or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports › Best sounding / highest build quality 5 CD Changer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best sounding / highest build quality 5 CD Changer? - Page 3

post #61 of 98
is there a way to just insert a picture instead of creating
an URL for the picture?
post #62 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

is there a way to just insert a picture instead of creating
an URL for the picture?

If you mean posting a picture stored on a web server with a web address, you type:

PHP Code:
[IMG]http://www.image_address.com/image.jpg[/IMG] 
Or in the advanced window you can click on the "insert image" button, and cut and paste the picture web address into the pop-up box.
post #63 of 98
nope. I just need to attach a picture on my PC. no link/URL
post #64 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

nope. I just need to attach a picture on my PC. no link/URL

There is no way to do that on this site. The picture needs to be stored somewhere that is web accessible.
post #65 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post

Dante743.

I have been seriously considering purchasing the Rotel 1055, changer and was going to pull the trigger on one until my dealer said that Rotel is revamping it and coming out with a new version in a month or two, (actually was told the end of March, but that has come and gone), that is supposed to be significantly better. Price should stay the same so I am told.

Did that ever come out? Cuz the current model is still RCC-1055. I don't know how you can you tell the difference, especially on eBay auctions.
post #66 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post

Did that ever come out? Cuz the current model is still RCC-1055. I don't know how you can you tell the difference, especially on eBay auctions.

Several months ago, I called Rotel to ask them this question. They told me that there will be no replacement. My understanding is that when they run out of the current stock, they will stop making it. I don't know if they've since changed their mind.
post #67 of 98
After weeks of debating about what CD Changer to buy, thanks to this thread I just ordered the Marantz CC4001. I shall provide my opinion after I put the unit to test.
post #68 of 98
Joplass I have the cc4300 and am very satisfied. I think you are making a wise choice. I have not heard the 4001 but im sure it as good or better than the 4300. I have it connected analog into a PM-7001 and am very happy with the result. Tell us how it sounds when you have it!
Good luck and enjoy!
post #69 of 98
Based on a post in this same thread I ordered one from Accessories4Less.com. Got it yesterday but since it was refurbished the unit has major flaws, the carousel does not rotate once you close it, can't play any CD I tried even with the carousel not rotating.
I am about to return it and get my money back. I will go to 6thAve and buy a brand new one.
Marantz called me they will email me a return slip.
post #70 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by joplass View Post

Based on a post in this same thread I ordered one from Accessories4Less.com. Got it yesterday but since it was refurbished the unit has major flaws, the carousel does not rotate once you close it, can't play any CD I tried even with the carousel not rotating.
I am about to return it and get my money back. I will go to 6thAve and buy a brand new one.
Marantz called me they will email me a return slip.

Had a problem with my Onkyo, too. Accessories4Less was very good about replacing the defective unit. They paid for return shipping and promptly sent out a replacement. The second unit has been functionally as good as a brand new one, although it had a minor cosmetic blemish on its back panel (where I can't see it).
post #71 of 98
I sent back the defective Marantz CC4001. I did not wait for Accessories4Less to reimburse my money I went out I bought a brand new unit from 6ave.
All I have to say is wow. This unit sounds great and its functionality meet my expectations.
I have to go listen to more CDs now
post #72 of 98
So based upon the refurb prices on Accessories4Less, used CC4001/4300's typically go for around $150-ish? I'm planning to sell my out-of-warranty CC4300 (as I'm transitioning more & more to digital file playback solutions) and I'm deciding whether it's worth repairing before sale or just doing 'as-is' for cheap**.

I called the Marantz "authorized local facility" and their ballparking $100-$150 over the phone for repair, which I kind of figured would be the case. Do un-authorized repair facilities come in with cheaper repair bills, in general? And secondly, whether it be an authorized or un-authorized facility, is it common for them to quote higher, but come in with a lower repair bill? Or can I pretty much count on getting clobbered any which way?




** Situation: the player has a somewhat "sluggish" & sickly-sounding tray rotation. Plus, sometimes the player just "clicks" when I attempt to play a cd, usually when it's the cd that's already slotted in the playback tray position. Then simply by switching to a different tray position and immediately back again, that same cd plays fine. It's been like this for a couple years on both counts, but I've just put up with these issues as the player still works pretty well, otherwise.
post #73 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Had a problem with my Onkyo, too. Accessories4Less was very good about replacing the defective unit. They paid for return shipping and promptly sent out a replacement. The second unit has been functionally as good as a brand new one, although it had a minor cosmetic blemish on its back panel (where I can't see it).

My second Onkyo lasted about a week before it too started to have problems. The first one refused to recognize any CD's. The second one intermittently and randomly freezes when changing discs, and cannot be used until it is unplugged, then plugged in again.

A4L refused to do anything the second time, saying it was more the 30 days from when the first order was placed (most of which was consumed in shipping). Guess if you get two bad ones, it's "tough luck," because it's all but impossible to complete two order/ship/trial cycles in 30 days unless both are DOA.

I'm pretty disillusioned with both Onkyo's quality control and Accessories4Less's customer service. I'm not likely to do business with either again.
post #74 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

My second Onkyo lasted about a week before it too started to have problems. The first one refused to recognize any CD's. The second one intermittently and randomly freezes when changing discs, and cannot be used until it is unplugged, then plugged in again.

A4L refused to do anything the second time, saying it was more the 30 days from when the first order was placed (most of which was consumed in shipping). Guess if you get two bad ones, it's "tough luck," because it's all but impossible to complete two order/ship/trial cycles in 30 days unless both are DOA.

I'm pretty disillusioned with both Onkyo's quality control and Accessories4Less's customer service. I'm not likely to do business with either again.

I am not having a good time with these people at A4L myself. They received the defective CC4001 a week ago but I had to call them to get credit for it. The rep I spoke to said that accounting will get to it right away. I hope that does not mean next year
post #75 of 98
I was in the same boat as many here. Old CD changer dying slowly. So since i had been happy with the Marantz equipment I had bought up to date I figured I'd give it a shot. I run it into my reciever using the analog outputs as it has better DAC's than my reciever does. To me this unit made my music come alive. I used some CD's of live performances that I had personally been at, all I can say was I felt like I was back at the theatre seeing the show again!! Very open sound stage, easily pick out different instruments. My wife was even almost speachless and she could care less about audio equipment. However as with everything else one should go have a listen for themselves to see if they like it. As far as I know if you are using your receiver for the DAC you most likely won't hear much difference, however using the Cirrus DACs in the player you may find a big difference in sound quality. So if you check it out in person make sure you hook it up both way (digital as well as analog)!! I know if someone asked me if they should buy this player I would not hesitate to say yes, but that is my liking. Build quality is up to snuff, maybe not the best but far from the worst. The changing is not all that noisy if you have heard changers before, actually sounds like there is some meat to it. Remote is pretty cheap from a Marantz but no biggie as I use a MX-700 anyway. If you are debating on buying one but can't listen to it I say go for it. However I see lots of negative on the refurb units. New one are still a good price at $300 or so. Enjoy
post #76 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare View Post

So if you check it out in person make sure you hook it up both way (digital as well as analog)!!

Now that will be an eye opener. Mine is only connected using the coax output I have to try and add analog in there. I will report back.
post #77 of 98
Like I said I don't know what your receiver DAC's are like joplass, but for me the DAC's in the CD changer are much better. I think sometimes everyone gets so hung up on connecting digitally that they forget that somewhere down the line it has to be converted to analog! I have a feeling that is why many people say they don't hear a difference in their players. Seems like many of them have fantastic DAC's built in. Many are much superior than the recievers. Also why a lot of "audiophiles" suggest using a seperate DAC!! Just some food for thought for anyone who cares to read it! Good luck joplass on the new conneection hope it goes well for you, and please do let us know either way!!
post #78 of 98
bigbare,
I tried it last night, both connections going at the same time and separately. My ears did not discern any difference. My biggest surprise is that the Coax did not sound any better than the RCA. This is my first digital CD player connection so maybe I don't know what I am talking about. I hope some expert comes here and educate us on the matter.
The receiver is Pioneer VSX-94TXH.
It looks like both connections are supposed to sound the same for me.
192KHz/24-Bit both the 94TXH and the CC4001
post #79 of 98
You may very well not have heard a difference. As for my setup the DAC's in the CD player sounded better to me, gave a larger more open sound than the DAC's in my receiver. Always a dood thing to try though.
post #80 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by joplass View Post

I hope some expert comes here and educate us on the matter.

They already did. Try a search function in this section.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1032282
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=966697
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100068
post #81 of 98
geekhd are you kidding!!! So far I went through one thread. My conclusion is that I haven't heard one expert in there. Maybe a few inteligent folks who are gave sound advice. Hoping the others prove better.
post #82 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare View Post

geekhd are you kidding!!! So far I went through one thread. My conclusion is that I haven't heard one expert in there.

Which thread and how do you define expert?
post #83 of 98
OK so now I havfe gone through #2&#3. Both a really a bunch of know it all who can't agree on anything and bicker like a bunch of children!! I will say if read through there are some good points made by a few people. Usually the ones who came in and made a statement or two and left. If anyone reads through them they may find a few good and worth while statements. Funnything is they all seem to overlook the obvious. Yes a digital connection, so long as the time is same and there is no major errors mabe will be the same. That is how digital is it is on or off. DAC's on the other hand differ for sure as that is where the information is processed. Much like a TV, even though they are all receiving digital signals not all are processing them the same. Here is the kicker that you see over and over. They state "the only reason you hear a difference is because there was no level matching performed." Uhhhhh isn't that proving there is a difference in the way they all play?!! To me a true expert would at least be able to pick up on that. Just my opinion, and considering many claim to have been around for 40-50 years and had all sorts of high end gear I am truly surprised not to see one of them pick up on it.
post #84 of 98
Sorry maybe it was #1, #2. Not #3. My mistake
post #85 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare View Post

OK so now I havfe gone through #2. Both a really a bunch of know it all who can't agree on anything and bicker like a bunch of children!!...Here is the kicker that you see over and over. They state "the only reason you hear a difference is because there was no level matching performed." Uhhhhh isn't that proving there is a difference in the way they all play?!! To me a true expert would at least be able to pick up on that. Just my opinion, and considering many claim to have been around for 40-50 years and had all sorts of high end gear I am truly surprised not to see one of them pick up on it.

Not to bicker like a child , but, speaking as one of those experienced old-timers (though I don't claim to be an "expert"), they may not have picked up on it because they don't agree. There is a great deal of evidence suggesting that improper level matching is responsible for many audible differences people perceive. Levels have to be matched very precisely to produce scientifically acceptable results. (And, of course, tests have to be double blind as well.)

Yes, equipment varies slightly in output, but so far as quality is concerned, it's a difference without a distinction. This kind of difference is audible only on close A/B scrutiny. If, after the levels are properly matched, the perceived differences vanish, the argument about which is "better" becomes moot.
post #86 of 98
I am not disagreeing that when one goes through and performs all the level matching, etc., etc. that there is or isn't a difference. However if you want to see if one sounds better out of the box than another then you have really gone too far when you talk level matching, etc. I think most forget that digital information is simply on or off. Kind of hard to change a sound when the same signals are getting output to the processor. There is no magic involved in digital information, it is either there or not there plain and simple. Therefor given the same processor and same amps one should not hear a difference as the same on/off signal is being processed by the same gear. While using the players DAC's yes there can be differences due to output levels that I will agree if you want a coldly sientific test done most will hear no difference. However since I would say a vast majority of people wouldn't bother going through the hassle when they get the player home, then they will hear a difference possibly because of the output. So again scientifically ther may not be a difference but in reality where most scientist do not dwell, no offence to any out there, people may actually hear a difference. I can see where both sides of the fence are comming from and don't disagree with either because they are both right.
Off the subject a bit but I see you call yourself Macfan, I assume you own Mac gear? If so let me ask you whick sounds better, their tube amps or solid state amps?
post #87 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare View Post

I am not disagreeing that when one goes through and performs all the level matching, etc., etc. that there is or isn't a difference. However if you want to see if one sounds better out of the box than another then you have really gone too far when you talk level matching, etc. I think most forget that digital information is simply on or off. Kind of hard to change a sound when the same signals are getting output to the processor. There is no magic involved in digital information, it is either there or not there plain and simple. Therefor given the same processor and same amps one should not hear a difference as the same on/off signal is being processed by the same gear. While using the players DAC's yes there can be differences due to output levels that I will agree if you want a coldly sientific test done most will hear no difference. However since I would say a vast majority of people wouldn't bother going through the hassle when they get the player home, then they will hear a difference possibly because of the output. So again scientifically ther may not be a difference but in reality where most scientist do not dwell, no offence to any out there, people may actually hear a difference. I can see where both sides of the fence are comming from and don't disagree with either because they are both right.
Off the subject a bit but I see you call yourself Macfan, I assume you own Mac gear? If so let me ask you whick sounds better, their tube amps or solid state amps?

bigbare, would you pay hundreds or even thousands of extra dollars for a CDP to get a slightly different output level when you can control the volume yourself via preamp or receiver?
post #88 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare View Post

...Off the subject a bit but I see you call yourself Macfan, I assume you own Mac gear? If so let me ask you whick sounds better, their tube amps or solid state amps?

Other to say that in general I'd agree with geekhd, I won't extend this any further. This is and always has been a highly subjective hobby, and how we determine what "sounds best" is highly variable by individual.

That aside... wrong Mac. My handle comes Mac computer, not McIntosh audio.

I do have some McIntosh gear, but not amps. However, I will say I lived through the tube era and never want to go back. McIntosh does it as well as anyone, but once solid state gear grew out of the growing pains stage, I moved on, preferring their oft overlooked virtues over the admittedly seductive coloration of tubes.

I feel the same way about vinyl, only more so.
post #89 of 98
Myself personally no I would not pay thousands for a bit of output. If I were filthy rich and money was no object I would just because I could if it looked nice!! I more so look for build quality and looks. For those who money is no object go for it. If I were to put an ultimate price on when too much is spent...can't personally say for sure. As macfan said it is all highly subjective so I guess only the individual can choose the price where no longer gain anything. I purchased my Marantz CC4001 because my old Sony was skipping badly and in general getting old. For the money I picked it up for new with the three year warranty I will never complain.
Not sure if record players fall into this catagory or not but I have yet to understand why some spend $1000's just to have a truntable? Never could figure it out, maybe I just haven't heard one in such a long time I can't understand till I do!?
post #90 of 98
After reading all of you guys I can only say I am happier with what I have than I was before log into avs a few minutes ago. My search has ended but short story anyway:
A few months ago I received for FREE one brand new MK2 CD player made by CA Electronics and one bran new Shanling CD player. Both singe CD players. I tried them, they did not give me any satisfaction. I sold them both on ebay for some serious cash. I won't keep gifts that expenses specially if they don't make me go wow. Now I am pretty happy with my CC4001 hooked to an audio source graphic equalizer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports › Best sounding / highest build quality 5 CD Changer?