or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 465

post #13921 of 14848
denglabd -

I would love to have that phone number on hand in case I ever need to do the same thing.

Thanks.
post #13922 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post

denglabd -

I would love to have that phone number on hand in case I ever need to do the same thing.

Thanks.

Samsung Executive Care 1-800-522-7341
post #13923 of 14848
I have had a 5087S for almost 4 years now and it started acting up today.

When it is first turned on, the color on the tv picture has an aqua appearance. After a couple of minutes of the aqua color, the tv starts to flicker a darker blue appearance for about a half a second. Then the picture returns to the aqua color scheme for a second and the pattern continues. From what I have read on this forum, it appears to me that the red LED is out, but the flickering to a darker blue is a bit puzzling to me.

There aren't any other problems with the TV.

Any thoughts and/or opinions would be great...
post #13924 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post

Tough position....I think I would call it quits on this set. I know it feels like a waste after what you just spent, but another failure is probably around the corner. I have done the red LED replacement and it is not that bad. It is fun to brag about it at work. I would try to see if you could get the repair shop to credit you back the cost of a RED LED online ($100) and try the repair yourself.

Your set is only 50" so you have a lot of choices out there if the repair shop says NO. Pictures get better and better every year on the new sets.

I have just started having dead pixels (stuck mirrors) on my 61". I am about to go through the same struggle as you. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

I went after the repair shop, and he keeps saying that it must have been something I did on my end, because it was working perfectly fine in his shop. I'm guessing all he did was pull up the menu on my TV to see if it had a picture, and called it good. The menu is not going to show signs that the red is missing unless you know what colors the menu are supposed to be. Needless to say, he will not be making any more repairs after he had it for 5 weeks the last time.

I've shopped around for a new set, and after putting $650 into this set, I figure I should give it one last shot. I ordered the red led and it is scheduled for arrival on Monday. It cost me $124 w/shipping. I'll have to run to Radio Shack and pick up some Thermal Paste and try my hand at a little television repair. I'll keep you posted on how it all turns out. That youtube video and the posts here look to be quite helpful in getting the job done without a hitch.
post #13925 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjthielbar View Post

I went after the repair shop, and he keeps saying that it must have been something I did on my end, because it was working perfectly fine in his shop. I'm guessing all he did was pull up the menu on my TV to see if it had a picture, and called it good. The menu is not going to show signs that the red is missing unless you know what colors the menu are supposed to be. Needless to say, he will not be making any more repairs after he had it for 5 weeks the last time.

I've shopped around for a new set, and after putting $650 into this set, I figure I should give it one last shot. I ordered the red led and it is scheduled for arrival on Monday. It cost me $124 w/shipping. I'll have to run to Radio Shack and pick up some Thermal Paste and try my hand at a little television repair. I'll keep you posted on how it all turns out. That youtube video and the posts here look to be quite helpful in getting the job done without a hitch.

Too bad the repair shop did not power it on to show you the set was working after the 5 weeks when you picked it up. That would of helped both of you out. I am sure you will do fine with the LED replacement. Just take your time and be methodical.
post #13926 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtismk View Post

I have had a 5087S for almost 4 years now and it started acting up today.

When it is first turned on, the color on the tv picture has an aqua appearance. After a couple of minutes of the aqua color, the tv starts to flicker a darker blue appearance for about a half a second. Then the picture returns to the aqua color scheme for a second and the pattern continues. From what I have read on this forum, it appears to me that the red LED is out, but the flickering to a darker blue is a bit puzzling to me.

There aren't any other problems with the TV.

Any thoughts and/or opinions would be great...

Sure sounds like the red LED. In honor of the start of football season: It is pretty apparent looking at football. The field is a nasty blue/green color rather than a deep rich green. Your brain KNOWS what it should look like. If you want, post a picture.
post #13927 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post

Thanks Bob. I will be making the call. I now have a "twinkling" pixel in the middle of the set. Oh joy...

It went pretty smooth. Repair shop said there would $95 charge to evaluate since my model was not one of the "listed" models with problems. I checked back with Samsung Executive Care and they had me send send some photos for them to make a determination of the problem. I CCed the repair shop. (The Repair ticket email from Samsung had the email address of the repair shop listed.) I never heard back from Samsung, but the repair shop said the photos convinced them what the problem was. The tech came and replaced the DLP chip in about 10 minutes. There was no charge. By the time the tech got there, I had over 40 stuck off mirrors, 6 stuck on and 3 twinklers.

Thanks again Bob.
post #13928 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post

It went pretty smooth. Repair shop said there would $95 charge to evaluate since my model was not one of the "listed" models with problems. I checked back with Samsung Executive Care and they had me send send some photos for them to make a determination of the problem. I CCed the repair shop. (The Repair ticket email from Samsung had the email address of the repair shop listed.) I never heard back from Samsung, but the repair shop said the photos convinced them what the problem was. The tech came and replaced the DLP chip in about 10 minutes. There was no charge. By the time the tech got there, I had over 40 stuck off mirrors, 6 stuck on and 3 twinklers.

Thanks again Bob.

Wow, that was fast. I'm glad that you had a positive experience - there definitely should not have been a $95 charge - that sounds like skimming to me. Have you tried out the 3D on your set?
post #13929 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanebob View Post

Have you tried out the 3D on your set?

Have not made that leap yet. I did read through the thread awhile back to get caught up on Mitsu conversion box. I probably need to do it again. Not sure I would get much use.

How about you? (I did not look back in the thread to see if you had commented on the 3D before).
post #13930 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post

Too bad the repair shop did not power it on to show you the set was working after the 5 weeks when you picked it up. That would of helped both of you out. I am sure you will do fine with the LED replacement. Just take your time and be methodical.

Well I received the part last night and tore into the TV right away. It went extremely smooth and it worked like a CHARM!!!! I can't believe I was able to fix my television on my own. I'm ecstatic!! Thank you all for the help!! It only took me about an hour and 15 minutes. I also changed my settings to normal on my picture display to hopefully get more life out of the LED this time. I forgot to grab the part to take a good picture of the failed LED at work, but it looks like others that have been posted here. I'd like to cram it up the repair guy's you know what. Still can't believe he blamed me for the malfunction! And I can't believe how dirty and dusty the inside of the set was. I can't believe he openened the set up, or at least cleaned it up a bit!!
post #13931 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjthielbar View Post

Well I received the part last night and tore into the TV right away. It went extremely smooth and it worked like a CHARM!!!! I can't believe I was able to fix my television on my own. I'm ecstatic!!

Great Job! Enjoy the rush.
post #13932 of 14848
sjthielbar -

Just curious - what were the symptoms of your TV that made you take it to the repair shop in the first place?
post #13933 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post

sjthielbar -

Just curious - what were the symptoms of your TV that made you take it to the repair shop in the first place?

I had completely lost the picture. I had sound but absolutely no picture. The repair shop replaced 2 "modules" as he called them.
post #13934 of 14848
Did you add the fan modification to the side of the TV as discussed a few pages back? I'm hoping that keeps the RED LED from over heating and makes it last longer.
post #13935 of 14848
I am experiencing the exact same thing. Can you tell me where you ordered the part?
post #13936 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels55 View Post

Did you add the fan modification to the side of the TV as discussed a few pages back? I'm hoping that keeps the RED LED from over heating and makes it last longer.

I did not add the fan modification. I may look into that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasqueHead View Post

I am experiencing the exact same thing. Can you tell me where you ordered the part?

Yes, I ordered the part from Emcompass.com. The part # for the red LED is BP07-00029A.
post #13937 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post

Have not made that leap yet. I did read through the thread awhile back to get caught up on Mitsu conversion box. I probably need to do it again. Not sure I would get much use.

How about you? (I did not look back in the thread to see if you had commented on the 3D before).

Yes, I bought the Mitsu converter box and Xpand 103 glasses back in November of last year. I must say that I still enjoy the 3d - it is excellent on these sets - and still feel like a kid with a new toy every time that I watch it. I already had a PS3 to play 3D Blu-rays and games. My dad just bought a Panasonic Blu-ray player and is going to send me the 3D Avatar disc that came as a promo with it - he doesn't have a 3D set. Can't wait!
post #13938 of 14848
My 5087 stopped showing picture last night out of nowhere. Was watching a blu-ray and picture cut out, no color change from what I could tell and sound was working. So, I turned off the TV and back on and now it continues to try to turn on. As soon as I plug in the power the right most green LED flashes 3-4 times. Something is working because I can tell the screen is displaying a black image. After the green LED flashes the standby LED will flash once and the TV will start again trying to turn on. It never gives me the 3 flashing LED error code.

I have pulled out the light engine and tested all 3 LEDs with a 9 volt battery and they are all working. I completely cleaned out any dust from the heatsinks and fans (all fans are working) but I can't seem to figure out whats going on. Any suggestions? I have had the TV for 3 1/2 years and only problem I have ever had was I had 1 fan replaced within the year warrenty.
post #13939 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmnm View Post

My 5087 stopped showing picture last night out of nowhere. Was watching a blu-ray and picture cut out, no color change from what I could tell and sound was working. So, I turned off the TV and back on and now it continues to try to turn on. As soon as I plug in the power the right most green LED flashes 3-4 times. Something is working because I can tell the screen is displaying a black image. After the green LED flashes the standby LED will flash once and the TV will start again trying to turn on. It never gives me the 3 flashing LED error code.

I have pulled out the light engine and tested all 3 LEDs with a 9 volt battery and they are all working. I completely cleaned out any dust from the heatsinks and fans (all fans are working) but I can't seem to figure out whats going on. Any suggestions? I have had the TV for 3 1/2 years and only problem I have ever had was I had 1 fan replaced within the year warrenty.

I experienced the same exact thing and could not find anything here nor the internet to help with this problem. As you can read from my previous posts in this thread, I took it to a TV repair shop, and $650 later I did get my picture back. The repairman said he replaced 2 "modules". Sorry, that's not very specific. When I got it home, the red LED had also fried, which he did not fix, nor did it look like he had even opened up the TV, as the light engine was completely full of dust...TONS of it.

Hopefully someone here knows exactly what needs to be replaced, although the cost of the modules was $250 each. Like some told me, it may be time to just replace the set. I already had the money sunk into it, so I just spent the money to replace the LED. Good luck, I hope things turn out better for you!!
post #13940 of 14848
I didn't think there were any $250 parts in the TV. I am half tempted to change out the SMP board beacuse that would be really easy.
post #13941 of 14848
Just started today never had any problems before. HL-T6189SA turns on normally for 1 minute then shuts down making the little shut down noise then turns right back on again with the far right light blicking as it normally does when it turns on, then 1 minute later turns off again and so on. When TV is on picture looks great no blicking lights everything looks good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. (read somewhere maybe ballast???)
post #13942 of 14848
I replaced my Blue LED in June and was excited I didn't have to go buy a new TV.

Now I've got the "white dot" problem. Started with 1 dot a few days ago and now I'm up to 5 dots.

Found this forum on Cnet: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...message5208893

Hopefully I can get some love from Samsung on my HLT5687s. I really like the TV, except for the problems recently and I'm not in the mood or the financial position to go buy another TV right now!
post #13943 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by pej7445 View Post

I replaced my Blue LED in June and was excited I didn't have to go buy a new TV.

Now I've got the "white dot" problem. Started with 1 dot a few days ago and now I'm up to 5 dots.

Found this forum on Cnet: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...message5208893

Hopefully I can get some love from Samsung on my HLT5687s. I really like the TV, except for the problems recently and I'm not in the mood or the financial position to go buy another TV right now!

Call Samsung Executive Care and tell them that you want them to repair this "known issue" with your TV. The number is located a couple of pages back on this forum.
post #13944 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanebob View Post

Call Samsung Executive Care and tell them that you want them to repair this "known issue" with your TV. The number is located a couple of pages back on this forum.

I tried to reach Excecutive Care, the phone number didn't work. It was simply a recording directing me to call 1-800-Samsung.

I also just got a response from my support request via Facebook, this is what they said:

"Good morning Mr. Jones,

Thank you for reaching out via our Facebook page. Unfortunately your television is out of warranty, and we're unable to accommodate service. We apologize for any inconveniences. If you would like to contact an authorized service center in your area, you can find one here:
http://smsn.us/FindService
Please let us know if you have any questions.

Cordially,

Mary
@SamsungMary
Samsung Electronics Social Media Support Team"

I guess I'm screwed.
post #13945 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by pej7445 View Post

I tried to reach Excecutive Care, the phone number didn't work. It was simply a recording directing me to call 1-800-Samsung.

I also just got a response from my support request via Facebook, this is what they said:

"Good morning Mr. Jones,

Thank you for reaching out via our Facebook page. Unfortunately your television is out of warranty, and we're unable to accommodate service. We apologize for any inconveniences. If you would like to contact an authorized service center in your area, you can find one here:
http://smsn.us/FindService
Please let us know if you have any questions.

Cordially,

Mary
@SamsungMary
Samsung Electronics Social Media Support Team"

I guess I'm screwed.

whoa pej, I just tried the Executive Care number and got the recording to call 1800Samsung. I guess Samsung has either discontinued their executive care service or changed the number. bummer
post #13946 of 14848
pej, you can always try sourcing the light engine and installing it yourself. I know that I've read about people on this thread that did just that and it seems to be a fairly straightforward job. You can source the service manual on the internet - I bought one for my TV-which will help. I believe the cost is somewhere @ $250-350 and it would be cheaper than buying a new TV. Search youtube for an instruction video for your model TV. Good luck.
post #13947 of 14848
Folks:
I just wanted to say that my HLT 6187S is still running great after four + years of great service with NO REPAIRS whatsoever. Although I can't be certain, I believe that turning down the brightness and contrast to reasonable levels and vacuuming the dust off of the circuit boards every now and then may have contributed to its long, trouble-free life.

Absolutely no regrets,
post #13948 of 14848
mnilan: I've got the same model and it's also 4 years old and still producing the best image I've ever seen on a television.

Your point about brightness and contrast is well taken. Remember folks, TV's are normally set with brightness and contrast cranked up to torch mode at the factory (and CERTAINLY on store floor samples!). That apparently has led to the early demise of the red LED. It would be an interesting statistic to know what percent of burned out red LED's were in sets that were viewed with those controls turned up, versus those that were turned way down and the whole picture "calibrated".

I recommend that everyone open the back of their Sammy and observe the amount of dust on the circuitry, particularly on heatsinks. Mine wasn't very dusty, but I know others on here were surprised by the amount of dust they encountered.

For future readiness, I plan to buy a red LED to have on hand just in case.
post #13949 of 14848
Hi

My HLT6187s display turned. Greenish blue (or a bluefish green if u will) last night all of a sudden whole watching TV. Checked all inputs and the tv's menu and it's the same, so I know it's not an individual source

No warning on the picture, it just happened. TV was working flawlessly up till that point. It had been on about an hour prior to it happening. Unplugged it overnight and turned it back on this morning to the same issue

Any idea what is shot and a price range to fix??
Any ideas would be helpful would love to know this is repairable and not to $$$$$
Thanks
Ron
post #13950 of 14848
Most likely problem is that the red LED has burned out. Look through this thread or "search" it for red LED and you will see that a failed red LED is the most common problem with these televisions. You will also see a source or two to order a new red LED from for about $80. You can remove the old one and install the new one yourself. Again, search for a post with photos and instructions on replacing the red LED.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)