or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S) - Page 304

post #9091 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sc View Post

The 87SAX will pass DD from the TV Optical using HDMI #1 and #2. I have my DirecTV reciever on #1 and XBOX 360 elite on #2. My firmware is 1008. I do not if this is because it is a SAX model or the firmware.

Attachment 97147

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THE NEWER 87SAX/*** PLZ HELP.

Here's a copy of a previous message, can someone else check into this to see what's up and confirm by TESTING, NOT by the lip service from Samsung or the owners manual. Mike post yer details if you would, so folks can look into this.

Re: Audio out info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sc
Yes, I am listening to 5.1 surround. I have a TEAC amp which is about 4 years old and it does Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, and DTS and it indicates which one is selected. Meaning that if I select DTS in a DVD menu the reciever will switch and decode that. I also "Backup" alot of movies and I usually take out the DTS because it is alot bigger than Dolby Digital.
I use my XBOX 360 elite with HDMI#2 and I am definetly getting surround sound on the games. Now, I am wondering if yours can be upgrade with a firmware change.

My Reply:
Don't have one yet...get mine at the end of Jan08(TaxTime!) if nothing new comes out of the CES.

The SAX has a different firmware than the rest, it seems. You might want to post this in the main forum as it pertains to the people with the new SAX models. This'll give us some 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinions on the issue and get lots of folks to confirm it. We still don't know if any hardware changes occured(other than the light engine fix) to allow optical Dolby pass-thru. That needs to be confirmed by Samsung. We know that the HDMI/optical STEREO (R/L)pass-thru was enabled as the original 87 had no HDMI/optical audio pass-thru whatsoever(according to the manual). But this fix may have incorporated a change of the audio circuit; i.e. a different processing chip, layout, components, etc....who knows? We need Samsung to cough up some info.

Your set may be the exception rather than the rule and this should/needs to be confirmed by others with the same set. Make sure you detail your setup and which connections to what hardware along with the complete model #, build date of the set, and firmware version.
post #9092 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post

Does anyone have an HL-Txx87S remote controlling their BD-P1400? ... I cannot get the TV remote to control the BR player. Very frustrating. Samsung technical support was next to useless on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post

... I just want the Samsung remote to control a device made by the same company within probably months of each other to play well together. It baffles me that Samsung would go to the trouble of offering a do-all remote then offer up a BR player that doesn't conform.

Barry: I think you are totally justified in your frustration with Samsung. I advise calling back Samsung support; or using their online web support. Your 2 new Samsung products should work together and your TV's remote should control your BR player.

If you call back ask for "tier 2" or "level 2" support. If you still get dissed ask for a supervisor.

By the way, I too abandoned my original remotes and own and use 2 programmable, macro and learning capable, universal remotes. They work great! If you are concerned about price get the Sony RM-VL600: I paid $15 for factory refurb... new is about $22+.

Avio
post #9093 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post

Does anyone have an HL-Txx87S remote controlling their BD-P1400?

I recently purchased the HL-T6187S (SX/XAA, not SAX apparently for better or for worse). I also have a Samsung BD-P1400 Blue Ray player. I tried to make the HL-T remote work with the 1400 by following the procedure described in the user's manual, and entering the codes suggested in the user manual. No go, it simply did not work.

The BR player remote seems to work just okay with the TV, but I cannot get the TV remote to control the BR player. Very frustrating. Samsung technical support was next to useless on the matter.

I have searched but did not find an answer. Ideas?


Thanks,

Barry

enable hdmi-cec in the tv's menu. this should enable full control over the player
post #9094 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

enable hdmi-cec in the tv's menu. this should enable full control over the player

talbain: Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought HDMI-CEC was only available on the xx89S models. I own the 5689S and it has the following features:

- 3 HDMI ports (new version 1.3) with CEC
- Anynet+: AV network system to control Samsung AV devices from TV

My impression is that the xx87S models do not have CEC.

Avio
post #9095 of 14851
Alright, I have read through hundreds of posts looking for an answer to this question and have yet to find it.

I am debating between the 87S and 89S, I have seen lists covering the various differences between the two but what I am interested in the the ability to display 1080/24p material.

Are both capable of displaying 1080/24p?

Also, I know this may not be the place to ask, however, which is a more trusted place to purchase one of these sets from The Big River, Crutchfield, or Vanns?
post #9096 of 14851
Neither is capable of displaying 24p. See the Panasonic BD30 thread for info on that.

I've got a 6189S and like it, but like most TVs, it's not capable of 24p video.
post #9097 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

Neither is capable of displaying 24p. See the Panasonic BD30 thread for info on that.

I've got a 6189S and like it, but like most TVs, it's not capable of 24p video.

Ah yeah, well I guess it was just wishful thinking then. I have read a few posts of owners of the 89 series displaying 24p material by forcing it on the PS3, I wasn't certain if it was actually able to display this material because it is not listed anywhere on Samsung websites.
post #9098 of 14851
blacktoothgrin the firmware on mine is 1018
post #9099 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post

Does anyone have an HL-Txx87S remote controlling their BD-P1400?

I recently purchased the HL-T6187S (SX/XAA, not SAX apparently for better or for worse). I also have a Samsung BD-P1400 Blue Ray player. I tried to make the HL-T remote work with the 1400 by following the procedure described in the user's manual, and entering the codes suggested in the user manual. No go, it simply did not work.

The BR player remote seems to work just okay with the TV, but I cannot get the TV remote to control the BR player. Very frustrating. Samsung technical support was next to useless on the matter.

I have searched but did not find an answer. Ideas?


Thanks,

Barry

I have a 6187s and a bd1400. I control both with the tv remote. The bd controller is in the drawer. I had the same problem the other day, pressed the game button on the tv remote and not it controls the bluray disc player as well. No need to buy a fancy remote.
post #9100 of 14851
Hi all,
I ordered the HLT6187SAX from the big river but received a HLT6187S. I don't see any geometry problems and no blue halo (though I haven't put up the test .jpg yet). SSE takes some getting used to, though it is much better with the contrast turned down.

My question is, should I request that I get a replacement HLT6187SAX or leave well enough alone and stick with the HLT6187S?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joe H
post #9101 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

talbain: Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought HDMI-CEC was only available on the xx89S models. I own the 5689S and it has the following features:

- 3 HDMI ports (new version 1.3) with CEC
- Anynet+: AV network system to control Samsung AV devices from TV

My impression is that the xx87S models do not have CEC.

Avio

This too is my understanding. I wanted the 89s for the HDMI 1.3 implementation but chose to take advantage of a sale locally on the 87s.

Thanks for the support and tips concerning Samsung TS. I have a case number and will pester the 2nd tier support people after Christmas.

I see a reference to hitting the game button below. Sounds odd but I will try it.


Barry
post #9102 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

Neither is capable of displaying 24p. See the Panasonic BD30 thread for info on that.

I've got a 6189S and like it, but like most TVs, it's not capable of 24p video.

sorry, but this is not correct. both the 89 AND the 87 are capable of 1080p/24

89 series is out of the box, there are reports that a firmware update is needed on some 87's.

no need to "force" anything. it is properly detected, displayed and reported as 1080p24 on the 5689 (the model i own)...

also, i'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but quite a few high end tvs are capable of 24hz these days...

and remember that the 89 series is the flagship high end dlp product from samsung
post #9103 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

talbain: Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought HDMI-CEC was only available on the xx89S models. I own the 5689S and it has the following features:

- 3 HDMI ports (new version 1.3) with CEC
- Anynet+: AV network system to control Samsung AV devices from TV

My impression is that the xx87S models do not have CEC.

Avio

yes, you are absolutely correct. it's a feature of the 89 series only. sometimes i forget there's another series in this thread that does not share all of the same features...
post #9104 of 14851
Is the )))))))))))))))))) ((((((((((((((((((((((((( Fixable?

If it is, is there a chance my picture quality could be degraded afterwards?
post #9105 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman222 View Post

Hi all,
I ordered the HLT6187SAX from the big river but received a HLT6187S. I don't see any geometry problems and no blue halo (though I haven't put up the test .jpg yet). SSE takes some getting used to, though it is much better with the contrast turned down.

My question is, should I request that I get a replacement HLT6187SAX or leave well enough alone and stick with the HLT6187S?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joe H

Hey Joe, I have the opposite situation... I ordered the "S" model a couple of months ago and got the "SAX". There is a lot of confusion about the two. They appear to be pretty much identical. I tend to think that it is the designation difference is the country or plant of manufacture. Most stores show it as an "S" model but when you look on the serial number plate, some of the units show up as "SAX". Amazon is the only place I have seen actually advertise it as the "SAX" model.

If yours works fine, I would just enjoy and move on.
post #9106 of 14851
Does anyone know what the width of this TV's base (50" one) is?
post #9107 of 14851
Hey guys. I hope you can lead me in the right direction. I have a HLT 5687 and need some help. First of all here is the video I took. http://www.mediafire.com/?61gm2jcovxz I know it's a big file but I will be forever grateful if someone can put me in the right direction.

I want to start off by saying this issue is one only experienced with the PS3. Before we run off and say it's the PS3 let me tell you what I've done here. I took my ps3 over to my buddies who has the EXACT same tv. Plugged it in, same lines. Plugged his ps3 on his tv, same issue. I honestly don't know anyone else within 300 miles that has another HDTV to test this one so I'm stuck. The lines aren't always there though. Very random. I thought maybe ground loop as was suggested by the Playstation guys so I bought some 3-2 prong adaptors and that didn't help. I've replaced the HDMI cord and same deal.

I'm really at a loss here. The same demo that's being played in the video, played on the 360, perfect each time. Never a problem. Also, I've tried component cables, same thing. I have no idea what else to try and I'm hoping someone here can help. Thanks for any help.
post #9108 of 14851
I also noticed something else that's weird. When the lines are gone, I can restart the system many times with no issue, I restart the tv and BAM the lines are back. Also, the lines are only in certain parts of various demo's. For example, in that video you see there, the lines appear in fences and other random objects, but they may not be there in the video before the game.
post #9109 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

sorry, but this is not correct. both the 89 AND the 87 are capable of 1080p/24

89 series is out of the box, there are reports that a firmware update is needed on some 87's.

no need to "force" anything. it is properly detected, displayed and reported as 1080p24 on the 5689 (the model i own)...

also, i'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but quite a few high end tvs are capable of 24hz these days...

and remember that the 89 series is the flagship high end dlp product from samsung

Yes, the 89 series does accept 24fps, just not from Samsung's own BD-P1200...go figure.


Also, i see lots of people talking about new fw for the 87 series, are there any updates for the 89 series?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all...

G.
post #9110 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

sorry, but this is not correct. both the 89 AND the 87 are capable of 1080p/24

89 series is out of the box, there are reports that a firmware update is needed on some 87's.

no need to "force" anything. it is properly detected, displayed and reported as 1080p24 on the 5689 (the model i own)...

also, i'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but quite a few high end tvs are capable of 24hz these days...

and remember that the 89 series is the flagship high end dlp product from samsung

Sorry, but I've checked with both Samsung and Panasonic. Here's Sammy's specific statement to me: "I'm sorry, but our 6180 series is not 24p compatible." I asked about a firmware update and they went on to elaborate that no firmware would be able to alter this. Their explanation included the 60Hz limitations. In short, the 6187 and 6189 cannot deliver 24p video.

BTW, don't you think that if it was 24p capable "out of the box" as you state, I would've been able to either assume that or figure it out? There's a reason that when had everything properly connected, the 24p option in my BD30 setup was grayed out--it recognized that the 6189S wasn't 24p capable. I had tried every way possible to get it, but then eventually learned from multiple sources that it isn't 24p capable. Even two Panasonic technicians explained this. I highly doubt a half-dozen people in the two companies involved would all be wrong.
post #9111 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvtct View Post

Does anyone know what the width of this TV's base (50" one) is?

My HL-T5087SAX's base is 39" wide and about 13.5" deep. The little rubber feet are actually 2-3" inside, so you could get away with a slightly smaller stand, as I do.

Tim
post #9112 of 14851
Can anyone confirm that my HL-T5687S with firmware 1026 will be able to accept a 24p signal from a Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD player?
post #9113 of 14851
Nope. HL-T5687S with firmware 1026 _IS NOT PRESENTLY_ able to _NEGOTIATE_ a 24p signal _WITH_ a Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD player . I have this very configuration.

Notice how I changed the wording . Very important.

We are all waiting for Toshi to release "forced" 24Hz feature, through next FW upgrade. PS3 has no difficulties, with this very format and this very TV, when put into "force" 24Hz mode.

Most likely (and I am too lazy to verify it on my HTPC), the EDID reported by the TV doesn't offer 24Hz as supported resolution. Yet, it DOES display 24Hz when it is "forcefully" fed to it. May be Samsung will fix the EDID (10% chance), or Toshi release forced feature (hmmmmm ... 20% chance) or it aint happening at all (70% chance). Well, there's a 1% chance a small EDID mangler appliance will be made by some1, that will address that. HDMI switchers are ideal place to implement something like that in, but the price will go way up. They sell (5x1) for $70 these days.
post #9114 of 14851
I got my 5089 and set it up a week and a half ago on Dec 14. Got it primarily for PS3 and XBOX360, but have realized I will be watching DVDs and Bluray movies more than I thought. I was mostly pleased with PQ and geometry. However I do see slight RBE but it's almost difficult to detect, has not given me a headache or eye strain, and so for me it's NBD.

There seems to be some amount of green push, I'd say a mid amount. It's not extreme but enough that I am not getting satisfactory color on DVD and Bluray movies; yellows are greenish, skin tones are not red enough and boosting red makes lips turn magenta. Light blues go cyan/aqua-ish. Shadows have a green cast like The Matrix only not intended. The push is the worst in xvYCC color mode but isn't that mode the best for color range?

I did not have the traditional halo effect, but one that my local technician as well as the Samsung engineer he called while here had never heard of before: there is a large, soft glow in the center that appears to have a shadow in the lower half. It looks something like a mountain range just after sunset, except the "sky" part is just gray. Along the edge there seems to be a faint reddish fringe. It's visible only when the screen is black or during dark scenes in movies.

The tech swapped out my non-painted lens bracket but that didn't help. He didn't have any other parts with him and said he'll return hopefully this week to try something else (I don't remember what).

Aside from these problems I like this tv a lot!

I had not realized there was a thread about these tvs here until yesterday. I'll post an update on the repair later.
post #9115 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDme View Post

I got my 5089 and set it up a week and a half ago on Dec 14. Got it primarily for PS3 and XBOX360, but have realized I will be watching DVDs and Bluray movies more than I thought. I was mostly pleased with PQ and geometry. However I do see slight RBE but it's almost difficult to detect, has not given me a headache or eye strain, and so for me it's NBD.

There seems to be some amount of green push, I'd say a mid amount. It's not extreme but enough that I am not getting satisfactory color on DVD and Bluray movies; yellows are greenish, skin tones are not red enough and boosting red makes lips turn magenta. Light blues go cyan/aqua-ish. Shadows have a green cast like The Matrix only not intended. The push is the worst in xvYCC color mode but isn't that mode the best for color range?

I did not have the traditional halo effect, but one that my local technician as well as the Samsung engineer he called while here had never heard of before: there is a large, soft glow in the center that appears to have a shadow in the lower half. It looks something like a mountain range just after sunset, except the "sky" part is just gray. Along the edge there seems to be a faint reddish fringe. It's visible only when the screen is black or during dark scenes in movies.

The tech swapped out my non-painted lens bracket but that didn't help. He didn't have any other parts with him and said he'll return hopefully this week to try something else (I don't remember what).

Aside from these problems I like this tv a lot!

I had not realized there was a thread about these tvs here until yesterday. I'll post an update on the repair later.

I have heard others describe similar "reflections" and it is sometimes caused by external light sources. Have you tried viewing in total darkness to make sure you aren't having an internal reflection from a window or light?
post #9116 of 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

Sorry, but I've checked with both Samsung and Panasonic. Here's Sammy's specific statement to me: "I'm sorry, but our 6180 series is not 24p compatible." I asked about a firmware update and they went on to elaborate that no firmware would be able to alter this. Their explanation included the 60Hz limitations. In short, the 6187 and 6189 cannot deliver 24p video.

BTW, don't you think that if it was 24p capable "out of the box" as you state, I would've been able to either assume that or figure it out? There's a reason that when had everything properly connected, the 24p option in my BD30 setup was grayed out--it recognized that the 6189S wasn't 24p capable. I had tried every way possible to get it, but then eventually learned from multiple sources that it isn't 24p capable. Even two Panasonic technicians explained this. I highly doubt a half-dozen people in the two companies involved would all be wrong.

i have no knowledge of what panasonic would tell you as they did not manufacture the tv. the samsung tech person you spoke with is simply wrong (as evidenced by the 60hz comment...this tv displays at 120hz, which is a key feature used in the 3d application as it splits the image to two 60hz fields)

samsung hlt5689 spec sheet:
3 HDMI v1.3 (accepts signals up to 1080p — 60Hz, 24Hz)

cnet's review of the hlt5687:
"And in case you're keeping track, the HL-T5687S also accepts 1080p in both 60- and 24-frame-per-second varieties."

lab tests confirm the above statements, and if you want visual proof do a quick search earlier in this thread for a/b comparison testimony as well as screenshots. here's an example (on an 87 no less):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post11165575

it's pretty clear that the image is showing 1920x1080@24hz...

sony's bdp-300 passes a 24hz image to the 5689, as does the ps3 (both personally confirmed)

if all of this isn't enough for you then i don't know what else to tell you...
post #9117 of 14851
There's nothing else that can be done, because there is no way to make my 6189S accept 24p. The option is grayed out on my BD30 setup because the 6189S just isn't 24p capable. If you could somehow wave your magic want to turn an apple into an orange, great; otherwise, there's nothing that can be done.

BTW, just because some (incorrect) spec sheet says it's 24p capable doesn't make it so.

Also, this post and the following appear to confirm the inability of the 6187/9 not to handle 24p:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=4294
post #9118 of 14851
I know my 5087s firmware version 1026 accepts 24p from my ps3, can I tell the difference well thats another story.
post #9119 of 14851
Funny that one or two of Samsung's older models can do 24p but their newer "top-of-the-line" models do not.
post #9120 of 14851
I just had the Halo Problem Fixed on my 61 Samsung DLP 6187S. I now have the buzzing noise as well. From this post this seems to be the LED Engine. Is this the same piece that has the black ring installed in it.

I guess what Im wondering is if I call to get the buzzing fixed, will they need to reinstall the black ring for the halo problem or is the light engine a separate piece.

Also what has been the success rate of the light engine replacement actually fixing the buzzing sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung LED Owner's Thread (HLT XX87/89S)