or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 3

post #61 of 14848
One of the most important questions is:

How is the SSE (Silk Screen Effect) on this TV? (For those of you that don't know, it is that shimmering look that you see on the screen when there are bright solid colors on the screen.)

If you see SSE, can you let us know if it is worse/better than what you've see from other RPTV's??

Thanks.
post #62 of 14848
Thread Starter 
Hey can anyone use the links in the first post? They've stopped working for me.
post #63 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_H View Post

Hey can anyone use the links in the first post? They've stopped working for me.

Not clickable for me either. Nice job so far keeping the thread up to date Jonny.
post #64 of 14848
Hey guys...I'm looking for a good online store to purchase my new Samsung HLT from. Any good advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
post #65 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick325 View Post

...
1. Will the AUDIO OUT send through signals from HDMI as well as the normal analog sources?

If the lucky owners would be so kind, I have a follow up to rick325's question:
1a. If so, is the audio still 5.1 (or however your HT speakers are set up)?

Thank you! Hope you are enjoying your new TVs!
post #66 of 14848
What are the dimensions of the "foot" of the 56" sets?

Thanks!
post #67 of 14848
How are the black levels?

How is the brightness levels?
post #68 of 14848
how is the brightness.
how good is color reproduction ?
--
thanx for all the updates !!
post #69 of 14848
WOW you guys are going to bury them in questions!
post #70 of 14848
And we have no answers!!! =D Must.find.one.in.austin....
post #71 of 14848
We need pictures and answers!!!
post #72 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal View Post

WOW you guys are going to bury them in questions!

Lol, I'd be happy to answer as many as I can as soon as my set gets here. Still 2-6 days though. The wait is killing me.

I'm the type that'd rather tinker and test the technology then simply enjoy it. My girlfriend will probably use it more than I will
post #73 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_H View Post

Hey can anyone use the links in the first post? They've stopped working for me.

You might want to check with David. He made a change today that caused some links to fail. I'm not sure I followed their jargon but here is where it was discussed.

Links in my posts/sig don't work any more
post #74 of 14848
This is a general observation that's not aimed at anyone specific.

I'm watching my sixth Samsung introduction of a new model year. Let me be the first to predict that, in the not too distant future, newcomer's with questions will start their post something like this.

"I'm new here, and there is no way I can read all the posts in this monster thread. Can one of you experts please answer ... ? Thanks in advance."

Nervous anticipation posts, declaring how nervous and excited we all are, will make up a big chunk of the posts in this soon to be "monster" thread.

Another big chunk will be shopping questions that are against forum rules.

There are 17,413 posts in the 2006 thread dealing with a similar group of Samsung sets. At the moment there are about 74 posts in this thread, and over a 1,000 in the 2007 anticipation thread linked at the bottom of my post.

An owner's thread works best if it's mostly reports from owner's, combined with answers to questions from other owners, prospective owners, or those that are just curious.

Actual shopping, delivery, or general excitement posts wind up making the thread less useful. At least that's how it has appeared to me in during the previous five model years.

I know everyone is excited.

"Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models" is now at 17,415 posts, and the last five posts are excited.
post #75 of 14848
Just ordered the HL-T5689S. I plan on picking up the BD-P1200 tomorrow in preparation for it's arrival. I'll give everyone my 2 cents in a week.

(sorry htwaits .. but I am excited !!!)
post #76 of 14848
Does the Set display whatever resolution you feed it, (480i, 480p, 1080i) or does it upconvert everything to 1080p?
post #77 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene S View Post

Does the Set display whatever resolution you feed it, (480i, 480p, 1080i) or does it upconvert everything to 1080p?

Yes. That's true of all microchip displays -- DLP, LCoS(SXRD), or LCD RPTV sets. It's also true of all flat panel displays -- plasma and LCD.

Each type display will convert all inputs to it's own native resolution. In the case you are asking about that would be 1080p.
post #78 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Yes. That's true of all microchip displays -- DLP, LCoS(SXRD), or LCD RPTV sets. It's also true of all flat panel displays -- plasma and LCD.

Each type display will convert all inputs to it's own native resolution. In the case you are asking about that would be 1080p.


my tv may convert it to its native resolution, but it sure as hell tells me the resolution I am feeding it and not its converted res.
post #79 of 14848
The 87 Has been out on e-bay for a week now. Whats the hold up? Im so excited!
post #80 of 14848
I should be getting my 5087S today...

Joe
post #81 of 14848
I think we'd all like some general PQ impressions compared to other TV's (Sony SXRD, JVC, Mits) if possible. Any input current owners of the 87/89S can give would be appreciated by all.

Also, according to the manual, the refresh rate is 120hz. Has anyone tested this with 1080p/24 playback yet to see if this helps with or eliminates judder?
post #82 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

my tv may convert it to its native resolution, but it sure as hell tells me the resolution I am feeding it and not its converted res.

That's what it is supposed to do. Why would you want it to announce what it does in all cases?
post #83 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hess View Post

And we have no answers!!! =D Must.find.one.in.austin....

Good luck! And let me know if you do. I've had trouble finding anyone who even knows when they'll get them in. What WAS my local B&M of choice dumped on them (and Samsung) so badly, that I will no longer be giving them my business.

Both Magnolias I've been to don't really seem to know what's going on.

Have you talked to anyone in town that says they'll be carrying them, for sure, besides the Big Boys?
post #84 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBee View Post

Both Magnolias I've been to don't really seem to know what's going on.

If the Magnolia stores you went to are actually departments in a BB store you are still dealing with BB.

The stand alone Magnolia Audio-Video stores are owned by BB but are managed separately. In general they should provide better service and better information.
post #85 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If the Magnolia stores you went to are actually departments in a BB store you are still dealing with BB.

I'm aware. No stand alones in Austin.
post #86 of 14848
I've been so close to buying the HL-S6767W from Costco, but I've been holding out since the $2499 sale ended. Costco will likely sell out before I decide. Will Samsung have one of the LED sets in a 65-67 version? This size is ideal for me. Unfortunately, it sounds like these LED sets are going to be very expensive for a while.
post #87 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That's what it is supposed to do. Why would you want it to announce what it does in all cases?


well, reading your answer to the original question sounds like it will always say 1080p. I was just clarifying for the guy that asked.
post #88 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post

I've been so close to buying the HL-S6767W from Costco, but I've been holding out since the $2499 sale ended. Costco will likely sell out before I decide. Will Samsung have one of the LED sets in a 65-67 version? This size is ideal for me. Unfortunately, it sounds like these LED sets are going to be very expensive for a while.

Not for some time. I've read from Samsung that due to technical limitations this year will be limited to 61".
post #89 of 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post

I've been so close to buying the HL-S6767W from Costco, but I've been holding out since the $2499 sale ended. Costco will likely sell out before I decide. Will Samsung have one of the LED sets in a 65-67 version? This size is ideal for me. Unfortunately, it sounds like these LED sets are going to be very expensive for a while.

Samsung has not announced any plans for an LED larger than 61" at this juncture. Doesn't mean they won't but just not announced for this year.
post #90 of 14848
Crutchfield is listing these TVs now. They are reporting the HDMI to be 1.1 on the 87 series, and 1.3 on the 89 series. I ordered the 89 series before I saw this, so I'm pretty happy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)