or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The *OFFICIAL* Vienna Acoustics Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The *OFFICIAL* Vienna Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 16

post #451 of 3008
Using a Denon 3808 as a pre-amp, what amps would you recommend to drive a 5.1 system (Mozart Grands, Maestro center, and Waltz surrounds) that won't break the bank?
post #452 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfshore View Post

Using a Denon 3808 as a pre-amp, what amps would you recommend to drive a 5.1 system (Mozart Grands, Maestro center, and Waltz surrounds) that won't break the bank?

How about a used Proceed amp 5? I think you could do a bargain at audiogon.
post #453 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfshore View Post

Using a Denon 3808 as a pre-amp, what amps would you recommend to drive a 5.1 system (Mozart Grands, Maestro center, and Waltz surrounds) that won't break the bank?

tons of b&k 5 and 7 channel used amps on audiogon, these would power them well.
check for a primare a30.5, they go fast though.
post #454 of 3008
ditto on B&K and Primare. Be wary of Proceed, great sounding stuff but zero support as the company has been shuttered for a few years now.
post #455 of 3008
Hello folks.

I auditioned the Mozart Grands this past weekend and absolutely love them.

But I have a few questions regarding the other speakers in the Grand Series.

If I was looking for a Vienna Acoustics speaker, that had the same voicing/sound as the Mozert Grand; but with the capability to play lower bass frequencies; which would you suggest?

The Beethoven Baby Grand? The Beethoven Concert Grand? Others?

Do these two retain those same laidback warm, smoothness and overall pleasurable for long listening ellements, as the Mozart Grand?

Which speakers are closest to the Mozarts?

Of course I may very well just go with the Mozarts and a REL sub, but I'd like to see what my options/choices are.
post #456 of 3008
You've just described the Beethovens. Which one to pick depends upon how big your room is. Do you have your room dimensions and configuration (width, depth, height, opens to...)

BTW, every system should have a REL...
post #457 of 3008
Does anyone have any experience with the Rotel RMB-1095 with Mozarts or any of the floor standers? I can probably get one used for $1200 or so. I still will have to wait but I really like what I here about Rotel. It should have plenty of power for my Mozarts and the rest of my VA setup when I get the Maestro and the Waltzs.
post #458 of 3008
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard an Oratorio center used with Beethoven Concert Grands. I like a lot of output from my center and was considering this combination. I have the concert grands and power them with a primare A30.5
Any other suggestions other than the Maestro Grand.

Thanks
post #459 of 3008
well my Maestro Grand should be here monday...
can't wait!
post #460 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by like it loud View Post

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard an Oratorio center used with Beethoven Concert Grands. I like a lot of output from my center and was considering this combination. I have the concert grands and power them with a primare A30.5
Any other suggestions other than the Maestro Grand.

Thanks

Wasn't terribly mismatched. The general tonal qualities are similar between the speakers, but the Oratorio is definitely a better speaker in just about every category. The critical mid-range is where the oratorio (and the Mahler and Strauss which it was designed to match) really shines over the Grand series. I heard the same Oratorio matched with the Strauss mains, and the soundstage was definitely a bit better.

That being said, the oratorio is a phenomenal center channel, much better than the Maestro in the grand line. I'd say listen to it yourself and see if the slight sound differences bother you. If not, grab the Oratorio. I'm still waiting to find a pair of Strauss and Oratorio in Black ash on Audiogon. Overall, the Strauss has been my favorite speaker in my speaker hunt thus far, with the Oratorio as the best center channel I've yet heard, even better than the Cremona center (doesn't have the bottom end the Oratorio had).
post #461 of 3008
Totally agreed, the Oratorio DID sit in a category of its own. Lush full balance, amazing bass and dynamics, a neutral and revealing mid-range. Unfortunately it is no longer in production... We (Sumiko) have only one left, and it is in the old rosewood (pre-Grand series). They do occasionally creep up on the used market, but most owners seem to hold on to them.
post #462 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carr View Post

Unfortunately it is no longer in production... We (Sumiko) have only one left, and it is in the old rosewood (pre-Grand series).

Hmm... is this a clue?

(Patiently waiting on the updated Reference line....)
post #463 of 3008
No clues, unfortunately.

The Strauss/Oratorio were discontinued about 1.5 years ago, with no planned replacement. The Mahler has been revised to version 1.5 (minor updates including updated tweeter and crossover).

The Klimt Reference series is coming along nicely, though. The Music is shipping now, and we are selling them as fast as we can get them! Poetry center channel will be available before the end of the year. The Kiss pedestal speaker is expected Q1 2009 and The Arts floorstander is expected Q1 2010.

More good news:

Vienna is hard at work on in-wall and in-ceiling product! We had prototypes at CEDIA this year, and they looked really serious! Expect them early next year as well.
post #464 of 3008
There seems to be a huge gap between the Klimt line and the rest of the VA lineup in terms of pricing. Is the Arts member of the Klimt series? Is it going to be the little brother of the Music?
post #465 of 3008
The Arts is part the Klimt Reference line, the little brother to The Music. And you are right there is a bit of a gap. Beyond what I've given, there is no more information about new product, though. When I have more, you'll hear it here first!
post #466 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carr View Post

Totally agreed, the Oratorio DID sit in a category of its own. Lush full balance, amazing bass and dynamics, a neutral and revealing mid-range. Unfortunately it is no longer in production... We (Sumiko) have only one left, and it is in the old rosewood (pre-Grand series). They do occasionally creep up on the used market, but most owners seem to hold on to them.

I am an owner of the mahlers and I am curious to know what would be the "designated" center channel for the Mahlers now that oratorio is no longer in production. What exactly is the difference between the old and new Tweeters?
Thanks
post #467 of 3008
I am considering a sub for the Haydns. How would a Hsu STF-1 or STF-2 work?
Thanks.
post #468 of 3008
I haven't ever heard a HSU sub, just heard good things about them. Working for Magnolia I like to recommend the Martin Logan subs with the Vienna's. Very tight, accurate output, just not the full SPL output I would prefer (for personal listening), so for my immediate resources, I'm saving up for a Definitive Technologies sub, one of the bigger ones. A question for Mr. Dave Carr, aside from the Subson, any plans for a Vienna Acoustics Subwoofer, and has VA had another sub in the past? I know you stand behind REL Subs, which are incredible in their own right, and I have a good idea what your response will be to a VA sub. Just curious.
post #469 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by inhertenderlips View Post

I haven't ever heard a HSU sub, just heard good things about them. Working for Magnolia I like to recommend the Martin Logan subs with the Vienna's. Very tight, accurate output, just not the full SPL output I would prefer (for personal listening), so for my immediate resources, I'm saving up for a Definitive Technologies sub, one of the bigger ones. A question for Mr. Dave Carr, aside from the Subson, any plans for a Vienna Acoustics Subwoofer, and has VA had another sub in the past? I know you stand behind REL Subs, which are incredible in their own right, and I have a good idea what your response will be to a VA sub. Just curious.

why not just get a REL? It will match up much nicer with the Viennas than a Def Tech IMO. They probably wont make a specific sub from Vienna since under Sumiko REL is king. But ya never know
post #470 of 3008
I'm unsure as to whether or not Vienna will ever make a woofer, but we certainly wouldn't stop them. Sonus makes woofers and we happily sell them, although we still believe that REL is the better value.

If you are looking for inexpensive but high value, take a look at the T-series from REL. A T2 or T3, depending upon how big your room is, would be great with a pair of Haydn.
post #471 of 3008
Orologio:

I couldn't tell you exactly what changed, though it sounds like there is a bit more resolution. Drivers of this ilk tend to slowly evolve versus making big leaps.

There is no designated center anymore. The Mahler is now two-channel only. We do have a single piece left of Oratorio in original rosewood, but outside of that...

You could do what we used to do many years back: a pair of Maestro, vertical, splayed at 60 degrees... Not the prettiest solution, but it should have enough output to keep up with Mahler.
post #472 of 3008
well speaking of center channels, i just got my Maestro in today
I'm very happy, it sounds wonderful

post #473 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carr View Post

Orologio:

I couldn't tell you exactly what changed, though it sounds like there is a bit more resolution. Drivers of this ilk tend to slowly evolve versus making big leaps.

There is no designated center anymore. The Mahler is now two-channel only. We do have a single piece left of Oratorio in original rosewood, but outside of that...

You could do what we used to do many years back: a pair of Maestro, vertical, splayed at 60 degrees... Not the prettiest solution, but it should have enough output to keep up with Mahler.


Thank you for your reply. The double maestro sounds good but I do not have the space for placing them vertically. I agree the maestro is a good center, but I felt that the timbre was different than the mahlers. I did regret that I sold it, however. , worth it just for the look and finish. I am thinking to try an oratorio when the chance comes along.
post #474 of 3008
Beautiful system, Big Red!!

One suggestion to make it better:

Try pulling the speaker a *little* further out from the wall, spread them further apart by about two feet, and toe them in so that they intersect about a foot behind the listener. This should make the sound even better. Don't like it? Them put 'um back. Nothings permanent =)!

You system looks great in your room. Good job!
post #475 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carr View Post

Beautiful system, Big Red!!

One suggestion to make it better:

Try pulling the speaker a *little* further out from the wall, spread them further apart by about two feet, and toe them in so that they intersect about a foot behind the listener. This should make the sound even better. Don't like it? Them put 'um back. Nothings permanent =)!

You system looks great in your room. Good job!


Thanks Dave! One problem though, i cant split them apart anymore. What you cant see is my main doorway to the right... I could possibly go a bit further apart, but im afraid people or me might accidently bump the speakers side and damage the finish when entering/leaving. Also you cant tell to much, but they are toed in and pretty much intersect behind my head. I'll see if i can pull them from the wall a bit more, they are about 15" from the wall now. The speakers are currently a little over 7ft apart. I realize best is about 18"-20 somthing inches from the wall and around 9ft+ to be pulled apart, but unfortunately im limited by the apartment lol. I'll see perhaps what i can come up with. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated
post #476 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carr View Post

Orologio:

You could do what we used to do many years back: a pair of Maestro, vertical, splayed at 60 degrees... Not the prettiest solution, but it should have enough output to keep up with Mahler.

Can you explain this in a little more depth. How can you use two centers without getting some phase cancellation.
post #477 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post

I am considering a sub for the Haydns. How would a Hsu STF-1 or STF-2 work?
Thanks.

I have the STF-1. I think it sounds nice with the Haydns.
post #478 of 3008
Getting ready to turn them all on. Bought VA Mozarts and Maestro in early spring this year. Added a REL B3 sub (fantastic). Had that set up and really enjoyed it. Until we fixed up a room, I had no where to put the surrounds, now I do. Will set the above up along with a pair of Waltz's. Looking forward to a weekend of music and movie entertainment!
post #479 of 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfshore View Post

Getting ready to turn them all on. Bought VA Mozarts and Maestro in early spring this year. Added a REL B3 sub (fantastic). Had that set up and really enjoyed it. Until we fixed up a room, I had no where to put the surrounds, now I do. Will set the above up along with a pair of Waltz's. Looking forward to a weekend of music and movie entertainment!

awesome man! very exciting! got any pics to share with us? Let me know how you like the waltz's.
post #480 of 3008
So I'm looking at upgrading and was thinking you guys might have some insight. Right now I have Mozart pr/Maestro/Waltz pr driven by an Integra DTR 7.7 and a REL T1 sub. I'm looking at getting something that will not be so stressed driving my VAs. Right now it looks like I could get either a Primare A30.5 and use the current receiver as the pre or get an Integra DTR 9.9 and a new sub, likely another REL T1 or an REL B3. My HT room is roughly 20' x 13' and I'm not interested in going much louder than reference level. How much of a difference do you think I'd hear between those two in my small room? It looks like I can get a much deeper discount on the receiver and subs than I can on the Primare amp, so that is somewhat influencing me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The *OFFICIAL* Vienna Acoustics Owners Thread