or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › The official final DTV Table Of Allotments/channel change thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official final DTV Table Of Allotments/channel change thread - Page 237

post #7081 of 7384
Yep, looks good, and you're welcome.
post #7082 of 7384
Quote:

Quote:


The power limit for low-power VHF stations has been increased to 3 kW ERP, up from the previous rule of 0.3 kW ERP.

That's noteworthy. Can an existing 300 watter file immediately for the increased power? (There are some full service stations [WTVI and others] currently operating on VHF with less power than what the new cap will be).
post #7083 of 7384
I would imagine they have to wait for the effective date of the order, but otherwise, I don't see why not.

- Trip
post #7084 of 7384
I would also guess that any 300w highband LD anywhere near a full-service DT on a same, or adjacent, RF channel would have to protect the full-service DT from interference, by either going directional, reducing height, or changing TL, before they could go to 3kw - a lot of them simply would not increase power.
post #7085 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! View Post

I would also guess that any 300w highband LD anywhere near a full-service DT on a same, or adjacent, RF channel would have to protect the full-service DT from interference, by either going directional, reducing height, or changing TL, before they could go to 3kw - a lot of them simply would not increase power.

As long as the LPTV station is using the proper emission mask, it shouldn't interfere with an adjacent full-power station, but the increased power ought to help keep it from getting its butt kicked by the adjacent full-power.
post #7086 of 7384
KCSO requested and received an STA for 5KW on channel 3. I believe they are operating at that power level now.

Chuck
post #7087 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

KCSO requested and received an STA for 5KW on channel 3. I believe they are operating at that power level now.

Chuck

With the 5KW, they will be able to actually cover their COL (but then I know a lot of LPs, etc that DON'T..One in Dallas is licensed to Corsicana which is ~50miles to the SOUTH but the station is beaming NE from the Cedar Hill tower site on the SSW side of Dallas!)
post #7088 of 7384
WEAU R&O for 38:

AMENDMENT OF SECTION 73.622(I), POST-TRANSITION TABLE OF DTV ALLOTMENTS, TELEVISION BROADCAST STATIONS (EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN). Substituted channel 38 for channel 13 at Eau Claire, Wisconsin for station WEAU-TV. (Dkt No. RM-11632 11-100 ). Action by: Chief, Video Division, Media Bureau. Adopted: 07/20/2011 by R&O. (DA No. 11-1225).

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-11-1225A1.pdf
post #7089 of 7384
Digital Television Notes
LPTV broadcaster seeks Special Temporary Authority to transmit OFDM, OFDMA signals

By Phil Kurz, Broadcast Engineering - August 4th, 2011

Low-power television station operator WatchTV filed an amended application with the Federal Communications Commission on July 27 seeking Special Temporary Authority (STA) rather than an experimental license to put OFDM and OFDMA modulated signals on air in the Portland, OR, area.

According to the application, WatchTV is requesting the STA to gather field data on "real-life propagation considerations" involved with technologies that would allow broadcasters to transmit TV as well as other services, such as multichannel IP video services and wireless broadband service.

The application asks for authority to conduct test transmission of orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) and orthogonal frequency division multiplexing access (OFDMA) signals from seven transmitter sites in the Portland area. Single-frequency networks may be operated on each channel as well as multifrequency networks to compare performance. WatchTV is requesting authority to conduct the test transmission from existing fixed sites already in use by the LPTV broadcaster for analog operation by licensed stations.

WatchTV president Greg Herman also heads SpectrumEvolution.org, an advocacy group seeking to win for broadcasters the right to choose the modulation scheme of their liking. Herman, who originally sought the experimental license, demonstrated in November 2010 to commission staff at agency headquarters in Washington, D.C., OFDM-modulated transmission to 12 Converged Multimedia Mobile Broadcasting (CMMB) receivers.

According to the amended application filing, WatchTV is seeking the STA to conduct its field trials with OFDM and OFDMA signals that are "well-known modulation schemes to the wireless industry," adding that "OFDMA is designed to accommodate two-way in-band services."

As part of its tests, WatchTV said it plans to test and evaluate methods to embed TV programming "in an alternative signal" that can be displayed on ATSC television receivers with "a very simple and inexpensive outboard or built-in adapter device."

The application also seeks permission to test up to 300 pico- or femto-cell boosters and mobile units with up to 2W ERP located within the 51dBu contour of the authorized main transmitter on the same channel.

On Oct. 19, 2010, WatchTV filed the application for an experimental license to conduct the OFDM/OFDMA tests, which was denied by the commission on Feb. 10, 2011. WatchTV filed a petition for reconsideration and will "any type of authorization" to allow its tests, "license or otherwise, independent of the prior pending proceeding," the application said.

http://broadcastengineering.com/news...fdma_08042011/
post #7090 of 7384
The FCC needs to reject that application...reopening the old digital TV standards war at a time when OTA seems to be slowly regaining viewers just seems designed to kill broadcast TV once and for all.

While I think Greg Herman's intentions are good, this petition just seems like one more fiasco waiting to happen.
post #7091 of 7384
Agreed, 100%.

- Trip
post #7092 of 7384
Here is the result of competition and being one's own GRID in Texas....
From: STXARES@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STXARES@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jay Hoffman, KA5OST

FYI - ERCOT has just gone to Level 2. "Conservation critical". ROLLING BLACK OUTS MAY BE CALLED FOR.


AND the result??? (Sorry but I couldnt resist)


The Texas Grid is the place to be
dead AC sockets is the life for me.
Blackouts spreading out so far and wide.
Keep ERCOT and give me that Entergy side

(Sung to the tune of Green Acres!)


Entergy is part of the Eastern Interconnect and bought Gulf States Utilities in SE TX in 1994...it remains off the Texas grid and thus is not subject to "competition" which made electric prices in the ERCOT area go UP 30-50%!!!
Yep, thats good for the consumer!
post #7093 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

The FCC needs to reject that application...reopening the old digital TV standards war at a time when OTA seems to be slowly regaining viewers just seems designed to kill broadcast TV once and for all.

While I think Greg Herman's intentions are good, this petition just seems like one more fiasco waiting to happen.

IT will get denied....OFDM was looked at and ATSC was selected as the superior mode for the US.....It aint gonna happen unless someone has a lot of cash to pay off (eeeeerrrrr make a large campaign donation!)
post #7094 of 7384
Hey trip I meant to ask about this. I went out of town for 2 weeks and forgot. Do these people not realize that WTVF is moving to channel 25?

TN BEP-20110713ABU

WIIW-LD 168068 U.S. TELEVISION, L.L.C.

Extension of time to complete digital construction permit:

BMPDTL-20100312ACS

E CHAN-25 TN , NASHVILLE
post #7095 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Hey trip I meant to ask about this. I went out of town for 2 weeks and forgot. Do these people not realize that WTVF is moving to channel 25?

TN BEP-20110713ABU

WIIW-LD 168068 U.S. TELEVISION, L.L.C.

Extension of time to complete digital construction permit:

BMPDTL-20100312ACS

E CHAN-25 TN , NASHVILLE

Here's the extension request.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1

They intend to file for channel 50 once it is abandoned by WTVF, but cannot do so for as long as WTVF holds a permit for 50. The extension is to keep the permit alive until they can file for displacement to 50.

- Trip
post #7096 of 7384
FWIW, I traded voice mails with the CE down at WTVF week before last. He indicated that they're still working out details with the FCC on their move to 25 and that the new construction was not imminent. Still going to need those big low-VHF antennas for a while near Nashville.
post #7097 of 7384
http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23kcstatic Bounce TV this Fall MYKSMOTV and also The Cool TV.
post #7098 of 7384
But new standards need to be looked at now. The system we have is already technologically ancient. No one wants to get a new digital system but technology will always progress. It's foolish to just sit back and pretend the system we have is OK when it's full of holes.

And on top of that the technology is old. We need to start thinking about implementing a new system that will be upgradeable in the future with a firmware update on the part of TV tuners.

We need to think about redoing our OTA system which is also a product of the past. As much as this board likes to think we need local TV the delivery system is outdated. Markets could have one or two independent stations and the rest should simply be repeaters of the major networks.

OTA TV is growing? For every survey I've seen saying the numbers are up, we see another saying they are down. In urban areas like Chicago and NYC, people, such as myself lost all TV with digital. In NJ the state government has now allowed the deduction of cable to offset welfare benefits calculations due to the fact so many in urban NJ setting can't get digital signals in densely populated areas.

The same way radio had to readjust, and AM had to readjust, so will TV. We need to seriously look at a new digital system, a new way to repackage allocations and a new way to deliver content OTA.

We sat around on UHF for years till we mandated all tuners. We sat around for a decade on a digital system designed in the 90s, before we forced people to change.

Americans want more of acceptable quality. This is why MP3s overtook CDs.This is why cell phone are running past landlines. Landlines are clearer and CDs sound better. But it's good enough. Those who want the high quality will have to pay more.

Spectrum is too valuable to waste. In Chicago, hospitals need spectrum, railroads need spectrum for mandated safety, GPS systems are being put in all sorts of areas. This all takes wireless spectrum.

Unless you want to do an REA and wire the nation with fiber cable the way they did in the Great Depression with electricity.

I know this will be an unpopular post but it has to be done. It's like sitting on a toothache. The longer you wait, the more it costs you to fix it in the end.
post #7099 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post

Unless you want to do an REA and wire the nation with fiber cable the way they did in the Great Depression with electricity.

I would actually love this, but nobody's got the political will to make it happen, nor the votes, I suspect. I'd love it particularly if local stations were required to be carried in the clear on such fiber.

- Trip
post #7100 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

FWIW, I traded voice mails with the CE down at WTVF week before last. He indicated that they're still working out details with the FCC on their move to 25 and that the new construction was not imminent. Still going to need those big low-VHF antennas for a while near Nashville.

That's fine. It seems with their weird directional antenna WTVF on channel 25would be a pain to try to get in in my area anyways. At least according to TVfool. It seems for me the VHF signals come in better.
post #7101 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post

But new standards need to be looked at now. The system we have is already technologically ancient. No one wants to get a new digital system but technology will always progress. It's foolish to just sit back and pretend the system we have is OK when it's full of holes.

Yep, it happens in 2way radio too..APCO P25 is the official standard...but its 10 yrs old and outdated....newer more efficient digital modes are there...but the GOVERNMENTs (IE States) are mandating P25...especially in Texas if rural VFDs and PDs want state grants to buy new gear (AND WHO PAYS for that?? WE DO!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post

And on top of that the technology is old. We need to start thinking about implementing a new system that will be upgradeable in the future with a firmware update on the part of TV tuners.

We need to think about redoing our OTA system which is also a product of the past. As much as this board likes to think we need local TV the delivery system is outdated. Markets could have one or two independent stations and the rest should simply be repeaters of the major networks.

Aint gonna happen...too many MPEG2 OTAs out there and MPEG4 will NEVER see OTA for maybe 20yrs...I AGREE the TVs SHOULD have upgradeable firmware for new protocols...but then they cant sell NEW TV now can they???
Biz sense says dumb idea...logic says great idea...guess who will win??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post

OTA TV is growing? For every survey I've seen saying the numbers are up, we see another saying they are down. In urban areas like Chicago and NYC, people, such as myself lost all TV with digital. In NJ the state government has now allowed the deduction of cable to offset welfare benefits calculations due to the fact so many in urban NJ setting can't get digital signals in densely populated areas.

Yes its growing...Sat and Cable have done MAJOR price increases and a lot of people cant afford it.....so they have cut the cord and gone BACK to OTA..where I live, 90+ miles east of the Houston antenna farm, I get 64 DTVs 90% of the time with a RS VU90 (10yr+ old) at 20ft....of course 20 of those are religious or Spanish so they are out of my channel list...but the rest?? Perfectly watchable...and better than what I see on most cable/sat channels..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post

The same way radio had to readjust, and AM had to readjust, so will TV. We need to seriously look at a new digital system, a new way to repackage allocations and a new way to deliver content OTA.

We sat around on UHF for years till we mandated all tuners. We sat around for a decade on a digital system designed in the 90s, before we forced people to change.

AM HAD a chance when the FCC oked AM Stereo...but then they allowed 5 different formats (Belar, Magnavox, Harris, KAHN and Motorola)....only ONE maker (SONY) had a chip that could decode all...and Kahn would NOT license his rcvr design...the SONY was a reverse engineered that wasnt quite right but it worked!......Also FCC NOT MANDATING AMAX standards in rcvrs and NO Noise Blankers, etc required, killed AM Stereo (with modern DSP, AM would sound JUST as good as FM with no digital needed)...HD Radio??? Its a losing battle...noone wants to or KNOWS where to buy a HD radio..walk into Best Buy and ask for HD radio and they point at the TVs. What a bunch of hooey...BTW I AM a proponent of AM Stereo...ever heard one with music?? BETTER than analog FM! Its the rcvrs that suck...I was CE of an AM in the 70s that had audio proof out to 30kHz!!!! Now its mandated to 10kHz but still..... I have the recordings to prove it (WLS in 07 and 08's BIG89 Rewind...off the OTA logger in CQUAM stereo...sounds BETTER than any FM I have ever heard!)

Analog had/has advantages over DTV...you can watch it while moving...the audio can get through when the visual cant and sometimes viceversa...co channel interference doesnt KILL it.....(DTV?? FORGET IT!)...
See the trend with HD Radio on FM?? It aint happening....a lot of stations are turning it off, taking it out!!!...costs too much and they get little ROI...(again BIZ wins over logic)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post

Americans want more of acceptable quality. This is why MP3s overtook CDs.This is why cell phone are running past landlines. Landlines are clearer and CDs sound better. But it's good enough. Those who want the high quality will have to pay more.

Spectrum is too valuable to waste. In Chicago, hospitals need spectrum, railroads need spectrum for mandated safety, GPS systems are being put in all sorts of areas. This all takes wireless spectrum.

Hospitals HAVE spectrum (both licensed and unlicensed). Class A RailRoads (BNSF, Amtrak, UP, etc) and all Class 2 and below HAVE IT...over 90 channels analog in the 160 Mhz range EXCLUSIVE for their use and they are going digital (Kenwood NDXN) so they have NO NEED for more once they go to 6.25 kHz channel spacing. GPS???? ITS SAT based...you only need a rcvr to see 3 out of the 14 birds...if you cant, you have other problems....
Dont know where you get your info but it is seriously WRONG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post

Unless you want to do an REA and wire the nation with fiber cable the way they did in the Great Depression with electricity.

I know this will be an unpopular post but it has to be done. It's like sitting on a toothache. The longer you wait, the more it costs you to fix it in the end.

Electricity is a NEEDED commodity...and even today, the REAs STILL collect from the government though it is no longer needed!!! (What a waste of OUR money!!! I USED to work for a public power company that supplied to several REAs....they had better equipment than the PUBLIC util I worked for did!!! ALL GOVERNMENT supplied...and WHO PAYS FOR THAT????)

DTV is set in stone for the next 20 yrs...nothing is gonna change..true, could have been better IF they have planned for firmware upgrades and done DSP processing..but MPEG 4 takes MORE b/w than MPEG 2....and it wont fit in a 6MHz channel....so it aint gonna fly until pigs do...

I have been a broadcast and telecom engineer for almost 40yrs. The bean counters run it now....they do the thing that makes the MOST money...and that aint the right thing 75-90% of the time! and we people have to live with it...MP3 better than CD??? BS!!!!! Hard drive space is CHEAP so storage of CD WAVs is no problem..yet MOST radio stations still use MPEG2 compression...but when they play a CD?? The processor was set for MPEG2 audio...lows and mid range are better in CD/WAV format...the processing then sounds like crap.....smart idea?? NOPE...but BIZ idea...and it AINT gonna change...PERIOD
post #7102 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post

We need to think about redoing our OTA system which is also a product of the past. As much as this board likes to think we need local TV the delivery system is outdated. Markets could have one or two independent stations and the rest should simply be repeaters of the major networks.

Are the stations that spent millions coverting to digital but also HD going to be compensated for doing so? We have 2 local stations just about to go all HD for news. So you're going to tell them in 5 years their station is going bye-bye? Better pay them? Oh where is that money coming from?

Quote:


Spectrum is too valuable to waste. In Chicago, hospitals need spectrum, railroads need spectrum for mandated safety, GPS systems are being put in all sorts of areas. This all takes wireless spectrum.


Plenty of spectrum out there. Hell the govenment is sitting on most of it hoarding it.

Quote:


Unless you want to do an REA and wire the nation with fiber cable the way they did in the Great Depression with electricity.

Should have been doing that already. Fiber is much more reliable than wireless. My dad lives north of Chicago a few weeks ago they had a bad storm. Power out for days. Cells didn't work. Landlines did. Hmmmmmm.
post #7103 of 7384
I often read in these threads people commenting that they receive so many stations some percentage of the time. In the analog days you could say "I receive channel XX but sometimes it is a little snowy or has ghosts." Today that translates into receiving the station or not. Is there some percentage of time received that qualifies as "receiving the station?" It can't be 100% because nothing is 100%. Cable or satellite TV or internet is not 100%.

If I set my standard at 95% then I have a fairly large list of OTA stations I can receive. If I up that to 98% then the list is smaller and at 99.9% the list is very small.

If you truly have line-of-sight to the transmitter then you should have essentially 100% reception but there are a large number of people who don't have that luxury. What should a person in the OTA DTV era be happy with?

Chuck
post #7104 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

I often read in these threads people commenting that they receive so many stations some percentage of the time. In the analog days you could say "I receive channel XX but sometimes it is a little snowy or has ghosts." Today that translates into receiving the station or not. Is there some percentage of time received that qualifies as "receiving the station?" It can't be 100% because nothing is 100%. Cable or satellite TV or internet is not 100%.

If I set my standard at 95% then I have a fairly large list of OTA stations I can receive. If I up that to 98% then the list is smaller and at 99.9% the list is very small.

If you truly have line-of-sight to the transmitter then you should have essentially 100% reception but there are a large number of people who don't have that luxury. What should a person in the OTA DTV era be happy with?

Chuck

Whenever they are watching it or recording it, then they should get 100%...if they are not doing either and the signal degrades, who cares??
Add some extra antenna gain or a better preamp..but still expect DTV to drop once in a while....EVEN if you have LOS to the towers, expect at most 99.999% ("Five 9s reliability" as its called in the telecom/IT/engineers fields)
Lightning and other noise WILL cause the decoder to mute at times...also MPEG2 has buffering and if it gets overloaded, it WILL through some of the bits away....so you will lose pic for a sec or two....thats the nature of the beast of any compression scheme...UNcompressed DTV would take 3-4 times the bandwidth...that aint gonna happen!

I get the Houston stations (94m west of me) MOST of the time. Sometimes I dont get the VHFs but can get the UHFs due to tropo or storm activity (MOST of the path from me to them is over rice fields and the Trinity Bay on the East side of Houston..so LOTS of water and thermals)...I get pixelation at night....ehhhh it doesnt last long but in analog it would have been watchable..

I am only up 20ft with a VU90 and CM7777.....I get 64 digital signals total on my big Haier TV (BEST DAMN tuner I have EVER seen...even my 7in portable Haier has the same great tuner..which is why I bought the bigger 1080p for the living room)...and two analog LPs..BOTH at 120deg bearing to the main antenna lobe...I like that!!! WOW! IF I was pointed right at them they would be perfect...ONE is only running a whopper 59w ERP at 180ft!! and they are 20m away! Hell a ham ATV station can do better than that
post #7105 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post

I often read in these threads people commenting that they receive so many stations some percentage of the time. In the analog days you could say "I receive channel XX but sometimes it is a little snowy or has ghosts." Today that translates into receiving the station or not. Is there some percentage of time received that qualifies as "receiving the station?" It can't be 100% because nothing is 100%. Cable or satellite TV or internet is not 100%.

If I set my standard at 95% then I have a fairly large list of OTA stations I can receive. If I up that to 98% then the list is smaller and at 99.9% the list is very small.

If you truly have line-of-sight to the transmitter then you should have essentially 100% reception but there are a large number of people who don't have that luxury. What should a person in the OTA DTV era be happy with?

Chuck

Well 95% would be 22.8 hours a day. Most people watch TV at night and that's usually when reception is best.

For the record curently I have several cable channels that for some mysterious reason are out and have been for 2 days now. And I'm PAYING for these. At least with OTA it's free.
post #7106 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Plenty of spectrum out there. Hell the govenment is sitting on most of it hoarding it.

Should have been doing that already. Fiber is much more reliable than wireless. My dad lives north of Chicago a few weeks ago they had a bad storm. Power out for days. Cells didn't work. Landlines did. Hmmmmmm.

When Texas got hit by Rita and later IKE, I was involved in restoration of comms during both...Some Cell phones did not work here for DAYS (ATTs DID!!)...couple of the idiots cell companies had NO BACKUP gen sets on site...except a FEW who had PROPANE (remote sites) and when they went down, no PROPANE could be trucked in...Diesel and NG sites were fine as to fuel..BUT EVEN Verizon's main tandem site in Beaumont TX which IS THE connection to the PSTN was down...and it handles calls from the TX/LA state line to Liberty 65m west and from the Gulf Coast at Sabine Pass to Jasper 80m to the north....IDIOTS didnt do maintenance on the gen set....the batteries in the room ran dead, the gen set didnt fire up and Verizon was blaming the Nat Gas company....

NOPE, the gas was STILL flowing...turns out, the cover (what little there was) over this OUTSIDE gen set was rusted through...and in the MUFFLER there was a HOLE the size of my fist...can we figure out what happened?? CAN YOU SAID THE ENGINE DROWNED before it even tried to start? YET these "experts" from Verizon were scratching their heads.....DUH!!!

After 10hours of spraying ether into the cylinders and constant cranking (they had to change the battery out 2 times!!!), the gen finally coughed and came to life...ROUGH for 5 mins and then started smoothing out..

THINK THEY FIXED IT????? NOPE!! NO NEW cover on the gen set (its on a outside ledge on the 3rd floor of the bldg)...the roof has a 100ft tower on top with m/w dishes to the various sites and of course cell antennas...it was originally a MCI microwave site for landline use..

Some sites had NO power or other services for up to 3-4 weeks!!

Fiber much more reliable?? NOT really....depends on how the fiber is installed..
OPGW (fiber running along as the top static gnd of a AC line) fell all over the place during Rita and Ike.....snapped the 48 strands like twigs...all microwave systems that hadnt had their dishes moved around (and if they did, the mounts were loose and needed fixing) stayed up...in fact an OLD 2GHZ path was turned back on after 2 yrs due to the fiber that had replaced it BROKE..

Buried fiber is ok..but is subject to backhoe fade....and that happens a lot..Fiber is HARD to locate once buried UNLESS they include a single wire embedded in the jacket..this allows locators to "hear" the wire on their detectors and thus mark the fiber route..BUT a lot of it is NOT done that way....so along comes someone else and RIP!!!!!
Cant kill wireless with a backhoe.....

Landlines work as long as the batteries are up or the gen set fires up..(some remote COs dont HAVE Gensets)...lost a 56k DDS circuit to a tower site because of that...ATT finally got a portable gen to the bldg after 3 days..it was stolen 2 days later......

NOTHING is 100% reliable except conventional SIMPLEX 2way radios and then they need power (batteries have to be charged)....which ham ops have plenty of...which is why their motto is now" When all else fails"..

and its not a question of IF, its WHEN!
post #7107 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTTV View Post


AM HAD a chance when the FCC oked AM Stereo...
No, they did not really have a chance when FCC OKed AM stereo - in the mid 1980s when big owners had already moved the music to FM. AM stereo had been demonstrated and tested in 1960 - on a Mexican station, as it was illegal in the USA. If it had not been blocked back then, it would certainly would have become standard stereo equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTTV View Post

but then they allowed 5 different formats (Belar, Magnavox, Harris, KAHN and Motorola)....only ONE maker (SONY) had a chip that could decode all...and Kahn would NOT license his rcvr design...the SONY was a reverse engineered that wasnt quite right but it worked!......Also FCC NOT MANDATING AMAX standards in rcvrs and NO Noise Blankers, etc required, killed AM Stereo (with modern DSP, AM would sound JUST as good as FM with no digital needed)...HD Radio??? Its a losing battle...noone wants to or KNOWS where to buy a HD radio..walk into Best Buy and ask for HD radio and they point at the TVs. What a bunch of hooey...BTW I AM a proponent of AM Stereo...ever heard one with music??
Yes! I still have my Sony SRF-A100s, and still pull them out once in awhile. I really miss some of the AM stereo stations that I used to listen to. A good AM stereo signal really did sound pretty good. I might mention at this time that almost everyone who says AM stereo sounded lousy, when pressed, will admit that they themselves never heard AM stereo.

Forgive a little nitpick: FCC never did approve Belar.
Hmmmm: Interesting you mention that Kahn would not license his ISB receiver design to Sony - as he promoted the SRF-A100 in AM stereo demonstrations.
post #7108 of 7384
WJHG: 18 - adopted by NPRM

AMENDMENT OF SECTION 73.622(I), POST-TRANSITION TABLE OF DTV ALLOTMENTS, TELEVISION BROADCAST STATIONS, PANAMA CITY, FLORIDA. Substitution of channel 18 for channel 7 at Panama City, Florida for station WJHG-TV. (Dkt No. 11-140 RM-11638 ). Action by: Chief, Video Division, Media Bureau. Adopted: 08/15/2011 by NPRM. (DA No. 11-1413).

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...-11-1413A1.pdf
post #7109 of 7384
Excellent. And here I thought the FCC was going to sit on all of the non-WEAU petitions.

- Trip
post #7110 of 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

And here I thought the FCC was going to sit on all of the non-WEAU petitions.

- Trip

Maybe it's just the channel 32 and up petitions that they're holding.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › The official final DTV Table Of Allotments/channel change thread