or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › NEWB&W 600 series
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEWB&W 600 series - Page 3

post #61 of 242
B&W Reps say that the new "68" Series (as they refer to them) has a superior tweeter design to that of the 700 series. Of course, the entire speaker cabinet design and that of the isolated tweeter housing also plays a huge part in the 700 series success.
Improvements keep comming though and I'm glad to see it. Of course, the proof will be in the critical, comparative, listening which no one has done yet, so I'll reserve judgement.
post #62 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

B&W Reps say that the new "68" Series (as they refer to them) has a superior tweeter design to that of the 700 series. Of course, the entire speaker cabinet design and that of the isolated tweeter housing also plays a huge part in the 700 series success.
Improvements keep comming though and I'm glad to see it. Of course, the proof will be in the critical, comparative, listening which no one has done yet, so I'll reserve judgement.

Do you have an idea what is different between the 68 series and the CM series in terms of drivers and design? The CM1 looks functionally identical to the 686 and the CMC looks suspiciously similar to the HTM62. I wonder how interchangeable they are as far as mixing and matching in a system
post #63 of 242
I'm curious too, and when I asked I was told that there were differances in parts selection quality between those series, and cabinet bracing and finish as well.
Frankly , if the 686 COMES EVEN CLOSE TO THE PERFORMANCE QUALITY OF THE CM1's, then these things are going to be a huge hit.
I am always wary of vendor hype but the B&W guys have a very smug look on thier faces lately.....we'll see.
post #64 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

I'm curious too, and when I asked I was told that there were differances in parts selection quality between those series, and cabinet bracing and finish as well.
Frankly , if the 686 COMES EVEN CLOSE TO THE PERFORMANCE QUALITY OF THE CM1's, then these things are going to be a huge hit.
I am always wary of vendor hype but the B&W guys have a very smug look on thier faces lately.....we'll see.

I hope to be able the A/B the CM series to the 68 when they eventually get here (stock situation might be lagging here in Canada though). I still need to pick up a center (pretty happy with phantom setting currently) so I am seriously wondering if I can sub in the HTM62 in place for the CMC. I wonder if the HTM61 has the potential to outperform the CMC for the same price. Or maybe I should just stop being such a cheapskate and get the CMC outright. Since I am not in a hurry, I want to consider all the options.
post #65 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

B&W Reps say that the new "68" Series (as they refer to them) has a superior tweeter design to that of the 700 series. Of course, the entire speaker cabinet design and that of the isolated tweeter housing also plays a huge part in the 700 series success.

that's interesting, because it's the high frequencies that i find to be the 700 series biggest weakness. very harsh and tizzy to my ears.
post #66 of 242
Quote:
that's interesting, because it's the high frequencies that i find to be the 700 series biggest weakness. very harsh and tizzy to my ears.

Well, while they've seemed good to me, I have heard a few select people make similar comments, and they usually followed up with stating the 800's "S" series tweets sounded better, and I've found the CM's to seem even better on the top-end than the 700 series too(and I get a lot of others agreeing with me), so maybe you should take a listen to the CM's or 68 series and see if you find them more to your taste..
post #67 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

Of course, the entire speaker cabinet design and that of the isolated tweeter housing also plays a huge part in the 700 series success.

It certainly does. When I upgraded from 602 S3s to 705s, the biggest improvement was the imaging. The cabinet/tweeter housing undoubtedly play a large role in that. In fact, I hardly see how any conventional flat-baffle design could approach the 700 series for imaging.
post #68 of 242
Is there going to be a bigger CM bookshelf that would be similar to the 685?
post #69 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

It certainly does. When I upgraded from 602 S3s to 705s, the biggest improvement was the imaging. The cabinet/tweeter housing undoubtedly play a large role in that. In fact, I hardly see how any conventional flat-baffle design could approach the 700 series for imaging.

Did you compare the 705s with the CM1s? I haven't, but I did compare the 703s with the CM7s and to be honest I'm a little surprised at the level of praise the CM7 is receiving.

I certainly did find it a nice speaker, a good value and a big step up from the 600 series, but I preferred the 703 in every way and didn't find it a close comparison at all. While it was much closer, I also preferred the 704 to the CM7 (though in that case, there were some things the CM7 did better).

I suppose it's just more evidence that you really do need to listen for yourself!

Bill
post #70 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgriel View Post

Did you compare the 705s with the CM1s? I haven't, but I did compare the 703s with the CM7s and to be honest I'm a little surprised at the level of praise the CM7 is receiving.

I certainly did find it a nice speaker, a good value and a big step up from the 600 series, but I preferred the 703 in every way and didn't find it a close comparison at all. While it was much closer, I also preferred the 704 to the CM7 (though in that case, there were some things the CM7 did better).

I suppose it's just more evidence that you really do need to listen for yourself!

Bill

My wife and I also preferred the 703 to the CM7, but felt the 704 wasn't a significant improvement over the CM7 to justify the extra cost.

The 705/CM1 comparison ends up being like the 704/CM7 with the nod going to the CM1 due to cost considerations.
post #71 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibbs View Post

My wife and I also preferred the 703 to the CM7, but felt the 704 wasn't a significant improvement over the CM7 to justify the extra cost.

I can see that - the price of the 704 is significantly more and the performance is pretty close. I had a chance to get a pair of 704s at a price very close to the CM7s, so I was comparing them without considering cost. Of course, the 703s blew both of them away so I wound up with them instead

Bill
post #72 of 242
Quote:


I certainly did find it a nice speaker, a good value and a big step up from the 600 series, but I preferred the 703 in every way and didn't find it a close comparison at all.

No, but a $1200 price differance, and I found them fairly close, and actually prefered the CM7's to the 704's, no contest, and would even at the same price.
Quote:


While it was much closer, I also preferred the 704 to the CM7 (though in that case, there were some things the CM7 did better).

I can't figure what the 704's did better, but it does go to show why personal auditioning is so important.

Quote:


I hardly see how any conventional flat-baffle design could approach the 700 series for imaging.

Well, there aren't as many manufacturers that are seperating the tweeter as there are those who do use a conventional baffle design, so it's not the be-all-and-end-all for everyone.
post #73 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

Well, there aren't as many manufacturers that are seperating the tweeter as there are those who do use a conventional baffle design, so it's not the be-all-and-end-all for everyone.

True, which is one of the many things that makes the 700 series (and 800 series) superior to offerings from other manufacturers.
post #74 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocque View Post

The CAD MSRP for the 683 is rumored to be $850/speaker; this would be less than the current $1000 MSRP for the replaced 604. That's the CAD dollar at work, baby!

Any rumors on the CAD MSRP for the subwoofers ? That the only speaker I still have to buy to complete my system.
post #75 of 242
Quote:


True, which is one of the many things that makes the 700 series (and 800 series) superior to offerings from other manufacturers.

Hey, I like them too, but there are many other fine speakers that others might feel are superior to them, so understand that blind fanboy comments aren't really proof of anything, especially when B&W itself will tell you the CM's and 68 series tweeters are an improvement over the tweeter components in the 700 series. Whether you think that , on balance, the isolation of the 700 series tweeter makes the overall sound , to you, that much better, is your perogative, but I , and most of the others I have talked to (including several at B&W), feel otherwise. Of course, if you want a better tweeter AND isolation, you should get the 800 series.
post #76 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

Well, while they've seemed good to me, I have heard a few select people make similar comments, and they usually followed up with stating the 800's "S" series tweets sounded better, and I've found the CM's to seem even better on the top-end than the 700 series too(and I get a lot of others agreeing with me), so maybe you should take a listen to the CM's or 68 series and see if you find them more to your taste..

well, i already went in a different direction, but i'm always interested in new products. i did listen to the CM7 and much preferred it to the 700 series next to it (704, i think??)... much smoother top end.

it's interesting too, because i'm a detail freak so i've got a bit of tolerance for speakers some might consider bright. but all of the 700 series sounded unbearably harsh to me.
post #77 of 242
My retailer in Houston told me they're getting the new 68's the end of this month. They have the s3 for the same price as the incoming s4. I asked the guy over the phone if they'll be dropping in price when the new one comes in. He said no, but then again there are only like a few pairs left of the s3. 700$ for their top model 68's tempting... I'm prob going to bring my 605 AVR when it comes in and have them hook it up to see who well it runs, thehehe.
post #78 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD705 View Post

Suggested retail from Preliminary 600 Series Retail Price List pdf
dated May 2007 (per speaker)

Surround
DS3-----$400
CDS3---$400

I'm looking at these DS3's... Any new info on them yet? And is that per speaker or per pair?
post #79 of 242
Just placed my order for a pair of 685s, a pair of 686s and a HTM62 in red cherry this morning direct from B&W. They are in stock for immediate shipping and should be here by Friday or Monday.
I ordered them unseen and unheard. I hope to have some feedback for you guys very soon.
Other notes:
Black Ash and Red Cherry are the only two colors in stock now.
Wenge will be in stock in four weeks.
Light Oak will not be stocked at all (I'm not sure if that means nationally or regionally in New England).
post #80 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidPalace View Post

Just placed my order for a pair of 685s, a pair of 686s and a HTM62 in red cherry this morning direct from B&W. They are in stock for immediate shipping and should be here by Friday or Monday.
I ordered them unseen and unheard. I hope to have some feedback for you guys very soon.
Other notes:
Black Ash and Red Cherry are the only two colors in stock now.
Wenge will be in stock in four weeks.
Light Oak will not be stocked at all (I'm not sure if that means nationally or regionally in New England).

Thanks for taking one for the team

I hope you have a nice digital camera too
post #81 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Thanks for taking one for the team

I hope you have a nice digital camera too

"Taking one for the team" usually denotes misfortune. Somehow I think he is going to be feeling everything except misfortune when he gets his new speakers

And yes, we do except pictures of them in your home
post #82 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Thanks for taking one for the team

I hope you have a nice digital camera too

It was the least I could do considering I am getting 50% off retail.
I think the 685 should stack up pretty well against any other $150 speaker .
post #83 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidPalace View Post

It was the least I could do considering I am getting 50% off retail.
I think the 685 should stack up pretty well against any other $150 speaker .

50% off retail!?!?! Wow Is there a story behind that you can share?

Taking one for the team was the wrong phrase to use, unless of course, the 600 S4 are duds (hopefully not). Maybe the imaging will be all skewed due to the asymmetrical tweeter plate
post #84 of 242
Hi, i am new to B&W speakers. I am thinking about getting

one HTM62
two 685
one ASW608

For HTM62 and 685, are they two channels? Do I need 4 wires for them? My contractor pull the in-wall speaker wires for me and he only pull 2 wires (black & red). If I need 4 wires, any ways to make it work without break down the wall?

Thanks.
post #85 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmon View Post

Hi, i am new to B&W speakers. I am thinking about getting

one HTM62
two 685
one ASW608

For HTM62 and 685, are they two channels? Do I need 4 wires for them? My contractor pull the in-wall speaker wires for me and he only pull 2 wires (black & red). If I need 4 wires, any ways to make it work without break down the wall?

Thanks.

I'm confused by your question.

Each speaker is one channel (three speakers, therefore, three sets of black/red. each black/red is one channel). You can't make one channel into two.

The sub needs a separate cable (coaxial RCA) also.
post #86 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

50% off retail!?!?! Wow Is there a story behind that you can share?

Taking one for the team was the wrong phrase to use, unless of course, the 600 S4 are duds (hopefully not). Maybe the imaging will be all skewed due to the asymmetrical tweeter plate

Not much of a story, I have a friend who works for B&W. They can get stuff at half off.
Let's just say that my connection will come in real handy when I get a home and budget that will be big enough and worthy enough of some 800 series equipment.
Anyway, I only wish my ears were as highly trained as some of yours.
Even though I may be one of the first members to own them, I may not be able to provide much useful information beyond "They look great. They sound pretty good, too".
post #87 of 242
Friend at B&W, huh? Hmmm, my house would have B&W's in every room by now
post #88 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax View Post

that's interesting, because it's the high frequencies that i find to be the 700 series biggest weakness. very harsh and tizzy to my ears.

actually I thought the CM-7 high-frequency response was their best attribute when I first test-listened to them, very pristine, twinkling, clear hi's.
post #89 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

I'm confused by your question.

Each speaker is one channel (three speakers, therefore, three sets of black/red. each black/red is one channel). You can't make one channel into two.

The sub needs a separate cable (coaxial RCA) also.

Thanks. So each speaker only has one channel (black/red)? Because I use to have speakers that they have two channels (black/red/blue/gary). Even my bookshelf system is using 4 wires per speaker now.

Just want to confirm if B&W speakers are 1 channel or 2 channels.
post #90 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmon View Post

Thanks. So each speaker only has one channel (black/red)? Because I use to have speakers that they have two channels (black/red/blue/gary). Even my bookshelf system is using 4 wires per speaker now.

Just want to confirm if B&W speakers are 1 channel or 2 channels.

I'm not sure, but I think you are asking of there are 2 or 4 binding posts on the speakers?

Generally, extra binding posts on speakers are there for bi-wiring. Completely unnecessary imo, but many B&W speakers do support it.

But you are using confusing terminology - the number of "channels" means something different.

Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › NEWB&W 600 series