warner uses 16bit/48khz TrueHD (lossless)
Universal uses 24bit/48khz TrueHD (lossless)
Studio Canal uses 16bit/48khz DTS-HD Master Audio (lossless)
The few DTS-HD High Resolution tracks we have are 24bit/48khz (lossy)

The one thing I have no way of figuring out is what the sampling rate is on the 1.5Mbps DD+ tracks. I have heard claims of all three (16bit, 20bit, and 24bit). Perhaps someone in the know can shed light on this.

For the 640Kbps DD+ tracks I'm pretty sure they are 16/48 just like regular AC3 tracks at the same bitrate.

Happy to oblige.
DTS has many flavours.
DTS Core Audio is at either 1509 KBPS or 768KBPS, and can be from 16/20 or 24 bit audio with a sample rate of 48KHz.
All DTS decoders can decode these streams.
DTS-HD gets confusing.
What you have are the following:
DTS-HD Core Audio - see above.
DTS-HD High Resolution 7.1 or 5.1 can have a bit depth of up to 24 (preferred) and a bit rate of either 2046, 2304, 2559, 2814 or 3018Kbps.
Sample rate can be 48KHz or 96KHz.
DTS-HD MAS is a true, VBR lossless stream with a built-in DTS core at up to 1509Kbps, so the stream is fully backwards compatible.
One of the great secrets of DTS encoding is that the resulting file always sounds better from a 24 bit source.

As far as DD and DD+ goes - the same applies. Encode from a 24 bit source, and the results are allegedly better. The file will still be exactly the same.
I always encode even "regular" DD from 24 bit source files, never mind DD+.
(Still not really sure about the point of DD+. Regular DD can encode at up to 640kbps already - but DTS is superior anyway.

Hope this helps!

EDIT
Why anybody would bother using 16 bit Audio for a DTS encode is beyond my comprehension!
post #73 of 119
Is the DTS track for Riddick really DTS-HD, or just regular DTS?
post #74 of 119
thank YOU benes for providing this list. i was actually looking through it to find only the truehd movies =P. i plan to grow my HD DVD collection with TrueHD movies and then wait for the rest of the titles on the list to double dip with TrueHD later on . so here's a list of HD DVD's copied from your list with TrueHD that i plan to acquire 1by1. so far i have none from this list.

Code:
Title                                   Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main Audio Track        IME     Secondary Audio Track
-----                                   -----   ------- --------------  --------------  ------- ------- -------------------     ---     ---------------------
300                                     VC-1    1:56:25 19,736,766,464*~27,914,760,868  22.60   17.55   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Alpha Dog                               VC-1    1:57:38 19,616,337,920*~20,744,773,146  22.23   16.11   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  768Kbps
The Ant Bully                           VC-1    1:28:59 10,827,286,528 ~12,676,429,247  16.22   12.67   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Batman Begins                           VC-1    2:19:54 19,857,584,128* 26,635,886,280  18.92   13.87   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Blood Diamond                           VC-1    2:23:13 19,582,244,864* 23,873,716,224                  Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Clerks II                               AVC     1:37:26 15,353,753,600*~25,286,788,924  21.01   14.56   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps
Constantine                             VC-1    2:00:40 16,428,066,816*~23,577,881,904  18.15   13.55   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Darkman                                 VC-1    1:35:16 15,842,979,840*~16,340,124,021  22.17   17.81   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  448Kbps
The Departed                            VC-1    2:31:10 21,377,927,168*~23,841,698,102  18.85   15.30   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
End of Days                             VC-1    2:02:04 24,170,549,248*~29,777,088,145  26.40   20.00   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas          VC-1    1:58:21 21,253,750,784*~22,917,366,426  23.94   17.74   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps
Happy Feet                              VC-1    1:48:25 14,148,732,928*~15,917,706,947  17.40   13.85   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Harsh Times                             AVC     1:56:08 18,027,251,712*~24,203,136,522  20.69   15.34   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps
Lady in the Water                       VC-1    1:49:32 12,218,064,896*~14,896,261,033  14.87   11.10   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Letters from Iwo Jima                   VC-1    2:20:29 20,820,930,560*~27,442,486,437  19.76   17.49   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
The Matrix                              VC-1    2:16:09 23,014,805,504*~25,954,501,000  22.53   17.93   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
The Matrix Reloaded                     VC-1    2:18:07 20,500,867,072*~26,691,056,502  19.79   15.19   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
The Matrix Revolutions                  VC-1    2:09:08 19,347,277,824*~22,853,133,346  19.97   15.37   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
The Perfect Storm                       VC-1    2:09:42 23,245,844,480*~25,807,480,412  23.89   20.22   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
The Phantom of the Opera (2004)         VC-1    2:20:56 19,773,874,176*~26,721,533,641  18.70   15.79   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Poseidon                                VC-1    1:38:07 14,963,316,736*~19,710,369,691  20.33   15.28   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Superman Returns                        VC-1    2:34:19 21,541,732,352*~29,503,173,909  18.61   15.06   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Training Day                            VC-1    2:01:55 18,444,447,744*~21,519,646,331  20.17   16.87   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Troy                                    VC-1    2:42:38 21,380,915,200*~24,309,557,155  17.52   12.92   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
V for Vendetta                          VC-1    2:12:24 16,665,464,832* 20,609,980,670  16.78   12.37   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
post #75 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post

thank YOU benes for providing this list. i was actually looking through it to find only the truehd movies =P. i plan to grow my HD DVD collection with TrueHD movies and then wait for the rest of the titles on the list to double dip with TrueHD later on . so here's a list of HD DVD's copied from your list with TrueHD that i plan to acquire 1by1. so far i have none from this list.

Code:
Title                                   Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main Audio Track        IME     Secondary Audio Track
-----                                   -----   ------- --------------  --------------  ------- ------- -------------------     ---     ---------------------
300                                     VC-1    1:56:25 19,736,766,464*~27,914,760,868  22.60   17.55   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Alpha Dog                               VC-1    1:57:38 19,616,337,920*~20,744,773,146  22.23   16.11   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  768Kbps
The Ant Bully                           VC-1    1:28:59 10,827,286,528 ~12,676,429,247  16.22   12.67   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Batman Begins                           VC-1    2:19:54 19,857,584,128* 26,635,886,280  18.92   13.87   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Blood Diamond                           VC-1    2:23:13 19,582,244,864* 23,873,716,224                  Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Clerks II                               AVC     1:37:26 15,353,753,600*~25,286,788,924  21.01   14.56   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps
Constantine                             VC-1    2:00:40 16,428,066,816*~23,577,881,904  18.15   13.55   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Darkman                                 VC-1    1:35:16 15,842,979,840*~16,340,124,021  22.17   17.81   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  448Kbps
The Departed                            VC-1    2:31:10 21,377,927,168*~23,841,698,102  18.85   15.30   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
End of Days                             VC-1    2:02:04 24,170,549,248*~29,777,088,145  26.40   20.00   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas          VC-1    1:58:21 21,253,750,784*~22,917,366,426  23.94   17.74   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps
Happy Feet                              VC-1    1:48:25 14,148,732,928*~15,917,706,947  17.40   13.85   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Harsh Times                             AVC     1:56:08 18,027,251,712*~24,203,136,522  20.69   15.34   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 24-bit No      DDPlus 5.1 1536Kbps
Lady in the Water                       VC-1    1:49:32 12,218,064,896*~14,896,261,033  14.87   11.10   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Letters from Iwo Jima                   VC-1    2:20:29 20,820,930,560*~27,442,486,437  19.76   17.49   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
The Matrix                              VC-1    2:16:09 23,014,805,504*~25,954,501,000  22.53   17.93   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
The Matrix Reloaded                     VC-1    2:18:07 20,500,867,072*~26,691,056,502  19.79   15.19   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
The Matrix Revolutions                  VC-1    2:09:08 19,347,277,824*~22,853,133,346  19.97   15.37   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
The Perfect Storm                       VC-1    2:09:42 23,245,844,480*~25,807,480,412  23.89   20.22   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
The Phantom of the Opera (2004)         VC-1    2:20:56 19,773,874,176*~26,721,533,641  18.70   15.79   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Poseidon                                VC-1    1:38:07 14,963,316,736*~19,710,369,691  20.33   15.28   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Superman Returns                        VC-1    2:34:19 21,541,732,352*~29,503,173,909  18.61   15.06   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Training Day                            VC-1    2:01:55 18,444,447,744*~21,519,646,331  20.17   16.87   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit No      DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
Troy                                    VC-1    2:42:38 21,380,915,200*~24,309,557,155  17.52   12.92   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps
V for Vendetta                          VC-1    2:12:24 16,665,464,832* 20,609,980,670  16.78   12.37   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 16-bit Yes     DDPlus 5.1  640Kbps

thanks Jedi. I was looking for the exact same info...
post #76 of 119
well, the list actually not complete since there have been more films that have come out with truehd. gonna try to update it when i have time @work .
post #77 of 119
gonna make this even simpler. here is a list of non-music/concert movies that HAVE hi-res audio to begin with. it is ALL TrueHD unless otherwise noted:
2001: A Space Odyssey
300
A Mighty Heart
A Clockwork Orange
Accepted
Alpha Dog
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
The Ant Bully
The Architect
Balls of Fury
Batman Begins
Battlestar Galactica: Season One
Black Christmas
Blade Runner: The Final Cut (all editions)
Blood Diamond
The Bourne Ultimatum
Carlito's Way
Carlito's Way: Rise to Power
Cat People (1982)
Clear and Present Danger
Clerks II
Constantine
Darkman
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
The Departed
Eastern Promises
Elizabeth
End of Days
Evening
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Feast
For the love of the Game
The Getaway (1994)
Happy Feet
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harsh Times
Heartbreak Kid
Hot Rod
The Hunt For Red October
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
Inside Man
The Invasion
The Kingdom
Lady in the Water
The Last Starfighter
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Lost City
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
Mobsters
Mr. Bean's Holiday
Next
Notting Hill
Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps
Pan's Labyrinth (DTS-HD MA 7.1!)
Patch Adams
Patriot Games
The Perfect Storm
The Phantom of the Opera (2004)
The Pianist
Poseidon
Pride & Prejudice (2005)
Pulse
Purple Rain
The Reaping
Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise
School for Scoundrels
Seed of Chucky
The Shinning
Star Trek: The Original Series -- The Complete First Season
The Sopranos Season 6 - Part II
The Sum of All Fears
Superman Returns
Talk to Me
That’s Entertainment: The Complete Collection
TMNT
Top Gun
Training Day
Tremors
Troy
Troy: Director's Cut
Twilight Zone: The Movie
V for Vendetta
The War
We Are Marshall
White Noise
The Wicker Man
The World's Fastest Indian
post #78 of 119
Great thread. @OP. Is there anyway you can re-post your list as an .xls? I would love to be able to print the list for future buying references. Thanks in advance.
post #79 of 119
Can someone post the information for Transformers?

Thanks,
John
post #80 of 119
Transformers specs please!!
post #81 of 119
so the video bitrate listed is the average or peak?
post #82 of 119
love the thread but any chance we can optimize the list for widescreen monitors? otherwise I find myself copying and pasting the whole thing into notepad.... no need to have to scroll left to right.

thanks!
post #83 of 119
I have taken the liberty to reformat the data into a .xls file format.

Franzius

 

HD-movies.zip 19.017578125k . file
post #84 of 119
Thanks Franzius. Looks nice.
post #85 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

It's probably best for you to give up while you're behind. Darin contributes a ton of information and knowledge to this site and it would behoove you to listen to what he has to say. If you pay attention, you just might learn something.

Both Darin and Michael have made valuable contributions on this site. Both also have a clear bias. Michael's screen name makes his loyalties a little more obvious, but Darin has his as well. Darin's is just a little harder to find because of his massive post count. Both are educated consumers and both have a bias. I have personally debated both on several occasions and have learned to appreciate their intelligence and dedication to their format of choice.

We don't know if King Kong would have been able to handle TrueHD because we don't know what the peak bit-rates for the video and PiP features on KK were nor what the peak bit-rate for a TrueHD soundtrack would be. It may very well be true that TrueHD would have exceeded the peak bit-rate that HD DVD is capable of. Score that one as a probable true statement from Darin.

We know that Universal RARELY includes TrueHD tracks on their films. We also know that WHV has included TrueHD, IME and stellar video encodes on several films. Those can be scored as true statements for Michael.

The truth of the matter is that Universal would have had a hard time fitting a TrueHD soundtrack within the bit-rate budget for the KK HD DVD, but even if they could have done it without a hitch they might not have done so because they only include TrueHD in about 1 in 25 or 30 films.

Another truth is that the VC-1 encode has been evolving over the last year and KK could probably reach the same level of PQ at a lower video bit-rate if it were encoded again today. That being the case I think they are both correct; Darin when he says that TrueHD on KK was theoretically impossible on HD DVD last year and Micheal when he says that TrueHD on KK is theoretically possible today.

I would be really impressed if both could admit to these facts, but having debated both of them I'm not going to hold my breath.
post #86 of 119
from my own TrueHD list, i have since collected:
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Battlestar Galactica: Season One
Carlito's Way
Constantine
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
The Shinning
Superman Returns (combo)
TMNT
Top Gun
Troy: Director's Cut
V for Vendetta
post #87 of 119
Anyone have the full specs for "face off"? This movie has to be the best transfer to HD, both in audio & video that I have ever seen & heard. NO hyperbole here guys, I have seen the 300/Transformers etc... this is the first time I actually did not need to touch the volume control when whatching this in DD+. In, fact the DTS sounded even fuller to me. Anyone else see this movie yet?

Set UP : Pioneer Kuro 6010 (calibrated), A2 , Integra 7.6 AVR with HDMI.

Paul
post #88 of 119
Besides the DNR-ed look on Face/Off the PQ and the SQ was top notch.

Mr. benes, Please try to post the stats for Face/Off and Pans Labyrinth.
post #89 of 119
I am curious -- being format neutral, I purchased the Harry Potter movies on Blu-ray (a BOGO) and there are no scene indexes in the menus and the menus look like somebody typed them on an old Remington typewriter (I won't explain what that ancient device is for you young'uns, you can Google it)

Are there full menus including scene selections in the HD-DVD versions of Harry Potter?

MikeSp
post #90 of 119
Yes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Unofficial HD DVD Audio and Video Specifications Thread