or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Non In-wall rated speaker wire
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non In-wall rated speaker wire

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
So I wired up some of my home theatre, but didn't use rated in-wall speaker wire. I was using the 12gage wire from monoprice that has a very thick shielding (difficult to cut with one pinch with the needle nose). Should I be concerned about this? The wire is actually only running through about 5 feet of wall, the rest in running along my basement ceiling. Thanks..
post #2 of 10
You will get lots of advice on this, but my insurance agent laughed when I asked him about it. He said that in his 28 years with the company he had never heard of a fire caused or made worse by speaker wire and could not imagine that they would deny a claim, just because they found some after the fire. And that he added presumed that there was enough unburnt to identify.

He did say though that if the wiring was part of a remodel that was going to be inspected the building inspectors might have issues.
post #3 of 10
Quote:


Should I be concerned about this?

In general, it's always a better idea to be up to code. For example, if you sell your house, and know there is a code problem, you have to disclose it on the seller disclosure sheet (at least in some states), or the buyer can get back to you to get redress.

Also, if this wire runs through a firewall (say, garage/living space divider), then putting something that'll burn through that wall is not a great idea.

Then again, some people drive without safety belts, and it works fine most of the time...
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Nope, no firewalls, and no inspections. I can always take it out if we move, most of it doesn't even go through insulated walls, just inside, hollow, divider walls. Thanks for the replys. I wasn't really worried about it, I just did one of those head smack "doh!"s when I went to go order some more and realized my mistake.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius View Post

Nope, no firewalls, and no inspections. I can always take it out if we move, most of it doesn't even go through insulated walls, just inside, hollow, divider walls. Thanks for the replys. I wasn't really worried about it, I just did one of those head smack "doh!"s when I went to go order some more and realized my mistake.


It's not that the non in-wall rated wire causes fires, it merely doesn't spread them as easily as a candle wick in the wall. And, in the case of plenum rated, doesn't give off such nasty, toxic fumes if it should burn.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

It's not that the non in-wall rated wire causes fires, it merely doesn't spread them as easily as a candle wick in the wall. And, in the case of plenum rated, doesn't give off such nasty, toxic fumes if it should burn.

Well, I think the 1920's ground paper insulation in my outer walls will provide plenty kindling if needed. The toxicity of the wires may work in our favor as we'll be rendered unconscious from the fumes before we're burned alive. phew!
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius View Post

So I wired up some of my home theatre, but didn't use rated in-wall speaker wire. I was using the 12gage wire from monoprice that has a very thick shielding (difficult to cut with one pinch with the needle nose). Should I be concerned about this? The wire is actually only running through about 5 feet of wall, the rest in running along my basement ceiling. Thanks..

I hope it's not a problem since i did the same thing...except my runs are about 25ft.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

He did say though that if the wiring was part of a remodel that was going to be inspected the building inspectors might have issues.

...The REAL reason to buy rated wire.
post #9 of 10
Another concern of mine aside from running non-inwall rated wires is also not using any wall plates. My wires jut right out of the wall directly to the components. I've heard somewhere that holes in the wall can be a fire hazard and can spread fire more easily.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcuares View Post

Another concern of mine aside from running non-inwall rated wires is also not using any wall plates. My wires jut right out of the wall directly to the components. I've heard somewhere that holes in the wall can be a fire hazard and can spread fire more easily.

It is easy to over worry these low voltage wiring issues.

Think about the relative fire path for a small hole in the wall through which a speaker wire or coax cable is run, compared with the path using a flammable plastic cover plate (with a hole like a jack-less telephone plate or a connecter of some sort, over a backless (and flammable) low voltage box, that has the very same kind of wire connected on both sides.

If its OK to run a telephone wire through the wall, a speaker wire should be good. Not neat but safe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Non In-wall rated speaker wire