or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Aerial Acoustics Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aerial Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 34

post #991 of 1261
Hi Steve-

Welcome to the Aerial thread. Sorry, but I don't know how to help with your problem. However, I will suggest that you post your question on the Oppo BDP-103 thread (in the Blu-ray players forum).
post #992 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post

Forgot to say that I am using a Rotel Rsp 1570 processor.
Always nice to have another member. I'm just wondering does the Rotel 1570 pass through 3D? You could go to Rotel on line and ask.smile.gif
post #993 of 1261
How many here are using either an AVR's built-in amps, or, a lower powered external amp (120 watts / 8 ohm or so) to power their Aerials?

I'm thinking of downsizing and wondering if I could get by with less power. I typically listen with my volume at -15. I sit maybe 11' from my speakers.
post #994 of 1261
W/3 LR-5's up front you'll need power. I would stick w/the equipment you have.smile.gif
post #995 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

W/3 LR-5's up front you'll need power. I would stick w/the equipment you have.smile.gif

Thanks for confirming what I knew to be the correct answer. I guess I was hoping someone would enable me to think otherwise.
post #996 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Thanks for confirming what I knew to be the correct answer. I guess I was hoping someone would enable me to think otherwise.

Hi David,

I ran my 7B's off a 130 (8 ohm) wpc AVR for a few years. It was certainly adequate, but I don't think the AVR controlled the bass as well as a dedicated amp would in a large room. I'm running them on a potent, small, dedicated amp in a smaller room right now, and the bass is improved. Room or amp? Dunno. The amp is an 160 wpc (dual mono) @ 4 ohm.

Aerials are power sponges. But you won't be unhappy running yours on an AVR alone. Even at your -15 setting, you're likely running just a few watts per speaker at your listening distance.
post #997 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Hi David,

I ran my 7B's off a 130 (8 ohm) wpc AVR for a few years. It was certainly adequate, but I don't think the AVR controlled the bass as well as a dedicated amp would in a large room. I'm running them on a potent, small, dedicated amp in a smaller room right now, and the bass is improved. Room or amp? Dunno. The amp is an 160 wpc (dual mono) @ 4 ohm.

Aerials are power sponges. But you won't be unhappy running yours on an AVR alone. Even at your -15 setting, you're likely running just a few watts per speaker at your listening distance.

Thanks Mudslide-

Your comment regarding the bass control has me wondering; How relevant is that issue since I have my crossovers set at 80hz? Everything below that is handled by my submersive.
post #998 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Thanks Mudslide-

Your comment regarding the bass control has me wondering; How relevant is that issue since I have my crossovers set at 80hz? Everything below that is handled by my submersive.

It should certainly help. I have a special case...our HT room has a big ol' frequency valley from 180 - 280Hz. The Aerials needed better mid-bass presentation in our situation. But I firmly believe that you'll not be unhappy if you decide to downsize and utilize the AVR only. Hook your system up with just a begged/borrowed/or stolen AVR and give it a shot.
post #999 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

It should certainly help. I have a special case...our HT room has a big ol' frequency valley from 180 - 280Hz. The Aerials needed better mid-bass presentation in our situation. But I firmly believe that you'll not be unhappy if you decide to downsize and utilize the AVR only. Hook your system up with just a begged/borrowed/or stolen AVR and give it a shot.

I am thinking about downsizing my Marantz 8801 to the Denon 4520 AVR. If I need to I can keep my Proceed to power my front Aerials, using the 4520 as a pre-amp, and use the on-board amps for my surround channels.

I would have one less component, and, could pocket some money. I wonder if I would even tell a noticeable difference?
post #1000 of 1261
I ran my Mirage M-1s (very large and inefficient) from a Sonos ZP100 for years. It did a fine job. I've run my Model 6s from the ZP100 as well, and they sounded great.
post #1001 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

I am thinking about downsizing my Marantz 8801 to the Denon 4520 AVR. If I need to I can keep my Proceed to power my front Aerials, using the 4520 as a pre-amp, and use the on-board amps for my surround channels.

I would have one less component, and, could pocket some money. I wonder if I would even tell a noticeable difference?
Keeping the proceed w/the AVR seems like a safe decision. Remember these speakers will dip below 3ohms. They also have an 86db sensitivity w/a pair of 9"drivers in each speaker. They do sound their best w/some power behind them.smile.gif
post #1002 of 1261
I had some Aerial 7b's. Actually, I had those, the di/bi pole surrounds, and the CC3B center too. I was powering them off a Rotel 1075 5-ch amp. The Aerial's never sounded bad, I always loved them. Circumstances changed and I ended up with a Krell integrated stereo amp and just the 7b's. The Krell really made a difference, especially at lower volumes. The Rotel gear just didn't provide the detail or punch until it got to mid to high volumes.

Circumstances changed a few times... I now have B&W 804 diamonds up front and a Rotel 1560 receiver pushing them. They're far easier to drive than the Aerial's ever were. They sound nice. I recently borrowed a Bryston 4B SST2 amp, and was baffled at the difference. A nice separate amp can make a real difference.I also never play my system "loud". The SPL never really gets much over 80 at peaks, runs closer to 70 average, and that is at the most. Usually, it's lower than that.

I can't speak at all for the receiver your considering, but if you listen to music with any frequency, I'd really recommend keeping a dedicated amp for the front two at least; so much the better if it powers the front three. If you are primarily concerned with casual listening (not sitting down in front of the speakers) or movies/TV, I don't think you'll notice quite as much of a difference. I hope you can try it out before you make a choice.

BTW, I'm waiting for Michael Kelly to get a new "T" series center, then I'm going back. I LOVE the 7T's!!
post #1003 of 1261
When I turn on the SW 12, I hear a continuous scratching/cracking sound from the woofer.
Does anybody know what is causing it?
post #1004 of 1261
Picked up my Linn TT today and the owner told me that Michael Kelly will be at the store to demo the 6T on Tuesday October 20th. It will be at Audio Visual Therapy in Nashua NH.smile.gif
post #1005 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post

I had some Aerial 7b's. Actually, I had those, the di/bi pole surrounds, and the CC3B center too. I was powering them off a Rotel 1075 5-ch amp. The Aerial's never sounded bad, I always loved them. Circumstances changed and I ended up with a Krell integrated stereo amp and just the 7b's. The Krell really made a difference, especially at lower volumes. The Rotel gear just didn't provide the detail or punch until it got to mid to high volumes.

Circumstances changed a few times... I now have B&W 804 diamonds up front and a Rotel 1560 receiver pushing them. They're far easier to drive than the Aerial's ever were. They sound nice. I recently borrowed a Bryston 4B SST2 amp, and was baffled at the difference. A nice separate amp can make a real difference.I also never play my system "loud". The SPL never really gets much over 80 at peaks, runs closer to 70 average, and that is at the most. Usually, it's lower than that.

I can't speak at all for the receiver your considering, but if you listen to music with any frequency, I'd really recommend keeping a dedicated amp for the front two at least; so much the better if it powers the front three. If you are primarily concerned with casual listening (not sitting down in front of the speakers) or movies/TV, I don't think you'll notice quite as much of a difference. I hope you can try it out before you make a choice.

BTW, I'm waiting for Michael Kelly to get a new "T" series center, then I'm going back. I LOVE the 7T's!!

Thanks Grit-

Your experience and explanation is very helpful as our circumstances seem very similar. I think I will swap out my Parasound HCA-1206 for my Proceed HPA3, to power my LR5's, and see if I can hear any differences. I just wonder if I will know if there is any clipping? What would that sound like?
post #1006 of 1261
My system is comprised of the the 7T's driven by a second generation Emotiva XPA-2 (300w/500w) and the CC5 is driven by an Emotiva XPA-1 (500w/1000w). I also use a Hsu Research VTF-15 subwoofer, Mirage m3si's as surrounds (I just couldn't bear to put them in a closet) and PSB 3LR's as the rear speakers. The surrounds and rears are driven by my Yamaha Aventage A3020. Video is a Mitsubishi HC4000 front projector with an Elite R110WH1 screen and transport is an Oppo BDP 103. My listening/viewing room is essentially shoe-box shaped and open at the back. The 7T's have about 200 hours on them now and are wonderful to listen to with incredible sound-staging, pinpoint accuracy and breath-taking transparency. One thought that I would pass on to those contemplating buying the 7T's is to listen to them alternately with the CC5 and the CC3 center channel speakers (I don't have a dealer anywhere near me, so I couldn't do this). The CC5 is very robust and the CC3 may be more appropriate in some listening/viewing rooms.
post #1007 of 1261
The new CC3C is the matching center for the 7T and the soon to be released 6T. I suspect he will upgrade the CC5 when he replaces the discontinued 9 in a couple of years. Michael Kelly is very slow at upgrading his website.smile.gif
post #1008 of 1261
They won't clip unless you turn the sound up real high. I haven't heard clipping myself, but my understanding is that you'll hear a distortion, possibly a clapping or snapping sound. You'd be surprised how much volume you can get out of lower wattage. I'm pretty sure the receiver will provide enough wattage to get them to the volume level you want.

Years ago, I bought B&W 803's (before the diamonds existed). I didn't know hardly anything at the time, but the dealer insisted they would sound just fine on my Yamaha receiver. When i go them home, they didn't sound as good as my Boston Acoustic speakers that cost 1/10th the price. Volume wasn't a problem, but the receiver just didn't make them sing. They sounded awesome at the dealer's, being pushed by some nice Anthem gear. I returned the speakers (that was part of the deal before I agreed to go home with them), and never returned to that particular dealer.

The problem (as far as I can figure) is control of the speaker. Damping factor: the amplifier's ability to stop the speaker (at a given load) from vibrating. Then there's slew rate: how quick the amp can supply power to changing requirements (like gun fire in a movie). That's a pretty lay interpretation of those terms (and the extent of my understanding). However, it seems to be the case that less expensive amplifiers have (when you can find them in the spec sheets) much lower values for damping factor and slew rate than separates and/or more expensive amplifiers.

As a quick example: Rotel does not list either spec for my receiver. Their flagship 5 channel 200 watt amp is 260. Bryston's 2 channel 150 watt amp is listed as greater than 500.

Of course, there are other things that contribute to an amp or any electronics. But those Aerial 7b's really do sound amazing with the right amp/electronics.

One other thing... if you sit down and listen to music, do some looking into the analog/bypass section of the Denon vs Marantz. Also, check on the DACs. I run an outboard Bryston DAC through my Rotel receiver for music and that is the single most impressive upgrade I have ever made. I'm amazed at what a difference that DAC makes to music! But probably any DAC would have outperformed the ones in my receiver. They aren't bad, they just aren't anything amazing to write home about. You could end up with a different sound altogether just on the DACs alone.
post #1009 of 1261

Newbie here.  I've been very happy with my Model 6's powered by c-j Premier 17 preamp and Premier 11A amp.  Love those tubes!

post #1010 of 1261
I do wonder what the audible difference will be between the CC3 and the new CC3C as well as a CC5. I have never really had a chance to compare since I purchased the CC3 when it was first shipped. Never the less, I have no real complaints with anything in the system and I think that my recently adding the SR3s makes a great difference in the immersive quality. I've also had two of the Aragon amps for some time and had to add another one, previously owned, to power the additional two channels. Also, not one to blast my music or movies though the wife says I play the movies too loud. What does she know? smile.gif My theater room is also shoe boxed shaped and pretty long, open in the back as well where all the band gear is stored for rehearsals.
post #1011 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post

I do wonder what the audible difference will be between the CC3 and the new CC3C as well as a CC5. I have never really had a chance to compare since I purchased the CC3 when it was first shipped. Never the less, I have no real complaints with anything in the system and I think that my recently adding the SR3s makes a great difference in the immersive quality. I've also had two of the Aragon amps for some time and had to add another one, previously owned, to power the additional two channels. Also, not one to blast my music or movies though the wife says I play the movies too loud. What does she know? smile.gif My theater room is also shoe boxed shaped and pretty long, open in the back as well where all the band gear is stored for rehearsals.
The tweeter was changed to match the 7 & 6T. I'll be going to the 6T demo later this month and I'll ask Michael Kelly what other changes there were.smile.gif
post #1012 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDFan13 View Post

Newbie here.  I've been very happy with my Model 6's powered by c-j Premier 17 preamp and Premier 11A amp.  Love those tubes!Welcome!! Always nice to have another Aerial owner aboard. I'm a long time Model 6 owner too. smile.gif
post #1013 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

The tweeter was changed to match the 7 & 6T. I'll be going to the 6T demo later this month and I'll ask Michael Kelly what other changes there were.smile.gif

That's not what the pictures of it show. The tweeter looks to have remained the same, and only the bass drivers have changed to (what looks like) those previously in the Model 9's.

If I was being a sceptic, I might surmise that Michael Kelly is using up old stock of those bass drivers, left over from discontinuing the 9's, on the CC3c. Once they are gone, he'll then bring out a CC3T to match the other 'T' moniker speakers, with the matching tweeter!
post #1014 of 1261
Good question. I'll try to clarify later this month when I go to the 6T demo. I'm sure questions on the center will come up. The release of the CC-3C has been rather (lack of a better word) subdued.smile.gif
post #1015 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Good question. I'll try to clarify later this month when I go to the 6T demo. I'm sure questions on the center will come up. The release of the CC-3C has been rather (lack of a better word) subdued.smile.gif

Very much so, but then most of Aerial's product line seems to fly under the radar a little! Could you also ask Michael when his new surround speaker might be released also? Since discontinuing the SR3's Aerial doesn't seem to have any surround speakers at all!
post #1016 of 1261
Will do.smile.gif
post #1017 of 1261
i have been thoroughly enjoying a 5.1 Aerial Acoustics set up which will need to be reoriented to fit a significantly more diminutive room in my new home.

the 5.1 system will be turned into a 3.1 system with a pair of 7Bs, a CC3B and the SW12 subwoofer. the pair of SR3Ms will be offered for sale, the pre/pro will be reprogrammed and the 5x225 power amplifier will enable bi-amping to either the 7Bs or the CC3B. more than half the system use has been for music listening only so the surrounds are not critical here.

i have it on quite good authority that it would be better to bi-amp the CC3B rather than the 7Bs. what say you on the best application of the 2x225 channels that will become available?
post #1018 of 1261
If your amp is capable I would try and bridge the 2 channels and listen to which option you like better. Personally I would bridge the channels.smile.gif
post #1019 of 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1215 View Post

i have been thoroughly enjoying a 5.1 Aerial Acoustics set up which will need to be reoriented to fit a significantly more diminutive room in my new home.

the 5.1 system will be turned into a 3.1 system with a pair of 7Bs, a CC3B and the SW12 subwoofer. the pair of SR3Ms will be offered for sale, the pre/pro will be reprogrammed and the 5x225 power amplifier will enable bi-amping to either the 7Bs or the CC3B. more than half the system use has been for music listening only so the surrounds are not critical here.

i have it on quite good authority that it would be better to bi-amp the CC3B rather than the 7Bs. what say you on the best application of the 2x225 channels that will become available?

If half your system used is for music, you would be better bi-amping your 7B's in preference to the CC3. That said, the benefits of bi-amping are debatable at best. Bridging is a potential option, as Class A suggests, but as Class A points out it 'must' be a capable amp. The 7B's have a 4 ohm minimum impedance, and as bridging normally halves the impedance seen by each amp, your amp needs to be rated for a 2 ohm load. Bear in mind also that noise (as in THD) generated by an amp, increases as impedance is reduced.

Your best option may therefore still be running in single channel mode. Indeed if your five amp channels run off a shared power supply/transformer, you might find that you get more than 225W when less than five channels are running.

All that said, by personal recommendation would be to keep the SR3's and try and integrate them somewhere if you can - you will miss them when they are gone!
post #1020 of 1261
Class A and Wookii,

Thank you both for your input and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post

...as Class A points out it 'must' be a capable amp. The 7B's have a 4 ohm minimum impedance, and as bridging normally halves the impedance seen by each amp, your amp needs to be rated for a 2 ohm load. Bear in mind also that noise (as in THD) generated by an amp, increases as impedance is reduced.

Your best option may therefore still be running in single channel mode. Indeed if your five amp channels run off a shared power supply/transformer, you might find that you get more than 225W when less than five channels are running.

All that said, by personal recommendation would be to keep the SR3's and try and integrate them somewhere if you can - you will miss them when they are gone!

The 5x225 power amplifier used here is the Theta Dreadnaught II (sorry, should have given you that factor up front).

Unfortunately, my media room has been downsized to a space which is a bit more than 10'x12' with the short dimension being the distance between the rear of the screen and the rear of the seating area. My options here are (i) use all equipment to poor effect, (ii) sell all this equipment and start over with a lesser system that fits the space, (iii) sell (or store for some unknown future use) the SR3s and make the most of the space with the other Aerial speakers (all of which I love), or (iv) sell all this equipment and default to my dedicated two channel system which is a pair of Audio Physic Virgos driven by Krell KAV-300i and KAV-300cd. I am currently exploring option (iii).

Life always presents trade-offs and I am excited about my new home but it does limit the HT options - you see the conundrum?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Aerial Acoustics Owners Thread