or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Panasonic DMR-EZ17K DVD Player/Recorder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic DMR-EZ17K DVD Player/Recorder - Page 2

post #31 of 440
Thanks Guys!

People have asked in the HTPC forum about recording the SD subchannel using an HD tuner card in a PC. Guess I assumed it was always there. The Panny only tuned in one subchannel (The Worship Network on ION, formerly PAX TV).

I suspected it was the station encoding the 4:3 material with black bars on the sides. Will have to keep checking for a way to get it full screen. Have read thru the manual 3 times and been looking around the menu screens. However, I am more than happy to be able to record widescreen material in letterbox format vs full screen on my cable.
post #32 of 440
So has anyone else tried this unit with a 16:9 TV in the 480p mode to see if it properly switches between 16:9 and 4:3 programming? A couple other people have used in on 4:3 TVs and it works fine, but I'm wondering whether my unit is defective or if all of them have the same problem (where when set to 480i, it will switch to widescreen for 16:9 OTA or DVDs, but send 16:9 programming squished to 4:3 in 480p). Any experience with the other DMR-EZ series models on this issue (like the model with the VCR or one's with HDMI output)? Thanks.
post #33 of 440
Does the ez17 tuner have qam? Has anyone tried to pick up unscrambled cable channels?
post #34 of 440
I finally got some DVD-RAM to use in this recorder (Panasonic w/o cartridge). Couldn't find any at Staples, RadioShack, or Best Buy; ordered online. Couple comments:

1. It does record 16:9 content in 16:9 format with DVD-RAM, so plays back correctly. So high definition widescreen primetime shows are recorded and play back as expected. On DVD-R/RW, I have to manually restretch widescreen recordings with the TV aspect ratio settings.

2. Chasing playback works fine with DVD-RAM. So you can be recording something and watch something else on the disc at the same time, or the same show you are recording. Things like pausing, fast forwarding, and 30 second skip work fine.

Still haven't heard back from Panasonic on the issue with 16:9 480p settings not displaying widescreen material correctly (it wants to squish the 16:9 stuff to 4:3, it is not pan&scanned or cropped in any way, so I can manually stretch it out with the TV; but then 4:3 source material is also stretched wide). So anyone have a 16:9 TV and tried this yet? Thanks.
post #35 of 440
Is anyone else using the EZ17K for timer recording? While I am still very pleased with the unit for OTA reception and recording quality. I have been finding the timer to be somewhat hit or miss. Some of my settings don't record at all. Some record half or most of my setting and stop. The other night it said it ran out of disc space (in FR mode no less!) yet the whole recording was there. Last week, it somehow condensed Ugly Betty down to a half hour!?!

Could this be a problem with my unit or somehow with the digital channels? I sure wish I could depend on the timer. My older analog DVD recorders are pretty much 100% reliable in this regard.
post #36 of 440
Just picked up the ez17 at Target and thought I would give some impressions.

Pros:
1. It does have a qam tuner and picks up unscrambled cable channels - even though Panny Customer service said it didn't
2. Very fast digital tuner - 1 sec or less
3. Displays current and next program on OTA digital channels
4. Good Picture
5. Universal remote will control several tv's

Cons
1. Remote has to be dead on to work
2. Archaic display on front of box
3. When surfing with the tuner, it changes channels in order regardless of Analog or Digital (ex. 2,3,3-1,3-2,4,5,5-1 etc.) Can't just scan the digital or analog and you surf local analog, then same in digital. May be a positive for you but I like to scan the digital channels first. Would like to be able to program local HD channels to pick up instead of analog while surfing.
4. Limited connections on back of box (Compared to the LG dr787t)
5. No HDMI

Been trying the LG for a couple of weeks and believe I am going to stick with that. Hope this helps someone.
post #37 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeVideoGuy View Post

Is anyone else using the EZ17K for timer recording? While I am still very pleased with the unit for OTA reception and recording quality. I have been finding the timer to be somewhat hit or miss. Some of my settings don't record at all. Some record half or most of my setting and stop. The other night it said it ran out of disc space (in FR mode no less!) yet the whole recording was there. Last week, it somehow condensed Ugly Betty down to a half hour!?!

Could this be a problem with my unit or somehow with the digital channels? I sure wish I could depend on the timer. My older analog DVD recorders are pretty much 100% reliable in this regard.

I've been using the scheduled timer function for a week or so. No problem that I've noticed. Been recording the 5 and 6 pm reruns of the Simpsons every week day.
post #38 of 440
A couple comments on Iceman's post:

Pretty much share your comments, but the channel surfing comment is a bit off base from what most people might want or expect. Not all channels are in digital yet, so it would make sense to just scan through them in order. I've manually deleted most of the analog channels if there is a corresponding digital one so I don't have to surf through both. Nice part about that, is if there is an analog channel 13 and a digital 13.1, if you delete "13" you only have to type "13" in and it will take you to 13.1 digital. My sony HDTV won't do that, you have to still type in 13.1. Other than this, my Sony HDTV surfs exactly the same 5, 5.1, 8.1, 8.2, 11, etc. if I haven't deleted them out.

I've also never understood the big deal about having HDMI out on a DVD player/recorder or "upscaling". First, none of the new ATSC DVD recorders actually outputs high definition, even over HDMI. They downscale it to standard definition, and then upscale it back out the HDMI. As far as a standard DVD player, who cares whether the TV or the DVD player modifies the image to fit the native resolution of the TV, so what's the point of an "upscaled" image out of the DVD player. The TV will just upscale the standard 480p signal itself if it needs to.

Maybe, and a big maybe, at least with the ATSC DVD recorders the signal might stay all digital, from high definition reception, downscaled to 480p, and upscaled back to high definition out the HDMI. So it might be slightly better than going out the component where it is converted to analog.
post #39 of 440
I am having the same problems with my unit. I have had several instances where the unit did not record my program. Often when this happens, the unit is stuck in the ready record state several hours later. It looks like it thinks it is recording, but the record timer is still at 00:00. I have to hit the stop button and tell it that yes I want to cancel the recording, even though there is nothing there. Also had an instance of manually recording and setting the timer for 1 hour recording; everything looked like it was working when I went to sleep. When I woke up the next morning, the unit was locked up and nothing on the disk.

Generally when it starts having a problem or locks up, I unplug the unit and plug it back in and the problem goes away... for a few timed recordings.

I called Panasonic twice and they were of no help. The first time, I had reset the unit before I called and they told me that there was nothing that they could do if we could not replicate the problem. So that night it happened again. I called Panasonic again... The unit was locked up so they helped me to reset the unit (by unplugging it). They suggested that I could have caused it with a bad disc, hitting too many buttons at once or recording copywrited materials. Well, the disc I was using worked before and after the fault, It usually happens while I am sleeping, and I am recording PBS channels at night, so I don't believe that any of these are the cause. He then told me that I could request service on the unit and send it in to them. He had no answer about whether anyone else had the same problem.
post #40 of 440
I am checking into whether the timing problem is media related. I do not recall having the problem when I had a DVD-RAM in (or DVD+R for that matter). I have primarily been using Sony DVD+RW disks... Any one know of problems with Sony DVD+RW disks?
post #41 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1975 View Post

I am having the same problems with my unit. I have had several instances where the unit did not record my program.

Same thing with my ES20.

I only used DVD-RAM.

Would happen about 10% of the time, just enough that could not trust it and had to babysit things I really wanted to be sure it would record.
post #42 of 440
It happened last night to me first time with my DMR-ES15. No matter what I did (and I tried everything) it would not record or allow me to format the DVD-Ram. It just stayed as if I was not trying to do anything. Finally I unplugged it, and when I plugged it back in it was like a new player, but by then the program was half over. Luckily the program is on again later this week, and I will have to record it "live" and pray it works. Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one this is happening to. My DMR-ES10 never did this!
post #43 of 440
A simple thing to test with the Panny units with record problems:

1. Set clock manually.
2. Turn DST OFF.

If that helps, you can try turning auto-clock on again (if that's the way you like to run the clock) but keep DST OFF.
post #44 of 440
Got a EZ27 to replace my dead ES20

BB had 2 of them.

Hooked up to my cable, no box.

Analog channel scan took a couple of minutes.

Then it went to digital channel scan. Took about 10 minutes.

Found a bunch of new channels and duplicates of existing channels (but with better picture).

For example, my regular SPIKE looks like poo, but the digital spike on my analog tv looks great.

I will report back later, have no way of knowing where each new channel is, have to start taking notes.
post #45 of 440
Oh, changing channels on the digital ones takes about 2.5 seconds, regular channels about 1 second.
post #46 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman View Post

Does the ez17 tuner have qam? Has anyone tried to pick up unscrambled cable channels?

I think the EZ17 has the same tuner as my EZ27.

Yes I picked up a bunch of digital channels. No STB, Time Warner (formerly Adelphia) here in Riverside, CA.
post #47 of 440
One thing that really sucks, to delete a channel you have to go into setup.

It is a royal PITA.

Too bad since there is a delete button right on the remote.
post #48 of 440
I am setting my clock manually and have DST set to off. I am using Sony DVD-R's. Have not tried other media as Sony seems to be the most reliable in my other recorders.

I would say it misses or messes up my recordings closer to 50% of the time. Way too unreliable to be sure I record my shows. Actually once is enough.

At first it only happened on my ABC affiliate, so I thought it may have been ABC but then I started noticing problems with other recordings too. I was able to get it to work most times by using FR mode, which is OK with me but would like to eventually use DVD-DLs in LP mode for weekly recording. Just not always reliable.

I had to shut power off on my house this weekend (for other reasons but same as unplugging the EZ17K). Will see what happens this week.
post #49 of 440
BTW - When the EZ17K loses power, it stores your record schedule, but the clock flashed 12:00 A until you reset it. My PBS station is not broadcasting the time so I can't Auto Set the time. Great engineering Panasonic!
post #50 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

A simple thing to test with the Panny units with record problems:

1. Set clock manually.
2. Turn DST OFF.

If that helps, you can try turning auto-clock on again (if that's the way you like to run the clock) but keep DST OFF.

Thanks!! I didn't have auto clock on as it never worked. I turned off the DST on Sunday and have not had one problem since... I hope that this was the fix.
post #51 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

I think the EZ17 has the same tuner as my EZ27.

Yes I picked up a bunch of digital channels. No STB, Time Warner (formerly Adelphia) here in Riverside, CA.

Do any of the digital channels have extremely long subchannel numbers? In Hampton Roads, VA, Cox puts the local affiliates' HD signals on subchannels like 106.33557 and 106.33558. I have read that a lot of people with older model DVD recorders cannot input these channel numbers due to number of digits in the subchannel and thus are unable to record these HD broadcasts.

Danny
post #52 of 440
The longest ones I know of are like this:

105-910

that is the most alphanumeric characters I can enter so I hope there's not more out there
post #53 of 440
Well, I thought I had the timer problem licked after pulling the power last weekend. I already had the clock set to manual set and DST to off. It recorded fine all week in FR mode; until last night. To date, after a month of use, it will not record Ugly Betty on ABC although it recorded ABC on Tuesday and Wednesday night. Could this be ABC?
post #54 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman View Post

Remote has to be dead on to work

Check the owners manual, there is a 30 degree window in which it will work. Also make sure your batteries are in good shape.

Quote:


No HDMI

There isn't ANY manufacture that is offering HDMI in a entry level unit. You'll need to move up one model to the EZ27 for HDMI
post #55 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeVideoGuy View Post

Well, I thought I had the timer problem licked after pulling the power last weekend. I already had the clock set to manual set and DST to off. It recorded fine all week in FR mode; until last night. To date, after a month of use, it will not record Ugly Betty on ABC although it recorded ABC on Tuesday and Wednesday night. Could this be ABC?

Some WAGs:

Are you timer recording anything else before or after Ugly Betty, but maybe nothing before or after the Tue./Wed. programs?

I'm also a little supsicious of the FR mode with discs, unless you're starting with a blank disc...may not be calculating space correctly? With -R/-RW, "border zones" between multiple recordings might be causing problems with space calculation???

Have you tried a +R to see if any diff.? +R needs less space for border zones.
post #56 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeVideoGuy View Post

Is anyone else using the EZ17K for timer recording? While I am still very pleased with the unit for OTA reception and recording quality. I have been finding the timer to be somewhat hit or miss. Some of my settings don't record at all. Some record half or most of my setting and stop. The other night it said it ran out of disc space (in FR mode no less!) yet the whole recording was there. Last week, it somehow condensed Ugly Betty down to a half hour!?!

Could this be a problem with my unit or somehow with the digital channels? I sure wish I could depend on the timer. My older analog DVD recorders are pretty much 100% reliable in this regard.


I've had the same FR mode problem a couple times with my Panny ES20 where it said out of space yet the whole recording was there. I'm presuming the recorder is using typical bit rates based on the length of the recording. But if the program happen to use more than typical, then the disc just plain ran out of room. At least the program gets recorded, even it is missing only a few seconds which may not be noticeable. I usually add an extra minute or two to the end of the timer just to be sure I catch the end of the program.
post #57 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Some WAGs:

Are you timer recording anything else before or after Ugly Betty, but maybe nothing before or after the Tue./Wed. programs?

I'm also a little supsicious of the FR mode with discs, unless you're starting with a blank disc...may not be calculating space correctly? With -R/-RW, "border zones" between multiple recordings might be causing problems with space calculation???

Have you tried a +R to see if any diff.? +R needs less space for border zones.

Hey,

No. Each night I put a new blank disc in to record, typically a networks entire line up that night. In other words, I set the timer from 7pm -9pm (give or take) on Wednesday night on ABC to record their entire sitcom lineup that night. I had no luck recording in any other mode but FR but that may have just been my limited test recordings so far. It did miss ABCs Wednesday lineup a couple of weeks ago and I forgot, as I mentioned above, it did attempt to record Ugly Betty one week but somehow condensed my recording to a half hour. I did not watch the entire disc, but my recording started 5 min before the show and ended 5 min into Grey's Anatomy.

I have not tried +R in it yet as I have had the best luck with Sony -R discs in my other recorders. Luckily I have other recorders to use and was testing this one for acquiring multiple units for OTA use. So far, between the timer and audio issues (see this thread) I am not sure I can even use this one much less feel good about purchasing more.
post #58 of 440
Does anyone know of anyway to manually add a station to the DMR EZ17 recorder. The auto tune feature misses stations that my outside antenna is not pointed at. and I have been unable to find a way to manually add them. It will not even allow you enter the station with the remote while surfing. If auto tune doesn't tune it in, then it does not exist in the eyes of the units . If I go back and realign the antenna and rescan in then it loses stations from the other direction. Here in eastern NC I have stations in every direction. I called Panasonic and they said no you could not,but it was clear the CSR was only looking through a manual and probably knew less about the unit than I did. Of course you have no problems deleting a station as I did with the 10 duplicate PBS stations. Which by the way thumbs up to PBS as all their stuff is broadcast in proper format no pillar boxing there. You either get a full 4X3 or full wide screen. Thanks in advance for the help
post #59 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by timhkennedy View Post

Does anyone know of anyway to manually add a station to the DMR EZ17 recorder. The auto tune feature misses stations that my outside antenna is not pointed at. and I have been unable to find a way to manually add them. It will not even allow you enter the station with the remote while surfing. If auto tune doesn't tune it in, then it does not exist in the eyes of the units . If I go back and realign the antenna and rescan in then it loses stations from the other direction. Here in eastern NC I have stations in every direction. I called Panasonic and they said no you could not,but it was clear the CSR was only looking through a manual and probably knew less about the unit than I did. Of course you have no problems deleting a station as I did with the 10 duplicate PBS stations. Which by the way thumbs up to PBS as all their stuff is broadcast in proper format no pillar boxing there. You either get a full 4X3 or full wide screen. Thanks in advance for the help

Usually if stations can be added manually, you must enter the actual physical channel number on which they transmit their digital signal, not the virtual channel number which matches their analog signal. And if the tuner tunes both analog and digital, then you have to indicate that you want a digital channel by adding "." or "-" or whatever separator at the end and maybe a subchannel.
post #60 of 440
Have tied entering 8-1 which I tuned I tuned in the beginning, but lost after doing another auto tune. Get the message channel not available
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Panasonic DMR-EZ17K DVD Player/Recorder