or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - Page 10  

post #271 of 4792
It may mean the recording is done as an NTSC signal (Standard Def 4:3 anamorphic- like a standard DVD format) but will be recorded from an ATSC tuner signal output which will be clearer with 5.1 DD formatted audio.
post #272 of 4792
Got mine hooked up tonight. Light years ahead of the Polaroid. That one is going back tomorrow. OTA its loses 55.1 which the Polaroid picked up. I dunno the LG wouldn't pick up 55.1 either. Must be something different about the tuners. No worries, I never use that channel anyway. I'll just miss out on some of the NBA and MLB local games. Don't really watch those much.

Menus and remote are amazingly better. Will be playing more over the weekend I am sure. BTW.. I plugged it in, walked away, came back, and the time was set. Works like previously stated.
post #273 of 4792
Well I picked up a second unit after work in trade for my first one. So far the tuner picks up everything the LG4200a I have does and has a dead on lock too on QAM
The first one was definitely defective as it would only pick up to 85 on it's own and kept loosing all QAM channels.
This one when finally done had up to 117 with many subs and even got the discover channel on 104.3, the LG calls it 104.303 and the first unit would not pick it up even when I direct entered the number. So far no channel loss, set time automatically right after I had initial setup done, picture and sound are clean and in stereo when apliable plus it has a bunch of extra audio/video options to fine tune the box, and the remote works and it's quiet.
So beware, some of these things have a bad digital tuner in them, test the crap outa it after you get it to make sure you have a good one.
Happy camper now...
post #274 of 4792
The reports on this unit are quite encouraging. It seems to be a fully functional model without any really gross warts (other than poor QC for units going out the door). A 1st gen unit this good for $300 is going to set the bar pretty high. It is going to be very hard for Panasoinc to come in with a $450 HDD unit unless it does something really spectacular. And, by the time they do Phillips should be on at least their 2nd-gen model.

Here's a thought, nearly all markets are not broadcasting digital at full power and probably won't until they can turn off their analog transmitters. Once digital broadcasting is up to ful power, we may see many of these signal reception problems disappear.
post #275 of 4792
Timbo, mine won't pick up 55.1 either in North Olmsted. My cheap ilo TV gets it sporadically. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Actually, this unit got 55.1 for about a day, then it disappeared. TV dropped it at the same time. I don't think they're at full power. Atmospherics probably have a lot to do with it. Can't get 25 either, but they're notoriously hard to get. 3.1 & 3.2 come in perfectly, which the TV can't get. Happily, I get 49.1, 2 & 3 just fine. I hear that 49.1 will switch to PBS HD with 49.2 becoming their SD feed (slightly different programming on both) as of July 1. I'm curious to know where you're at. I'm in a high rise at the corner of Columbia Rd. and Mastick (just south of 480). Have clear line of sight to the Parma antenna farm.

Glad to hear you got a good one Dartman.
post #276 of 4792
Yeah, thanks Tim, think I'll let it run for a while then decide about popping it open and trying a bigger drive. Need to get a HDMI cable too and see what I get with that. I have to admit for a SD signal across Svideo it sure looks clean, no dropouts or channel loss as of yet either.
Need to try the direct dub as well to see what I end up with on the machine and when I go back to another disk...hmmmm...the possibilities...
post #277 of 4792
For my DVDR3575H I first hooked up component connectors. Am curious about the upconversion capabilities so I want to try HDMI. I know HDMI cables are expensive and I went to the superstore we have near here and there are some at $80, $60, $40 and $20 for 6ft / $24 for 9ft. The $20/$24 ones were in two different places in the store. I bought one of the $20 types, can always return it if I need to. Any reason not to use this one? I intend to use it and check the pic for any problems. If it's good, I'm wondering why we'd need to spend 80 bucks for a gold plated connector cable in a package that looks like it would survive a 1 mile undersea dive. In the past I did some research on various cables and the general consensus was that pricey cables were overpriced.
post #278 of 4792
Well it finally lost all the digital presets tonight but I think I know what did it...
I was on analog mode and hit setup to manually add/delete the normal channels I don't want, when I went back to digital mode it tried to scan the last channel it was on then quit with a blue screen. I did a rescan and it found all the channels of both types fine again so I did another analog edit and after I went back and forth then did a bunch of channels it lost the digital ones again...hmmmm.
So I did a manual add of the native channels I remembered from the digitals and it found them again and allowed me to add them back in and they stayed put, plus my analog edits are still there as well. So it still isn't perfect but as long as I didn't trick out my channel lineup it was doing fine. it would re find every channel again, the first unit would not find half of them.
I think for those of you doing OTA atsc/analog this might not be a issue.
I think another brave soul using QAM should try what I did to see if their unit does it as well so we know what works and what doesn't for sure. Then maybe if it's consistent we can let Philips know and hope for a firmware update to fix what we find...
post #279 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex king View Post

That's what I don't understand about the Pause Live TV deal. It seems redundant to just doing a scheduled or one-touch recording, as it doesn't have any additional functionality that I can tell, and you can't save the buffer.



I tried both and neither seem to work.

I missed this one earlier. Actually, try HOLDING the REC button Down for 3-5 seconds in a row. I got mixed up in my earlier post. Sorry. Please let me know if this works. thanks.
post #280 of 4792
the 3575 arrived today in the display box via UPS with no banged up corners or ripped box. Ups has a history of bringing broke items. haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. Does anyone know if there's an update for it? and after the update, is it better?

you're right murow, all the pricey things are just that, pricey. anyone that's in the accessory market is in for a money machine. Get the people to make them for 25 cent's a piece, pay the help another 10cents per item and resell in america for 20 dollar. We need to figure out who makes ipod knockoff accessories and invest in their stock. Probably better than mcdonalds.
post #281 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Here's a thought, nearly all markets are not broadcasting digital at full power and probably won't until they can turn off their analog transmitters. Once digital broadcasting is up to ful power, we may see many of these signal reception problems disappear.

I hope you're right about that. What's your source?
BTW my 3575 has better DTV reception than either my STB
or my Toshiba TV.
post #282 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Well I picked up a second unit after work in trade for my first one. So far the tuner picks up everything the LG4200a I have does and has a dead on lock too on QAM
The first one was definitely defective as it would only pick up to 85 on it's own and kept loosing all QAM channels.
This one when finally done had up to 117 with many subs and even got the discover channel on 104.3, the LG calls it 104.303 and the first unit would not pick it up even when I direct entered the number. So far no channel loss, set time automatically right after I had initial setup done, picture and sound are clean and in stereo when apliable plus it has a bunch of extra audio/video options to fine tune the box, and the remote works and it's quiet.
So beware, some of these things have a bad digital tuner in them, test the crap outa it after you get it to make sure you have a good one.
Happy camper now...


OK, so I shop at the wood village walmart too. So when if I see a returned unit, there I should pass huh? *g*

Rick
post #283 of 4792
The one on display was a open box unit, box was also beat up but unit might be just fine if they'll sell it.
My old one they said they were going to write a defective tag on and send back or whatever they do with them. Anyways that box was in great shape and I hadn't even opened the bag with the manuals and cables in it.
The new one seems to still be holding the channels as long as I don't mess with resetting the analog ones again.
I also slapped in a dvd I burned last night and started playing it then hit direct dub, it capped the whole thing right to the HD just as claimed. Once it's in direct dub mode only way to stop it is to hit stop on the front of the machine, otherwise remote is locked out and it just goes till it's done in real time.
post #284 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

The one on display was a open box unit, box was also beat up but unit might be just fine if they'll sell it.
My old one they said they were going to write a defective tag on and send back or whatever they do with them. Anyways that box was in great shape and I hadn't even opened the bag with the manuals and cables in it.
The new one seems to still be holding the channels as long as I don't mess with resetting the analog ones again.
I also slapped in a dvd I burned last night and started playing it then hit direct dub, it capped the whole thing right to the HD just as claimed. Once it's in direct dub mode only way to stop it is to hit stop on the front of the machine, otherwise remote is locked out and it just goes till it's done in real time.


I'm not really in a hurry just now, but I know I'll want one by fall. I'll be feeding mine with OTA to rf in and Dish (not HDDish) to L1 input. I have one Pio 531 with 80 Gig HD and with program guide, (which has worked fine now since Jan).

Sounds like this one should do the trick.

Thanks,
Rick
post #285 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow2 View Post

For my DVDR3575H I first hooked up component connectors. Am curious about the upconversion capabilities so I want to try HDMI. I know HDMI cables are expensive and I went to the superstore we have near here and there are some at $80, $60, $40 and $20 for 6ft / $24 for 9ft. The $20/$24 ones were in two different places in the store. I bought one of the $20 types, can always return it if I need to. Any reason not to use this one? I intend to use it and check the pic for any problems. If it's good, I'm wondering why we'd need to spend 80 bucks for a gold plated connector cable in a package that looks like it would survive a 1 mile undersea dive. In the past I did some research on various cables and the general consensus was that pricey cables were overpriced.

Do not waste your money on high priced HDMI cables. You can get 3 gold plated HDMI cables for $20, free shipping. http://www.pcmicrostore.com/partdeta...4653&kbid=1237

I bought three a couple months ago and they work fine.

Keep an eye out on www.techbargains.com for super deals on high tech toys...
post #286 of 4792
Also Monoprice on this site.
post #287 of 4792
Am I just missing it or is there nothing in the DVDR3575H/37's menu
for hard disc maintainance? I don't see anything either in the manual
or the menu, either for defrag or format (my Lite-On HD-A760GX has
a defrag feature).
post #288 of 4792
Don't think I've seen anything like a format or defrag function in the setup menu but I'm still learning the menus and what they can do. Maybe they figure delete multiple titles is the same thing who knows.
The 2001g polaroid has a format function as you know.
post #289 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Don't think I've seen anything like a format or defrag function in the setup menu but I'm still learning the menus and what they can do. Maybe they figure delete multiple titles is the same thing who knows.
The 2001g polaroid has a format function as you know.

I haven't tried the delete multiple titles yet.
If you should discover an undocumented feature
let me know.
post #290 of 4792
Unless someone reports some significant issues this one seems to be leading the pack on doing the best job so far of all these gen 1 atsc dvd recorders.
post #291 of 4792
Well my QAM tuner still looses channels but so far I just add them back in and it doesn't do it every 5 minutes like my first unit was doing. Manual says you can only delete digital cable channels, not add. You can add or delete analog so maybe it has something to do with the way the tuners are tied together.
Think I'll just bug Philips and see if they know about it and have fixes on the way or a work around.
The dubbing functions are hidden in the setup menu unless you just want to do a slow disk to HD by using the direct dub button. It does work, the dvd I slammed in there was complete, chapters and all, but only 2.0 sound.
The disk I made from it has very good burn quality but I did use some premium TY media.
post #292 of 4792
I just noticed something rather strange. The specific problem doesn't actually effect me, but it could effect others, or may be demonstrating a subtle issue.

I am OTA only. My TV is a Philips 42PF7320A, which has it's own ATSC/NTSC tuner. The antenna feed goes through a passive 2 channel splitter to my DVDR3575H Recorder and the TV so they get virtually identical input signals.

The Denver PBS station is KRMA. Its digital transmitter broadcasts 2 minor channels (6.1 and 6.2) on its assigned UHF 18 frequency.

I don't have issues with 6.1. If I watch through the Recorder, 6.2 has no sound. If I watch through the TV tuner, the sound is there. The 6.2 broadcasts are in Spanish (which I don't speak), which is why this specific problem has no effect on me. I didn't notice the issue for a while since I quickly skip through 6.2 when looking at the recorder output. On 6.1 The sound is the same, whether the audio is set to 1/2(English) or 2/2(Spanish) according to the info display. On 6.2 there is no sound at all, regardless of whether the audio is set to 1/2(English) or 2/2(Spanish) according to the info display. KRMA is the only digital station I have active that reports multiple language choices.

The sound is fine on 2.2 and 9.2 which are the other minor channels I receive normally. The other local PBS station is KBDI. With my current antenna alignment, the signal is too weak to watch it, but there is sound on 12.1, 12.2 and 12.3(Spanish).

I have tried every audio setting I could find on the Recorder and the TV that I thought would have an effect, but still no sound on that one minor channel.

I am curious if anyone else has seen anything similar.
post #293 of 4792
I just did some playing with an OTA program I recorded a couple of nights ago. I used the "Delete Scenes" to remove the leader, commercials, and trailer. I then did a "High" dub to a DVD+RW disk. I am not a real videophile, but I am personally delighted with the results.
post #294 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

I just did some playing with an OTA program I recorded a couple of nights ago. I used the "Delete Scenes" to remove the leader, commercials, and trailer. I then did a "High" dub to a DVD+RW disk. I am not a real videophile, but I am personally delighted with the results.

I love the Delete Scene feature. With my Lite-On I could delete scenes,
but first I had to Split the program at the beginning, then again at the
end of the commercial, then go back and delete, then I had to Merge
the sections back together. It worked, but this new system is much better.
post #295 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Well my QAM tuner still looses channels but so far I just add them back in and it doesn't do it every 5 minutes like my first unit was doing. Manual says you can only delete digital cable channels, not add. You can add or delete analog so maybe it has something to do with the way the tuners are tied together.
Think I'll just bug Philips and see if they know about it and have fixes on the way or a work around.
The dubbing functions are hidden in the setup menu unless you just want to do a slow disk to HD by using the direct dub button. It does work, the dvd I slammed in there was complete, chapters and all, but only 2.0 sound.
The disk I made from it has very good burn quality but I did use some premium TY media.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else reports your issue. One would have to wonder if your cable provider is doing something with the channels that is confusing the recorder, since you had such bad experience with both the Polaroids and your first Philips. I'm OTA only, so I can't offer any experience.
post #296 of 4792
I just went to my local Wal*Mart to see if this unit was in (the website said Out of Stock for online purchases, but said my local store was In Stock). So I went to the shelf and they had a sticker for it, but no display unit or any stock either (it was right next to the Polaroid 160gb w/Digital Tuner that they had in stock).

I am in no immediate hurry for the Philips 3575, but I do plan on getting one when they have them. Most websites that sell it (ie: B u y . c o m) are out of stock, and A m a z o n is taking pre-orders, but I would rather get it locally in case of any problems for the easier return ability.

Does anyone in here know where I can get my hands on a download-able Owners Manual? The Philips website just has the leaflet and not the full manual.
post #297 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Well my QAM tuner still looses channels but so far I just add them back in and it doesn't do it every 5 minutes like my first unit was doing.

With Kenavs not having channel dropouts with OTA, you might see if you're being bitten by the "DST bug."

Pretty easy to check:
1.Set clock manually.
2. Turn DST OFF.

Some people have had to reset their units before making the clock changes, but try the clock changes first just to see???

This has stopped channel loss from some Philips units.
post #298 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post

Does anyone in here know where I can get my hands on a download-able Owners Manual? The Philips website just has the leaflet and not the full manual.

When you are on the Philips Consumer Products DVDR3575H/37 page, if you look to the right of the picture of the unit and just down a little you should see the link to "Product Support". There you will find:
+ User manual
Posted Date: 04/19/2007 Size = 13,982 KB
+ Leaflet
Posted Date: 05/29/2007 Size = 379 KB
+ Quick start guide
Posted Date: 04/19/2007 Size = 1,647 KB
post #299 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

When you are on the Philips Consumer Products DVDR3575H/37 page, if you look to the right of the picture of the unit and just down a little you should see the link to "Product Support". There you will find:
+ User manual
Posted Date: 04/19/2007 Size = 13,982 KB
+ Leaflet
Posted Date: 05/29/2007 Size = 379 KB
+ Quick start guide
Posted Date: 04/19/2007 Size = 1,647 KB

Thanks, exactly what I needed.
post #300 of 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim55avs View Post

Do not waste your money on high priced HDMI cables. You can get 3 gold plated HDMI cables for $20, free shipping. http://www.pcmicrostore.com/partdeta...4653&kbid=1237

I bought three a couple months ago and they work fine.

Keep an eye out on www.techbargains.com for super deals on high tech toys...

Ok thanks for this! Now I have an HDMI question: As I mentioned I had been using component connectors then switched to HDMI. Pic clear enough and possibly a little sharper but I lost all ability to resize the pic's aspect ratio in the Sony 32" LCD set. I push the button to rotate settings and get on screen message saying that's not available with this signal. In component hookup, can rotate the Philips unit thru all the aspect ratio options, it's great! Am really disappointed. Maybe this has been discussed here, see talk about flagged 16:9 recordings etc, don't know the terms. But I think I am going to undo my HDMI hookup and go back to component if that's the only way I can get the gamut of aspect ratios, the distortion is too strong to view them stretched. I tried the Video aspect ratio settings in the Philips, they didn't give the desired result, distortion still strong one way or another. Am I doing something wrong? This is confusing, why would it be engineered this way? Must admit, ability to play back any recording with any aspect ratio is good, with component it works just like a normal channel. It seems that I am recording in 16:9 too.

Other question: Can we use both HDMI and component hookups and switch TV inputs from one to the other? this would allow some HDMI viewing in 720, 1080 modes if the incoming signal aspect ratio is correct.

Well I've answered my own question but for others, it appears you can have both a HDMI connection and component together, and when the aspect ratio is right for HDMI then that input can be used on the TV or AV center. Maybe newer sets than mine correct for this, but I've not had any other input problems except this one in HDMI input for changing aspect ratios. The difference between pic clarity using HDMI vs component seems to be small, but the case can be made that HDMI upconverted to 720 or 1080 is just a little bit clearer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner