or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Moving a 65 inch CRT HDTV?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moving a 65 inch CRT HDTV?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hi

I have a Toshiba 65H84. I may be moving soon. How much damage, if any, may I end up with when I move the Toshiba? I will probably end up using professional movers. Still, I am a little bit nervous about moving this 325 pound monster.

TIA

PS How do they protect these CRT HDTVs. I heard that they put a matress up against the screen?

Best
post #2 of 15
Two other guys and I moved my 65 mits crt across town. We rented a trailer from u-haul that had a ramp. The only scratches was at the very bottom of the wood frame not the screen just from tilting it back to roll up the ramp. No biggie. No problems with the electronics,that was three years ago and it still has a great picture. Just put some pads around it and tie it down real good.
post #3 of 15
i moved my 65 inch mitsu 250 miles in the back of a Penske... hired professional movers, and they were careful with it loading and unloading. i had to adjust convergence, and the usual color setup, etc. but otherwise it was fine.
post #4 of 15
I moved my Sony 65ws510(300 pounds) on my ford 150 pick up truck for around 120 miles,I firm tied at the cargo space and was perfect when I plugged in with zero adjustments
post #5 of 15
I didn't know 65" CRT's even existed, the biggest I've ever seen was a 40" Mistsubishi.
post #6 of 15
Truckers had to remove my 340-lb 64" Philips 64PH9905 from its crate and tip it sideways to fit a freight elevator. Worried most about cracking the very costly front lenticular screen, even though it has a protective clear-plastic outer screen. Guess a mattress or a piece of plywood would be good protection. Obviously it should be mostly moved base down--to avoid stressing the three CRTs, usually vertically mounted. -- John
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

I didn't know 65" CRT's even existed, the biggest I've ever seen was a 40" Mistsubishi.


Hi swifty7

The Toshiba 65H84 is not a direct view, (picture tube) TV. It is a 1080I Rear Projector. It has 3 guns in the base that reflect off a mirror onto a lenticular screen. This is an old technology, but I just saw an ad for a 51 inch Hitachi CRT RPTV for $699 at BB or CC. I can't recommend the Hitahci, because I don't know enough about it.

Still, if you have youngsters, this is the least expensive way to get a 51 inch HD display.

All the Best
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Hi

I have a Toshiba 65H84. I may be moving soon. How much damage, if any, may I end up with when I move the Toshiba? I will probably end up using professional movers. Still, I am a little bit nervous about moving this 325 pound monster.

TIA

PS How do they protect these CRT HDTVs. I heard that they put a matress up against the screen?

Best


When my CRT RPTV went in for a repair, the tech loaded it onto his moving truck (think newer mid-size UHAUL style), draped several clean moving pads/blankets around and over it and attached it to the inside of the truck with nylon moving bands.

Came back the same way and never got a scratch.
post #9 of 15
I'm going to be moving my 51" Hitachi 51F59 pretty soon and i would be open to all suggestions that you guys give the OP. I'm so nervous but so happy (finally my own room!).
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

When my CRT RPTV went in for a repair, the tech loaded it onto his moving truck (think newer mid-size UHAUL style), draped several clean moving pads/blankets around and over it and attached it to the inside of the truck with nylon moving bands.

Came back the same way and never got a scratch.

Thank you jwebbb1970

That sounds very promising.

Regards
post #11 of 15
Just helped move a 65" Sony out of a 3 story Condo & in this case the former owner was much more interested in not damaging his stairwell than what condition the TV was in once out.

We hired a crane for $155.00 for a 2 hour flat rate & had it out (off the balcony) in 15 minutes. Took us 5 hours + to get the thing in there originally.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Hi swifty7

The Toshiba 65H84 is not a direct view, (picture tube) TV. It is a 1080I Rear Projector. It has 3 guns in the base that reflect off a mirror onto a lenticular screen. This is an old technology, but I just saw an ad for a 51 inch Hitachi CRT RPTV for $699 at BB or CC. I can't recommend the Hitahci, because I don't know enough about it.

Still, if you have youngsters, this is the least expensive way to get a 51 inch HD display.

All the Best

Oh! I see, now makes sense, I was about to say how in hell can anybody move such a monster.
post #13 of 15
i drove an 87 kilo direct view CRT 6 hours to my new home . one mattress below the TV (to absorb shock when going over bumps) and 1 mattress covering the screen. If you want something done right....

Drive slow
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtassone View Post

i drove an 87 kilo direct view CRT 6 hours to my new home . one mattress below the TV (to absorb shock when going over bumps) and 1 mattress covering the screen. If you want something done right....

Drive slow

Hi William

I can't move this TV by myself, but I know what you mean about wanting something done right. At one time I was considering the 40 inch Sony tube, but I decided I wanted a really big screen.

Thanks
post #15 of 15
c'mon mate between 2 swarthy men no CRT should be too heavy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Moving a 65 inch CRT HDTV?