or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 340

post #10171 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

This is normal.

Welcome to the wonderful world of HDMI and HDCP!

You are experiencing "handshaking" where the HDMI protocol negotiates a connection and checks to make sure all is in compliance with the law (no copying or pirating here) before it gives the go ahead. ...and they call this progress!

It's sort of like "Plug N Play" ... or Plug N Pray!

Avio

I guess I will go back to component then. I don't see any improvement with HDMI and it also messes up my audio so I can't control the volume without using the receivers volume control. Now I really want variable audio outputs.
post #10172 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartographer View Post

As a newbie please bear with me, but it seems that opinions of which HDMI cables to get are all over the place. To be honest I my 5687SAX is my first HD TV. I have presently an old 1996 model RCA 46" CATV projection tv, so I am not a 'cutting edge' kind of person and face it the improvement is going to be dramatic no matter what.

Personal I don't care if I can tell if something is vanilla white or navjo white on my set, just as long as I get a crisp, clear, clean picture. I will be very happy. So that said what should I look for in my choice of HDMI cables?


The best place to get quality cables at a reasonable price is blue jean cables. It seems folks here are biased towards monoprices but blue jean makes arguably the best cables around. Just google them for your proof. About 20 bucks for a 6 footer. One thing we are all in agreement on is that monster puts out overprices junk to the uneducated consumer who tends to think that more expensive is better. Look what they did with a logitech harmony remote... put their name on it and doubled the price.

Justin
post #10173 of 14848
Blah Bla Bla I got 2 perfect sets and you got 3 bad ones. You better check your Geo.
post #10174 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyman View Post

I guess I will go back to component then. I don't see any improvement with HDMI and it also messes up my audio so I can't control the volume without using the receivers volume control. Now I really want variable audio outputs.

Despite my "trashing" of HDMI in my previous post, it has its virtues. As I understand it, component converts to analog as one of its steps. This step can reduce quality... and quality is what we ultimately want. Waiting a second or two for the handshaking is not a big deal.

Using programmed Universal/Macro Remotes you can get around the hassle of using your AVR's volume control. The feature is called PunchThrough, meaning your remote is set for one device, but the volume/mute is always controlled by your AVR. It's easy to setup.

I have several Universal Remotes, but a cheap, powerful favorite is the Sony RM-VL600. Check its review on RemoteCentral.com. It costs as low as $15!

Avio
post #10175 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

Despite my "trashing" of HDMI in my previous post, it has its virtues. As I understand it, component converts to analog as one of its steps. This step can reduce quality... and quality is what we ultimately want. Waiting a second or two for the handshaking is not a big deal.

Using programmed Universal/Macro Remotes you can get around the hassle of using your AVR's volume control. The feature is called PunchThrough, meaning your remote is set for one device, but the volume/mute is always controlled by your AVR. It's easy to setup.

I have several Universal Remotes, but a cheap, powerful favorite is the Sony RM-VL600. Check its review on RemoteCentral.com. It costs as low as $15!

Avio

I don't mind waiting for the handshaking. I just don't like how I have to set up my audio. When I had the Sony with variable audio outputs everything was simple. I used the TV volume control for everything unless I wanted 5.1, then I had to use the receivers volume control. The reason I like using the TV volume is because I don't have to point the remote directly at the tv. I can pretty much point it anywhere in the room and the volume changes. I also like the fact of the onscreen numbers showing how much I am moving the volume. Maybe my receiver is just to old. (about 6 or 7 years) To change the volume on the receiver i have to point fairly close to straight at it and it doesn't display the volume. As far as remotes, the Sony RM-VL600 is the exact remote that I have. Actually I have 2. One for me and my wife. That really makes it simple for her. When using 5.1 surround I used the punchthrough so the remote would control my cable box but would change the volume through the receiver. When not using 5.1 I use punchthrough so the volume is controled by the cable box, but when using HDMI the cable box volume doesn't work. When I had the Sony I used the TV volume to control everything. Even the DVD player if I wanted. Really made it simple for the wife. The ony time I use the receiver volume was for 5.1 surround. Is it pretty normal to have to point the remote directly at the receiver or is mine just to old?
post #10176 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger2131 View Post

Shoot, if you're currently happy AND getting 1080p/24hz to work just fine I would leave well enough alone. Some people seem to make a fetish of having the latest firmware. I understand the urge to keep everything updated but with all the problems people have getting everything to play nicely and have full functionality, is it worth the risk?

If it ain't broke...

Yep, I agree, one of my fav sayings - if it ain't broke, don't BREAK it, lol...

anyway, went ahead and did the update to 1.4 for the helluv it, and as expected, its working perfectly...everything is still smooth as butter and up to date now, time to enjoy the flicks.
post #10177 of 14848
Glad it didn't mess up your 24hz. Seems like one of the models people were having a terrible time with trying to get 24hz was a Panny bluray.
post #10178 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger2131 View Post

Glad it didn't mess up your 24hz. Seems like one of the models people were having a terrible time with trying to get 24hz was a Panny bluray.

To be specific it was a long discussion between jsmiddleton4 and Lord Vader.

I would think either would be very interested in hearing about a BD-30 working with a Samsung 6187SAX.
post #10179 of 14848
Here's a shot

1080p WMV (NOT BLUERAY)

using 360 (Composite @ 1080p)
LL
post #10180 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyman View Post

I don't mind waiting for the handshaking. I just don't like how I have to set up my audio. When I had the Sony with variable audio outputs everything was simple. I used the TV volume control for everything unless I wanted 5.1, then I had to use the receivers volume control. The reason I like using the TV volume is because I don't have to point the remote directly at the tv. I can pretty much point it anywhere in the room and the volume changes. I also like the fact of the onscreen numbers showing how much I am moving the volume. Maybe my receiver is just to old. (about 6 or 7 years) To change the volume on the receiver i have to point fairly close to straight at it and it doesn't display the volume. As far as remotes, the Sony RM-VL600 is the exact remote that I have. Actually I have 2. One for me and my wife. That really makes it simple for her. When using 5.1 surround I used the punchthrough so the remote would control my cable box but would change the volume through the receiver. When not using 5.1 I use punchthrough so the volume is controled by the cable box, but when using HDMI the cable box volume doesn't work. When I had the Sony I used the TV volume to control everything. Even the DVD player if I wanted. Really made it simple for the wife. The ony time I use the receiver volume was for 5.1 surround. Is it pretty normal to have to point the remote directly at the receiver or is mine just to old?


Somethings wrong with your setup then. I have my cable box and blu-ray hooked up with hdmi and the tv volume control works just fine. For watching with the surround I turn the tv all the way down and use the receiver volume. Works out just fine because my gf does'nt have to worry about using the receiver when she wants to watch a movie.


Mike
post #10181 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike105105 View Post

Somethings wrong with your setup then. I have my cable box and blu-ray hooked up with hdmi and the tv volume control works just fine. For watching with the surround I turn the tv all the way down and use the receiver volume. Works out just fine because my gf does'nt have to worry about using the receiver when she wants to watch a movie.


Mike

I was talking about using the tv volume to control the receiver volume with variable audio outputs. I don't use the tv speakers at all.(but they do work) Most normal tv's you can turn the tv speakers off and then control the receiver volume with the tv volume (using variable outputs) Just a lot less buttons for the wife to push.
post #10182 of 14848
I use "internal mute" (in the setup menu), basically the same thing as "speakers off"...I also like the option of still using the TV speakers for certain things sometimes, no need to always fire up the receiver, like for late, late night stuff, the tv sound is fine. =)
post #10183 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stea1th View Post

Here's a shot

1080p WMV (NOT BLUERAY)

using 360 (Composite @ 1080p)

Your geometry looks solid too, sweet!
post #10184 of 14848
I have had this TV for almost 3 months now and love the thing. Beautiful picture runs very cool and is silent. I can't wait to hook a BluRay up to it but am waiting on the prices to drop. I have had NO problems and one benefit I was pleased with is my power bill went down a little. This thing only pulls about 125 watts and since it is on about 18 hours a day that adds up. Hooking a PC up to it via VGA works great. Just like looking at a monitor.

It is right in the firing line of my two year old son and has taken a few licks with little or no scars. I am sure an LCD would've been damaged from an impact with Thomas The Train, airborne after an over the back toss by an excited two year old. The 5087 didn't get a mark. Yogurt handprints wipe right off as well. If you have little ones this set saves you from having to constantly scare them away from your investment. It is tough and resilient. I am pretty sure that the screen is user replaceable at a a reasonable cost as well.

I have seen no picture anomalies worth mentioning. I am amazed at how cool the thing runs. I attribute that to the LED projection system (also the low power needs). With high end electronics this says a lot about long term reliability.

I got this baby for $1400 from Amazon in early to mid November. Original cost was $1650 but Amazon was doing price cuts over the next 30 days and I got the differences refunded to the tune of $250.

My only complaint is that the inputs are on an exposed side due to how i position the set. Access is easy but the plugs are all visible. Just my room dimensions at fault here.

All in all I give this set a 5 out of 5 stars. DLP is great. I am so glad i went this route instead of LCD or Plasma.
post #10185 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyman View Post

... The reason I like using the TV volume is because I don't have to point the remote directly at the tv. I can pretty much point it anywhere in the room and the volume changes. I also like the fact of the onscreen numbers showing how much I am moving the volume. Maybe my receiver is just to old. (about 6 or 7 years) To change the volume on the receiver i have to point fairly close to straight at it and it doesn't display the volume. As far as remotes, the Sony RM-VL600 is the exact remote that I have. Actually I have 2. ...

.. Is it pretty normal to have to point the remote directly at the receiver or is mine just to old?

My Pioneer AVR is 7 years old too. I do not have to aim any of my remotes right at it to change volume or mute. Some of my macros send commands to multiple devices in one macro (e.g. TV, AVR, DVD). Pointing in the general direction almost always works. I can even control volume/mute of my AVR while sitting at my PC which is behind and to the side on my AV components (about 8 feet away). I aim across my large den at the bookcase that has glass doors and the IR signal bounces off the glass and reflects back to the AVR (which is completely out of sight!).

I have found that some AV devices have IR sensors that are very picky about exact aiming. I don't think the issue is age; I think it is the quality of the IR sensor in the device.

Avio
post #10186 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

My Pioneer AVR is 7 years old too. I do not have to aim any of my remotes right at it to change volume or mute. Some of my macros send commands to multiple devices in one macro (e.g. TV, AVR, DVD). Pointing in the general direction almost always works. I can even control volume/mute of my AVR while sitting at my PC which is behind and to the side on my AV components (about 8 feet away). I aim across my large den at the bookcase that has glass doors and the IR signal bounces off the glass and reflects back to the AVR (which is completely out of sight!).

I have found that some AV devices have IR sensors that are very picky about exact aiming. I don't think the issue is age; I think it is the quality of the IR sensor in the device.

Avio

I can point my remote a little off line and it still works, but it has to be pretty close to pointing at the sensor. Maybe 5 or 6 feet to the side. What I like about the TV remote I can point it any direction and it still works. I can even point it behind me. I think I am going to have to call Samsung and see if there is a way to turn on variable audio from the service menu.
post #10187 of 14848
I have a guaranteed delivery for the HLT5087 for Monday, Feb 4th! Just great....the day after the superbowl!! Ah well, I'm not worried, I'll have plenty of football to watch with this tv in the years to come. This is my first "big" purchase I ever made online. I managed to get it for $1390. off of vanns from amazon. I'm not going to lie....I'm excited!
post #10188 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc14 View Post

... It is right in the firing line of my two year old son and has taken a few licks with little or no scars. I am sure an LCD would've been damaged from an impact with Thomas The Train, airborne after an over the back toss by an excited two year old. ...

... I got this baby for $1400 from Amazon ...

Your two year old son or your TV?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Welcome to the Forum.

Avio
post #10189 of 14848
thanks AVIO for responding (and others) but the SW upgrade still doesnt work.. it will recognize T-LAURAUSO when i enter thru the WISELINK buttom om the remote but when i use menu button-setup-SW upgrade the tv does not find the usb drive. i looked at the contents on the drive and it shows the 8 files plus the images folder but i have never used a usb flash drive before so maybe i am doing something wrong? i have tried it zipped and unzipped both- still no luck.. im not sure on the root directory thing. the usb drive is verbatim "store 'n' go usb drive 4gb i left the verbatim manuals on there but other than the t-laurauso file that is it..any more descriptive help would be appreciated -' usb flash drive SW upgrade for Dummies version' is probably what i need. I have H-LT6187s with version 1012 build date 2007-03-3.....thanks
post #10190 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by donreyno View Post

thanks AVIO for responding (and others) but the SW upgrade still doesnt work..

My interpretation of Keith Mickunas' instructions are put the 8 files and the images folder (with its contents) in the root folder/directory of the USB drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

Everything under the directory T-LAURAUS0 needs to be on the thumb drive in the root directory. This includes 8 files and the images subdirectory as well as whatever is in images.

If your USB drive is F:/ put the 8 files as follows with the images folder and its files:

F:/file1.dat
F:/file2.dat
F:/file3.dat
F:/file4.dat
F:/file5.dat
F:/file6.dat
F:/file7.dat
F:/file8.dat
F:/images/img1.img
F:/images/img2.img
F:/images/img3.img
F:/images/img4.img

etc... [this is only a hypo example]

It may be best if the USB drive does not contain the "verbatim manuals." Also make sure the USB drive is formated as FAT or FAT32.

Good luck; be careful. Avio
post #10191 of 14848
Quote:
Good luck; be careful. Avio

if this is an h lt6187s not sax and i currently have version 1012 and i am upgeading to 1026 to utilize 24fps on ps3 what is my concern? i dont want to brick the tv but i was under the impression that people were trying to upgrade an 'sax' with 's' firmware and that is how they ran into problems...has anyone claimed they bricked their tv when using the 1026 link from this thread on the correct 6187s model?
post #10192 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by donreyno View Post

if this is an h lt6187s not sax and i currently have version 1012 and i am upgeading to 1026 to utilize 24fps on ps3 what is my concern? i dont want to brick the tv but i was under the impression that people were trying to upgrade an 'sax' with 's' firmware and that is how they ran into problems...has anyone claimed they bricked their tv when using the 1026 link from this thread on the correct 6187s model?

Yes, at least two posters in this thread have bricked their xx87s by doing a firmware upgrade. One was a professional video calibrator. Neither seemed to do anything wrong with the process. Stuff happens. There is some risk.

Avio
post #10193 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

Yes, at least two posters in this thread have bricked their xx87s by doing a firmware upgrade. One was a professional video calibrator. Neither seemed to do anything wrong with the process. Stuff happens. There is some risk.

Avio

Here's the professional's post reporting the failure:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post11893225

Avio
post #10194 of 14848
OK thanks .... i dont know how to fat or fat32 anyway so i guess i will just wait for now i just wanted 24fps from ps3.. thanks for your help AVIO and all who contribute psoitvely to this thread and the AVS site in general...i just noticed i am now a "member " and not a "new" member hehe... it only took 4 plus years
post #10195 of 14848
I got my 5089 replaced a few weeks ago and the new set has no halo, blotch or internal reflection anomalies. However, the blacks overall seem much brighter, which is not fixable just by adjusting contrast and brightness (black doesn't really get darker, just shadow details get crushed).

The PS3 will output xvYCC and the tv can be set to xvYCC, so that seems like the best settings to use. However, turning on xvYCC causes severe green push that I can't correct with the color controls...I think worse than my defective 89 did.

I know it's been said that there are no xvYCC sources that exist yet, so is it true that there are NO Blu-ray movies that have been encoded with 30-bit color depth? I have noticed that there is far less (or no) banding when xvYCC is turned on. Does anyone else use xvYCC ON?

Is it time to call Samsung for the green push and black levels?

I am please though that like the defective set, geo is near perfect.
post #10196 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by donreyno View Post

.... i dont know how to fat or fat32 anyway so i guess i will just wait for now i just wanted 24fps from ps3..

You can easily check for FAT.

Assuming you're using Windows, install USB drive, open My Computer, right click on the USB drive icon, select Properties from the menu, look for "File System." It will say either NTFS, or FAT32, or FAT.

Avio
post #10197 of 14848
ahhhhh ok ...it says fat32.....i had already looked in properties but i guess i missed that lil bit o info ..thanks AVIO...i wonder what revision David A was upgrading from? mine currently says 1012
post #10198 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by donreyno View Post

...i wonder what revision David A was upgrading from? mine currently says 1012

1012 is considered old.

As you've probably read, many xx87s owners have updated to 1025 or 1026 and gotten 24fps working on their ps3. However, many have also said that they can't tell the difference between 24 and 60.

Avio
post #10199 of 14848
yes i agree 1012 is old ...that is why i am trying to upgrade to 1026..but i made one call to asmsung (see my previous post) and they were no help..unless you have a specific problem that new rev fixes (and 24 fps is not one that samsung counts ) they will not send you upgrade ...they also said they refer back to previous recorded phone calls to establish if a customer is "fishing" to try to get latest firmware rev...that is why i was trying to do it myself or find out what exact problem i need to pose to samsung so they will send new sw update.....i want to make sure before i call them again so they dont turn me down...or update it myself ...so far with no luck, per my previous posts
post #10200 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

To be specific it was a long discussion between jsmiddleton4 and Lord Vader.

I would think either would be very interested in hearing about a BD-30 working with a Samsung 6187SAX.

Except that our discussion concered the 6189S and not the 6187SAX. Neither js nor I have been able to get our BD30 to play 24p.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)